Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sea_laurel
    sea_laurel Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013

Dear All,

I am asking for your advice here. One of my option for immediate reconstruction is with Dr. Massey, Stage 1 in NO with oncology surgeon Dr. Stollier, I know that this topic has a long history and 778 pages, I simply cannot read them all to dig this information out, not being lazy, just my head is already hurting from all information that I need to absorb before making a decision (I have 3 options to consider and need to make a decision along with practical arangements). So my question is how good of a surgeon he is. His credentials are superb, but at the same time on vitals.com a patient conplained that he lost his touch. Because of the active cancer, oncology surgeon skills and success are really important to me. I am also wondering if they have good pathologists available during the operation in St Charles? thank you all so very much, this forum is absolutely great!

Sincerely,

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2013

I don't think you can make a mistake by going to NOLA.  They all are just the best at what they do.  I didn't have Dr. Stollier but am using Dr. Massey.  I just don't believe they would work with anyone that wasn't at the top of their game.  I'm sure other patients of Dr. Stollier will chime in.  I can only say that I wish I had taken your route and had MX followed by immediate recon.  Sounds like you've done your research.  I wish you well.  These ladies are a wealth of information and support. Remember....it's all they do and they're great at it.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Sea_laurel, I had Dr. Stolier as my breast surgeon and I have zero complaints about him.  He's fantastic in every possible regard, and I can't really say that about any of the other Dr.s and surgeons I've dealt with since my breast cancer diagnosis.  He found an area in the fatty tissue in my breast that my DCIS had spread into.  He was the only Dr. to find this (he was the 4th to look at my mammogram) and he took great care in making sure he got close enough to my skin to remove it.  He personally called me with my pathology results, he personally called me with my gene test results, and he personally wrote me a thank you note for a Christmas gift I'd sent.  He's just an incredibly nice man and extremely passionate about his work.  He did my BMX in October and he certainly hadn't lost his touch then.  Granted, he's older (in his late 60's) but that just tells me that he has a LOT of experience.  I wouldn't let his age deter you at all.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Maggie...sounds like you got caught in the throes of egos!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

I wish I could help you out with Dr Stollier..but my bmx was 15 months before recon started for me....have heard great things though.  The doc who just refused me tx here locally has great reviews online so remember that is subjective to individual experience and perception.  Usually only those who have had a bad experience are the ones who complain and those that are happy usually do not so it skus the review just a bit ( I just gave the local doc a bad review--haha)

and YES Audrella...it was not until I called to get Dr M's opinion did he suddenly not want to touch my a##  ;) sorry if I offend anyoneLaughing

maggie-2 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Sea laurel,

From what I understand, Dr Stollier is a stellar BC, but no longer doing surgery at NOLA. Several patients of Dr M recently were changed to the new surgeons on board at NOLA.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited May 2013

Dr. Stolier did my prophylactic left side mx 6 weeks ago and I have no complaints with him. They did send my breast tissue off for biopsy and he called when he said he would with the results. But I seen on someone elses post he was going to be having some sort of surgery himself. So that was the reason some were getting switched to different BS.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Dr. Stolier is great, I was so impressed with how he discussed my concerns with me about my pathology report, and he gave me a big hug when I was leaving after Stage 2.  But I must say that I was surprised at how shaky his hands are!  And he also came to check on my incisions and didn't wash his hands first!  

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Sea Laurel - Dr. Massey is fantastic.  She will be right there with any Breast Surgeon.  There are several now working with the NOLA docs and all have supurb credentials.  From what I have heard, Dr. Stollier may be retiring.  If you have one of the other breast surgeons, you will be pleased.  The pathology is excellent as well.  They can't afford to have a problem at the Breast Center in NOLA - they are the best!  Dr. M is my PS and I love her work.  She has never steered me wrong.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Sea_laurel... I had Dr Stolier and I love that man... His hands were definitely shakey though when he came in to see me after my MX in 2011... But I also agree that the doctors in NOLA are perfectionists and only have the best working with them... Dr Stolier is almost 70 years old, and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired soon... He does still work there, but as someone said is having his own procedure.

Perry Dawn

About nowheregirl... you did the right thing... perhaps try again. She may be looking to see how many posts you've made.

And about you "sad" breasts, D Sullivan will rearrange them at stage II, including a lift. So no worries there. And my one breast was quite firm right up til stage II... Dr D worked on it and it improved a lot... but not 100%. Be patient.

Making the nipple, they use the skin right there on the breast. Not sure how they do it, but it looks real. And fat grafting fat comes from lipo in other areas of the body, like thighs and love handles... Then they use that fat to inject into imperfections.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited May 2013

LAstar-  I am noted your comment about Stollier and not washing hands. I have to tell you

that unfortunately very few wash their hands- doctors that is. I am a nurse and work in a reputable large hospital.

So, I see that often.....  not a big surprise. Its not ideal...but, I see it happen

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Maggie- I can't believe that he refused to do an aspiration. What an ego! You should file a complaint with the hospital. Then wash your hands of it.

