Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Kim - many of my hard areas have softened.  Time and patience.  Others will be taken care of at Stage 2.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies, happy St Patty's weekend to you! Mags, I am over joyed for you. Three weeks out from 2b and I feel perfectly normal. If it wasn't for a little remaining glue and undissolved stitches I would not know I had surgery three weeks ago. I am on the wait and see plan about a 2c in the future. The revisions have become easier each time and if I do have a 2c I honestly think I could do Friday surgery and be back to work on Monday. I am still in awe over my new nipples. Happy happy joy joy.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

Kim...have you called the center and asked about it? I'm sure it's something that can be addressed in Stage 2. I've read on here where they go in and do what's called "power washing" and soften things up. I'm sure the gals will chime in and give advice:) I wish we could go to sleep at night without the "worry" Sending you gentle hugs!!!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

Mags,  so very very happy for you.  Enjoy your own bed.

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2013

Mags I am so happy for you!! I have been praying for you and I'm so glad the flap is hanging on!!! Enjoy being home and sleeping in your own bed!! There's no place like home :-)

Kim, if you are concerned I'd call and have them address your concerns, but you will be amazed on what can be done at stage 2. Hang in there, it does get better and will all work out.

Hugs!!!

Chelle

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Kim.... You are so early in the recovery process... You need to give it time... You will see that it will soften.... And then whatever doesn't soften Dr D will jet spray it to break it up.... That works for most people... And if that doesn't do it, there is a baby flap option... My left breast at 3 weeks post stage one was very firm.... By stage two, two thirds had softened. Post stage two, I still had a section the size of a plum still firm, so Dr D did a tdap flap... Now it is finally soft. Have faith and don't don't fret.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2013

Ugh having a very rough day. Very swollen and the breasts are not looking too hot so between the drugs and pain and doubt and anxiety, I am not in a good state of mind. Trying to pep talk myself but wondering if I should have done this. I just want to go to sleep and wake up a month from now and have everything be just right. So many personal decisions to make that offer regret with every option. I know a few more days time and getting home with more distractions will be helpful. Sorry to be the Debbie downer. Will hopefully be posting all kinds of optimism soon.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2013

KBodie,  NEVER worry about being a downer.  We are all here for you.  Give yourself some time to heal. I promise it gets better and better.  In a while it will just be a distant memory.  Make sure you are getting good healing sleep.  If not, ask for something that will help.  That will make a big difference.  Tomorrow will be better.  Gentle Hugs, Jamie

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

• Kim_L
    Kim_L Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2013

You know what?  My hard right boob seems just the littlest bit softer already.  (LOL!)  I know quite a lot of this is in my imagination - both the ups and the downs.  I appreciate all your soothing words and I will try my best to have faith and confidence. 

Kbodie, I'm right there with you with the pessimism and anxiety.  I am physically quite strong, but OMG mentally...?  Whatever minor neuroses I have peaked under the strain of surgery and recovery!  I also had that thought that this treatment and reconstruction plan was only the right idea if nothing major went wrong, and that just put the pressure on and turned up my hypochondria to full volume.  Still... it got better and better every single day.  By almost 3 weeks out, I am now feeling strong glimmers of my old self here and there. I feel pretty energetic and capable, and even optimistic about the future.  I really think we'll both get there largely unscathed, but it's going to take some time.  Feel free to PM me. 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited March 2013

kbodie..I read in the packet from the center that what you are feeling is normal to happen after surgery. I know how you feel..I just want to wake up and it all be over and ok..We are here for you!!!!

• KBodie
    edited March 2013

Thank you thank you wonderful ladies. I am laying off the meds as they mess with my head. It is more uncomfortable but I feel more myself. It was really uplifting to read your posts and know you have felt the doubt. My swelling is peaking and probably will for a couple more days. I hate that part. Looking forward to my post-op tomorrow so I can lay my worries out in the open. Thank you again for being so sweet.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2013

Kbodie, and isn't this site the exact right place to vent those feelings instead of just keeping them in?? It helps to know there are people out there that have some of the same feelings we might experience - even if our experiences are fleeting or longer lasting - know for sure there are many of us who have those same feelings - which hopefully go away within a short time. Hopefully your post op gives you great consolation and that you soon realize the healing that comes with these surgeries.

I think this breast cancer journey has many peaks and valleys and all of us weather them at one point or another - but is very comforting to know that we aren't alone!

