Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

Chelle, I think you have to trust your gut that you wouldn't want to do it unless it gave you the closure you need.  We all have different ideas of when we are "done" and no one can make that decision for us.  I hope your husband understands and supports you.  

I appreciate hearing about the husband-wife dynamics.  My husband and I have learned a lot about each other this past year.  He was supportive of my choice to go to NOLA but was completely shocked that I was choosing PMX.  It never occurred to him that I would choose it, and it never occurred to me to do anything else.  Now I have a dog-ear and weird scarring on the outside of my breast under the armpit.  I don't think it's a big deal, but my husband has encouraged me to get it fixed.  Maybe he just wants to go back to NOLA! Wink

• ltmguy
    ltmguy Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013

Insurance?  Has anyone Used Tricare Prime active duty at NOLA? Just For reconstruction? I have already had my BXM

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2013

4my4babies.....you are in such a great place.  I so wish I had started at NOLA.  Good resting and happy recovering.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

Itmguy - I have Tricare standard. Not all docs will take Tricare, but Dr Massey was happy to. Said she had operated on many military wives.

I had my BMX and original recon 27 years ago on other ins. Tricare prime paid when I had implant replacement in 1999. We switched to standard some years ago, but haven't had a problem with my bilateral DIEP. Had to have the surgery at Fairway in Covington not at St Charles. Will have the rest in Charleston at Roper. PM me if you have questions or need anything. Tricare can be such fun, but a blessing.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2013

Ltmguy, I know someone who had Tricare for recon .. I will see if I can have her get in touch :)

Marcia

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013

I had to switch from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard to be seen by the NOLA doctors. I had my surgeries at Fairway.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

If you switch from prime to standard, be sure to have a secondary like MOAA. When I needed implant replacement under Prime I had no choice in what PS I saw. They only gave me one option in our area. Standard affords me choice in which doctors I see.

• RuthS
    RuthS Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

Hi, I am a 5 yr survivor without reconstruction. My husband is active duty and we are currently stationed in NOLA. I just found out about the fabulous breast center here. I was told I would need to switch to Standard too. I live in Uptown and am curious why you all have gone to Fairway? Do we have to go to Fairway under Tricare Standard? I thought I would never want to do this, but the more I read about this place, the more ready I am!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

4 my 4 babies- yay! You are back! Now rest, heal, walk, eat, load up on protein, rest. Thinking of you!

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Ruth - yes, Fairway takes our insurance (Tricare) and St. Charles does not.  BUT - Fairway was a fantastic hospital.  Really!  I absolutely could not have asked for a better surgical and recovery hospital.  It was well worth it.  Since you are living right in NOLA do go talk to the good doctors at the center.  A whole new perspective on life!

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013

Ruth, my DH is also active duty and we are stationed in NOLA but live over in MandevilIe I am so lucky that I was diagnosed when e were stationed here the doctors are amazing. If you have any questions about Tricare and surgery you can PM me I just finished getting my tattoos last month.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

I have never been to Fairway Hospital myself, but *everone* who has gone there has nothing but excellent thigns to say. The docs are very concerned about their pt's. If it wasn't really good, they would not be using it. My take!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

Having a meltdown right now! Liz emailed me that Dr. Sullivan has to go out of town unexpectedly on my surgery date Feb.22nd and asked if we could move surgery back 1 week. I have everything planned and also am having a baby shower at my house on February 16th for a dear friend. I feel sick to my stomach ! Hope this isn't a bad sign :/

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

This is not a bad sign! It is simply unexpected! Take a deep breath and consider your options. We contend with the unexpected at so many turns with cancer and this is another one. Fortunately this is a month in advance vs a day or less. You will be able to figure this one out. I don't know about you, but I am way too stubborn to take rescheduling as a sign not to follow through. You can do this.

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

Russell, these things sometimes happen. If you can't go the week prior, can they take you later? You're in the drivers seat. Something like this happened to me once, (they had scheduled my surgery on the day they later decided to have a staff Christmas party in early Dec! And needed to move my surgery!) and they had to reimburse me for changing flights, and help me find hotel and all that. Katie at the center can help you with all that and make sure you get reimburssed if need be. 

Deep breath! It will be okay! It will be okay. You are going to be fine! Deep Breath!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

Aw Russell I know it isn't what u wanted but everyone is right. You will make it work and Katie will help you. I had my stage II moved a couple of times. It All worked out, and probably for the better.

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2013

Two nights in the hospital and just this one more to go!  The nurse said they will probably cut us loose around 1:00 or 2:00 tomorrow (Sunday). I had another good day today. And I had a shower! That was wonderful and I was able to wash and fix my own hair. I had been under the impression I would have limited range of motion in my arms but that wasn't the case. Apparently, since I didn't have any nodes removed (because I had no cancer diagnosis), my arm strength and range of motion were not impacted. 

I'm still quite sore and it's tough figuring out the best way to sit and stand without feeling like I'm pulling something that shouldn't be pulled. The nurses assure me that won't happen though so I'm just wincing through the short-term pain brought on by the sitting or standing movement. Once I'm up, I'm good to go and managed to make several laps around the hospital floor today. Besides getting the hang of babying my incisions (particularly the large one across my abdomen since it is really the only one that hurts when I put any strain on it), the only other thing I'm having to get used to is the fact that right now my breasts (my newly refilled breasts) are HUGE from swelling. And I mean HUGE...at least twice the size they were before the transplants. The doctors and nurses tell us this is completely normal and one of the reasons for me having temporary drains in place to pull off the excess fluid. They don't really hurt, it's just a VERY full and very LARGE feeling. All I know is, I have a whole new respect and sympathy for those women with massive-sized breasts and I'm sure glad mine won't be staying this way! 