I also have Dr. Massey and have nothing but great things to say. I didn't have active cancer so I can't help you there. My BS was Dr. LaGarde, who comes highly recommended. However, Dr. LaGarde never let me know the results of my pathology. I found that out through Dr. M. She seemed surprised.

Well tomorrow is surgery eve. I have calmed down a lot and am ready to move forward. I have been doing more protein, taking probiotics, and doing the Miralax and Colace. All systems are a go.

Thinking of you Marsha. Sending healing (((hugs))) and prayers your way!!!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Dr Stollier did do my BMX today, no changes to that plan were made. I was not able to keep my nipples because the cancer was right underneath it. I could have kept the other side but it was already scarred from my 2007 lumpectomy. I didn't really like my inverted nipples anyway and look forward to my new pretty ones.

Dr. Sullivan few as able to include my wide 8 inch scar above my pubic bone from my first oopherectomy when I had a large endometrioma cyst removed. He also revised my ugly lumpy scar from my 2007 axillary node dissection and 2 radiation tattoos that I wanted removed.

The surgeries together took about 4.5 hours. Amazing.

I feel pretty good but I would fell better if they let me eat or at least have an icee. I asked Dr Trahan directly and he is not ready to do that. One of the dopplers is a little weak but they are not too concerned. They said I can eat in the morning.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Sounds great Marsha!!!

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Marsha - all sounds good.  Maybe they would let you suck on some ice?  Looking forward to hearing more about your dopplers tomorrow.

Cherrie - I am thinking of you!  Give Dr. M a big hug from me.  Becky, too.  Can't wait to hear the plan.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited May 2013

So glad to hear from you Marsha!!! Hope you can get some rest tonight, but I'm sure they will be in every hour or so to check the dopplers. Sending prayers and hugs your way!!

Thinking of you Cherrie, you are almost up :-)

Betsy, I think I may have found a LANA certified therapist near me. Do we need a script of some sort or just call and tell them the situation? I just remember when I tore ligaments in my ankle I needed a prescription for physical therapy from the orthopedic surgeon so I wasn't sure if this would be the same situation.

It's crazy though how much worse things have gotten in last few weeks to a month. I'm thinking I may see if I can get some relief before surgery.....

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

Cherrie, Cherrie baby....remember that song???   Singing and hoping for the best for you!

Marsha...take it slow...don't want to upset the tummy too soon....you sound good...I would never have been able to go online the afternoon of my surgeries...guess cuz they took so long ;)

Maggie-2

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Chelle... For my insurance, I didn't need a script, but by getting one it ensures better coverage. So I didn't have one for my evaluation, but they called Dr D to get one for my first treatment. Your insurance may be different, so just check. Mine doesn't require referrals either.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Mags.....sounds like that Dr. has a ego problem!! I don't see why he wouldn't aspirate!!! What an a-- hole!!!

Perrydawn..I have the same thing. My radiated side is firmer in spots. I believe they make nipples using your skin on your breasts. The indents will be filled in with fat from liposuction. Anywhere they can find it. It all should be addresses in Stage 2. Do you still have your drains? How are you feeling?

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013

Good to hear from you Marsha!

Regarding Dr Stolier - he's highly respected on the boards. You are lucky to have Dr Massey and you can trust whomever she wants to work with. I panicked when I was switched from Dr Stolier to Dr Gray but I shouldn't have worried. They work with the best there. Dr Gray called me yesterday and let me know that the additional skin/tissue that they took out on Thursday was free of cancer. Yay!! No radiation! Oncotype was just started so I postponed my oncologist appt. so that would be in.

Celeste and I talked about Dr Von Almen taking out my ovaries at stage 2. (I had left them in when I had my hysterectomy.) I spoke with him by phone tonight and was very impressed. He feels they need to come out since my ER was super high. I guess I just need to decide if I should do it at stage 2 or as a separate surgery. Any opinions?

My mom pulled my one breast drain today. That went well. Still have the hip drains. I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since surgery.

I'm nowhere near standing up straight. I've started laying on my back on the floor - trying to stretch out. I have to keep my knees totally bent but today I managed to get my shoulders on the floor at the same time as my rear. But the stretch gave me a headache. I feel like a rubber band. Anyone have any other great ideas for stretching the abdomen skin? Dr Sullivan wasn't kidding when he said my skin isn't very stretchy!

I need to call tomorrow to schedule stage 2. I'd like to do it in July. Hopefully I'm upright by then!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Thinking of you Cherrie!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Yay Klanders! Great news! I would remove your ovaries at Stage 2. You are sounding a lot better & in sure you will be standing straight soon! I have my hip drains in still. It will be 4 weeks on Friday.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Kristen... Don't push it with the stretching... your incision is very fresh. Also, my ER status was very high... 99% I think. I toyed with the idea of removing my ovaries, but after talking it out with my Mo and gynocologist, I decided to wait a few years. If I were BRCA positive, I would for sure, but the risks with QOL are too high. And I want to protect my bones. My gyno says we should discuss it again when I am in my mid-50s (50 now).

