Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2013

Good luck PerryDawnB!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Good luck Jamie, gmp300, Perry, and Melanie... And Marty is this your reschedule date?? Friday? I can't keep up.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Good luck to all you girls going in this week, I know how excited/anxious you are to move on, will keep you all in my prayers.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Yes, Betsy, I am now on for this Friday.  So thankful that Dr. M and her wonderful staff could squeeze me back in quickly.  I will have 5 weeks to shed drains and pull myself together for a big woohoo event with my DH in California.  But watching you all bounce back, I should have no problemLaughing.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Fever broke before it reached the magic number. Dr M said 102 go to er and it never got higher than 101.5...just weak today.

For the ladies up this week hoping all goes well

Maggie

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2013

Good luck to all you ladies that are up tomorrow - gmp300, Downey and PerryDawn!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the well wishes.  Arrived in Charleston a little while ago and the weather is great.  Not much to do until time for dinner with Marty.  I'm always game to shop but don't think hubby was very interested.  I think he is gearing up for the big basketball game tonight.  Thinking of my comrads in surgery...gmp, PerryDawn, and Marty on Friday.  Speeding healing to all.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Thinking about you all this week, gmp, Downey, PerryDawn, Marty, and Russell! 

• Marcie47
    edited April 2013

I had an issue already come up in regard to my consult where I am already having to chase my tail to get them paid for the consult, PLEASE tell me that isn't how it is going to be for the next year!!! I have blue cross and I have been on hold with my insurance company for 1 hr!! I go in for surgery next Tuesday and I can't bear to think I will have to endure this for the next years😂

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

I too have blue cross and I have not had problems with payments. It may be different in each state too. Try not to stress to much....the center and hospital are amazing at working their magic

Feeling good now...went out for a pizza...what was that about losing weight? Teehee!

Maggie

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Ugh! I have this weird nauseated feeling and tickle in my throat. Hoping I wake up tomorrow and it will be gone. No fever.

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

I'm leaving for Nola on Wednesday no matter what! :)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Oh my goodness there are so many in NOLA and Charleston girls this week. We are all thinking of you. Remember, rest, drink, walk!!!!! We are all here for you. Sending healing ((((vibes)))) your way.

Melanie, praying you are feeling good.

Marty,you are going to look and feel great in California. I know you!! I am 6 weeks out and going to the beach tomorrow. SPF 50 on my scars.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Cherrie, I am up this Friday the 12th in Charleston, but different docs so not on the roster, so even more ladies up than you imagined! Hoping there is no crazy weather or anything and we all do well!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Good luck ladies of the week!

Seroma update....after 2 failed attempts last Tuesday with a general surgeon....followed by an ultrasound and a radiologist who refused to try....and a follow up ultrasound on Thursday with another round of reluctance...and several calls and emails to Laura (bless her)....and then being told by reluctant radiologist it would have to be ordered and scheduled as a procedure and needs two techs and couldnt be done until today....then going for said procedure with three more failures and a vial with my blood left behind....and getting frustrated and vocalizing that frustration...got afternoon appointment with original general surgeon....radiologist told him it couldnt be done so they had several not-good options and I told him Laura's suggestions and asked if he would call her...they talked and he came in and said well we are trying this again. And in 30 seconds he had filled an entire syringe. Tried to switch to another but suction had been broken. But he got 60 cc!!!! And I am compressed to the gills and feeling much lighter. Abdomen feels so much tighter and flatter. I was so relieved. I knew it was just technique. Laura walked him through what she would do and she said he didn't want to but he followed her instructions and bam!!! It was as simple as that. Let's hope for no reruns. Keep fighting for your care ladies. No one does it like NOLA but sometimes we have to utilize other providers. So long seroma!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Yay Catie. On my list of prayers. Wow KBodie, you have been through a lot. Rest well and compress and de-stress.😄

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Kbodie...so glad for you!!

Catie..thinking of you! Good luck to all of us:)

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2013

..... i have a hard red area (size of a handprint).....on and below my rear incision 7 weeks after stage 2 sgap, everything seemed fine..., think it started bout a week or two ago....dr m. put me on antibiotics last night, but i am getting really worried......anyone have anything like this??....wonder if antibiotics strong enough?....

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2013

Hi ladies. My better attitude Monday didn't last :(. Vickie did call me back. I just cannot wrap my head around them wanting to schedule surgery when I haven't talked to a medical person or sent my scans yet. I really want this to work, but I'm about to give up on NOLA. I sent Liz an email. Hopefully tomorrow is Helpful Tuesday. Sigh...

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Ssla...I know it was hard for me in the beginning of the process also..Hang in there:)

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

I'm getting a little nervous. I was diagnosed end of January with bilateral breast cancer. It's been hard to get on the calendar at University of Michigan. I finally had the sentinel node biopsies 3/29/13. All 5 negative! But I'm having a horrible time with fluid retention on the left - very painful. I'm scheduled for implants or extenders on April 26 in a BMX at U-M. I don't want implants but I have to get this cancer out. I spoke with Dr Massey and she has given me several options including 1) fly to Charleston for the mastectomy w/ expander a then in June the body flap procedure. Downside is an extra surgery and recovery time plus a really expensive trip with hotels and airfare. 2) start chemo (which I don't even know that I need) and postpone having surgery. 3) take my chances and wait until June for surgery in NOLA with her. I've come up with a 4th option of not waiting for her and to just go straight to NOLA. All my docs were sent to Liz today. I'm trying to get an out of network exception made with BCBS Anthem of Indiana and that might take some time. It looks like ssla is having some problems getting a response. Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes from first contact to stage 1 surgery? I would sure hate to have to do implants or expanders! And I really want to make it to my daughter's high school graduation on May 23rd - any chance?

