Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2013

4my4babies...Sounds like the girls look great!! Happy for you! I weighed myself yesterday and I'm up 4lbs. from before my Stage 1. It has to be swelling:/ because I feel lighter! lol Seriously though I haven't been eating too much. This seems to be normal after. The body holds on to the fluids to help the healing.

Cherrie...Perfectly said!!!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2013

Betsy --

I am looking at a IIc probably in late October or early November. Gotta get on the horn to Jeanine and see what we can schedule. Dr. D. put a baby flap into the contralateral breast for symmetry and promised that he would get to the "back porch" and do any final breast fine tuning in the next surgery. As the B&B has taken off like a shot, I can't work it in this summer, so late fall it is. Perhaps we'll be recovery buddies again!

Mags -- you KNOW you need to vent and you KNOW we are the ones to not only hear you,but to understand, support and laugh/weep along with you. don't apologize ... we have all, at one time or another, really let loose! Part of the healing ...

Maggie-1

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

4My4 - I weighed myself before Stage 1 and again 10 days later when I returned home.  I was up about 8 pounds, but knew that the implants that were removed were almost 4 lbs.  I made it back to my starting weight before Stage 2 (also measured waist and hips).  Even though Dr. M said she removed 2.1 ltr of fat (4+ lbs), I was again up 8 pounds.  Now I am at 11 days out and beginning to lose pounds, but the waist is still up about 2 inches.  I will be curious to see if I end up down by at least 8 lbs (implants + fat) from the beginning weight.  Sure would be nice and a great motivator going into 2b. I do think once the hip drains are out, things will begin to move.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2013

Well ladies anyone who's in town this weekend and next, if you have a free day, and your looking for something to do, visit the Jazz Fest at the Fairgrounds great music and even better food!  Here's the link www.nojazzfest.com.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2013

4my4babies....after stage 2 I weighed myself. I got out of bed one day and could tell i was heavy. Like I had a pack on my back and sandbags around my legs. I was up almost 30 pounds!!! Within a week, it was gone. Then lost another 15-18 then gained half of it back. So swelling of 15-20 pounds seems likely. I had that after delivering babies too. Up 30-40 then all of that gone within a week. Fluid weighs a lot! It was alarming but fun to watch it melt away!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

It's okay to whine... We need to know realistically what we are up against. And it's nice hearing that in the end it is worth it! Well, I met Dr Sullivan today - he wants to do what the 3 PS's at The university of Michigan were unwilling to do! I'll have a DIEP with some extra hip fat thrown in! He even thinks that all my drains will be out before I go home! This is sounding pretty simple compared to what I was expecting. I guess I have more fat than I thought (and/or smaller breasts)! Dr Gray is doing the BMX and he seems wonderful. I'm confident I'm in great hands. See you on the other side. Thanks again!

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Klanders.. I so glad you feel relieved! Thinking of you and know you will do great and look great!! Hugs!!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

took myself for a mani/pedi this eve....very nice.  Dr M called to ck on me while I was in the chair.  She reassured me that was I am experiencing is normal given the fact that we had to remove the compression in the beginning and was on bed rest and could barely move.  Came back to "bite" me in the butt you might say :)  She also said that seromas do not always have to be aspirated--all the docs there have come to that conclusion--unless they are painful or an infection develops---which is rare--and that aspiration is more likely to cause an infection so if I can tolerate what I describe as tenderness then I am all systems go for my vaca.  I am exstatic!

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2013

Kristin - Sounds wonderful!  I am so happy that by this time tomorrow you will have this behind you.  Sleep well.  Will be thinking of you with gentle hugs!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2013

MotherandChild - You're in the best of hands! You could not be goin gto a better place, honestly. And, we all did it! You can do it! 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2013

Klanders, you are definitely in the best of hands. Try and get some rest and we will look for you ok the other side!!! You doing to do great!!!! Sending prayers to the ladies up this week!!!!

Mother, I repeat again what Soeig just said!!

