Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2012

Arrived in NOLA yesterday. Hot and humid but enjoying the heat after the Wisconsin fall weather is setting in.

Just got back from pre-ops and all marked up. I totally understand now why everyone here speaks so highly of NOLA. They put my mind at ease starting with the first appointment. It is peaceful and spa-like.

Got to meet Chelle too. Congrats on completing Stage 2. It was nice to meet someone from the thread here.

Enjoy a yummy dinner at Mr. B's Bistro last night. Going to soak in some warm weather and good food before surgery on Wednesday.   

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2012

Kerry it was great to meet you!! I'm so glad you recognized me. I've been kinda out of it lately...lol

Well I lost 2 more drains today so I'm down to 3. I have to say the pain is pretty intense for me. He worked my poor body over and he really wants to see the final product when I'm all healed and the swelling is gone.

Ive developed a rash so he put me on a z-pack and I need to get some cortisone cream.

I'm gonna go take a quick shower so I'll check in later :-)

Hugs to you all!!!!

Chelle

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2012

Good to hear from you Chelle. Sorry you are having a rough time . Is it the lipo pain that is the most difficult part for you? Try to keep focused on the end result and yay for losing drains.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2012

Shark Bites . . .  I'm very thin so may be why no SBs after bilat SGAP??  I've been followed by a wound care doc for the HBOT treatments for past month, and examinations have all been good news - no seromas, no infections.  Just hope all the internal radiation wreck of my chest wall and axilla repair is healing well.  So far so good. 

I would have loved to have had Stage 2 at exactly 3 months -- lots warmer in Charleston then.  :)   Oh well, doc knows best and he wants me to have more healing time so waiting until 4 1/2 months post-op, but at least it is before end of year for insurance reasons.

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2012

chelle~ 

Sorry to hear you are dealing with so much pain.  I'm also one who has trouble dealing with pain, and appreciate help from oxycodone, etc. for sure.  I'm up for stage 2 next and it sounds like the fat grafting is rather painful???

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2012

Hi Ladies, I am back. I've added dates or updated info for the following per your requests:

Mags20487 - added your stage 1 date Nov 1

Jane123 - Added your stage 2 date Nov 2

Cherrie - added your stage 1 date Nov 12

Betsy - updated your appt time on Oct 5.

I am still not unpacked from my business trip, ugh.

Betsy thank you for being so responsive to everyone! as you always are.

If I missed any other dates or edits let me know.

There were a lot of surgeries last week and I hope you all are doing okay!!  

TTAY, 201 is one of those HUGE rooms, hope you are enjoying it!  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2012

Has anyone out there rented a house, condo, etc. after discharge from hospital? If so, are there any recommendations? I would like to be somewhat close to the center in case of any problems.

We have booked at Homewood and Hope Lodge at this time. They both have pros and cons. My stay will be for 6 days. Homewood is $140 plus taxes. Hope Lodge is free but not being able to eat in the room concerns me. I am trying to find a middle ground. No transportation is being provided so we will need to rent car. 😠

THANKS!!!!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2012

I stayed at a 2-bedroom apartment down the street from the center.  We didn't rent a car while we were there, we mostly just walked St. Charles or took the streetcar.  I think we paid $99/night, but that was in the heat of August, might be more now.  PM me if you'd like me to dig up the listing.  

The only drawback there was the couch was a fouton, so not that comfortable.  And the central air conditioning didn't work that well.  But it was August in NOLA, so... I think it was working as best as could be expected.  The bedroom window units worked great. 

UPDATE:  Looks like they made some improvements to the apartment, better couch!  But they're pretty booked through November.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, the owner and on-site manager were very nice and honest people.  The owner--who is some bigwig Hollywood lawyer--has property in NOLA because he has a large family that likes to visit NOLA often. He has more than one property in NOLA so would be worth emailing him and asking about availability at all his units. 

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p344294 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

My friend owns a condo on St Charles... I could ask if she wants to rent it... let me know. It is a basement apt, so not a lot of natural light.... and basement apts are not common in NOLA for obvious reasons.

