Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

OMG...I am sitting here watching Shark Tank and my drain does not hurt...wow wow wow....I love the washcloth thing!  Really takes the pressure off where it comes out and lets me direct it better thank you thank you

Maggie

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Maggie. I used an ABD pad with a slit in it... The nurses did it this way. I am surprised no one showed you how to pad the drain site. It makes a big difference.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Maggie, I have gone gluten free twice in my life and both times lost 20-30 lbs which is a lot for me. I've been gluten free for the past 9 months and I'm at a really great weight...I'm wearing the size I was in my 20s. I never would have imagined I would need that fat for anything.

I also watch processed foods and try to eat as much whole foods as possible including whole grains. For me it is not just about calories but also nutrition. I have other reasons for being gluten free ... It can cause inflammation and I have a history of autoimmune diseases (cancer being just one).

Motherandchild, I think any hospital has to accommodate food restrictions. However their idea of vegan and what you want to eat may be two different things.

Sharron, I've also found it difficult to get in touch with Liz. When I do talk with her she apologizes for not getting in touch sooner. I know on Monday their phones and computers went down. That can't have helped.

Marsha

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Millerj- Take your meds; add Miralax with your stool softener; drink water; rest; walk

Let others take care of you for a while. Post with any questions or if you need support. Sending healing vibes your way.

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2013

Marshal 1970 - I tried to schedule my DIEP 2 SX at Nola, but was told that since I did not have the initial SX at NOLA, they were scheduling into 2014 but they would try to do the best they could. It makes sense that they take care of their own first.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Heavenschild, thanks. Good to know. I guess they have a lot of demand.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

I have used an abd with split all along but under this compression it irrittates the opening anyway. The added washcloths really help me to turn the tube a bit to the front and then up an out of the girdle

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Sharon...I had similiar experience with Liz. She alwayse returned my emails fast. When I called it seemed she was on the phone. She was alwayse professional and took care of everything so don't worry you will hear from them. I know we want to know "now" to ease our minds. Hugs!!!

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Always..now alwayse!!!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Drain was down to 15 cc overnight! Maybe this will b gone by end of this week...fingers crossed

Mags

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

That's great Mags!!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

50 for the day!

Just joined my fitness pal...same username

Maggie

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Glad you are making some progress with the washcloths, Maggie!  I hope you make better progress than me on MyFitnessPal... I'm LA_Star there and need to get it in gear.  

My question is: do I want to work on losing belly fat if I'm having a DIEP at some point?  

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Leigh Ann... There is no way to target your belly... I would just forge ahead and they will find the fat.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2013

Thank you to everyone for your posts and private messages. I am going into Monday hopeful. I'll keep you posted.

Sharon

• lastar
    edited April 2013

Good advice, Betsy!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2013

Woohoo! Had my successful Stage 2 on Friday. Had fat grafting to fill indentation at top of unilateral flap, lipo to reduce size of flap, rotational repositioning of part of flap, & scar revision at top of flap which had previous radiated skin damage. Dog ears were removed. Best of all, natural breast was lifted! Oh, yeah! Surgery took about 2-1/2 hours. It was day surgery & I spent the night at my daughter's house, came home Saturday, & went out to eat with friends Saturday night. Left hospital with a surgical bra. Hydrocodone keeps the soreness at bay & I am a happy gal! Post-op checkup will be in 2 weeks. Stage 2b will be nipple & abdominal scar revision.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Yeah Sharon! Happiness abounds for you

I am sad today..the drain was up overnight to25...nooooo....what is the balance between bed rest and light activity....I thought walking was good

Mags

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Maggie - I know you are anxious to have the drain out, but . . . Perhaps it it a good thing that it is up as a warning so it doesn't come out too soon.  Maybe alternate bed rest with sitting up on sofa and taking walks 1 mile walks at a gentle pace. I worry that if you are very inactive now and then pick up activity once the drain is out you could end up with a fluid build up with no way to escape thus causing other problems.  Patience.  It is down and even 25 is good.  Keep doing what you are doing.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Maggie.. I totally agree with Marty. I know it seems like a pain, but in the end you'll be glad you have the drains. Even after having drains for 8.5 weeks post GAP flap, I have continued to be cautious with subsequent surgeries/drains to make sure I am well below 20cc for at least 2 days in a row. At one point after this last surgery, my drain was at 15cc one day and 21cc the next. I kept it in, and it took a few more days to get it below 20cc for two full days. You need rest, but you also need to walk. As Marty said if you lay too low and then pull the drain and then resume activity, you could cause a problem for yourself.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

I know it is just because I over did it this last weekend.  I was down to 60-70 cc everyday for several days and it would probably be lower now had I slowed down.  I am just one of those people who hates sitting around with little activity and push myself....I know that I must be patient

Maggie

• lastar
    edited April 2013

Maggie, I had drains for 8.5 weeks and still had to have 4 needle aspirations after pulling the drains.  Don't rush it!  Let them do thier job and avoid getting waterbed butt and sessions with a big needle!  Surprised

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Maggie- I remember being so focused on my last drain. It was depressing. I think it was Betsy who gently reminded me to have patience. That was hard, but I tried hard to just move on and try to forget about it. Two weeks later it was out. It's coming girl. Hang in there. We will all do a FREEDOM dance when you get that #€£* thing out.🌴🌴🌴🌴

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

and cue the fever...not a high grade.  shot to 100.8 and now is down to 99.8...no meds just a cool wash cloth and rest.  no visible sign of infection anywhere including the drain site.  Will call Dr M if it goes up past the 101.5 mark   last two surgeries I had a random fever about the same timeframe..lasted 24 hours about.  gonna turn in early tonight :(

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Aw Maggie... rest up.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Cheers to the ladies of the week!  GMP300, PerryDawnB & Russell - enjoy all the wonderful medicine NOLA has to offer.  Downey and I will drink a (non-alchoholic) toast to y'all from Charleston.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2013

GMP, good luck with your Stage 2....

PerryDawn & Russell, good luck with your Stage 1 flaps.  Rest easy since you are in such great hands.

Marty and I will certainly have that toast and be thinking of you.  Hugs

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Thanks all of you! I couldn't be so brave without all of you:)

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

Thank you MartyJ!  Just arrived her in NOLA and surgery is right around the corner. Pretty anxious to get this whole thing started.  Thanks to everyone for all of information and advice you've posted.

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

Thank you also, Downey30.  Positive thoughts are definitely appreciated.