Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lindylek
    lindylek Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013

thanks bdavis

yes thats what they said about the skin being to thin. I am very glad I didnt go all the way home with it not fixed. I just never knew it was a problem. I kind of thought -like a burn blister, it just heals. Ignorant I know. As for the financials, alot was my fault for not asking the right questions & assuming. Live & learn I always say :-)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Melanie - ask your doc for some zofran for nausea.  It really helps offset the effects of the antibiotics and pain meds.  I didn't take it for Stage 1 for some strange reason as I had the scrip.  I have been taking it regularly and it is helping a lot.  

Also, all hail to the prunes.  Three of them did the trick.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

The short list! Hope all is well Marcy and Addidas! 

Apr 16 - Marcy47 - Stage 1 hip flaps, Dr. D., NOLA.

Apr 16 - addidas1120 - Stage 1 SGAP, Dr. S., NOLA.

Apr 18 - Louisianagirl40 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Apr 19 - 4My4Babies - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Oh my goodness. I was gone for three day from BCO and I had four pages to catch up on here.

Betsy- So sorry to hear you are dealing with cellulitis and had to be hospitalized. Please take care of yourself and practice what you always tell us.

Maggie- sounds like your drain will be out soon. Finally! Freedom.

PerryDawnB-I loved your comment about sitting on your own chest. That gave me a chuckle. I too am a side sleeperandwouldget so achy on my back. Did you get a Flexeril script. That helped. I finally started getting used to it.

Melanie- yay for taking walks and getting in the shower. Those are all big deals. I loved the care at Fairway, but forgot about the food. It was mediocre. My husband brought food in a couple of times. It must feel wonderful to have boobs again and to get those drains out.

Klanders- hope you got your pre-ops done. My doc wanted results 1 weeks before surgery. I know how bad you want this sx and to get the cancer out. The unknown is scary, but that is why we are hear. Start taking probiotics, with doc approval, to help stomach prepare for all of those antibiotics. Also, load up on extra protein for healing and start taking Miralax 3 days before surgery. Pains meds cause constipations and that became a serious problem for me. Be hydrated for surgery. You will do great.Make your lists and do one thing at a time.

Marty- Take care of yourself and don't push it too hard in the beginning. Your body has been through so much. Enjoy that shower and your drains will be out before you know it.

• Louisianagirl40
    Louisianagirl40 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2013

Hi ladies! I absolutely love keeping up with y'all even though I don't comment much. I have my pre op with Dr D tomorrow at 3:30 and surgery at 7:30 Thursday. I am so excited and so nervous at the same time.  I'm not sure exactly what he will be doing. I had nipple and skin sparring...my dh and I have been going back and forth on whether or not to have a lift.  I was a 36D before and am a 36D after.  My boobs are much perkier than before and I feel so fortunate to have had nip and skin sparring that I should be happy with what I have.  I just don't want to regret it later..... like if the tissue settles much more. I will definitely have scar revision and lipo ( hopefully lots)!! Ultimately, I think I will do exactly what Dr D suggests.  This surgery is so sooooo different than the last.....ready to get on with it!!!

Deidre

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Thanks Cherrie. I am a good patient and do as I am told. Jeanine consulted with Dr D today to discuss my situation, and he feels that the cellulitis is indeed related to my surgery, and the lymphatic system. He thinks its related to the lipo as well. Saturday morning I went to spin class, and he thinks that from spin class and the angle I was at, compromised lymph drainage and a possible skin opening, this caused my problem. Either way, no spinning for at least 2 weeks. No LE massage for at least a month. And perhaps no more lipo... or at least not for a while, and/or not from my back. So this presents a new issue, and that is that I need one more revision on the left breast and my surgery is scheduled for November. I am unsure if he can fix me without any lipo. So more pictures, or maybe a long weekend in NOLA and a quick visit to Dr D., which I was planning for fun anyway with friends this summer... I just wasn't going to have any doctor visits... but whatever.

Busy week in NOLA.

