Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2013

Thinking of you Downey30, gmp300 and PerryDawnB!

ssla01...keep the faith!  Scheduling your surgery prior to a consult is routinely done due to travel.  You will have a thorough consult a few days prior to your surgery, as well as some testing done at St. Charles.  Its an all day affair, so they are definitely thorough before you go under.  Right now, it's just about getting a game plan in place.

Klanders...It shouldn't take long for you to get on the schedule.  As has been said, there is space left for active cancer patients.  I imagine you could be scheduled for surgery within 4-5 weeks tops.  That was my experience at least.

KBodie....glad you're doing better!  That's a pretty significant seroma.  I bet you feel worlds better!

Russell1...You are one motivated woman.  I know a little sore throat isn't going to stop you :)  I hope you feel better!

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2013

Hi Ladies

I am home and doing well. It was 3 weeks post on Monday. I still have two drains but they are not putting out much but Dr.M does not want to pull them out to early so she said Thursday.

Was wondering what kind of spanx some of you purchased?

Not sure if I mentioned before but I am a PT specialized in sports and lymphedema. I have been doing this lymphatic device on myself to get the drainage down and it has worked. It has the body use its natural pathway to get rid of the fluid rather than sitting in the drains. Very cool I think Dr. M may do a clinical trial with it..going to start Working on that once I am better.

Anyways I have been using it on my clients as well. I found great results with post-op mastectomy pain and swelling as well as pain and adhesions with those who lost their implant.

Mags I wish you lived close to me so we could use the device on ya.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

klanders... I hear you... But about lumpectomies, that was one surgery that was like nothing had happened... My SNB was much worse. So I do suggest that if you want to cancer out and can't have the MX til June, then have a lump... You would also then know where you stand with chemo. And that is something that can happen within days... So see what you can do with getting the NOLA docs covered, but in the meantime, ask for a date. I asked for a date well before insurance was sorted out. Although they did know my insurance was good. Plus I had already had my cancer removed.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Marcypt...wish I lived closer too...armand hand are doing better than last week...oddly enough since the fever. I am just not a by the book kind of patient much to my docotrs' chagrin

On a very happy note...I had my three month ck with my MO amd my ctc is 0000000!!!!!!! She said this is great given my tn status and this is more worth celebrating than the dang drain!

Maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Downey30, Geralyn, and PerryDawnB- Sweet dreams! You girls are going to do great. Can't wait to hear your updates.

Melanie- you will do great! Nothing to fear. You have great doctors and Fairway is wonderful. We are all cheering you on. Can't wait to hear from you on the "other" side.

Marty- We started this journey at the same place. I am thinking of you.Your DH will have you walking a mile by next week! Lol! I will be anxious to hear about scar revision and lowering. I am having that done next and am wondering about this procedure. When you feel up to it, please PM me and fill me in.

It amazes me everyday how strong, courageous, and positive we all are. BCO has been a lifesaver for so many of us. Thank you to all.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

I have a question about "andrographis", I am not feeling so great, like I might be starting to come down with something 😂 someone at work said to take some of these, they are natural, they are not on the list of cannot take, anybody have any information whether Nola's dr s mind?? Thanks for any input, I am up next Tuesday 😁

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

Woohoo...drain free!!

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

Marcie-call in and ask your doctor tomorrow

Judy-FREEDOM

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Yea Judy!

Marcy - yes call, never heard of it.  Alternatively - up your Vit. C to 1000.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

I got a call this morning from NOLA and I've got stage 2 scheduled for June 17. A lot soon than I thought it would be.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2013

Hi Everyone, had surgery yesterday and all went fine. I'll text more when I get home... Hopefully tonight. DH left my glasses in the car and I can't see these little letters. Oh, whoever said the toilet is not your friend after fat moved around is SO right.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Good to hear from  you Downey. I too can't see a thing without my glasses, think it is time to get something bigger like an ipad. Take Care.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

I was all excited because NOLA said they can do my bilateral mastectomy/hip flap on April 24th.  But I just found out what it will cost me. $24,000. Cry Not so excited now.  In fact, I'm in tears.  My mom is willing to help because she wants me to have the best, but I'm thinking seriously of going to Kline and Craigie since they are in-network.  Surely they must be good, too?  I've had no previous breast surgeries that they'd have to work around or correct.  Is it worth $24,000 for breasts that only my husband and I see????

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2013

Klanders

Don't give up. Call Vickie and tell her your situation. You can fill out a financial form and they will work with you. When I first started, I got an outrageous number too, but told her there was no way I could afford that. They don't want anyone to be denied due to finances. I filled out the form and mine all worked out in the end. I actually just spoke with her today about my next surgery.

I have a friend here who's husband had lost his job and she was a school teacher and they still made it work for her.

Just don't give up.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Thanks. I asked Vickie to send me the financial form and she is going to see what she can do for me.  It's hard to have cancer and then add this extra stress. 

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

klanders... Thinking of you.. Have faith!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

klanders...I was told $30000 and that is not anywhere near what I had to pay after filling out the financial form...they will work with you to give you your body back.