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012

hi cherrie...when i was at fairway, i tried many options for finding a place to stay in the covington area, such as renting a house, etc....we ended up getting a place in bonita springs, about 1/2 hour from hospital....it is a timeshare place....awesome...2 bdroom 2 bath full stocked kitchen...living room....even a sauna in the unit....it was sooo perfect, especially since my sister and i have very dif sleep habits, she likes the lights and tv on and i like everything quiet....both bedrooms were at opposite ends so we both got great sleep....we asked for a first floor and it was so great to sit out on the patio and have coffee and my sister made some great healthy meals.....i think we paid about 800 for 9 days? i'll have to check....so we stayed there for a day before surgery and then my sister went there at night, although stayed  a night in the hosp with me...and then it was so perfect afterwards to stay there after discharge....then we checked out and went to postop at st charles before flying out.....let me know if you need further info....marty might have interest also...marty didnt forget about you and will talk soon!....

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2012

Cherrie

Is the car only for St Charles??? Dr D, Dr S, & Dr T??? Boy I have to say coming from the West Coast those little logistical things really helped!!! Sorry for your challenges.

Lesley

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited September 2012

Hi All,

Harmonysun, I know you didn't forget me!  

Actually, I received my "orders" from Dr. M on Friday and have been busy working out the kinks with the stress echo without calling out the troops.  I have friends who are department heads at both MUSC and Roper (here in Charleston), but hate to ask them for referrals if it is not an emergency.  So, my helper doctor suggested a new to town cardiologist who got me in for an appointment on Friday.   I know a stress echo is generally an easy thing, but because I have implants it can make it very difficult to get a good read without being invasive.  Fingers crossed.

Based on all recommendations so far, we have made the following plan - arrive in NOLA on Tuesday, Nov 6 and have a day of play before pre-ops on Nov. 8.  We will move to a hotel in Covington the night of Nov 8 (still working out where).  Surgery is Nov 9.  We have a room at Homewood Suites in NOLA from Nov 13 til 18.  I have been trying to do as much as I can on points and just learned that with my Capital One points, I can apply them to travel after the fact. Hoping that this will work as we can get lower rates.

Question for all Fairway girls- what did your caregiver/spouse/friend do during the day while you were in surgery?  My DH will stay at Fairway with me, but I thought I might book the hotel in Covington for 2 nights so he could go there and crash while I am under.

First post hospital goal - to walk from Homewood Suites down Poydras to eat at Mothers.  Okay, maybe watch my husband eat?

Marty 

• MartyJ
    edited September 2012

Hi All,

Harmonysun, I know you didn't forget me!  

Actually, I received my "orders" from Dr. M on Friday and have been busy working out the kinks with the stress echo without calling out the troops.  I have friends who are department heads at both MUSC and Roper (here in Charleston), but hate to ask them for referrals if it is not an emergency.  So, my helper doctor suggested a new to town cardiologist who got me in for an appointment on Friday.   I know a stress echo is generally an easy thing, but because I have implants it can make it very difficult to get a good read without being invasive.  Fingers crossed.

Based on all recommendations so far, we have made the following plan - arrive in NOLA on Tuesday, Nov 6 and have a day of play before pre-ops on Nov. 8.  We will move to a hotel in Covington the night of Nov 8 (still working out where).  Surgery is Nov 9.  We have a room at Homewood Suites in NOLA from Nov 13 til 18.  I have been trying to do as much as I can on points and just learned that with my Capital One points, I can apply them to travel after the fact. Hoping that this will work as we can get lower rates.

Question for all Fairway girls- what did your caregiver/spouse/friend do during the day while you were in surgery?  My DH will stay at Fairway with me, but I thought I might book the hotel in Covington for 2 nights so he could go there and crash while I am under.

First post hospital goal - to walk from Homewood Suites down Poydras to eat at Mothers.  Okay, maybe watch my husband eat?

Marty 

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

Marty.. I walked from Homewood Suites to Mothers... in July in a compression girdle... HOT... but fine.

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Hi there ladies. I'm home and boy does it feel good to be here.

