Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

4my4babies, your relief pours out of your updates!  So glad things are going well for you!

Betsy, that is hilarious!  So many interpretations (none of which should indicate that you are planning Stage 4 surgery).  Maybe you are "bearing" the burden of another surgery?  Maybe Dr. D should be very careful when you wake up post-op.  Pack the car, honey!  Load up the bear!  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

"bearing" Ha Ha

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2013

Betsy holy cow I don't EVEN venture a guess!! Made me chuckle reading it though!!!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

4my4babies...I'm so happy for you! Knowing that you don't have to worry about breast cancer is a big relief.

Bdavis your dream was funny! I think you had it because people were probably telling you that you could use their fat for the surgery. When I explain the surgery to people they are always offering their fat and would be glad to come along!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

Bear in mind that our unconscious is active although we BARELY know it. We can't BEAR people telling us we can take their fat. Too funny Betsy. It is all getting so real to you.

Thinking of you girl!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

Betsy, that is the funniest thing I every heard regarding NOLA!!!! Sedated bear. LOL!!! And I hope you had extra sedation, just in case!

Short list!

Jan 30 - Pamela44 - Stage 2, NOLA.

Jan 30 - BDavis - Stage 2B, Dr. D., NOLA.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

betsy...love it... we just never can tell what these things may mean. I too get the "would you like to use my fat" line. I just tell em no way my body rejected my own why would it like yours

Maggie-2

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2013

Hi all-

I can't believe I forgot to ask to have my surgery on the schedule. I am scheduled for 2B on March 13 with Dr. S at St. Charles. I scheduled it back in October when they couldn't get me in before the holidays for abdominal scar revision. I am sort of on the fence still, like maybe it is ok to accept good enough. And if I go back, I am going to ask for all the little things, like one breast being bigger than the other, maybe getting a little more lift, a little scar bulge, etc. etc. Then I am back to a half a dozen surgical sites. And that is hard to go back to when I have been living normal life now for almost a year. I can do all my workouts, have done extensive PT and massage on my abdomen and scars. I feel loose and strong at the same time and know I will have to start over. But the main thing is this hard lump in my abdomen. That said, PT has trained me how to isolate that area and contract the muscles differently than I did before and I can get the bump much flatter than I could before. But for now, I am still planning to go. Maybe I will see one of you there. Maybe I will get there and he will say wow, you look great, let's not touch a thing. Maybe he will say wow, let's tweak this and fix that and lift this and lipo that. Did I mention my left thigh is two inches bigger than the right? Almost like they lipoed one and forgot the other? Not sure but I am going to ask. Will be gearing up and getting nervous about a month from now, but still nothing like stage 1, the unknown.

Keri

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2013

Kbodie~

It is a difficult decision on when to call it quits, but only you know what you can live with whether it's aesthetics or pain that may or may not be fixed with another surgery.

If you aren't sure if your surgeon lipoed both thighs, you can ask for your medical records to read the operative notes.  My surgeon's staff has handed me my medical records at both my post-op appointments, and scanned and emailed more to me at a later date.  I like to read them to get a better understanding, and to ask better questions.  You also never know if you will need your medical records for local medical care so always nice to have.

I have 2b and 2c in my future, and looking forward to getting this BC surgery stuff over with and moving on -- again.   

• Russell1
    edited January 2013

Oh my gosh.. Keri, I would not like one thigh being two inches bigger than the other! That would bug all of us! It is so good to hear that you are back to normal and working out:) Hoping that you come home and heal quickly!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013

Keri,  I had lipo of my muffin top for fat grafting two years ago. However only one side was done.  I have been dragging my feet about having more surgery.  when I finally decided and hoped to have the other side done it didn't happen and some other revisions were made.  Surgery is hard on me.  I don't do well with it and I have promised my family that I am done.  I will keep my promise.  I often look at my back side muffin top and don't like the "fluffy" side, but I have found some nice shapeware that helps and if I watch what I eat it helps.  All that I can tell you is I like feeling good and cancer free.  I feel blessed that what has been done so far is pretty darn good and I can put up with a few imperfections.  We all have to make those decisions for our self.  I'm sure Dr. S will guide you too.  Good luck with everything.  March will be here before you know it.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Keri... I am pretty even but my outer right thigh is a little rounder than the left. It is on my list for Dr D.

