Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2013

Hello, everyone. It has been awhile since I have posted. Recovery wishes for all of you stage 2 girls from last week: Audrella, Willy5, Cherrie, DianeNC, & Harmony Sun! I will be joining you in the stage 2 journey in May. It is all very real now with Southwest flights booked. Hubby and I decided to fly out 4 days prior to surgery and have a little fun time! Katie booked the Bienville House for us. Decided to stay at The Hope Lodge after surgery this time. We stayed at Homewood Suites after Stage 1 which was great but decided to save the money especially since I did not feel like going anywhere after surgery.

Good luck to the girls who are up this week: Kim L, Russell 1, RunningForSanity

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Hi Tracy... I understand your hurt.. Absolutely. It is not the drugs. You went out on a limb and weren't acknowledged. I do wonder how many gifts and cards he must get, especially at the holidays. I have never sent a gift, but I do send a holiday card. Persoanlly I have never felt that he is rushed. He has always given me lots of time, answered all my questions etc. After surgery, and rounds, I didn't see him this go around, but I did for all my other surgeries... although I did see other doctors as well, but mostly Laura. And all phone calls have been from Jeanine and Laura, never Dr D. i just think that is how they work. Dr Massey is different, and perhaps you are reading how she calls or emails her patients, but the doctors at the Center don't. I can't speak for Dr Massey and her protocol, but Drs DellaCroce and Sullivan are super busy, kind of work hard, play hard philosophy.  And Dr D does have his Ask the Doctor forum which he is attentive to, and will answer questions there... and you could always email him directly too. Where did you mail his gift? Is it possible he didn't get it?? And just said he did? Try not to be hurt... hugs.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Hi Judy... Missed your post. Yes, I turned 50 this past January... I am all for the bilateral. Once they use the abdominal fat, they can't use it again for the other side. Just my 2 cents.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Tracy, I too, understand your feelings. On occasion I have sent gifts, usually chocolate or wine. Once, given directly to the dr. And received a very warm thank you.Once, mailed to another dr. And received a lovely hand written thank you card. But once, sent to my oncologist, never acknowledged and when I asked his staff and medical assistant apparently it was never received. Soitis possible your gift was not received.

One thing I find odd about this "travel for surgery" is that the dr. Never sees his finished product, and we don't get to voice concerns or questions to them directly as a result. Oh well, I guess that is the price to pay for having to find the most skilled.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone ! Tomorrow I will know.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2013

Dr. D has spent a total of one minute with me post-op over both surgeries.  I just chalked it up to being a very busy person with a very capable staff.  Jeanine told me that they tend to work 60 hour weeks, so they probably have to work hard to make time for their families.  I wouldn't be offended.  They give us their attention when it counts the most.  

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013

I'm just a bit down tonight for some reason.  I think I am homesick and REALLY miss my girls and my dogs.

I actually physically feel great!  Haven't taken a pain pill but once this morning and have been on the move all day.  Went to City Park for a few hours and just got back from a really cool jazz nightclub/restaurant on Frenchmen street.  I'm pretty worn out...I think I may need a vacation from my surgery lol.  We've become good friends with the owner of the apartment we are renting and he's made sure we were entertained that's for sure!  If anyone is looking for a great place to stay, I cannot recommend any higher the Bearigny Suites.  The owner is so incredibly nice and accommodating.  

I realize the docs there get lots and lots of fan mail and gifts.  I literally put hours into writing exactly the right words for Dr. D. and to find out he didn't read it just stings.  I didn't expect a gushing handwritten letter at all....just an acknowledgment even via email that he'd received it would have sufficed.  That's really all I care about is that he read what I thought was important to tell him.  I may just email him directly and attach the letter, and might even do it in a joking manner to take the pressure off.  Anyone have his email address?  PM me if you do.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is he did a great job, an outstanding job actually and I will always have a special place in my heart for him because he's literally transformed my life.  I'm cancer free, I look and feel better than I have in YEARS, and I have made a few new friends along the way...not a bad ending I'd say :)

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2013

Betsy

Awesome I may try to come by around 9:30 if that is ok

Marcy

• marcypt
    edited February 2013

Russell 1 quick question did they want you to go off of your Femara before surgery ?