• klanders
    edited May 2013

Hhhmmm... Looks like I need to do some research on those ovaries! Thanks Russell and Betsy.

You are right, Betsy. It's 3:30am and everything hurts. I shouldn't have done that stretching today. I Just don't know how I'll ever stand up straight again without doing something. Pain pill and back to bed (chair). Sure which I could be like Jennifer!

Does anyone ever measure themselves before and after? I did. Up top I went from a 34 to 35 1/2. (Maybe some swelling still?) Hips lost two inches and are 36 now. Waist is 2 inches larger and measures 31 now.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

Kristen - patience, patience, patience.  Yeah, I sound like someone's mother.  Your ab needs time.  You will be walking upright very soon, but you do not want to push it.  No stretches yet.  Maybe wait til you are at least 6 weeks out?  Dr. M recommends we don't exercise except walking for at least 6 weeks.  And you still have drains?  You really have to give yourself time to heal inside and out.  This is one recovery that you really can't and don't want to rush!

And yes, I measured before and after Stage 1 and Stage 2.  Your top is still swollen as is your waist.  Swelling will come and go for a while. 

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013

I had my gap surgery on Jan 23 and thought my swelling was down by the end of 9 weeks. Actually, though, I went down another 1/2 inch within the next 4 weeks. So Marty is right - there is more swelling than you think and it keeps going down for a long long time. ;)

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013

BDavis and Russell1, thank you for the info.  I'm sure this topic has been addressed but the info flies fast and furious in this thread. At this point I consider myself lucky that I have experienced no real complications having read about some of the issues that some of you ladies are experiencing. Prior to my mastectomy I was a C - D cup and Dr. S was only able to get enough from my hips for a full B/small C cup.  He discussed with me about putting small implanst to give me the fullness that I want.  Any of you had an experience with implants after tissue transplants?

I still have my hip drains and at 5 weeks out they are still putting out an average of 30 - 35cc's daily.  Since I'm not nearly as brave as some of the ladies on this thread, I am going to the surgeon who performed my mastectomy to pull out the drains when its time.  Funny though, when I saw him for a regular appointment and he saw the work that Dr. S did and was pretty pissed and snippy with me telling me that he felt slighted that no one from NOLA called him and he proceeded to "scold" me about doing such an unorthodox procedure.  I would have chosen a local plastic surgeon to pull the drains but the two that I had consultations with prior to Dr. S, tried to discourage me from going to NOLA.  However, overall I'm glad I didn't listen.

My mother, after seeing how great the doctors in NOLA have been, wants to finally undergo reconstruction after 10 years. She had a lumpectomy.  Dr. S recommended she do a mastectomy on her affected breast and then a DIEP.  My mother is 68 and healthy but I still can't help but be concerned.

Overall, I feel pretty good and I am anxious to get back to normal activity.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2013

PerryDawn - you don't need a surgeon to pull the drains.  Your GYN can do it or an internist.  Even a walk-in emergent care clinic or friend that is a nurse.  It doesn't hurt.  You shouldn't have to put up with a doctor's sass just to pull the drains.

• klanders
    edited May 2013

PerryDawn,

My mom pulled my breast drain yesterday. Dr Gray actually encouraged it! I sat and read email to distract myself and didn't feel it come out. I think my hip drains are in farther so I'll maybe have those pulled at my primary doc's office. I'm still putting out 60 cc's every 24 hours in both so I'll probably have them for a while. I'm sure glad we are allowed to shower with our drains!

Is there an ideal timeframe for doing stage 2? I'm hoping to do mine at 3 months in July so that I have time left in the calendar year if I need a 2b or 2c. Were you'all ready for stage 2 after just three months? My out of network deductible is so high I have to be done by December 31. Kristin

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2013

Morning Ladies!!!

Today I'm a little more chipper than yesterday.  Yesterday I hit some kind of surgical blues.  I cried from sun-up to sundown.  I felt a little pity partyish but not really sure why.  I was super conflicted... Didn't like anything about myself.  I am up 12lbs.... well more like 10lbs today.  My healing is good...my breasts are HUGE... did I say MASSIVE? I mean MASSIVELY HUGE!  I literally feel like I have two massive hunks of meat stuck on my chest.  They are swollen... and I was overweight going in and I do remember Dr. D saying he wasn't going to waist one ounce of my beautiful mommy pouch.... "we'll just use up all that great stuff"... He did seem rather excited and I was clueless.

So I have my two hip drains... they have drastrically reduced output every day this week.  They are each at about 25/30 per day.  I feel ugly and restricted... I feel like it's going to be a long time before I get to do what I want and what makes me most happy... mountain biking.  It just seems so far away.  

My incision is good... Hubby said this morning that the glue is starting to break up a little... I'm not sure but I wonder if that means he should start betadine-ing it now... All the doctors are different I guess and he was told to only betadine the hip drains.... once the glue is gone then do the abd drain.

I'm not as weepy today... but I am bummed... I don't even want to think of having a Stage 2. It's a little weird... my positive upbeat self which I seemed to have post op has turned into a bit of a doom and gloom these last few days.