Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Chelle, you are welcome!

TeddyBear, I am going to add you to the list! I know you are facing a longer recovery than you thought, but it sounds like the results will be worth it...  I hope you think so too!

Patience, good to hear from you! You sound great! 

Everybody, I am going on a business trip for this upcoming week and if it's like it has been in the past, I won't have much free time. I'll check in if I can. If newbies come, please welcome them, as you always do! And if there are dates you want me to add, a PM is the best so I don't miss it.

Love to all!  

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2012

Well it's my last day at work and I fly out tomorrow. It's 100% chance of rain this afternoon and into tomorrow expecting 2-3 inches of rain. Hoping to make my flight and not have any delays.

I got a lot done, but all the packing with be done tonight. I started to put things together, but nothing is in the suitcases yet...lol

I really hope I get to meet a few of you this week. I have decided to keep my surgery on Thursday either way, but my pre-op will be on Tuesday now.

Spring have a safe trip!!

Good luck today TeddyBear!! You're going to do great!!

Michelle

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012

Hi Ladies. I arrived here in rainy New Orleans this morning. It's supposed to rain all day and tomorrow.

Ladies, you all have been such a great source of information and support since I was first diagnosed. I never would have known anything about NOLA or different reconstruction methods had it not been for you all. My surgery is set for Wednesday morning, and although I'm afraid and excited, I'm really better educated, thanks to all of you sharing your experiences.

For that I need to say THANK YOU.

TTay

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2012

Best wishes, ttay!  Recovery is easier than waiting in a lot of ways.  Enjoy NOLA!

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Good luck  to you Ttay. I'll be around the center tomorrow and surgery on Thursday, so hopefully we will see each other. LAstar is right though that the recovery is easier than waiting in many ways!!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited September 2012

Thinking about you as you start your reconstruction journey, ttay!! And best wishes to you too, Chelle!

Maggie

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2012

Best wishes to those recovering, in surgery and in line!  Healing vibes to all.

I'm two weeks out from stage 2B and will see how things settle.  Who knows what next year will bring!

• lastar
    edited September 2012

Michelle -- best wishes to you in your travels and surgery.  As with Stage 1, you are 2 weeks ahead of me so I will be all-ears in what to expect!

I know I will be getting more nervous as the time gets closer, but I'm amazingly calm for Stage 2 so far.  What a crazy year that makes a 5-hour surgery seem like not such a big deal!   Undecided

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2012

Good Luck to all with upcoming surgeries. My stage 2 is not scheduled until December and I am so ready. Yes LAstar, crazy how it becomes matter of fact, no big deal right ?!

Look forward to hearing of everyone's progress.

• andriag
    andriag Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012

I just saw a post from BDavis---that you met with both Dr. Allen and Dr. D.  I have met with them both as well.  What made you choose Dr D?   If anyone else has similiar research experiences.... I would love to her your thoughts. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

I just PM'd you.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2012

A busy week in NOLA.  Best wishes to all.  I will be thinking about you.

Ttay and Sassy43 - this is the beginning.  Michelle, TeddyBear and DsnyDawn - continuing the journey.

I can't wait to begin!

Hugs!

Marty 

• sassy43
    sassy43 Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2012

Thanks Esmerelda! You put my mind at ease. I am just trying to organize the house before i leave on Wednesday. Today was a sad day.  I had to put my baby girl Lexie to sleep after having her for 16 beautiful years,  At times I cant stop crying.  I know she is in a better place.  I will miss her greeting me at the front door when i get home. She always knew how to comfort me after all of my surgeries.  Thanks for listening.  

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited September 2012

Ladies,    I am trying to book our flight for my Stage 2 on Oct. 31st.  I know some gals stay 1 night and some stay 2 (post-op).  What I'm trying to figure out is which day to book our return flight.  Is it reasonable to think I'd be able to fly home the day after discharge from the hospital or should I wait one more day?  Of course, no one knows if they will need 1 or 2 days-what do you all recommend?

Thanks!!  Katiejane

• lastar
    edited September 2012

Two days sounds better to me, Katiejane.  Just my $0.02! 

• Katiejane
    edited September 2012

Thanks LAstar!  I was thinking along those same lines but that will put us back on Sunday and the dog kennel won't be open so the pups will have to stay an x-tra day.  I hate putting them in the kennel!!  Katiejane

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2012

Hi Katiejane,

I think it's definitely reasonable to leave the day after discharge.  Once I actually left St. Charles and the driver took me straight to the airport, because my brother was getting married the next day and I had to get home!