Glad I could entertain you all with my bear story... I too think it has something to do with people offering their fat, plus I have used my abs and butt and will now have a rotaional flap. Maybe I am concerned about donor sites. Who knows... I was just so surprised I remembered my dream, that rarely happens.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

Pamela and Betsy - y'all fly safely. I hope this wintery weather doesn't cause you flight problems. What a great time to be in NOLA.

I got curious about bras yesterday. Since I only own the light ones I bought after Stage 1, curiosity took over. Went to VS. The good news is that the scars were hidden by the bras. Bad news is that I may be more of a b than a c. That said, it is definitely not bra time yet! With much of the leftie under my arm, filling any cup was not gonna happen. Oh well, no more curiosity. I'll wait til after Stage 2 or 2b or 2 c before I try again.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013

Just wondering if anyone has had JUST 3D tattoos (no surgical nips)  If so, I do you like them and how do they look?  How long  does it take, cost ?  Thanks.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2013

I haven't been on here in a while, had my consult with Dr D, and back to work. Life gets soooo busy. Not sure what my next step is going to be but been surfing the web to help. Came across something really helpful and wanted to share...IF I go to Nola and it is a big IF (scaredy cat) :)

I went to costco travel to price rental cars and when I picked up car at MSY and dropped it off at MSY it was double the price of picking it up near canal or hope lodge and bringing it back to MSY.

This was a savings of almost 300.00 for a week car rental!!

Hope someone finds this helpful as I did for future travels :)

Have a great week.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2013

I am active on other threads, but always visit here to get as much info as I can about diep. I am now scheduled for an April surgery in Canada. Just wondering about the comments several of you have made about the positioning of your diep breasts? Could I get some education on why some of you have the flaps "migrate" to your axillas? I sure hope that doesn't happen to me, but want more info so I can raise the question with my doc! Thanks, ladies, you are so helpful to everyone.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

Hilarious Besty about your dream!  I had a somewhat similar dream last night involving a lion that was following me. Woud be interesting to be able to interpret what these animals means.

I'm so happy for you that you are up so soon!

Keri, don't feel bad about wanting your thighs to be even, I think we all understand.

nihahi, I'm not sure my tissue migrated there as much as it was placed there from the begining.  I could tell I had too much tissue there from basically the beginning.  It's definitely something I hope to address at stage 2.  I'd prefer to have more projection instead of width like I have now.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

nihahi... After stage I, everything was just too much (too wide, too big...), but its ok, cause it gives the doctor something to work with at stage II... but since stage II, I definitely have fat under my armpits that I didn't used to. I wouldn't say it migrated though. So next week as part of my stage IIb, that fat will be excised. He lipo'd there at stage II, but that didn't work. He even admitted that excision is the best way to get rid of it. For me though, he will use the one side as a rotational flap to fix an area of necrosis.

• Russell1
    edited January 2013

Thanks for that explanation bdavis:)

• nihahi
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the info, ladies. I think I'm starting to get the picture, aka, the diep flap "fat" doesn't migrate, it is more do to the original placement?? Somewhere, while doing diep research, I saw info on the procedure, where the OR table was adjusted during surgery, so the patient is put into a more "upright" position. The purpose was to be able to close the ab wound, without tension, as well as have a better idea of how the flap would be "oriented" when the patient was more in a sitting position. Cannot remember what the info site was. Do any of you know if your surgeons do this?

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Nihahi, I think that they all adjust the table.  No other way to see what they are doing.  I am so glad we are asleep as we are laying down, sitting up and for some, flipping over.  I am one who's leftie has migrated under the arm.  My surgeon said no problem, she would reposition at Stage 2.  Their primary goal at stage 1 is a good flap transplant.  

• nihahi
    edited January 2013

Oh dear, so some of the issues IS because of migration?????? My diep flap is going to be done because the implant is now a capsular contraction. I think that I'm similar to your situation Marty. Do you think there is a greater chance of migration because that area is "looser" from being pre-stretched by the implant? Nerves are now starting to ramp up, and I am still more than two months away!!!!!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2013

Nihahi, I would think the surgeon would place enough fat tissue on your chest to fill the breast envelope that you have now.  Also, it is better for there to be too much tissue after stage 1 then too little, it is easier to go from larger to smaller then from smaller to larger.

