Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2013

Hi Ladies!  Has anyone here had their nipples constructed in stage 1?  I had my DIEP at UPENN in Philly and they asked me 10 minutes b4 surgery if I wanted this done...of course, I said yes...not thinking clearly.  I am thinking I was the first to have this done at this stage there...now, someone has brought to my attention that it's odd to have nips done so early as stage two might change the overall symmetry and nips will be offset...now, i am kinda freaking out!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Had mine done at stage II... but for the record, I think they can move the nipple...

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

Ok Marty. Trying the Miralax and hope that helps.

No pain meds today and doing great. I am tender but is is doable. Is there anything besides Flexeril that is a non-narcotic pain killer?? Does Flexeril work pretty well? If so, I may try that, but I thought it strange as it is a muscle relaxer.

I had nipple sparing but they were moved during my 2a as things had changed. I think it is something that they can redo at anytime. Don't worry about it.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Cherrie... Flexerall is a muscle relaxer.. what are you taking it for?? And I used miralax and ducolax to get things moving... it worked. But took a couple of days.

So today, 4 weeks post op, I went to spin class - stayed seated, didn't jump, and only stayed for 35 minutes and then did the ellipitical for 10 minutes... I decided that even though I was signed up for my favorite Zumba class, it would be too much jumping and shaking... and I didn't want to disturb my fat grafting.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Dr. S had written a prescription for it when I was inNOLA in November. I wanted off opiates and he prescribed this. My doctor friend couldn't understand this as it is a muscle relaxant. Should I just do Tylenol? The rest of my drugs are Dilaudid and Oxy which I have not tried. I just feel my pain isn't at that level now. The dilaudid did the trick for the first 4 days. I just want something less strong.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Yes, I would use tylenol... Do you have the prescription grade? 6-800mg?

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Cherrie you can do ibuprofin and tylenol in between the 8 hr doses. No ibuprofin if you are on blood thinner though. I have doing over the counter tylenol and take the prescriptions at the end of the day if needed. Adding the ibuprofin helped for my 2a. I still have one more shot to go. The flexeril is helpful to calm pain related anxiety too.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Cherrie - the miralax and ducolax will do fine, but will take a day or so.  Keep drinking that water!

Flexerill is a muscle relaxant, but that may work to take the edge off anything you have going on.  Sometimes when in pain, we tense muscles and don't realize it - so flexeril will give relief.  Maybe take the oxy or dilauded at night and acetiminephin during the day.  Oxy gave me nightmares, so I preferred the dilauded.

Anita - Are you on blood thinners this time?  Those shots sting.  Aargh.  I was hoping to avoid that one.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

Lot going on here! So glad everyone is home and healing!!!

I called the center yesterday and today because I want to get a new date for surgery. I haven't got any response yet:( Ps here says 4 to 6 weeks should be fine.

Betsy saw your new pics and you look hot!!!

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

I am on blood thinner shots for two more days. They do sting. 💉 I like the idea of dilaudid at night and Tylenol during the day. I am sure my helper doctor could write a script for the 600-800.

I am now on Colace and one helping of Miralax so far. Hopefully tomorrow. 😥

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I wasn't given blood thinners this past time...

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Cherrie - keep on with the Miralax daily for a several days.  It won't hurt you and will counter the effects of the narcotic pain killers.  Just to help things along.  I've got a note on my calendar to start it before surgery this time.

Betsy, the exercise today sounded great.  Way to go!

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

Yes blood thinner shots this time Marty. I also had them for 2a as well - seven days worth both times.I found that the stinging is minimized if I go in at an angle with the needle. I use my outer thigh and alternate legs each day.