Spring, please add me to the list. I'm confirmed for stage 2b with Dr . D at SCSH for Friday November 8th. I'll PM you tomorrow just in case. Oh my goodness!!!!! I can't believe I'm doing this, but the pain has gotten bad and it looks horrible :-( the ropes are getting bigger. I am hard as a rock until you get under the scars on the butt area which means its just hard ropey scar tissue all the way down.

But, I know there are guarantees, but I need to take this leap of faith. Just needing some support I guess.

Thank you ladies for everything!!!! You are all the sweetest and bravest women I know!!!!

Hugs to you all

Chelle

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2013

Chelle- so sorry you are going through this pain and outcome. What is Dr. D planning on doing to help you out?

Sleep...............Klanders! You will do great.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2013

Chelle... You are just a couple of weeks before me. And yes, what does Dr D have planned?

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Maggie, Don't hold back!  You better believe if it were happening to me I would be talking about it here.  I also know someone on another board who is flying back to Nola with MRSA but it is all complications from another doctor that Nola is fixing.  I totally know this is the right decision and I have had breast surgery before.  Just bracing myself for it and I *know* I'm going to be just fine.  But I do feel like I'm better prepared if I was in the 1% that had a complication by lining up a PS.

Feeling just slightly better today.  It's 11 days post SNB/port placement.  I think I might be over the hump and have 11 days to go before my trip.  So maybe JazzFest is a possibility.  Also planning on seeing the bayous on my uncle's boat in Cocodrie another day.  I've seen all the usual touristy stuff in Nola so it will be nice to slow it down a little and see some different things.

I don't think there is shade to be had at the festival from what people tell me, except in a few tents.  But I did buy this really ridiculous folding sun hat at ChinaTown on vacation in Los Angeles a few weeks ago.  I didn't have a mirror at the shop to see how silly it was, but it's almost like wearing an umbrella.  I'm totally bringing that, yes I am.

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Marsha.. You go girl with your silly hat! Love it!! Glad you are feeling better!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

Thanks Russell1!

So I bought some Hibiclens and decided to try it.  Good thing I tried it early.  I'm totally allergic to it, which does not suprise me -- I have sensitive skin.  Hives, whelps and a few itchy bumps.  Glad I did not do this right before surgery.  Going to get the other soap they recommended and try that.

Marsha

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Marsha.... I used Hibclens for the frst surgery, but DIAL soap after that... for all other surgeries. Even when I was starting in the hosiptal (had wound surgery then DIEP) so days leading up to surgery were at SCSH, I used their Neutrogena soap.

• chellehump
    edited April 2013

Good morning ladies. Sorry for all the typos on my last post. I was exhausted and typing from my phone.

Betsy, I thought about you when I was scheduling in November as I would love to meet you, but this allows me a week or two to heal before Thanksgiving and it works with my husbands work schedule.

I spoke with Jeanine again on my way home last night about what they will do again and having her calm my fears a little. My backside/hips are hard all the way down until you get below my donor site. So, they will cut it ALL out "ouch" and pull everything up again and I will be the entire way around. She's calling it the body lift and we will start scar treatment MUCH earlier and if this starts to happen again I will have injections done to hopefully stop it and break it up before it gets as bad as it is now. Plus, she said raising the scar higher, I won't be sitting on it "persay" and maybe that will help. He is also going to fix my breasts scars as they spread across too and she said I'm there, let him fix it.

I am SO SO nervous. This has to be fixed cause it's getting worse and bigger and when I sit I go numb back there and when I go to stand up it's horrible pain. This could be that the "ropes" are pressing in on a nerve or cutting the blood flow (almost like when your foot/hand goes to sleep) and wakes up you get the tingling and pain), well this is just pain!

But, I know Dr. D will do everything he can and the center will do everything they can to hopefully help my body heal correctly this time. I just wonder if I did something wrong. Jeanine says no, but I'm not sure.

Oh one more thing...I know there have been discussions about scaring "newbies" with stories and or complications. I agree with the other ladies on this. Having complications isn't a norm and I do not regret my decision to go to NOLA one bit!!!! You are in the best hands possible and I will scream this from the roof tops to anyone who will listen. You don't have to settle for what your local docs say is your only option cause if I had, I'd have implants and would be missing both lat muscles.