Ok, confession, I did not lose the ten pounds I wanted to before stage 2.  I know this will make it more difficult for me to get a final result that I want, given I might lose the pounds afterwards.  I really don't want my breasts to shrink after stage 2 but I guess I have no one to blame but myself.  Want to go and get this all overwith already. Leaving in two days.  

Betsy- have a safe trip.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Nahini - my significant scar tissue was on the right, but the migration on the left.  My right was a modified radical, left was simple.  Neither left breast skin or tissue.  I think that this is just something that happens and can not be prevented.  Thankfully it can be fixed.  Because of the amount of sewing involved in microsurgery, there are two surgeons. Each has their own style and I am sure there are differences.

No need for nerves.  I don't know about you, but no one promised me a perfect set after stage 1.  It is really great to have warm and soft. My implants were firm and icy cold.  This is the first winter that I haven't had to put a hand on a boob to get my chestwall to warm up.  I have two months to go before Stage 2 and couldn't tell you what she will be doing other than lifting the left side and dealing with the necrotic areas in the right.  I will say that each week I notice changes so I am trying to stay focused on those (and make my dream list for a new body).

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

I need some advice. I found out I probably have a seroma in my stomach area from my mini tummy tuck. I am trying not to get down but I am very sad about this. I thought everything was going fine but apparently it is not the case. I have some mild swelling in my stomach area and redness around the inicision line. I did not know they were signs of a seroma. I am not a fan of needles...especially in the stomach.  I was not going to write anything here b/c I feel badly sometimes about posting these types of messages and concerning others, yet I know this thread is here to support each other.

I am starting a new job in February. I have been so excited about this opportunity, but know I am concerned that I will need to figure some way to take time off, if I need additional aspirations. Dr. Cohen said multiple aspirations are required sometimes.

Is there something I could have done to prevent this? I am super bummed. We are having family over today to celebrate my nephew and husband's birthday (they share the same birthday) and I can't stop thinking about this.

Does this hurt? Open to any feedback.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

There isn't anything you could have done to prevent the seroma, so don't beat yourself up. Sometimes the seromas just happen in spite of the doctors's skilled technique. Aspirating the seroma does not hurt, especially if the needle is inserted where you are numb. Yes, it will probably need to be aspirated several times. Fortunately each time the volume gets smaller. You will probably feel more comfortable once you know what's going on: ultrasound to see the size/shape and aspiration to find out the volume.

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Kerri... I had a seroma and it took one aspiration to resolve the problem. Afterwards, I put extra compression on it to prevent it from re-filling.

Pamela... Safe travels for you too.

Nahahi.. The flap shouldn't move as it is stitched in place, but it isn't an exact science. I have wondered if some of my necrotic tissue or fat injections dissolved and settled elsewhere. I don't know. But either way, I am having it all fixed. And if it takes a stage IIc, then so be it.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Paula and Betsy- Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you go to your local PS? My PS supported me going to NOLA but I asked if he would take out my drains (just in case) and he would not. Said it was a liability issue, which I kind of understood. I was planning to contact him on Monday to ask him if he would see me about this.

I am not very numb in my stomach, which in this situation I wish I was. Not looking forward to this and praying they can get me in next week before I start my new job.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited January 2013

Oh my gosh ladies!!!! I gathered up the strength to talk to my husband last night and he was absolutely amazing!!! He said he knew I wasn't happy and he will support me no matter what I decide!! He did say his feelings were a little hurt that I thought he wouldn't support me, but I apologized and told him I was just so torn inside on what I wanted to do.

I'm thinking a stage 2b will be in my future this year.

Good luck to you Betsy and Pamela!!!

Kerry, so sorry!!! From what I have been told aspirations don't hurt. You will be ok sweet lady!!!

Thanks again for all your support!!!

Hugs!!!

Chelle

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Kerry, I had Dr D send a script to my radiologist's office. They used an ultrasound to do the aspiration. Dr D's office told me I could get it aspirated or use a lot of compression and see if it goes away on its own. I chose to have it aspirated because I have read that if you leave a seroma and it doesn't dissolve, it can build scar tissue around it which is harder to deal with. So my suggestion is to have it aspirated and then use compression.