• regenschirm
    regenschirm Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013

I haven't posted in a long time. I have been so focused on healing and getting through/over each hurdle.  My reconstruction has taken longer than I was expecting though I can say with heart that it has been worth the effort and time.   Went for bilateral delayed DIEP in Sept but only got one breast out of the deal.   Had the sGAP on 12/27.  I marvel at the metamorphosis of butt cheek to breast.  The healing has been long and involved.  Lots of PT to work on scar tissue.  I've had a tremendous improvement in range of motion on my bc/irradiated side.  Less pain and less lymphedema in my chest area.   Just this past week I had my stage 2 revision.  Once again came away with less than I was expecting (no nipples) and more than I was expecting (more pain and more healing than I was expecting).  I am ok with this.  Somewhere along the way I figured out that this is very much a long distance run.   The plan will be to let things heal and then go for an office visit for nipple construction.   I am so thrilled at how the revision looks- the gluteal flap is less flat, has a nice contour.  The scars match up now.  I was happy that the surgeon revised my port scar which was more of a crater on my chest.   Now I am struggling to be patient with the healing process.  I never thought about how bruised the lipo would leave me or how much pain would be involved.   But overall it's thrilling to be on this side of 4 major surgeries (if you count the mastectomy).  It is a miracle to me what plastic surgery can do and a miracle still how much the reconstruction has done for me in terms of mental healing and getting past the whole "being a cancer patient" thing.  Onward!

• regenschirm
    regenschirm Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013

My surgeries were at PRMA in San Antonio.

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2013

Betsy - Cellulitis totally stinks. I'm glad that you got to the ED quickly and that your infection responded well to the IV antibiotics. After your month of waiting is up, you should definitely see a Lymphedema PT and see if she can do scar release, as well as massage. My LE PT did scar release after both my surgeries. 

I'm headed to NOLA tomorrow. I have some assymetry. I'm bigger on my BC/radiation side. I'm not sure if it's from fat grafting at Stage 2 or LE. So I'm going to pop in for pictures and an appointment with Laura to see if she thinks that it can be fixed. My concern is if I have lipo, my LE will get worse and I'll have more fluid/less fat and still be asymmetric. It will be interesting to see what she and Dr. S think.

It's been a busy week in NOLA. If you've had surgery this week, treat yourselves gently!

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

Good Luck Louisiana Girl. I am so happy with my lift, but see what Dr. S says. My nipples were pointed south and I needed it. Let us know how you do.

Betsy- I never had any idea that lipo could have this effect on the lymphatic system. My flanks and back are done. Is it the same way with thighs as they will be done in the fall. I hope you heal soon Betsy.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Cherrie... Jeanine told me that any cut acros the abdomen or back can break the natural line of lymph drainage... and then the lymph system needs to plan a new route... But I guess lipo also interferes with it. All I know is Dr D is hesitant to perform any more lipo on me...

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2013

I'm a huge believer in PT. Both seeing a certified LE therapist and PT experienced in mastectomy/breast recon. It's been a long haul for me seeing both over the past two years but it's been worth it. (Not done yet)

I first saw the LE therapist after BMX/DIEP because I was freaked about my unplanned ALND and my arm felt heavy. Not only did I learn proper MLD and signs to heed, she worked on my overall post-surgical edema. She did some gentle myofacial release on my ALND arm that my PT wouldn't touch (for fear of triggering LE).

I first saw my PT after BMX because of range of motion limitation and pain. She did wonders head to toe for me, working on me through chemo. I've gone back after each surgery because my body gets very stiff. One huge benefit is that she does major scar release called soft tissue mobilization. Keeps me from forming adhesions and my understanding that scar release encourages/allows the new lymph pathways to form. I think my body is sensitive to all the cancer treatments in the sense my muscles get very tight and my ribs get 'twisted.' I have a lot of stretches and a few exercises that she has me do to keep that QOL up there.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Paula. Today's the day, yes? Thinking of you. It will be fine. Don't forget to ice your nails and brings lots of fluids with you. I always arrived at chemo with my cooler of frozen peas and bottles of water.

