Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2012

It's great to hear from you Kerry!! I'm glad you are doing well Smile I had horrible nausea too and that is one of the worst feelings!

Hugs to all!!

Chelle

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Chelle, I discovered I was allergic to surgical tape and had a terrible rash after stage 1. I know a rash can make you miserable! I hope you figure it out soon. Nothing like your skin errupting! Surgical glue was fine, no tape! They made an update on my chart and things were good for all surgeries after that, but I also stressed this to EVERYONE EVERY TIME! I hope you can determine what it is...

Cider, I am sorry for the IDC vs DCIS news. But you know, I am so glad it was discovered. Oncotype is the right move to figure out what is next.  The waiting is hard, but sounds like you are handling it. I keep thinking, what if it was not discovered? Thank God for Dr. Stollier and how thorough he is. 

These ladies are up next! Seems like a busy time of year at the center... So many women being restored!

Oct 4 -  Jenlee - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA 

Oct 5 - LAStar - Stage 2 with Dr. D., NOLA. 

Oct 5 - BDavis (Betsy) - Consult at 8:30 with Dr. D. about stage 2B (in 2013)  

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2012

I had a crazy rash, too.  I am allergic to surgical tape and have known this since my first C-section so knew to mention it/avoid it at stage 1.  Dr. D was perplexed with my rash but sent me home on Benadryl, then started me on a steroid pack once I got home.  Took care of it.  I am so hoping for smooth sailing for my upcoming stage 2.  I had a number of issues but no major complications.  I actually had forgotten about how severe the nausea was post op for a week+ for me and the mysterious rash and some other things.  The recent posts have reminded me.  I can now get mentally prepared for this and realize time heals us both physically and mentally!  

Also, I will be brave for the IV, keep my body and arm warm, scratch/rub the area above as a distraction, and take some anti-anxiety medicine!  Thanks for the advice.

Anybody have nerve damage or loss of sensation after lipo?    Where does the fat go if it is reabsorbed?    Thanks! 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

Speaking of surgical tape. This time around, the nipple cone was secured with some sort of adhesive cutout pad instead of a bunch of surgical tape. I developed some blisters from the surgical tape at Stage 2; I think from swelling after surgery vs the tape adhesive. This new adhesive pad was just great. No irritation for me at all. The clipped off nipple cone is just placed over the nipple then the square adhesive pad is placed over. It stayed all week until removed at my post op appt. I love when they find better ways of doing things!

I noticed on the NOLA website they've added another micro vascular PS named Michael Cohen. There's no photo of him, but I think he might have been assisting Dr S on my surgery. I'll know when they post a photo. The practice must be so busy: a 4th PS, a 2nd PA named Amy, 2 more exam rooms. I never feel like they are too busy for me, though.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2012

Hey Paula,

I actually met him at my post op visit..and I think he might have been involved with Dr D on my surgery as well...and it is so true that as busy as they must be getting you always feel like you are the only patient??

Wanted to first say I'm thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed...  I have a question about nipple protector.  You said brown?? the one they gave me is clear and Jeanine had me cut the top off (so it's just above new nipple) and then secure with brown tape...you don't have same thing?

Well I just took bandages off and I'm sooo happy with my girls!!!  I haven't had a nipple on the bc side since may 2011, so that blows my mind...and my other side,,he reduced the size of the nipple ,so it matches my new smaller perkier breast..I was joking around with dr d that I would like smaller boobs to improve my golf game as they always got in the way!!  Now I can't wait to golf!!! 

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet the girls ..but like michelle..I was not feeling great..turns out pain meds were messing my stomach up...as soon as I stopped taking I was fine...I was never in pain just discomfort  . Still have lots of bruising but feel great and will be taking out my last drain as soon as hubby gets home (just can't do it myself) haha  Thanks for all the well wishes and good luck to all those going next.....

ps anyone have any suggestions about tatoos with vinny??  I was told at the center I can come back to nola and its part of insurance....doesn't he have a shop in VA?  anyone know what he charges?? VA is car ride...so I contemplating..any info would be appreciated.....  thanks ladies

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2012

Dawn -- Vinnie is in MD, and works there and in NOLA. He has contact info at his website, vinniemyers.com.

Cider8 & Springtime -- I identify with the surgical tape/adhesive problem, and mentioned it, but it would have been better to make a BIG deal about it. They did take care, but someone goofed and I woke up with a row of blisters below my abdominal incision. Those took a while to heal and were sorer than any of the incisions!

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Dawn DrD and DrS have different nipple care. Dr S starts with the clear for 1 week, then some brown covers that are adhered by brown tape for a few weeks. Dr S has us keep the nipples dry, too. So glad to hear you are loving the results. I love having smaller breasts! How is your radiated skin doing?

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Dr. Cohen was in the room at my post-op appointment and I think he may have been involved with my surgery too, but not positive on that. He's young, but didn't say a whole lot during my appointment.

I usually don't have any skin reactions at all, but this is a big one. It's around my breasts and around the entire scar around my waist. Time will heal and I am taking benadryl on a regular basis and using cortisone cream too.

