Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2013

Mags- I also never had any pain (except some mild pain when I started jogging again- probably a little too early).  I agree with bdavis, I would call Dr. M.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2013

I also had fluid back there after stage 1, but not enough to be aspirated, but I know women on here that have had this done. It's best for you that you called Dr. M and are getting an ultrasound. I hope it's just something simple and you will be pain free soon!!!!  I am with you though Frown my
    case(s) are never by the book and all my family and friends expect it now that something always goes awry with me.
    Hugs Mags, you have been through so much and hopefully this is just a tiny bump in the road! Hang in there!!

I NEVER thought and told myself after stage 2 that was it, but I am only 36 and I shouldn't have the pain I have back there and it should be pretty attractive back there after everything heals. Well, that isn't the case. You are able to see the "ropes" poking up on the skin and to the point Jeanine was able to get the camera close enough to take a picture of it, plus the scars are thick, wide, purple and ugly. She said they would cut all that out and pull everything up again Smile 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

you will be stunning from all angles when it is all done chelle

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2013

Awe that's SO sweet of you to say Maggie!!! Thank you!! I pray you are right Smile

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

Hello ladies...

It's soooo active here I can't keep up.  My to-do list is long and my surgery is in 2.5 weeks.  Hard to believe!  

Any ladies here have NOLA do a brachioplasty at the same time as your surgery?  I have dropped some weight and my arms look terrible... I'm considering during my Stage 2, asking Dr. D to cut off my batwings.

If you've done it... how's the recovery?

Take care my friends... Happy healing and prayers to all of you ladies in the trenches right now.... I'm not too far behind you!

jennifer

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2013

hi all....i have developed a very bad infection on my incision 7 weeks post stage 2 on my hip incision....i was finally able to see someone yesterday....he gave me an antibiotic shot and placed me on a broad spectrum antibiotic....will look at me again tomorrow.....might have to be hospitalized if it is not better....and spreading.....i am getting a lil scared....has this happened to anyone?....:)

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Harmonysun, hopefully the antibiotic will do the trick. It's good you are dealing with it quickly.

Maggie, I needed several aspirations but it was never painful. I hope you can resolve this quickly.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

You would think that by 7 weeks all would be well with the incision. I am so sorry that this is happening to you. Had it never closed or did it come out of the blue? I'm interested as I am 8 weeks out and the incision around one nipple is slightly red. I had a breast lift during stage 2a.

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

thanks la star and cherrie....the drain had opened twice after healing so i guess fluid backing up there....then suddenly got red, and redder and seems like the incision is ready to break open...the doc circled the area to see if it spreads and now it seems like it has a little and i am really scared....dont want to end up in the hospital....and without dr m....and if they want to remove tissue or whatever.....

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Harmony... First off, better its the hip incision than the breast incision... And even if they need to hospitalize you, I can't imagine them cutting away tissue. I can see them doing IV antibiotics and sterile washes though, and perhaos a wound vac if the incision is open. Sounds like the area got dirty and something got inside the drain hole... Have you used an antibiotic ointment? <<<HUGS>>>

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Brenda- I know this is unsettling, but at least you are being watched. Try not to worry too much as you have no control ( I know, easier said than done.) As Betsy once said to me......this too shall pass. You are in good hands. Thinking of you. Let us know how it is going.

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

thanks betsy and cherrie....i really appreciate it....i think even if the infection goes down....looks like the incision is going to open at some point....i just have such an aversion to hospitals and not entirely trusting of people doing things to me....

....i am grateful i found a smart doc who is looking after me, i have had a very hard time around here getting docs involved with this....my helper doc was my breast surgeon and he is in surgery all day this week.....thanks again for the support.....ps. kinda freaked about going in the hospital and people coming in to take care of my kids and pets with my house being a mess...:))....been so busy working and on a browine sleepover  etc etc....

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Thanks for everyone's support, kind words and PM's.  NOLA is working with me on the financials and I have a reasonable payment plan. The great news... I'm getting  this bilateral cancer out on April 24th! I've been told I will go home on May 2nd. And I'm looking forward to making it to my daughter's graduation May 23rd.  Next step... praying that margins are clean, etc... and that I won't need chemo.  While this wasn't my cheapest option I think for me it is the right one. Time will tell, I guess.  I just have to make sure that I'm all back together before December 31 at the strike of midnight! Hugs to you all and thanks for your amazing help. 

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Yay! Slanders that is great news. cancer out in less than two weeks. And you will not be sorry Nola is the one to put you back.

So sorry harmony, that would freak me out too. I am glad you found someone to help you who you trust. Like Betsy I am glad it is not your breast as that would be harder to fix up. If it has to be opened at some point, Nola can make a hip incision fixed up pretty well. Broad spectrum strong antibiotics should show some result quickly. Keep in touch with Nola daily. I have sent more photos and videos over my phone than I ever imagined, all of some naked body part, not nearly as sexy as it sounds, but very helpful for the Nola docs.

Congrats on drain free living. And those still hanging on, they will all be a distant memory almost immediately after they are gone!