Dr. D did a number on me with the lipo and he did a mini tuck (still goes from hip to hip). He had to do plication because of the mess my doctor left after my hysterectomy, so that is taking a little getting used to. I have broke out in a rash along all of my incisions and it driving me crazy. He told me to stop the antibiotic for a few days and not to use the ABD pads and use sterile gauze and put me on the steroid pack. So far it looks a little betterthan it did Monday. We will

See.

I was able to meet Kerry at the center too. She is up today and I'm sending you positive thoughts and energy your way!!

Tray, sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye and things were crazy when I was trying to leave. Hope you are doing well and I thinking about you too!!!

Lots of prayers going up for all you beautiful and amazing women!!!

Hugs!!!

Chelle

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2012

Healing vibes KerryA.  Congrats on being done and on the road to recovery Chelle.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited September 2012

Yay, Chelle! Glad you are on the mend. I'll be there on Oct. 24th for my stage 2, so I'm hanging on your - and every other stage 2 gals - word! Hope everyone is enjoying some glorious fall weather, wherever you are!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited September 2012

I'm happy to hear that all of you ladies who have recently had stage 1 & 2 are healing well!  Gentle hugs to you all!

I will be doing Stage II on October 31st and was wondering if any of you know what I should expect with the weather.  Should I take long sleeves, short sleeves, long pants, capri's? My stage I was in July so that was a no brainer. We have no humidity here at home so when temps are low w/ high humidity it feels colder than it really is!

Thanks!  katiejane

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

I'm doing better today but just very itchy. Jeanine is supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know if I can start my antibiotic back. It's a pain in the ass to use the sterile pads instead of the ABD pads because they are thinner and don't stay in place as well. I can tell some of the swelling has gone down so I think I may try the smaller girdle they gave me. They also didnt want me to bedadine the drain sites either until we get the rash under control. So tomorrow should be a big day :-)

I'm very tires and thinking I will hot the pillows early tonight.

Kerry, thinking about you!!!

Ttay, hope you are feeling good and loving your new girls so far.

Hugs to you all!!!

• bdavis
    edited September 2012

KatieJane.. Late Oct can be in the 80's or feel like New England... You will just need to pack for all possibilities. It will likely be very nice.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

3 weeks post 2B today. Much of the glue is off now, except for the ends of the incisions under my breasts (where I think sutures are not ready to come out) and the reconstructed nipple. I had to dig a little for a suture that was irritating. I still have one breast drain in. My breast is juicy! I can take it out once it is under 20cc for 2 days, vs under 30cc, due to my history of breast seroma. My other breast is just textbook perfect, but this cancer side is a PITA in more ways than one. It still looks beautiful, so don't take my complaint too seriously. My days have been up and down. I forgot I have allergy trouble this time of year and I'm working on getting rid of some chest congestion. I'm still wearing an abdominal binder and it just doesn't hold form very well. I rotate 3 of them, washing most every day. Once my drain is out I will switch to the Marena girdle I have, and maybe the flexees camis I have as an alternative. I am still bloated in my belly. Still wearing my brown nipple covers. I've been walking only about 1 mile per day and today I started increasing it.

In regards to the little bit of cancer found, looks like it's actually invasive, not DCIS. Now it's out for oncotype testing. I haven't talked to Dr Stolier about my status, but will once all my test results are in. I'm very eager to hear everything so I can understand what is going on and so I can pass results on to my doctors here so treatment plan can be made. Friends are saying they don't know how I'm doing so well waiting for results, but you and I know so much of the cancer journey is waiting, waiting and more waiting. We get crazy from the waiting only if we let it.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012

Hi everyone. I had my post-op appointment today, and Dr. Trahan was very pleased. Said he would definitely be taking care of the dog ears at Stage 2, along with a lot more. : ) He removed 3 drains, so now I only have one hip drain. When it is only putting out 20ccs or less for 2 days in a row, I can pull it, and start wearing the binder.

Michelle, I am doing okay. I don't really know what to think of the 2 girls. It's so strange. I keep thinking I have to wear the prosthesis. The new boob is a lot softer than my non-cancer side. Its not cute right now, but I know time will take care of that. Its been a year and 4 months being lopsided. I think the best part will be not having to hide...