• dsnydawn
    edited September 2012

Ann..thanks,just after I posted I saw the info at the top of the page...def cheaper for me to go to VA..

Paula.. my skin is great...tissue was def affected..alot of scar tissue ..Dr D told me that he "popped the hood" (lifted skin up off entire breast to work on tissue at top as well)and added tissue at top of breast for shape.. at my post op appt he was very happy with his work..he kept asking me if I noticed the flat stomach..I really didn't but a week later I sure do ..he did mention that my ab muscles were real nice (although you couldn't see them) but now I do...very cool   now my problem area is my legs, guess I need to get back to jogging!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2012
    Dawn -- That is Maryland, not Virginia, but close. Wink
  • dsnydawn
    edited September 2012

Yay !! made my appt w/ Vinnie..... 6 hour drive (not bad)  to Maryland (I don't know why I keep saying Virginia haha) dec 28th... will be a great xmas present !!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2012

Nips for the New Year!

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Dawn, that is so awesome. I can't wait for my Vinnie tattoos! Can't schedule yet, though.

I got the go ahead to take out my breast drain this afternoon. I did it all myself. I felt nothing. I didn't get close to the satisfaction that I had pulling the super long abdominal drain! But so happy to be drain free. Over 3 weeks for a stinking breast drain. I hope for uneventful healing in regards to any excess fluid.

I also got my op report. I like reading them!

• dsnydawn
    edited September 2012

My appt isn't until Dec 28th...but I knew he would have a wait (said 2months) Dr D told me 12wks so appt would be 14wks out

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Yeah, as good as these hospitals are, I have found I needed a mantra of "No surgical tape and no Scopalomine patch" over and over and over to make sure I didn't get either surgical tape or the patch! That patch gave me the most severe vertigo! I was totally spinning for 2 days. Blech. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

Dawn.. Vinnie also works in Philley on occasion. He said I could meet him there. I am still away off as I have my surgery in January and who knows after that. I want my tats after Dr D is completely done.

I can't believe I will be in NOLA in 6 days ... Looking forward to it!!! And Jenifer, I will come by your room after my appt. Leigh Ann... I will need to come back for you I think.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2012

Springtime ~

I hear you on the tape adhesive and Scopalomine patch! 

Not to mention what happens if you touch the scopalomine patch and then your eye! 

I was told to put it on the night before surgery which I did and washed my hands carefully after handling per the PI.  On the way to hospital the next morning it got caught in my hair and I stuck it back on behind my ear without thinking.  While getting prepped in the pre-op area, the CRNA was questioning me and started staring at my eye and said just one of your pupils is HUGE.  I'm starting to sweat thinking my surgery will be cancelled.   Then the anesthesiologist came in to examine and question me and look at my eye.  He right away asked if I touched the patch and I told him I did and he said that's the culprit -- your fine for surgery.

Then had delay in operating room because wasn't set up for latex allergy, and had to be re-organized.  I had reported the latex sensitivity at hospital registration, but obviously didn't get through all channels.

I thought there was a national hospital standard of different colored wrist bands that indicated certain medical alerts?  Guess not.

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2012

Springtime ~

I hear you on the tape adhesive and Scopalomine patch! 

Not to mention what happens if you touch the scopalomine patch and then your eye! 

I was told to put it on the night before surgery which I did and washed my hands carefully after handling per the PI.  On the way to hospital the next morning it got caught in my hair and I stuck it back on behind my ear without thinking.  While getting prepped in the pre-op area, the CRNA was questioning me and started staring at my eye and said just one of your pupils is HUGE.  I'm starting to sweat thinking my surgery will be cancelled.   Then the anesthesiologist came in to examine and question me and look at my eye.  He right away asked if I touched the patch and I told him I did and he said that's the culprit -- your fine for surgery.

Then had delay in operating room because wasn't set up for latex allergy, and had to be re-organized.  I had reported the latex sensitivity at hospital registration, but obviously didn't get through all channels.

I thought there was a national hospital standard of different colored wrist bands that indicated certain medical alerts?  Guess not.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

I see a lot of you were wanting to know why I needed the blood transfusion. I am anemic to start with, combine that with the surgery, I ended up needing two pints of blood. Dr Trahan said I didn't lose a lot of blood but he did take away tissue which does have blood etc..... This 2nd stage has kicked my butt. I was in surgery for 6 hours and was cut open like a tin can and came home with 6 drains which is more than my DIEP. I am coming up on two weeks from having surgery and I am not ready to go back to work yet, and still have 2 of my drains. I wasn't expecting it to be this tough. I had read about how much easier this surgery was but it really isn't. Part of it was easier but let's face it, it's still surgery. I am so ready to be done with all of this.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2012

So sorry to hear you are not feeling great. Did you have more done than usual?

MartyJ, we ended up renting a condo near the Center and on the streetcar line. My husband doesn't mind cooking and we saved a lot of moola. The owner has been great and even lowered the price for us. I like that I don't need to be presentable in front of others. 😊

Thinking of you KerryA. Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way.