Thinking of you today and hope u get positive news and you are healing so u can continue with your journey

• marcypt
    edited February 2013

Russell 1 quick question did they want you to go off of your Femara before surgery ?

Thinking of you today and hope u get positive news and you are healing so u can continue with your journey

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

Marena question- there are two that look just a like the LGA and the LGA2

One has a zipper and one is a pull-up. These don't have legs, but I didn't need that. I need compression on flanks and back.

Any advice on these two.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Cherrie order the one without zippers and use it after the drains come out. That is what Betsy told me - no zippers after drains out.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2013

You can use the pull-up one with drains, it's just a little trickier to get on. But there's no harm in doing that.

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Sorry, Brenda, I knew that.  I believe the theory was why cut holes in the new Marena.  Moving to a garment with out the slits sort of made me feel like I was making progress.  Also, the zippers on both of mine (veronique and merana) got ripply around the waist.  From what I have been told, the ones without the zippers don't get that ripple.  Oh, well.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2013

PinkHeart, I believe he removed the alloderm with the implants because it was no longer needed. Don't know the cc's but I am 38 C cups.

Laura (was it Laura or Linda? Sorry!!) After all that mess with implants, why would you want to go through that again? The body lift is a big surgery, and there is a stage 2, but then you will be totally done for the rest of your life, and you will have gorgeous, natural looking and feeling boobs. I think with implants, you are going to have reptitive issues, sounds like you already have. If it was me, I'd go for natural tissue, but I always hated implants, hated the idea, hated them in actuality, I got capsular contracture on the radiated side, was not natural looking at all. Was glad they were gone. It's a very personal decision though, not sure if my opinion matters a hoot! You have to do what is right for you. This is a journey...

Russell, what a roller coaster. report back on what is happening! I can imagine you just want this over with!

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

I removed the dressings today and was able to take a real shower instead of a sponge bath. It felt wonderful. It is such a joy to look at my reconstruction with the nipples.  I am simply amazed with all of this. Dr M wants me to wear the nipple shields for six weeks if I can stand it that long. I do need to trim them.  They project so far under my clothes and look down right silly! I feel really great but had a minimal amount done for the 2b. I probably could have gone back to work today but was already scheduled off so I will stick with my original plan and go back to work Wednesday. The bruising from the lipo on my thighs shows more colors than I ever saw on skin before. It looks much worse than it feels. 

Cherrie I am going with the LGS2 Marena. It is high waisted pull on type and the legs end right above the knees. I don't like the bulkiness of the zippers with the Veronique. The zippers bunch up and pucker through the torso area. I have a business trip in a couple weeks and I want smooth lines under my clothes so I am getting a Marena.  I know you don't need the legs this time, but you might need them later with your 2b. The only place Dr M could find adequate fat for grafting on me this time was the inner thighs which requires a garment with legs. Just thought you might consider that and possibly save some additional expense later.

I hope everyone continues to heal well - good luck tomorrow Kim.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

I own the Marena that goes below the knee... I had lipo of inner knee so I needed the longer one (but not to the ankle), and all the way up to the breast. The picture looks like it only goes half way up, but it does go all the way up. I agree about the zippers being bulky... much prefer their stage II garment. And as much as I would like to have worn the zipperless one with drains, it is just too difficult for me. For proper compression, it is a snug fit, and I couldn't dream of pulling it over my drains. I did it once, but didn't care for it.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Thanks everyone. I won't need a garment to the knees until my 2c in the fall. They are expensive, but Dr. M likes us in them "forever" so I thought I would purchase a Marena or two ,for comfort. I only have breast drains right now, but sore from lypo.

I thought in the fall I could cut off the top part of the DOM. I won't need that part of it. Has anyone done that??

This is the plan:

2b-May- DIEP scar revision and pulling up my hooha!

2c-fall- inner thigh lypo and final fat grafting

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2013

I had a freind who cut the top part off her DOM, even through the zipper (!!) and it kept on working.  It was way to high in the waist for her, and driving her batz. Worked fine. I also loved my Marina, so much smoother on the skin, and still great compression. 

