Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2012

Kerry.. I made plane reservations, but Katie did my hotel and car service setup... I just gave her my credit card number.

And I have necrosis after stage II... Will see at my October appt what can be done. I am hoping for fat grafting... But the necrosis is about the size of a plum.

• BuenaVenturaBarb
    BuenaVenturaBarb Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2012

Hi Jeskachi,

A TDAP has not come up in the consultations probably because I'm trying to avoid another major surgery and corresponding down time. I understand a flap rotation would require about 2 weeks down time while fat grafting by itself as little as a week. I'm a little worried about being on FMLA for more than a few weeks given the amount of time I was off work last year. Granted, I can't get fired but I sure have noticed some changes in how people treat me. I am a type "A" and had a long standing reputation as the "go to" person where I work. That has changed, but then again, alot has changed in my emotional makeup, outlook on life and priorities Wink.  

• BuenaVenturaBarb
    edited August 2012

Hi bdavis,

Sorry to hear you have a fat necrosis too. I understand that Dr S will actually lipo fat necrosis if it is small enough. When I developed mine, my local PS recommended seeing a radiologist just to be on the safe side. I knew that it was an oily cyst but he insisted on a biopsy and actually tried to talk me into placing a titanium marker at the site. I refused the marker but asked him to aspirate the cyst if he determined the lump to be fat necrosis. He aspirated and I believe that helped my body absorb the balance. I am curious how your doctor will proceed with the removal. Good luck and please let me know how things go.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited August 2012

BuenaVenturaBarb --

OMG!!! You are the first person who actually has spoken to exactly the issue that I am having at work!!! I distresses and depresses me, but I know that, for once in am life, I have to put ME first ... and that apparently is pissing a whole buncha people off. Want to say to them "walk a mile in my shoes" but it really isn't worth the arguement, IMHO. Cancer changes you ... no doubt. Too bad others cannot accept not only the necessary time off (actual jealousy for the mastectomy and reconstruction time off -- like this has been a picnic!), but the necessary personal "reconstruction" after diagnosis. Trying hard not to take the monkey ... that has actually grown to be a gorilla and I may soon request an alternate work assignment as the stress here is deadly ... and some days it is easier than others. Thank you for putting in words what I am living, too.

Maggie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

Buena-- I had a friend go here for a consult, apparently, they are experts in fat grafting. She is considering it for entire breast recon after rads even. You could call and see if they've dealt with a situation like yours??? Just a thought at another angle...

http://www.brava.com/home.asp 

• BuenaVenturaBarb
    edited August 2012

Springtime - I actually considered the Brava approach combined with fat enriched lipo for reconstruction but it is not covered by insurance. One of the doctors I have been consulting with over the past two years is conducting stem cell research for breast reconstruction. He utilizes the Brava to encourage expansion of the breast envelop followed by a series of stem cell injections to create breast mounds. It is a lengthy process but performed in his office. The stem cells are derived via lipo using equipment made by a company named Cytori. This approach has been used in several European countries but was actually pioneered in Japan. It does not have FDA approval so insurance is an issue.  

Maggie - sorry to hear about your challenges  at work. If only there was more mindfulness and compassion...

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2012

Buena, Thanks for posting about this.  I thought most had to live with the "rib" dents/pec movement oddness.  I am looking forward to resolving this at stage 2.  I also have some hard spots that I want to keep so that I retain breast volume!  I thought the hard spots were harmless - are ladies having them removed because they feel weird or are uncomfortable or some other reason?        I am still waiting for surgery authorization...