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

Wow Betsy, you did hit it at the gym. That is very encouraging to hear! The spin class at my gym isn't a leisurely bike ride either. Great job. Hey, have you started taking the green coffee bean again? I would love to hear details about it and if it works. A few ladies discussed it before your 2b and nothing about it since.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

oh man...I forgot about those shots...ick!!

talked with Melody from the center and she went over my finincial responsibility with me...it is a whopping $219...I have paid in quite a bit already this yr due to the complications of my stage 1 in Nov so guess my awful insurance is really paying off....so excited, nervous, etc.   breathe breathe breathe.   My worst fear is that this one will fail too and I will be left with no options for leftie which physically would be ok but mentally would blow me away.  But that is just not going to happen!!! positive thoughts are powerful

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Re lovenox injections - I am confused about injection site.  I wasn't given any instruction at the hospital. So, after Stage 2 before my first injection, I googled how to do it and the manufacturer indicated to only use the stomach.  Downey told me that she was instructed to use the arm.  Anita - you are using the thigh.  Any thoughts?

I took the green coffee bean for a while, but got sidetracked.  I intend to start again after Stage 2.  The first bottle I bought did not say Svetol on it and I don't think it abated hunger as well.  Part of the key is to remember to take it 30 minutes before eating (something I am not very good at doing).

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

I was told to use the thigh...maybe that was because the tummy was off limits from the diep??

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Marty-I am PM ing you right now

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

Mags... It is going to work this time:) I just know it!

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

For blood thinners I used the thigh. Right on top alternating legs.

Anita. I started again today. Will keep u posted. It doesn't work with dairy and I usually eat yogurt for breakfast so I take it before lunch and dinner.

Yes. The gym. I didn't do the sprints and jumps, just stayed seated. So it wasn't as rigorous, but a good starting point.

Maggie. That is awesome.

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2013

Can someone tell me what "plication" is?  Is it short for complication?  Duh... :)

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

Mags hoping the good karma about your share of the bill carries you all the way through the end of recovery with a great pair of tatas.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Paula - plication is used to tighten the abdominal muscles.  Some tummy tucks (mini tucks) do not include plication.  Plication is usually not done during the initial Stage 1 of DIEP.  If it is needed it would be done somewhere in Stage 2.  

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited February 2013

Maggie, that is great news! Everything is going to work out for you!

I called this Center earlier this week after noticing some white substance in my nipples (I had a pbm w/ nipple sparing). Almost looks like I have little holes in the nipple. I was told it may be a milk duct that is still underneath the nipple. Does that mean I was not scraped clean possibly? Amy talked to my breast surgeon Dr. Stolier (who I completely trust) and he told her it should go away within a few months. I was surprised to hear I could even have any milk ducts left. Has anyone experience this?

I have also been experiencing night sweats ever since my surgery. I still have my ovaries, so I know it is not a menopause symptom. I spoke with another woman who experienced night sweats as well after her double mastectomy. Just wondering if this fades in time? I question if it is really from the surgery or just too many blankets :) although I just noticed it started following the surgeries. Maybe its the body healing itself?

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

I was told the thigh too. Stomach is an option but not after stage 1 and can be an inconvenience while wearing the girdle.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Maggie, positive thoughts are absolutely powerful. Say things like: I will heal fast. My surgery will be successful. Etc. You are going to kick $&@ girl. Take those deep breaths! We can't wait to hear about your new girls.

My blood thinner is done in my stomach. A lot less fat there now. Needle doesn't hurt, just the sting of the medicine. Two left!!

• willy5js5
    edited February 2013

I had complete hysterectomy in 04 and started flashing and night sweating after my first stage 2. It seems to be a common side effect for too many on this thread. It has to be from anesthesia. Too coincidental for so many of us to experience it. Kinda relieved about it now. I was worried I was going through menapause crap again. I have been drinking a glass of soy milk daily for about three weeks now and it is helping. No more soaked night clothes thank goodness.

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013

Hi Betsy

Yes it was wondeful meeting you  too.  Nice to know i have someone so close by to help.   

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Well, it seems that for Dr. M's patients, hospital of initial surgery determines where the lovenox shot is placed.  Cherrie & I were at Fairway.  I was not instructed, but Cherrie was told stomach.  Anita and Maggie were at St. Charles - use the thigh.  Jamie was at St. Charles, but uses the arm.  Very interesting.  Somthing to check with Dr M about before next go around.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Well... when the nurses gave me the shot, they used the arm, but I could never have given myself a shot in the arm. I needed both hands to do it. It absolutely helps to pucker up the skin and jab it into that puckered skin.