Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Yes... made me giggle too... as did "nipple-soaring" I knew what you were trying to say, but I like the nipple soaring and DH sin at church...

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Also.. 4my4babies... I love your enthusiasm... And it does sound weird to be disappointed you can only stay in the hosiptal one night, but I felt the same way. I think you have to be there to understand what that means. It is a spa-like cocoon, great food and very comfortable. Why would anyone want just one noght after surgery when you have that care.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

Mags...I so feel for you!! So glad this is fixable. Positive thoughts for you always:)

I pulled up my garment and centered everything and all is well:) thanks Ladies!! I say we put our minds together and design a new garment that has slots for the ab pads and holes for the drains..that way we could pull it down to pee:) we would all be rich and be able to afford these surgeries! Lol We would get to meet each other!

This morning a funny thing happened! I woke up, went to get my coffee feeling pretty good. My 13 year son came in the kitchen and just then I got up to make some oatmeal when he shouts" MOM IS THAT YOUR BUTT CRACK?" I was laughing telling him I was sorry but forgot to put something over the garment! He was so grossed out and said "Mom what if you fart"? It was pretty funny and imbarrasing at the same time. I tried to explain what was going on with the garment and drains and such and he put his hands over his eyes , held his hand up to me and said" I'm trying to eat breakfast and I don't want to know about that!"" We both laughed! I have been very upfront with letting my kids know what they did in surgery.

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013

Lol clearly the lortab has fattened up my fingers and hindered my editing ability! Sinning and soaring....no better place for either of those vices than in New Orleans!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2013

Russell1 - OMG! I actually laughed out loud.  I can just see my 14 y/o son doing the same thing while I try to give him the long explanation. I try to be pretty open with my kids too (11 y/o dtr and 8 y/o son).  I tell them what I think they can handle and as soon as I see their eyes glaze over I stop, or try to.

4my4 - I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well.  Gives me confidence and takes away some of my anxieties.

Motherandchild5 - thank you for offering to talk to me.  I may take you up on that, I have lots of silly questions you may be able to help me with.  

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Russell..way funny...gotta find the humor anywhere you can

Just got home from er...had a huge seroma drained off...350 cc's....youch.  It was red and inflamed.  Already feels better.  Hope it does not come back.  Compressed in 3 layers right now with washclothes everywhere too. 

Barbmal....no question is a silly question and we are all here to help anytime...nothing is off limits.  Wishing you the best

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Maggie. It is likely you will need it drained again. I am confused though cause I thought the doctor looked for a seroma and couldn't find one.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

last week before the drain was pulled there was not one.  the drain has been out since Thurs Eve and I already got one.  Next time I am going right away and having it done..I have been in pain since Friday night....this guy was so awesome he did it by feel and did not miss even once.  nothing but fluid

Maggie

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Russell1  -- Thanks for the good laugh.  I needed that.

OK, I can't remember which thread I read something about urinals, but it had me thinking.  I remember having a female urinal I got from the drugstore when I was laid up in bed after rupturing disks in my back.  When I finally went to the hospital I was frustrated when the hospital only had male urinals, and they made me use a bedpan which was painful to get up on, messy and basically humiliating.

So my question is this: 1) Can you get out of bed right after the surgery and use the bathroom?  2) If not, does the hospital provide a female urinal?  I mean -- the patients are all women so I would assume they might have thought of this.

I think I will get one that I can use to pee standing up -- but there is a different kind for laying down and there is only so much room in my suitcase.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

I had a catheter in and they didn't take it out till the next day and the next day they usually have you up and I made it fine getting up and going to the bathroom. Believe me its slow moving at first so you don't want to wait till the last minute to get up and go. They did have some sort of measuring device on the toilet that they measured how much urine you are putting out, but it wasn't hard to pee in.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Russell - do you mean these things I am wearing aren't some kind of lacy bicycle shorts?  Oooooh, your poor son.  TMI.

Marsha - once that catheter comes out you will walk to the bathroom.  Although as Judy said the going is slow, the whole act of getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom helps get you moving and keeps you moving. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Russell, that is a hilarious story! He might tease you about it one day if he hasn't already blocked it out!

Marsha, they will not take the catheter out until you are able to walk to the bathroom, which will probably be within 24 hours of waking up from surgery.

Maggie, prepare yourself for more seromas since that one formed so quickly. I'm glad you have a talented person to taker care of it. It's a bother, but drains might be worse! My local BS drained my seromas and kept offering to replace the drain, but I preferred the big needle (and I am a legendary wimp about needles).

Betsy, I am planning a fantastic summer before I start this surgery nonsense again! I spent the summer of 2012 recovering, but I'm going to enjoy this one! Can't wait!!

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

There is a female urinal you can buy from Amazon, type in Go Girl female urinal. Made for camping, etc. Is basically soft rubbery plastic that looks sort of like a funnel. You hold it in place at the front and back (instructions are included) and you just 'go'. I found it best to practice in the shower and at the hospital I asked the nurse to turn on the water to give me some mental incentive to release the urine while standing up. Once you have mastered peeing while standing it works fine. You just rinse it out and let it dry for next time. The nurse put a paper towel on the counter in the bathroom and I rinsed it when I washed my hands and let it dry for next time. Mine came with two, so I kept one in my purse for the drive home and the ability to not have to worry about the toilet seats on the trip home and one I keep in the restroom.