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

I will have a lot of girdles when this is over. It is worth it to be comfortable.

Do you buy one and use it over and over or get two of them?

Thanks for adding me to the list Spring.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Hooha lol. Thanks for giggles! So funny Cherrie.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

leaving for NOLA in 5 days...it is really happening!!  My stomach is sick just thinking about recovery again.  Drain...ugh.  Then hopefully I will be back soon for stage 2...wanna be done this year for real!

russell--any news??  hoping for the best for you.

happy healing my sexy friends ;)

Maggie

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Maggie, I'm rooting for you!  Lightning does not strike twice!

Ok, I feel a little weird discussing this but here goes.  I am four weeks tomorrow from stage 2 and they are not exactly the same size.  I'm aggravated, doubtful and feeling foolish and disappointed all at once.  Preop my left breast was smaller then my right.  Dr. S. I believe put equal amount of abdominal tissue into either size (maybe they have to do it that way) and after stage one the left was smaller then the right.  I didn't care too much because I was so thrilled with the new shape.  Going into stage 2 I told him the left was smaller, but oddly enough it was fuller but narrower if you can understand that.  I got the op report.  He put only one more vial of fat into the left then the right and he did reshape them making the left look a lot better.  After the surgery they looked great.  They are still very pretty but it is clear the right is larger then the left.  This has been especially noticeable in the last week when I guess some of the fat transfer or swelling has reduced.  They are on the borderline of being acceptable to me since I still think they are really pretty but I have noticed the projection of the right is more then the left and that I am not happy with.  If it were just the width it wouldn't bother me as much.  I have a call out to the center, but I clearly stated I did not want to have to come a third time.  Especially with my tenuous ovca diagnosis I want to be free of surgeries and medical interventions because who knows when I will have to deal with all that again.  And I am not sure...sometimes I think the difference is within the realm of normal, and I still look so much better then before.  Naturally there was a difference but I never really noticed or thought about it because I didn't focus on it and because I tend to wear molded bra cups in which no difference is seen.  Now however I am wearing a soft no underwire bra and I can see a slight difference in projection.  As I wrote this I just got a phone call from Celeste and she said to send her pictures and then 4 weeks later too.  I just don't want more down time.  I care less about the surgery and more about the away time from pleasurable activities given my ovca diagnosis. Also I don't know if ins. would pay any more, they have paid over $200,000 to date so far.  I know I am now just rambling but I am teetering on being weepy about this.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

Pamela...so sorry darling....you have a right to be upset...it is your body!  It is my understanding that the insurance must continue to pay for revisions until we the patient are satisfied with the result.  I know that may mean more surgery for you and I know how crappy the thought is.  Perhaps others will be able to help you with some insight as to whether or not they may be better with time and the swelling goes down. For now accept this big "{{{HUG}}}

Maggie

• Pamela44
    edited February 2013

Thanks Maggie.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Pamela.. I can't speak for your insurance company, but mine has paid... and as you know I may go back for a 2c... just a small tweak... I have sent pictures and will send them again after some time has passed...But I am also not opposed to another surgery... If I were totally done with that, I may be in a different mind set.

And I cut the top off my DOM, right thru the zippers. It worked fine, but the zipper end got a little scratchy.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Pamela(((hugs))) Maggie, I know you are worried, but I believe you will end up happy with your procedure. You can do this girlfriend. We are here for you.

I am only taking one dilaudid every 4/5 hours now instead of 2 pills. I am sleeping a lot. My lipo is very tender but doable. My worst pain is in my right breast from the lift. It comes and goes. Sharp and stinging. Nerve?????

Ordering the Marenas tomorrow. I will get the ones with no zipper, but an open crotch. No thigh or leg compression. Thanks for the suggestions. You are helpful as usual. 😘

• MartyJ
    edited February 2013

Pamela, so very sorry you are sad.  Hoping things will change with time.  Just know we are all here to support you.

Maggie - I can't wait for your first post op posting - it is going to be victorious!  

Cherrie - hoping that the pain from a whooha lift is nothing like what you are experiencing with your breast lift.  A whooha lift?  Whodathunkit?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Marcy.. It was great meeting you today!!!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited February 2013

Where is the picture forum?