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited August 2012

Info from the NCI on a phase III trial for metastatic cancer. Thought we had a few folks on the list that might be interested. Sorry if it is a repeat from any other group.

http://www.cancer.gov/ncicancerbulletin/080712/page3 

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

Tamara.... My hard spot is large, like the size of a plum... It can be uncomfortable in comparison to the other side and my concern is that if it chooses to reabsorb, that I will be very lopsided... So I want to be proactive.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2012

Betsy,  That IS important.    How was Sun Valley?  Peace, Tamara

• BuenaVenturaBarb
    edited August 2012

Jane123-my lump appeared less than one month after stage II surgery. It was hard, a little tender to the touch and protruded considerably especially when I pushed my shoulders and arm back. I wanted it removed but did not realize it was at the very spot where a section of rib was removed. My local PS thought it would dissolve over time and encouraged me to wait six months before attempting to have it removed. Luckily, it did go away but now I have another lump slightly higher but it is only the size of a pea. I am a little concerned that this is my second lump since January and pray this is not a recurring problem. I'd love to know if others have experienced recurring lumps. I wonder if these are just more common right after surgery or if they still occur even years after surgery and what actually stimulates their formation. Can anything be done to avoid fat necrosis other than stay clear of fat grafting?

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2012

Esperelda, good to hear you had DIEP with no complications! Really sounds like the way to go is the B/L mas and immediate DIEP if possible for most. Hindsight is a great thing.  That didn't work out for me at that time as I had no fat in my tummy at that time to warrant that procedure.   I didn't think the docs at NOLA do the TRAM procedure, right?  I know your mom had hers in her home town.  Good luck!

Spring, it's good to know you too had no complications from your stackd DIEP GAP surgery.

Nordy, thanks for your lengthy explanation of TRAM procedure.  Everything you have stated makes completely good sense.  Did you develop lymphedema as a result of tyour bi/max here at NOLA?  I hope your lymphedema can be resolved in due time my dear.

My thoughts & prayers are with all you brave women during your healing time and upcoming surgeries.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

I am at the Hotel Monteone in NOLA. We walked the Riverwalk and took a streetcar to the French Market. Found a great bar and had a strawberry daiquiri. Yum!! Looking for a place to eat tonight. And maybe some blues.....Betsy, I think you mentioned Emeril's in the Garden District. We may do that tomorrow.

Resting my tired feet and hydrating with water now.

All of my pre-ops start at 8:00 am, 10:15, 1:30, 2:15 on Thursday. I end up at Fairway and will stay near there the night before. I think I report at 6:00 AM , but have not been told for sure.

I am doing well and slept last night without melatonin.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2012

Cherrie, Have fun tonight and rest assured you are in the best hands.  It won't be long and you will be looking back.  Hugs, Jamie

• sassy43
    sassy43 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012

Cherrie - I have been thinking of you all week here in Michigan.  I too am having my surgery at Fairway in September.  I hope you had a great time at your son's wedding.  You and your family are in will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow :)

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012

Cherrie- so glad you are enjoying NOLA. We had an awesome meal at Delmonicos. Praying that everything goes perfect for you.The first couple of days will be ugly, but you'll get past that quickly. I'm 5wks out and I'd say I feel 93% my old self. Went to a wedding over the weekend and felt so good, I probably danced more lively than I should have! Blessings to you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2012

You sound in a good place, Cherrie! You're in the best of hands....

Aug 17 - Cherrie - BMX and stacked DIEP, Stage 1, Dr. M and Dr. S at Fairway 

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

Hi Tamara... I just got home today... I would have called but my friend told me Boise was 3 hours away... I had a great time.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2012

Naturegirl - you are welcome. And, no, my lymphedema is not a result of anything I had done in Nola. I had my original surgery and treatment - including rads, in Southern California. My lymphedema started shortly after treatment... Actually I think I started feeling the heaviness and discomfort during radiation. And I have not given up hope for a cure... but I don't know that it will come anytime soon.

• naturegirl2
    edited August 2012

Hi Cherrie, glad you are enjoying the good food and such in N. O.  A great place to eat is Commander's Palace in the Garden District.  They have 25 cents martinis at lunchtime as well!:) May I ask why are you going to Fairway for surgery rather than here at NOLA?  I wish you luck and great success with the BC surgery on Friday. 

Hi Nordy, okay.  I sure hope things eventually work out for you with your ongoing lymphedema.