I truly was and am very happy with it. Although after a while, the garment with the split in the crotch is easy to work with and around. It's all doable!

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the honesty la star....sadly we are leaving for a trip on thursday to the mountains of NC and TN. My BS no longer lives in the area and the doc at hospital said most surgeons will not touch it is it is "someone else's mess" I certainly cannot just drive to Dr M to have it done frequently...sigh I could just go back to er and have it drained again if necessary...I am stuck with a 10% co pay for all er visits...sigh again. It feels better today. I have not taken off the compression yet to "ass"ess the situation...I am trussed up pretty good.

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Maggie. Radiologists work for all doctors. So if Dr M called in a script to a radiologists office they would aspirate. A surgeon or ER doctor doesn't have to be the only one. And a radiologist can use ultrasound for more accurate drainage.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

It took three days to get in for the us last week when there was no seroma. Thinking it may have to be done again before we leave thurs for vaca.... such terrible timing!

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Mags if you put the drain back in, how long does it have to stay? Maybe that is a good idea to go have it redrained so you can enjoy your vacation more without worrying about another seroma. It is just a big pain in A##!!!

About peeing....lol I didn't have any trouble sitting down to pee. I just had to learn how to adjust the garment right so I didn't get urine on it. I found that I over-packed for the Stage 1. I mostly just wore the garment with a big t-shirt or button down shirt. I had a set of 2 garments and bras. Just a little help to those of you that are worrying about packing. Keep it basic:) Staying at the Homewood Suites was perfect!

We did a load of laundry. Their included breakfasts and dinners were great! I would stay there again for sure!

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Oh and their bedding was so wonderful! Even my hubby commented on that! When we got back home to our bed, he said to go out and get what they had. Ok honey. I need about 1,000 dollars to do it up:)

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Mags Sorry to hear you are still having problems, I am so happy to know that you have a good support system, I think Russell's idea about getting a drain put back may help you enjoy your vacation a little more, I know you need one!!

I had my post op today and all is well, I head home tomorrow and will be happy to be in my own bed:)

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Marcie..so glad your post op was good! Safe travels home!!!

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

Mags even though you may need to get it aspirated again at some point ( I was going weekly and was afraid tools going because I thought it would get even bigger) you can most likely skip a week or two or three and just go again when you get back from your trip. My intention was to go back after not going for several weeks but then Dr K said it would be ok too to just wait for my stage 2. So I waited. He took them out and is fine. I would suggest when you get a chance on your trip to lay flat as much as you can - to relieve any pressure or discomfort you may have. Did they culture or need to culture the fluid because you had a fever ? I did not have the fever associated with my seromas. Good luck'

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Maggie... I don't think putting a drain back in is as easy as you might think... All the drains I had were maybe 8-12 inches inside of me... So just be careful.

Melanie... I actuall said the same thing about the bed, and I called them and asked what it was. They sell their beds to the general public. But it was going to take 10 weeks, so I just went out and bought something (same brand) that I could get delivered within a week through 1-800-mattres.

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

Maggie - you could add a side trip to Charleston to see Dr. M this week. I was to see her this morning, but we decided that the drains need to stay in a few more days. Maybe Thursday or Friday. Just be sure to let her know of your concerns.

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

She is supposed to call me today MartyJ.  And trust me I do not want to have to have a drain put back in if we can at all avoid it.  It is a surgical procedure that she most likely would have to do herself as no one around here would know what to do.  The PA that did the aspiration last night told me that usually docs will not touch another doc's "mess".  But he did do the aspiration no problem and I did not feel the needle at all!  They did send the fluid off to check it just in case of infection but they did not think that was the case at all. 

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Maggie... I don't like that the doctor referred to it as "mess."  The implication is very negative.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

I second what Betsy said!!!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2013

Russell -- 

Re: leaking onto garment. I bought a funnel that is especially made for women -- usually found on camping sites! I will look up the name tonight. It is small and slender, so fits inside the opening. Snug it to your ... ahem ... and pee away. It has a detachable tube leading out of it so the urine is directed where it should do. Was the bees knees for Stage 1!! I'll get back to you if you'd like the info. Meant a whole lot less laundry for me!

Maggie

• mags20487
    edited April 2013

He was actually referring to a physician that was on duty...he was a PA.  He himself was willing to do it no problem and as I said was amazing...but yeah...imagine that...doctors that will not help a patient just because they are ignorant about what has been done.   You would think they would at least look it up and educate themselves before just saying no to a patient in pain and looking for medical professional help...jerks

Maggie

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

One flight down - one to go. Pre-op tomorrow and surgery with Dr S at 7am Wednesday. No backing out now! Thanks for all your tips and encouragement.

• MartyJ
    edited April 2013

Kristen - you will do well and before you know it will be on the other side of this.