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

TeddyBear

I am 1 week out and this was a tough surgery for me too. I came out with 6 drains, but they are coming out slowly and the last one I took out today. Eventhough the drains are gone, I hurt. I was told by all that I got "worked over" hard, but I am going to love the results. I also had to have a transfusion, but they were very careful this time and the bells and whistles went off when my name was entered into the system. That made me feel better and they set the flood flow very slow that one unit took almost 4 hours. I didn't react this time, but they were checking on me every 30 minutes or so.

I hope you feel better soon and just know, you aren't alone.

Healing hugs to you all. I'm going to try and fall asleep and get nights rest :)

Chelle

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited September 2012

Wow!  Like most of you ladies, I am expecting a much easier surgery for my Stage II in October.  What did your Doc's do that would require 6 drains and a long time in the OR!  Kind of scares me!  Maybe I need to re-think this one!  How many nights did you stay in the hospital?  Healing thoughts to you all!

Katiejane

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2012

Chelle,  I am so sorry that you are having so much pain with your stage 2.  Keep your eye on the prize and know you will be so happy when healed.

teddybear71,  thinking of you and understanding about wanting to be done. It won't be long and you will be back to your old self.

I have been healing from stage 1 and 1B done in Nola.  I am now preparing for Stage 2 in Charleston with Dr. M.  It seems kind of strange to be going to a different hospital.  This just worked out to be much easier since it is a 3 1/2 hour drive. I'll miss Nola and the wonderful care there.

bdavis,  you will be having a consult about the time of my surgery.....I'll be thinking about you. 

I wish speedy healing for each of us as we start and finish this journey.  Hugs, Jamie 

• cider8
    edited September 2012

Now, don't get scared of Stage 2 just yet. Stage 2 can run the full range. If I recall, Teddy had substantial weight loss and basically got a body lift to get rid of the excess skin. I think Chelle had some problems from past c-section that was cleaned up. Our docs want to give us a good, lasting esthetic result. Some need more work than others. My Stage 2s were not nearly as tough as my Stage 1. Surgery is still surgery. At over 3 weeks out from 2B, I am still fatigued and a bit sore with tender spots. But it is temporary! You will need to talk with your doctor about what your specific needs will be for Stage 2, what your doc can do for you and what you are willing to have done.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

I agree with Paula... I had a lot done at Stage II and I was very sore at first, but it was sore like I had way over done it at the gym.. The good news is that this kind of pain moves along quickly... I felt so so much better a week post op.

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2012

Glostagirl checking in.....looks like I'm heading back to NOLA for a Stage 1b.  A baby hip flap added to my uni-lateral stacked DIEP, the surgery will be on Nov. 13 at SCSH, with Dr. Massey.  

I'm a bit nervous about this baby flap, my DIEP was very successful except for size, it is small because so much of the transplanted tissue went to filling my very concave chest.  Dr. M feels it risky to reduce my natural breast (34DD) to the size of my new DIEP breast mound, (I'm not sure the size, maybe a medium B).  But in a bra, I HAVE CLEAVAGE AGAIN!!!!!

I'm going to ask Dr. M. what else I can add to the surgical list as I need a reduction on my natural side, and a fix to my uni-SGAP site which has been a big ole' shark bite since 2009. Any thoughts on adding exta procedures from you more experienced ladies would be welcome.  (For those of you who are new here, I had a failed uni-SGAP in 04/09).  

I just passed 3 months post DIEP and am feeling well.  I'm having physical therapy to loosen scar tissue around the ab incision and also to loosen tightness in my armpit.  The swelling of my ab has gone down considerably, there is still numbness in the center of the incision and upwards.  I'm sure this will resolve in time.  So, all in all, it's been worth it and I'd do it again!  Oops, I guess I am....sort of.

Healing thoughts to all,

Gg 

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2012

Gg ~ I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you this time!  With having an excellent doc, you will soon be whole and shapely in all the right places again.

You mentioned PT . . . is the tightness in your armpit due to pec muscles or do you have cording going on?

Warm wishes!

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2012

Hi Pink!  No cording, just tightness in the pecs and armpit.  I'm being proactive in getting PT now so hopefully things won't be so tight after the next surgery.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2012

Hello NOLA friends. I am having extreme NOLA frustration. Wrote a whole long post and deleted. Decided you didn't need my rant! But I will seek feedback on the core issue. The hard lump in my abdomen is still there. I am one year post stage 1 and 9 months post stage 2. This developed 8 weeks after stage 2. Has not reduced in size or firmness since then. Not getting much timely or concerned feedback despite several rounds of emailing photos, etc. I know several of you have had a similar issue. Did it eventually go away? Did you have to have more surgery? In either case, what did it turn out to be? Thanks for being here.

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2012

Gg-- same here. PT twice a week for LE, cording, and trashed pec muscle from bmx n failed implants. PT is HUGE for recovery from these major breast cancer related surgeries we all bravely endure. So glad my microsurgeon so on board with iit and writes and update orders and talks to my local therapist.