Hugs

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2013

It is definitely normal to feel the way you do. I had a lot of tears after surgery. Week 2 and week 3 I hit bottom. I really turned the corner the next week and it was all uphill from there. When you know this is normal you muddle your way through. Take care of yourself. Be selfish and let others help. Also, it is fine toco plain. Others got me through and hopefully we can pay that forward.

Take care. Spring is around the corner. That is big for us northern girls!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2013

I think a lot of ladies don't want to complain on the board because it seems negative, but I think sometimes we give a one-sided view of recovery when we don't hear the full range of experiences.  It is very challenging, but we get through it!  I'm glad you are easing off the meds -- the wrong meds can really make things more difficult.  I hope you are turning that first corner soon!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

I am home! Feels great for sure. I took ashower then painted the incisions and took pix for dr m. The two flaps look so different and are really uneven. I am putting my faith in dr m to make em perfect by the end of the yr. My compression was taken off to allow the new flap to "drain" and now that I am home she wants me in it...wow its tight. Feels like it is pushing my flap to my face. Maybe I just gotta get used to it...my freedom for the last week was about saving the flap and now we have to care for the donor site. I see now why its called a shark bite.

Maggie

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2013

Mags - so glad you are home!

Kbodie - hope you get all of the answers you need at your appt tomorrow.

Marcypt - good luck with Stage 1!

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Maggie... Make sure your compression girdle does not bump into your boobs. Roll it down or don't zip it up all the way... You want to compress your butt, not your upper abs.

• KBodie
    edited March 2013

Welcome home Maggie! Getting painting and compressing and showering and dressing done is a full time job! Easier done at home though. Rest easy.

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Kbodie... You are only 4 days out, right? I remember after my IIb thinking initially it didn't look great... But time is our friend here.... Have faith... Dr Sullivan knows his stuff, and I am sure in two weeks you will have a different feeling about it all... Let the swelling go down...

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2013

talked to DR M and the compression is off...traded for a spanx model that just comes to the waist...much more tolerable.  We do not want anything making this flap blow up with fluid at all!!

Thanks to all of you for helping me throuh this.  Do not know what I would do without you.  My hubby is amazing but I know that you all can relate to all of this.

Maggie-2

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013

Hello everyone

I am going in tomorrow for stage 1. Wish me luck.

Mags I think I saw you walking outside with your hubby on Friday.

Glad you are home and healing .

Will post soon

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

You will do great Marcy. Keep us posted. Rest, drink, walk......

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2013

Good Luck, Marcy!! I'm right behind you a week from Tuesday. Keep us posted.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Good luck Marcy, sleep well tonight

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Good luck to you to Elizabeth :)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2013

Marcy & Elizabeth - sleep well.  We will see you on the other sideSmile!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013

Good luck Marcy and Elizabeth!  

Kim....You are definitely still swollen at 3 weeks out.  I was still swollen at 16 weeks out when Dr. D. did my stage 2.  He took care of all the hardness, which was nearly 1/3rd or more of the flap.  I worried so much, it kept me up at night, etc.  I REALLY wish I had calmed down and kept the faith.  I completely stressed myself out over nothing.

Kbodie...hopefully you will feel better after your postop and you hear how wonderful you are really doing.  I was really down after Stage 2 as well.  I think it's normal.  Hang in there!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2013

Mags so glad you are home... I'm glad your flap is happy!

Kbodie... Been thinking of you.  I hope all is well.  Chin up... I am confident you will see soon that it was all worth while. I would love to know what was done...

Big hugs to to Marcy and Elizabeth!  You'll rock it!

• KBodie
    edited March 2013

Post -op today was what I needed. Dr. Sullivan was smiling and saying this is going to look terrific. I expressed my fears about the breasts and he said in a few weeks they will round out and look just right. And I know better. I know to trust him. I have never seen anything less than amazing from him. But the mind does crazy things to us. The mind on drugs, even more so. He put me in a new compression garment that is a full bodysuit. I think it would be more comfortable except I then asked the nurse what about my armsnso she had me put the long sleeve compression top OVER the bodysuit. I am fairly miserable. I know the swelling is peaking and will worsen tomorrow on the plane. In a few days, I will feel so much better. I know this but have nothing to distract me to get there faster! Good luck stage ones today! Healing thoughts coming at you!

• Cherrie
    edited March 2013

Marcy and Elizabeth you will do great! We are here for you with any questions you might have. Sleep, eat, drink,walk....can't wait to hear from you strong women.