And yes, I will be contacting a LE PT, but Dr D wants me to wait a month.

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

Thanks Betsy. Always learning something new. Now it makes sense when I asked Dr. M for more fat off my upper back. She said I would need an excision and it affects lymphatic drainage so she didn't want to do it. I didn't know what she meant. Hope you are doing much better today.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the tips, Cherrie! All pre-op testing is done! Thankfully my primary doc caught that the hospital had done my EKG wrong so they redid it and sent the correct results. I've stopped all my antioxidants. Tomorrow i see a PT about this cording on my left side. I have a prescript for arm compressions. Added probiotics and miralax to my list. I've reviewed the packing list - probably have too many clothes! Staying at hope lodge so I'll probably pack in some food, too. ?? Will the hospital bring my parents back to the lodge at night or will they need to get a taxi to get back when I'm in the hospital? 1 week from today - cancer is coming out!! Yay! Just not looking forward to the pain. Thanks for all your help. Hmmm... would it be good for me to bring heating pad and/or ice packs? I won't know until I get there which flap surgery I will be having - have to re-stuff two B size breasts.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

Yay, klanders!  You are on your way!  I think your parents will probably need to get their own ride, but you can always mention it and see if they offer.  My husband and I arrived separately and they picked him up.  

There will be some pain but there is a significant amount of elation with having the cancer out and the surgery behind you.  Thank heavens/science for pain meds too!  I tried not to stress out about what I wasn't doing during my recuperation and got lots of rest, read tons of books, arranged for short visits from friends, and focused on getting better.  It was not a bad time.  The human body is surprisingly resilient. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2013

I wanted to put this info out there for folks staying at Hope Lodge without a car.  Whole Foods delivers groceries.  My friend and I made a list and called the concierge at Whole Foods.  She determined which sizes and brands we would need and submitted the order.  Delivery costs about $35.  I lived off organic taco salads, prunes, and whole yogurt post-op.  

The Arabella Concierge Team

Whole Foods Market

5600 Magazine Street

New Orleans, LA 70115

Phone #504-899-9119

• klanders
    edited April 2013

Thanks so much for the Whole Foods tip!!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

LA... thank you so much... Is there a shopping list from the store anywhere?

Klanders when do you leave?  We may be crossing paths... I'm heading out to NOLA April 29.

Anyone ever pack their blender?  Homewood suites has a kitchen right?  I'm having issues thinking about leaving it behind.

Thanks ladies...

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

I would be interested in hearing some go-to meals that people ate once they were discharged....  My husband isn't a cook and I'm thinking I might be stuck eating grapes 24/7....  I was thinking oatmeal and fruit... Almond butter... and now I'm fresh out of ideas.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2013

I ate, malt-o-meal, oatmeal, and mac and cheese.  That is when I actually felt like eating.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

At homewood, my mom made me egg sandwiches and fruit and yogurt. Peanut butter toast. Also had canned soup and crackers and a couple of gluten free frozen meals. She ran to whole foods with a cab one day. I didn't know about the delivery! There is a stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, sink. You could make anything there. Call and see if they would let you borrow a blender. Otherwise, pack it. I brought a blue ray player this last surgery. Just tuck it in!

• 4my4babies
    4my4babies Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013

Well, it's been 3 months since my prophylactic BMX DIEP stage 1 and I'm headed to Nola tomorrow for stage 2 with Dr. D. I have not been posting much but have kept up with most of the goings on. So glad you're better Mags! And I hope you are better soon Betsy.

The center called me a little while ago to change my 2:00 pre-op visit with Laura up to 1:30 with Amy. I asked her if Dr. D would be marking me up Friday morning before the surgery since I wasn't scheduled to see him pre-op. or would he come to the pre-op. she said "If you don't see the doctor the day before, that's what they usually do.". I thought that was such a funny thing to say because if not the day before, then would certainly have to be the day of. Otherwise, I'd wake up and "Surprise! Look what all we did to you!"