My son got here this morning, and we fly back to Atlanta tomorrow.

Big Hugggggssss to all the ladies waiting, and those recovering.

KatieJane: The weather here is nice...its been cooler in the evening. I would say bring at least 1 pair of long pants and a lightweight jacket or long sleeve shirt. It's 65 degrees right now.

• chellehump
    edited September 2012

Hi there ladies. I'm home and boy does it feel good to be here.

Dr. D did a number on me with the lipo and he did a mini tuck (still goes from hip to hip). He had to do plication because of the mess my doctor left after my hysterectomy, so that is taking a little getting used to. I have broke out in a rash along all of my incisions and it driving me crazy. He told me to stop the antibiotic for a few days and not to use the ABD pads and use sterile gauze and put me on the steroid pack. So far it looks a little betterthan it did Monday. We will

See.

I was able to meet Kerry at the center too. She is up today and I'm sending you positive thoughts and energy your way!!

Tray, sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye and things were crazy when I was trying to leave. Hope you are doing well and I thinking about you too!!!

Lots of prayers going up for all you beautiful and amazing women!!!

Hugs!!!

Chelle

• Cherrie
    edited September 2012

Marty, I am coming in on the 8 th to the Hope Lodge and staying in Covington on the 11 th with surgery on the 12 th. I have a pre- op at Fairway on the day of your surgery. I am hoping you can connect with me before you leave Fairway. We may overlap at Homewood, but I may rent or stay at Hope Lodge too. We are still figuring that out.

My surgery is on a Monday and my doc wants me to be there 10 days post op before leaving. Isn't that long?? I am flying out on Thanksgiving Day because of this. :(. We will be there a full 2 weeks.

I think we're all set now Betsy. Thanks. We just have to make decisions about cost.

I bought all of my clothes for an August surgery. I hate the thought of doing this again. Is it comfortable to wear drawstrings??

• MartyJ
    edited September 2012

Cherrie, we share a doctor and yes, she wants us to stay 10 days post.  We aren't out of there til the 18th.  Re weather - NOLA averages are mid 50s to mid 70s, but it can go either way.  It has been pretty mild in Charleston lately.  I have been in shorts in November and its been in the 70s at New Years, but a shall or jacket is helpful.  My plan is to bring the Gilligan O'Malley lounge pants and a pair of pull on jeans I bought at Walmart.  Still working on tops.  Once I get the weather forecast I will decide whether a coat is necessary or if something lighter will work.  A southern winter is really day by day. 

Chelle, TTay and all last week's girls - gentle hugs to you.   You sound like you are all doing well!

Marty 

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2012

Cherrie~

Dr. M is doing a surgery in Chicago on Nov 19th.  Will she be coming back to NOLA to do your post op on Thanksgiving Day or will the assisting doc do that? 

Yea, it does seem long as most docs say one week, but it might be based on what types of surgery the patient is having.  You should just stay Thanksgiving Day and have some cajun turkey.  :)

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2012

just submitted my app for staying at Hope Lodge.  We will stay in a hotel before the surgery and if accepted stay at hope for after the surgery.  Will definitely help with expenses if we can stay there.  Want to come into town at least a day early to do something fun!  Any suggestions?  Surgery is Nov 1st....waiting for my recent pet scan results before I make my travel arrangements though.  Also waiting on final authorization from my insurance.  still hate waiting for anything...after this last year you would think I would be used to the waiting game  haha

Mags

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2012

Flying out on a holiday actually sounds nice. You'll have room to spread out on the plane. No crowds or getting bumped in line.

• Cherrie
    edited September 2012

My doc will not do my post op. dr. S will do that. I'm ok with that. Coming home on Thanksgiving day will allow me to have the bulkhead seats.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2012

Happy to report I'm now on the other side. Had bad nausea during recovery and last night but much better today.  Everyone here is wonderful- the nurses are very nice! Took a short walk..didn't go too far but it was good to get up.

Chelle- It was nice to meet you and glad you're home safe and sound.

Thanks for everyone's support here. Looking forward to some rest.  Not in much pain just sore and a bit shaky.