Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Jennifer/mother, I'm impressed you feel well enough to sightsee. So there is hope I might make it to the crawfish boil I was invited to the day after I'm supposed to be released. Congratulations on your clear pathology!

MartyJ, I didn't mean to contradict, I just thought it was important to know the stage. I totally get what you are saying about the comparison of stages. My new cancer looks like stage 1 while my first cancer was stage 3. The people who knew me when I first was diagnosed are often like "oh so it's only stage one". Like because i survived stage 3 that this is not life threathening or is walk in the park. I only tell them the stage because I don't want them to think I have mets, but it sucks just as much as the first time if not more. I'm having more serious surgery, chemo again, losing my hair again, and doing a whole year of herceptin. When I tell people about the surgery they don't seem nearly as upset as when I say I will do chemo. I personally feel that chemo makes you look sick to everyone else so that's why they perceive it to be worse. It all sucks.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

Yeah Jennifer!!  This is teriffic news.  I am also so happy that you are feeling so well.  Carry on

Maggie

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Paula, I told people after my first go round with bc exactly that "breast cancer, chemo, rads was NOT the worst thing that ever happened to me" and I meant it! And going through it now - it still isn't.

My opinion on BRCA+ ladies who go for bmx is that they are terribly brave. To be so strong to pick bmx. It's not cut and dry for them and I admire their bravery!

My daughter asked what was the worst thing and I said for starters, when your dad died at 43 is one..,

So nice now to hear those words out of someone else going through it! We just deal with it. And so glad for BCO!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

I have felt that I am fortunate to only be a stage II cancer survivor, and feel for those who have to confront a stage III or IV diagnosis. Mentally that is so much harder than my diagnosis. But, at the same time, cancer is cancer. I have a dear friend who was diagnosed with glioblastoma (brain cancer) and her prognosis is grim. So even though we both have cancer, I do recognize the difference between her diagnosis and mine. And feel blessed everyday that I did catch mine early, and have a great chance of living a full stress-free life. No one has ever said to me "only stage II" ... As a matter of fact, I think most people believe my circumstance is more dire than I think it is. Not belittling my diagnosis, just trying to keep in in perspective.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Hope you have a great appointment Jennifer....and a great trip home! 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

I missed so much in these last couple of days! Had a busy weekend watching my son's Motorcross. Finally after 2 1/2 yrs., starting to live somewhat normally. I hate talking about the Stages of cancer! Cancer diagnosis sucks period!

Klanders..& Motherandchild...so glad you are home!!!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Betsy..Thinking of your dear friend.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

I agree with the sentiments expressed here -- it hasn't all been bad and it has certainly been a learning experience.  I think the whole thing could have been much more devastating had I not been so fortunute in other ways, such as having some level of financial security, a supportive husband with good insurance, flexible working relationships, and a helpful and loving community of friends.  I can't imagine going through something like this without health insurance or a supportive partner.  I am not fortunate to have had cancer but I am a lucky person in so many other ways.  

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

This"journey" is so difficult for anyone who has to take it. Choosing to have your breasts removed is tough for anyone--whether they are already trying to kill you or are maybe going to try the decision is one that no one should have to make. Thank goodness we have awesome docs that can give us our breasts back!

So I have decided to do the vlntx ahead of my stage 2. She will possibly do some revisions but the focus will be fixing theLE. Unless she decides that we gotta do something about this pain in my butt. Hoping by then its gone. Having Us guided aspiration wed morning..wish me luck that it won' t come back (know that is a possibility though)

Maggie

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Good for you Mags! I had my LNT during my Stage 2.

My surgeon didnt do all that he normally would have because of doing LNT. He just worked on my left breast flap opposite of LE side and smoothed out part of incision on SGAP donor site.

For me, the LNT was easy.

What donor site for lymph nodes will Dr M be using?

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Sounds like the flap will be from the neck. May change at my pre op..we shall see

Maggie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2013

Here's the short list!

May 8 - Marsha1970 - Stage 1, BMX with immediate bilateral DIEP, Dr. S,  NOLA

May 10 - Cherrie - Stage 2b, Dr. M, Chicago.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Starting Miralax and Colace. Packing tomorrow and leaving Wednesday morning. I've decided to take a positive approach to this. I heal well and have been able to get off pain meds quickly in the past. I am sure all will go well. Hoping for no drains for a family wedding two weeks later. 😄😄😄😄😄

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Cherrie - this one will be a cinch!  Can't wait to hear the revised plan.  

Dr. M used a new closing technique on me this time. Still the sutures underneath, but once she pulled the incision lines together with the glue she added a tape (sort of reminded me of strapping tape, but 1/2" wide).  It is supposed to help support the incisions.  I removed it today (after 3 weeks), slowly and gently.  Wow.  If these incisions continue to heal as they are I imagine they will be invisible in a year or two.  Very excited!  Of course, for some reason some of the sutures that were supposed to dissolve, didn't.  So DH has been charged with putting on a magnifying headset and clipping, carefully.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Marty, that is good news. I hope she uses that procedure on me. I can just imagine your hubby with his magnifying headset on. That picture makes me laugh.

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

Marty- did the Dr tell you to remove the tape or did you just want to do it? I have dissolvable s that are still hanging in there.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Catie - the dissolvable stitches were beneath the tape. Dr M told me it would start to come off at 3 weeks. I noticed a loose end and simply pulled gently. It was definitely ready. When I was with Dr M at the Dragon Boat Race on Saturday she told me to just cut the stitches that were still there as they were irritating. This led DH to the special jewelers headset with multiple magnifications. I wasn't taking any chances with his vision and my boobs.