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited April 2013

Thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes!  Also good luck and healing prayers to all upcoming comarads!  (I like that Downy!)

I tried to meet up with Chelle but she was having to much fun at her wedding in NOLA!  We did some texting but we both were busy but it was still nice texting a bit!

I have been here in NOLA since Wednesday with DD and DH and had a nice week.  The weather has been on the cool side but its been better than Michigans weather so its still nice!  Surgery tomorrow and I m finishing up work and going to shower and get some rest.  

I am so special that Dr. D told me I have the worst chest walls he has ever seen!  And that's alot of them!  Is'nt that special!  I am just glad I have him for my doctor to try to get me back to some normal symetry.  One of these days I'll have to post some pictures, it is to hard to explain..

Thanks again and prayers to all the upcoming!! ((HUGS))  Geralyn

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

Klanders, they do put cancer patients in first by holding days open on the schedule. If you had surgery by the first week of may, you could easily do graduation. Even a little later you could do, you just wouldn't feel as strong. I sure hope it works out for you. Skipping the expander step would be great.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Klanders, I got a surgery date offered within 4 days of submitting my paperwork. You will need to work with the financing department first. Fill out the financial form ASAP. I'm going in May but they offered something sooner because I have active cancer, I just wasn't ready that soon. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Marsha

• Marcie47
    edited April 2013

Omg ladies, be well and know that you are all in good hands and in all of our prayers :))

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

To all the women who have stayed at Hope Lodge in New Orleans (or anywhere) - yesterday morning we lost an incredible woman.  Margot Strauss Freudenberg, founder of Hope Lodge died at 105.  The Lodge in Charleston was the first and there are now 31.  She was an amazing woman.  I have included a link to her obituary.  If you have benefitted from Hope Lodge, I hope you will consider a donation in her memory.  She readily shared her gifts with her beloved country and we have benefitted greatly.  May her memory be a blessing.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/charleston/obituary.aspx?n=margot-freudenberg&pid=164134897&fhid=6051#fbLoggedOut

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

klanders.. I believe that Tuesday is active cancer day in NOLA. They hold that day open in general for anyone with cancer. So I think if you can get your paperwork in order, you could have surgery within a couple of weeks. And the good thing is, all of the doctors are great... So whoever is available would work out for you. If it were me, that is what I would try to do... In the meantime, since you don't know if you need chemo, have you spoken with an oncologist? With clean nodes, I would assume you do not and will not know til post surgery. That is when you'll know how much cancer there is and whether they can get clean margins, with no vascular involvement. Another option would be to have a lumpectomy now to remove the cancer and then MX later when you have worked out the details. Is your tumor singular?

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Hi BDavis, thanks for that info. They found a tumor in each breast. I found the left smaller one in December the day before my hysterectomy (too bad I kept my ovaries since I'm ER+) and then two weeks later had left shoulder surgery. (We have a $6,000 deductible so we were going to be done with medical and be healthy this year - ha!) I had limited range of motion and couldn't lift my arm for mammogram until mid January. I have dense breast tissue so they didn't find the 2nd tumor until the MRI and that tumor is much larger in the right breast. They think it's been there 5-7 years. I've had a lot of good news in this process. I went to MD Anderson for a 2nd opinion. Their lab found out that my local hospital misdiagnosed me. Local hospital told me I was HER2 positive when in fact I am HER2 negative. I am negative on genetics and negative lymph nodes after sentinel node biopsy. I don't want any more surgery than necessary - I'm having a lousy time after SNB with a huge lymph fluid above my left incision which I'm not quite sure what to do with. It's not infected but it does hurt. Biggest thing is I need to stop losing weight so they have something to work with. I was 133 when diagnosed which normally is high for me. Since cutting out sugar and carbs (my two favorite food groups!) I'm down to 125. I've had more fruits and veggies in the past few months then I've had in my lifetime. My dear husband has been making me tons of green smoothies!

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

klanders - the surgeons in NOLA and Dr M are some of the best with lymph node problems, as well.  Tell them up front about the problem so that they can get you the appropriate therapy ASAP.

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013

Klanders - sorry you are having to go thru all of that. You mentioned you haven't had your ovaries removed but But now wish you had. This is something you should talk to Dr. Stollier about. He is the surgical oncologist at the center in Nola and does the majority of their mastectomies (and he is a very nice man). Dr. Stollier can remove your ovaries at the same time he removes your breast tissue. I had a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy with stage 1 reconstruction three months ago because I was high-risk due to my younger sister having had breast cancer. When I had a consult with Dr. Stollier he suggested I go ahead and have the BRCA testing because, if I was positive (thankfully I wasn't), he could remove my ovaries during my stage 1. Just a thought. Best of luck to you!