Anyway, I think I would prefer to be marked up the day before to give me a chance to process it but I guess that's not in the cards. I hear so many of you talk about the lipo he does. Am I supposed to ask for it in certain places or does he just do what he thinks needs it. (I need it everywhere!). Has anyone else not been marked up until the morning of?

• Cherrie
    edited April 2013

I have been marked up the morning of for both of my surgeries. It bothered me the first time, but Dr. M never hurried or acted like we were in a hurry. Maybe it is a blessing not to process it all night before. Now, I prefer the morning of. One less appointment.

Klanders rethinking packing too much. You don't need anything for the hospital. I went to the hospital in the clothes I walked out in. Bring a robe for Hope Lodge to go to the kitchen area, otherwise I lived in my two pair of yoga pants, 3 button down shirts, a sweater and zip up hoodie. No bras! A couple of PJ 's. flip flops or slip ons. I brought tennis shoes to walk in. I didn't need much of anything else in the way of clothes. I wouldn't bring food with you unless you are driving. Start on those probiotics today! Also, lots of protein right now.

I didn't feel like eating, but chicken noodle soup, yogurt, and protein shakes worked best for me.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

They told me for my stage 2 in June that I would have my pre-op in the morning with Dr. Trahan , to go over what I wanted done and what he wanted to do, and my surgery would start around 11. Of course that could all change, but I told them I was fine with that.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

About heating pads and ice packs... no no no

And food at Homewood Suites, there are lots of restaurants in walking distance, but they also feed you at the homewood (both breakfast (daily) and dinner (4 days a week))... Or for $5 cab ride, there is amazing food in the Quarter.

About transportation for family. My mom took cabs back and forth to the hotel. And she was 80 at the time. I never asked them to drive her, but I gathered it wasn't part of the deal. I think they transport for appts of the patient and airport for anyone in the party...

Getting marked up.. Yes, that was an odd statement. Of course if you can't see him the day before you will see him the day of. Perhaps they meant he may be able to see you the day before even though it isn't currently planned that way.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

We were told that the car service is only when the patient is in the car...they do not shuttle the family back and forth...sorry Klanders

Food suggestions are great....look for your usual "comfort" foods that you go to...chx soup...mac n cheese...grilled cheese...pb toast...yogurt these were some of my faves

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

About food - you really won't want much to eat.  Focus on protein for rebuilding, liquids to flush the body.  If you are at Homewood, go down for breakfast and dinner.  I had eggs, sausage, potatoes for B-fast and tilapia with salad for dinner.  There is a thai restaurant around the corner (great pad thai) and an excellent pizza place across the street.  Mother's is open for breakfast and lunch right down the road.  It is harder to take food into the body than it is to find food in NOLA. 

Don't over pack - Cherrie is so right in her list.  You think you are going to want the comforts of home, but your body really wants to rest and heal.  

Getting marked up the morning of is probably the best way to go.  Less to process.  I didn't see Dr. M in person from when we first met in January until the morning of my surgery in November.  Our pre-op got cancelled because a patient needed her direct attention.  Before Stage 2 we met in the pre-op area.  We chatted while she looked at me with those artist's eyes. She made marks that she understood and that was all that matters.  With the multi-part stage 2 it is easier for them to meet our desires while allowing them to perfect as they proceed.

I get up in the morning thinking what a great day it is and then some little issue like a shower shoots me down.  Took way too long to get everything together.  By the time we got to the walk, I was on the front edge of tired.  I never knew a body could turn these colors of black.  I think someone forgot to issue me the blue.  Got green, but no blue.  When we got home, I needed a 3 hour nap.  Off to walk again shortly.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Sorry martyj...that was probwbly me that took dr m away from you that day so she could remove my dead diep flap :D no hard feelings haha!

Maggie

• klanders
    edited April 2013

Thanks! I'll pack light and plan on cabs for parents - and thanks for the food ideas!

Motherandchild5... I arrive April 22, stage 1 on the 24th and fly home on May 2nd so maybe we'll cross paths.