All in all, things are going great so far and we think I'm doing very well all things considered - certainly better than we thought I might. I get winded easily (it was a long surgery after all) and I have to baby my incisions, but the pain seems to be very manageable with pain medicine (thank God for pain medicine!) And I've got absolutely no regrets. In one day I was able to reduce my chances of ever getting breast cancer from 40% to less than 1%. Plus, once everything has healed and I have my Stage 2 revision/sculpting surgery in 3 or 4 months, I will have healthy "new" breasts and a flatter tummy. That surgery is not nearly so involved and is only a one-night hospital stay. What's to regret? We know it might not be the right decision for everyone in my position (of being high-risk), but we've no doubt it was the right one for me. As My DH and I have said several times, it was a no brainer. The hospital here is wonderful and the doctors are the best and most experienced in the country at the state of the art breast reconstruction methods. Women come from all over the country (and the world) to be taken care of by these physicians. It is all they do and the what they do is amazing. I will now have an extremely low risk for developing cancer, "new and improved" perky boobs and a flatter tummy by the time this process is over. Even with a couple of weeks of bearable pain, what's not to like?!

Thank you all for your prayers and well-wishes.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

4my4 - you are right on target!  I can't believe how elequently you write on pain meds.  So glad you are doing well!

Russell - I am sorry about the change, but who knows - maybe for the best.  One of those strength building moments that they tell us everyone needs - but then "they" haven't been where we are!

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

4my4, you sound so good! Congratulations! Sometimes, when you leave the hospital and arrive at hotel, that is a bit of a big day, so don't be surprised if you find it more exhausting than you would normally expect! Take it slow, you are doing great! don't forget, you can walk walk walk., within reason. I did! Use that to your advantage! It's good for your recovery. 

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

4my4-Amen So true!

Russell- Many people here have had changes to their schedule. We have everything planned to a tee and when it changes we lose some control. It is hard emotionally. However, it all works out and you will do great. Just make sure the Center reimburses you for plane change fees. They will do this.

Just wondering if the thickness in the abdominal scar resolves. I didn't expect this and don't like it.

• kkemp2211
    kkemp2211 Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2013

4my4babies - sounds like things are going well for you which is encouraging for me as my surgery approaches. I'm local so if your dh needs anything let me know!

Russell - My date was changed and it annoyed me, to say the least, but I think the women on here speak highly enough about the doctors that the date change was acceptable. And it gave me something else to worry about (besides my scary surgery!) I hope you can work out the other details. Keep in mind, flights and hotels might be higher due to mardi gras festivities. Sounds like the staff will work with you so don't let it discourage you.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

Thanks all for the encouraging words. Yes it will work out!!! (sigh) I'm hoping to schedule it the week after due to the Mardi gras.

4my4babies..so glad you are doing well!!!

I will keep you all updated..xo

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

It will work out Melanie.  Just a slight bump in the road.  If you end up going a week ealier, I will be visiting you in the hospital instead of you visiting me!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2013

4my4- glad to hear you are well and another happy deip woman. I also was a pbm. It was a great decision for me.

Ladies, my stage 2 with dr. Sullivan is in 10 days. I have a few questions, can you please help me with?

1. I am not sure i want a lift. Has anyone not had a lift and been happy with that decision, or had a. Lift and been unhappy and why?

2. Should i do lipo of outer thighs? I am 58. Who did your outer thighs and we you happy with the sults?

3. Should i di lipo of the inner thighs? Same questions.

I look very much towards your replies. Thanks.

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

I did lipo of outer thighs. Love it. totally transformed my look. The skin bounces back and becomes really tight there, looks great. I have some numbness there, but I think that is from the GAP not the lipo. 

I also did lipo of inner thighs. Have to be more careful there because the skin does not bounce back as much. But the docs know this. 

I have never had any lipo that I regret!! It is a recovery period, but to me, it has been worth it. They are experts at contouring the human body! Hope this helps.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013

Spring, I was wondering how long it took to see your lipo results, and how long did you wear compression ?

thanks

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2013

Dr D's Ask A Doc forum just had a question posted about lipo and fat grafting for breast recon.

The patient had numerous questions, which Dr D gave very good detailed responses to.

The link is in Springtime original post at top or here. http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/msg/1358638683.html

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

At 60, I want Dr. M to lipo as much as she can!  This is a small gift that I won't turn away.

• Cherrie
    edited January 2013

I think what some are saying is it isn't always a gift. I'm with you Marty, but I want to know more. Also, compression through the summer will not be fun. 6 mo. is a looooong time. Can some be done at 2b? Hoping to do that in the fall.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2013

I wanted as little lipo as possible, and that's what Dr. M gave me.  Even with what I had I've felt the effects of fat redistribution in gaining more weight in some places than I did before (forearms, upper arms, thighs and calves, upper stomach, upper back).  I'm glad now I didn't have more lipo than I did.