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2012

Katiejane,

It would also depend on if you are having a post op appt with Dr.  My stage 2 is on a friday and they told me that I would be discharged on Sat and was free to go, but I wanted to have a post op chk up and could only do on Mon..and afraid of rushing and missing a flight ,I'm choosing to stay until tues...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes...I think I need to start packing...lol  loose shirts I'm thinking???

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Thanks for all the well wishes. LAstar I will surely report back :) There is another lady that was there while I was for stage 2 that will be there with you Octover 4-5 ladies. Her name is Carol.

It's looks like it'll be a busy week in NOLA again while I am there. Looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of you amazing ladies!!

We are ready and waiting for our ride to the airport. It's raining and nasty, but so far our flight isn't delayed. I'll be headed straight to the center for pre-op and to get a plan from Dr. D. If he decides that I need a flap, my surgery will be tomorrow to give me an extra day and will hopefully make it where I won't have to change my current flight schedule.

KatieJane, I think 2 days too, but again that's just my opinion.

Safe travels for all the ladies headed to NOLA with me :)

As I continue this journey, I just wanted to say thank you again to all you amazing ladies!! This board has been so helpful and comforting!!

Hugs to you all!!!!

Michelle

• Katiejane
    edited September 2012

Thanks Ladies for all of your input!  Thinking of all of you ladies who are headed to/already in NOLA!  You are in the best hands possible-it gets no better!!!  I am totally amazed with what Dr. M. did for this 56 yr old Lymphedema (node dissection) body!! 

As far as a post-op check, Dr. M doesn't require one. So really, I could go the day after discharge. 

Anyone else, I'd love to hear your opinions as well!  I'm taking a pole here!!!  LOL!

Again, thank you all!  I really don't know what I'd do without you!    HUGS!  katiejane

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited September 2012

Sassy, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your furry kid!  I know that losing them is like losing a family member.  I can't imagine losing a pet and having surgery in the same week:(  Hoping that the packing and surgery will distract you from your sadness!  As I healed from Stage 1, it was like a new beginning.

KatieJane, I'm sure that someone will need to go to the kennel to feed the dogs in the afternoon or evening...  Maybe they'd make an exception for you if you're a "regular"-- I know that mine used to... Especially if you say your returning from "surgery," you might get some compassion. 

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

I just met Ttay in the lobby of the hospital. She recognized me from my pic ;-) She looks great and I was reassuring her that she has the best working on her.

I have seen Laura and I'm waiting for to see Sally at the hospital. Dr. D is still in surgery, so I'll wait to see him. Looks like I won't need a flap!!!! Yay!!! So so happy about that.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2012

Woot!  Enjoy all the various meetings, fun.  (c:

• lastar
    edited September 2012

Yay to no new flap!  I can't remember why you thought you needed it -- scar tissue?  One of my breasts is getting harder and harder all over, and I'm nervous that it's not repairable.  

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Mine had a lot of hard areas and Laura thinks there is some necrosis & of course scar tissue but some of what I am feeling is the actual flap. As the swelling continues to go down you may be feeling the flap itself. They fat graft around the and "fluff" so to speak to soften things up. They also have a jet machine (I think that's what Jeanine called it), but anyway it great at breaking things up, so an additional flap won't be needed.

Turns out Dr. D won't be out of surgery for another 1 1/2-2 hrs so they rescheduled me for tomorrow.

This works in my favor as for the markings since my surgery is still on for Thursday.

• lastar
    edited September 2012

Thanks for this info! My other breast has softened nicely, but the other one is hard, lumpy, and sore. I'm do encouraged that you dont need a new flap! I hope you get to enjoy nola before surgery!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

KatieJane.. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital (had surgery Monday) and flew out Friday. I could have flown out Thursday, but price made me choose Friday. I wouldn't have wanted to fly out any sooner.... those are my 2 cents.

About baby flaps... My left side was done July 2011 and revised with the "jet" in November. It is better than it was, but I still have a large area of necrosis (size of a small plum?) So I am thinking he will want to do a baby flap... not sure the jet will fix it at this point and I want resolution.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2012

KatieJane~

Did you have lymph node transfer surgery as well?  You mentioned your LN dissection body so was wondering. 

I am having my Stage 2 on a Friday and will be admitted.  My doc said I had to stay until Monday for a post op appointment. I don't know if this is because I am having both Stage 2 bilat SGAP and lymph node transfer surgery.  Most of my axilla was repaired in Stage 1.

• Katiejane
    edited September 2012

PinkHeart,  No I didn't have LNT-maybe someday but it does scare me a little.  I have seen improvement w/ just DIEP reconstruction but of course there is no cure.  Good luck with your surgery and please let us know how the LNT helps you!   Katiejane

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

God Bless Ttay! Hope you are well TeddyBear, and thinking of you Chelle!! So many this week...