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

thanks kbodie...thank you so much for the positive thoughts......yes, you and betsy are right, thanks for giving me that perspective about glad it's not the breast....i do usually try and find what good i can in a situation, so thank you for that....i didnt go to nola, i went to fairway....dr m is in charleston and wont be back here in chicago til early may....i have no money left at all to travel with so nice she is set up here in chicago now......she really fixed my behind up nice after stage 2 so thought we were done with that....arghhh!!!....will just be thankful at this point if this infxn doesnt spread and what to do with the wound when this opens, cuz it's def getting closer to that, the scar is opening, and can feel the skin there getting thinner and thinner....wouldprobly be good to let that yucky stuff out.....

that is really funny about sending the naked parts on the phone and not being as sexy as it sounds!...thanks for that laugh......:)

so girls still with the drains....this is why not the big hurry to get them out....dont want to end up on the path i'm on....drains are our friends...(although oh yeah, the day they are out is like being born again......:))

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Harmony....hang in there....my belly opened a little bit after the diep.  I went to Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments to help it heal faster.  Dr M is my doc too...love her so.  A good wound doc can take care of the issue too. 

No US today...I live in a hick town I suppose and no one could fit me in anywhere within 50 miles so maybe tomorrow...there is only one place that even called me back at the end of the day and said to call in the morning to see if it's possible.  I do not have "waterbed" butt and there is no visible sign of any fluid.  Last 2 days got over 70cc out of the drain.  Cried for a good hour and my courage feels renewed tonight.  Looking forward to a quiet weekend of almost nothingness.  Love you all!!

Maggie

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

thanks maggie....i have followed your journey and in fact talked to dr massey the night before sending good wishes for you...(not that the docs would mention someone, but we know what is going on with us!)....and i admire you for your positive attitude for all youve been through....that is a lot to recover from....are the breasts doing good?....where is your behind sore at?....i see you are about 5 weeks out, so i dont think that is a lot to put out, hip drains do put out more and longer.....i had mine for 8 1/2 weeks....yikes....and then still ended up getting waterbed butt....had a hard time getting any of several hospitals to do an ultrasound aspiration (they were asking, have you had other tests, how do you know there is fluid)...uh, well...when one place finally agreed to do it, they got 400 ml from one side!...oh, you were right they said....ha....i do have to say, like the gals here told me....the aspiration was really easy and so not a big deal....they can see exactly where they are poking with the ultrasound and if there is fluid....and the numbness on the butt makes it easier too....so i hope you get that resolved soon, but sounds like you have been really busy....think you need to give yourself some time to rest....catch up on some tv series or whatever interests you....:))

....thinking of russell and marty today....you gals will do great....and sending good vibes to both you wonderful women.....:))

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Klander,

So glad you were persistent and got financials worked out in your favor. What a relief it will be to you and your family that on April 24th you will be cancer free!

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Congrats Klander- April 24 is just around the corner! I had my stage 1 on April 25 last year - this year seems to have zoomed past!

Very glad you have your date and such kind parents!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Russel1---today the canvas begins!

MartyJ--bring on perfection!

Possible US today...waiting for hospital to call back...man do I live in a redneck town...they are asking me how to spell seroma---lets hope they know how to guide a needle

Maggie

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Thinking of your girls on the table today, have a great rest And be well! Sending prayers your way.

Mags thinking of you too, hope they fix you up and you are back to yourself soon.

Love to all of you, have a great weekend 😘

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2013

Mags, having lived there over 40 years I will agree with you hick town for sure.

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Portugu

Preferences

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

Judy, I added your Stage 2 date on June 17. Congrats! 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Good morning! I am coming back to life. Coffee is a good thing. I have 4 drains. Lots of nausea and vomiting last night. So much better now. Love dilaudid. Mtalk later when I am more coherent.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Welcome back Marty! Glad they got your nausea under control!

Russell, hope they have your meds under control as well!

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

hope youre doing good marty and russell!...

.....so regarding the infxn on my incision line....well, i got up yestereday and when i got undressed in the bathroom, had on spanx...blood spurted everywhere...yikes...(kinda lot to deal with before coffee..lol)....the incision had opened up....so the infection seems to be under control, but now have about a dime sized hole in my incision line (7 weeks post stage two sgap)......it was koolaid colored blood, no pus, so i guess that is good....saw my new local doc, he cultered it and covered it...seems out of his realm a bit....i will see for the first time a local breast plastic surgeon on tues, they dont do sgaps, but do dieps and so i guess would have an understanding of tissue transfer...

......so big question wise women.....at what point do these need a wound vac/oxygen therapy?....cant this just be resewed at some point?....i wonder if it will heal, but dont think completely as this area does want to drain periodically....

...i really really hope this doesnt turn into a big fiasco....i had already decided to postpone addl surgeries til fall because i lost all of last summer from sgap surgery....

been wanting to and needing to get back to working out, horseback riding,swimming with my kids,etc, so excited for summer, and now i dont know what this means.....sigh....

hope everyone is doing well today....everyday is a gift, open and enjoy....:))

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2013

Harmony: at this point a wound care doc might be your best option. They're used to dealing with wound healing issues after surgery, whatever the surgery. They usually coordinate care with your surgeon. You can find wound care clinics at most hospitals.

• harmonysun
    edited April 2013

thanks a lot jeskachi....i will look into that, i'm so unsure about all this because seems like this hip needs to drain periodically still, and will want to come out there again?...yikes...i wish i could see dr m....

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Yikes, harmony sun! That IS a lot to deal with before coffee! I have no wisdom, just good wishes that you can resolve this quickly. SGAP took my summer of 2012 too, but I will bet that we will both have fantastic summers thus year.

Welcome back, Marty! Coffee and dilaudid sounds like a great combo!

Sending good thoughts to all the post-OP ladies this morning!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Send her pix harmony. When my belly scar opened 4 wks postop she cooridinated with my local wound doc for tx even talking on the phone together so the could work out plan between them. I am sure it will all be ok. It takes longer for such a wound to heal from the inside out

Maggie