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

I second Commander's... but it isn't check (except maybe the quarter martinis)

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2012

Domenica in the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel, mmmmm. See you next week on the other side Cherrie!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2012

We ended up at GW Fins for dinner. Wow!! It was wonderful. Not sure what this night will bring. My appointment with Dr. Massey has changed to the morning of surgery and I am fine with that. My other appointments are all tomorrow.

My surgery is at Fairway because that is the hospital that my insurance would cover. It is a small surgical hospital in Covington with an excellent reputation. All the Docs at St. Charles also do surgery at Fairway. I was bummed at first but have since heard very good thing about it. Harmonysun and Janelle had their surgeries there in late June.

It is 96, but feels like 106 according to our hotel. The roof top pool is awesome but too hot to sit there. Maybe I need a few more of those daiquiris .

I am shocked at how well I am doing. I slept for 6 hours straight without thinking about it. My mind seems to be in a good place today and I hope this continues.

• naturegirl2
    edited August 2012

Hi Cherrie!

If you go to Commander's Palace at lunchtime,(between 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 pm) they offer three or four lunch specials to choose from for approx. $16-$22., three course meal.  Good luck, we'll all be thinking about you and waiting for the great news!  Go have another daiquiri girl to take your mind off of things.  The white russian daiquiris and p. coladas are great! 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2012

We loved Chef John Besh's new restaurant, BORGNE, in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency. The broiled oysters in garlic butter were awesome. Also had a great meal at Emeril's NOLA restaurant, though it was a 2 hour meal from appetizer to dessert. We enjoyed it though!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2012

Y'all are making me hungry, although I never caught on to oysters. Tongue out

I'm a month out of bilat DIEP now, and it is testing my patience watching the necrotic abdominal incision heal v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I send pictures to the Center weekly and do see some improvement. It requires lots of betadine swabs and ABD pads plus wearing the binder over it 23/7. I wonder if it will be all clear by the end of September (an arbitrary target date, so I'll be surprised if it's better sooner). Fortunately, my stage 2 isn't until December, giving the abdomen enough time to heal before getting a fresh tuck.

I'll PM this to you, Spring, but here is my date: Dec 19 - AnnAlive - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA.

Did any of you have trouble getting off of Percocet? I'm working on it now, having reduced to half a tablet every 12 hours, then I'll go to a quarter tablet a day or two and then quit. I don't need it any more, but read not to go off cold turkey. Forgot to ask the nurse about it, but think I'll be OK. I'm just so fatigued.

• Kd6blk
    Kd6blk Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012

I had my surgery at PRMA. It is different to compare the do's and don'ts before or after surgery. We are not to have alcohol or caffiene from two weeks before to I think four weeks after. There are other differences as well...I am two weeks out today...and doing well after DIEP Flap. New Orleans sounds so fun. My dinner night before was special but I had lost my appetite pre-surgery...

Lisa

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

AnnAlive,     I am 6 weeks out tomorrow and still, once in a while, I need to take a oxy. not so much for post-op pain but a combination of lymphedema flair in my arm and chest/back which makes my post-op incisions, etc become very tender and sore.  It doesn't happen often but when it does I do take one 5 mg.  Glad to hear you are healing!  I had a very small area on my abdominal incision that wouldn't close so Dr. M. had me go to wound care.  Hopefully it will close very soon!

I just received my EOB from my insurance today and I know this isn't really what I owe but it still took my breath away!!!  $130,130.96!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Haven't some of you ladies had this happen and isn't it just a step in the paperwork process???? This was just for the Surgical Center!!!  WOW!!!!

katiejane

• bdavis
    edited August 2012

KatieJane... My bills for SCSH were 190,000 and 140,000 or something like that... and that was only in August. luckily it was all covered... Just got another EOB today from my surgery in Nov... another 30K... they do keep plugging away at the insurance company... seems to work though.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

bdavis,   Thanks for sharing.  I was told by Joanne at The Center that insurance had agreed to cover the facility- that was where I was having problems.  Dr. M. and Dr. S. were in network.  I am so glad the ladies on this thread had shared that they too had received EOB's like this before I opened that envelope today! 

Thanks to all!     Katiejane