Well, if you anyone is going to be there during that time, I really hope I get to meet a few ladies. My plan is to fly the morning of the 7th and fly back the afternoon of the 11th after my post-op. I am a post-op gal, so I will leave on Monday.

Hugs to you all!!
    Chelle

Klanders, can't wait to hear from you on the other side!!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

Klanders know you are doing great and look forward to hearing from you.

Home safe and slept in my own bed last night. Whoooo hoooo, so nice 😴

Feel better everyday, how soon before I can put the scar cream on the scars? I was 1 week out yesterday.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2013

One more question I forgot to ask...

When am I able to drive? I am thinking they don't want you to drive because of pain killers, I am only taking the antibiotic and have not needed pain killers since I left the hospital. Fell good enough to drive but don't want to jinx it.

Everything looks and feels unbelievably good so will wait to drive if that is a restriction. Any input is appreciated 😄

• chellehump
    edited April 2013

Marcie

The typical time for scar treatment is at 4 weeks. I waited a little while before I drove because I was a little worried about my reaction time and I didn't realize how many muscles you use to drive (twisting, turning and steering). But, if you are off pain meds, I'd suggest going somewhere close and see how you feel and go from there. You had stage 1, so just take it slow and don't overdo it. Sounds like you are doing really well and YES there is nothing like your own bed!!! I am so happy for you!!

Chelle

• Russell1
    edited April 2013

Can I put the neosporin on after painting the incisions? Or do I need to wait the 4 weeks?

I scheduled my Stage 2 for July 12th. Just have to line up Mom and Mother in law for kids and make sure hubby is ok with that. Which I'm sure he is. He is so happy with the girls>>hehe:)

Can't wait to hear from you Klanders!!!

Marcie...I drove yesterday and my 2 week mark is on Friday. It was fine. :) I just dont' like the seatbelt across my chest!

Chelle...Praying for a wonderful fix for you. No pain!!!! xo

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2013

I don't like the seatbelt across mine either. Now when I'm wearing a thick jacket or coat it's not so bad, but it is getting warmer and yesterday didn't have jacket or coat and it was strange feeling. I did happen to bring a sweat jacket with me and stuffed it between me and seatbelt which made it better.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013

The foam pillow with micro fiber that is sold for use between legs/knees and side sleepers works PERFECT for use between the seatbelt and the new flaps.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Melanie.. If you come early, made we'll meet. I will be in NOLA July 3-9.

Also, neosporin can be used right away on the drain sites. I used it immediately after surgery.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2013

I wouldn't use an ointment unless doctor recommends, and use sparingly, you don't want to risk softening an incision so much that it opens. Also consider using a single antibiotic ointment instead (like Bacitracin), Neosporin has triple antibiotics and can irritate skin with prolonged use.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited April 2013

Yes neosporin on the drain site Melanie but I do not think they recommend it for the entire incisions...better ck with doc's office.

Maybe my stage 2b will be in Nov and we could meet up...Not sure when it will fall just yet...one at a time baby

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Looking like a party in NOLA in November... Come join me ladies!!!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2013

Just wanted to put in my opinion as a newbie.  Even though I soak in every single word everyone says and some of it scares me a little at first, I gain such strength and confidence from all the responses and outcomes.  If this site was all flowers and sunshine and I encountered even a smidgeon of what could and does happen I would be in a total panic.  Now if something happens I'll remember "oh ya, that happened to so and so and they got through it just fine".  The unknown is extremely frightening and knowledge is power and you are all empowering the heck out of me.  So now I believe I can breeze right through this no matter what happens.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2013

I'm quite sure I'll be shooting for Stage 2 NOLA in November too... 

Off to clean house for a distraction.  Finished a bottle of wine the other night because I was sooo anxious.  Not great since it gave me a hangover in the morning.  Called NOLA to see if they could give me an anti-anxiety.  They said NO.. since they have never met me before... Now I feel dumb.

In-laws coming into town tonight.  I'll need a drink just 'cause of that.

Thinking of Klanders.