Maggie

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

downey...good to hear you are doing well...except for well you know.

dumb question for you gap flap ladies.  Is it normal that at 5 weeks out I can barely stand to sit on my hiney?  It hurts awful.  I swear I can feel that tube (like I am sitting on it-which I am) right through.  By day's end it is nearly unbearable and all I do it b***h from about 7pm until I take a sleeping pill and fall asleep only to start it back up the next day.  They is no redness or swelling so I have just assumed--no pun intended--that it was normal.  I will be sending pix to Dr M tomorrow and will ask her in an email...but I thought I would ask the other experts first

Maggie

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Yay Judy!!

Klanders... You will make it to Nola and it will work. Exact same story with me. I cried knowing I couldn't afford 38,000. Sent the financial form and I'm on my way! Still can't afford it but am doing it anyway! Lol

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Oh and fluid output is still above 50cc a day...today is already over 60 as I had to actually DO something today  :(

Madder than a hatter Mags

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Talked with Jamie (Downey) today.  She sounded so perky.  She was awaiting discharge, but Dr. M has been so busy making up for last week's cancellations she didn't think she would be discharged til late afternoon.

Maggie - I sure hope Dr. M has some solution to your posterior problem soon.  

Russell - Enjoy NOLA as much as you are able.  Walks after surgery are great.  If you are staying at Homewood (I think you said you are), then stroll to the end of the block for a late breakfast at Mothers.  There are plenty of places to stop and rest on the way.  Sleep well on Friday.  Can't wait to hear from you from the other side of your journey.

To all - have a good day and weekend.  You probably won't hear from me before surgery tomorrow as I am aiming for a day of calm, liberally salted with house cleaning.  Had it all ready last week before the cancellation.  Where is that dust rag?

Cherrio!

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Mags... I never had any pain, not even right after surgery. I would call and talk to Dr M.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

Klanders, fill out the form and find out how much NOLA would really be. Many many women say they work with you on the cost. also, can you see some photos from Kline and Craigie work? Do they post on their website? To me, then you'd have all the data and it will be easier to make a decision about how much it's worth to you. 

For me, I wanted to be back to "me" and give a big F> U> to friggin cancer. :)  We're all different, and it's always a journey. You'll find your way!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Oh ladies, speedy calm healing and hopes for lower costs. It really is worth it.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

I thought that was the case thx betsy....I remember the doc telling me that this would be easier on me...hmmmm..NOT! I emailed her ...not emergency so did not wanna call...I have put up with it this long.

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

Maggie sorry to here you are having problems. Hope this resolves soon.

There are so many girls going in, just coming out, etc. I am having a hard time keeping up. We are all here for one another, no matter where we are in this journey. When you are in surgery there are many girls there with you in thought. I know I felt that when I go in.

(((Hugs))) to all and keep those healing vibes going.

Klanders- hang in there! They WILL work with you.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Dr M wamts me to get an untrasound...will let you know whats up

Maggie

• chellehump
    edited April 2013

Well after talking to Vickie yesterday, it looks like my portion for stage 2b is set. She said she would send an e-mail to Jeanine and let her know that I am done with the financial side and I can schedule whenever I am ready...YIKES. But, I flew to NOLA for the wedding and drove home with my husband and son and that drive pretty much sealed the deal that I am doing this. The backside of my hips/butt area hurt so bad especially when I was behind the wheel and couldn't adjust very much...OUCH!!! I am petrified to talk to my work about this since I was out so much last year with the other two surgeries, which is making the choice of a date difficult. If my work is ok with it, then I am thinking November 8th. If not, I will schedule December 20th, which I really don't want to do. But, this will allow me to use my vacation time plus holiday time and if I need any additional days, my vacation days start over January 1st. I am going to wait a few weeks before I feel them out on this, but I would like to go ahead and get on the books. I was hoping for October but my FMLA leave doesn't renew until October 23rd.

Anyway, Yes I missed meeting up with GMP300 (Geralyn). We did get to text and we left each other a voice mail. Hope she is healing well. She mentioned I was having fun with the wedding, but it was to the point that every hour I was there (other than to sleep) was planned for me. This is the friend who I stayed with when I had my surgeries last year and hope to again for this one (we have been friends for 20 years), but she would be the last person I thought would turn into bridezilla...It was the most stressful time I have had in a very long time. I love her to death and I always will, but she did and said some things that REALLY hurt.

I wish there was a way to post a pic or two on here from the wedding to show off my red strapless dress I wore. My "girls" held up well :)

Wishing all the recovering ladies and those up tomorrow all the best!!!!

• chellehump
    edited April 2013

Praying for you Mags!!!!! I had pain in my backside, but my case seems to be out of the norm.

Hugs to you!!!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

yeah chelle....I am glad you are all set....Dr M says this is not normal.  why am I not surprised that I am not doing it by the book.  Says it may be fluid collecting where it shouldn't.  Crap that would mean aspiration.  Waiting to hear from Becky

Maggie