Cherrie - ask her about the tape. Not sure it is available in Chicago. In Charleston, she operates in the heart and vascular center so she adopts goodies from the cardio thoracic surgeons.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Oh darn. Maybe she'll pull something out of her hat. You never know.🎩🐰

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited May 2013

I had some sort of tape over my ab incision after surgery and the nurse pulled it off after my shower, she said it was easier to remove after it was wet. Would this be the same tape that you're talking about. Cause if it is I couldn't have left it on as long as 3 weeks as it was giving me blisters after just a day.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Judy... I had that tape as well, and even though I don't know exactly what Marty is talking about, I don't think its the same thing.

• Judy_63
    edited May 2013

I figured it was probably different but I thought I would ask anyway.

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

My tape is almost 3/4 around my body and going strong - no blisters no problem. But not coming loose either - sorta like webbed shipping tape. Showers don't bother it and it doesn't make me itch - so that's a miracle. Reason I asked Marty as it never occurred toe to ask or start to take off!

I have dissolve able stitches that haven't yet - either.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

It sounds like our "dissolvable" sutures aren't always so. Anyone been told how long before they dissolve? I've had to trim these irritating barbed wires, too.

I had my tape on forever. Sent in pics around 4 weeks post op and one response was to pull tape off gently yesterday. :)

Don't know if tape is same. My surgeon wife is thoracic surgeon so who knows. Just happy I didnt have probs with allergy to tape. Incisions look smooth and thin.

• Judy_63
    edited May 2013

I guess I've been lucky with my sutures, I lost the last one about 2 weeks ago at 4 weeks. It was on my right side in which my flap was sewn on.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Catie - it is probably very similar.  I think you should give them a call and ask if it can come off.  Then take a nice long shower.  I think being moist did help.  Gently stabilize the skin on either side with one hand as you pull.  

Judy, Betsy is right.  This tape is different.  I was amazed that it didn't react with the skin at all.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

I hope I am not the only on here that had their scars spread, rise and are just ugly...The only scar that is somewhat thin is the scar from my mini-tummy tuck. All the others are wide, discolored and raised in several spots. The thought of thin scars around my hips and butt make me happy, but I am scared this will happen again. My biggest concern is under the skin, but I trust Dr. D, I just wish I could hear his words on what he can do and what he can do to hopefully prevent all this from happening again...

I asked Jeanine about the pain and discomfort getting worse and asked will it continue to get worse and she said yes. I am noticing the days after I workout are worse than other days. I have come so far that I am not going to stop, but this is a real pain in the ASS...literally (LOL)
    She also suggests me coming in the day before pre-op to have flexability with Dr. D's schedule or I could end up not seeing him until the morning of surgery. That doesn't sit well with me :(

Has anyone on here had the center do something different or special to keep the scar smaller and closer to together?
    The area where my hips drains are two areas that are actually raised scars.

Ok, enough rambling...I am just hurting today (worked out last night) and again I am scheduled 6 months out...UGH!!

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Chelle... I did not have your problems, but my port scar was raised and painful... Dr D injected something in there to flatten it out. It was a miracle. I also think that if he revised the scar it will most likely be great afterward. Or some combination of treatments. Dr D gets it... and he is a perfectionist, so I would express your concerns and see what he has planned.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

Thank you Betsy!!!

I wish I could have seen him when I went for my consult in May. I can only go by what Jeanine is saying. She said that all the scars I have from my hips and back will be completely removed/cut out. He will have to cut out the cording that is under the skin from the hip area all the way back and then lift everything up again with a new scar. I just wonder if there is anything they can do during surgery to pull the incisions tighter or put on top and then my biggest fear is the cording underneath. I don't want it to happen again!!! That is the reason for the additional surgery cause it is poking out of the skin & there is no cushion back there so it hurts to sit. I trust Dr. D and know he is a perfectionist and I wish I could get that calm feeling you get after talking to him and having him tell you what he can do, if that makes any sense.

Jeanine mentioned injections, but said I would have to go to a dermatologist here to get them, if the cording starts to happen again. She said I would just go and that Dr. D wouldn't refer me. Does that sound right?

I'm sorry ladies!!! I don't mean to be a debbie downer today, but I worked out hard last night (kickboxing class & weights) and just sitting at my desk is painful....

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Chellehump - I don't have any answers for you but please know I'm thinking of you.  If there is one thing I learned here you are totally validated and allowed to vent.  It does help make you feel a little better to know you are being heard.

Marsha - Tomorrow's your day!!  Are you totally psyched and excited?  Positive thoughts and smooth sailing for you. 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2013

My husband gets the keloid scars and I remember someone else early on this thread got them, no matter what. For my husband, he had many injections to settle down the keloid. His was not from an incision, it was road rash from a car accident, so about a 4"x8" area. The other person on this thread got some injections to the incision site. So, yes, it does sound right that you would go to a dermatologist on your own to get the injections.

You might also consider finding a physical therapist who can work on keeping the scar tissue loose after the initial healing phase. That scar tissue keeps forming for months, so if a PT can keep working on that to prevent adhesions you might not experience this same discomfort. I'd try to find someone who has experience with mastectomy patients and does 'soft tissue mobilization.'