Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2013

Cherrie,  So happy to hear you are back on this side.  Sorry for the pain and feeling nauseous. Know how you feel.  Yes, it will pass.  At least you are up and taking nourishmentWink  Hope your ride home isn't to bad.  Have any drains?

Keep in touch.  Linda

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Cherrie, did I miss your posts? Where did the last 2 days go? Oh right... Hang in there, it gets better. The first 2 days were really rough which makes me really appreciate where I am now.

Kristen. I do not usually get migraines. I think it was the meds or anesthesia. I can't remember what they are giving me for it but it works but I have to take it every 4 hours because I feel it break through.

I had a shower and thought about Jennifer's description of excasty. I feel sooooo much better.

You all might think this is weird but I asked the nurse to take a photo of everything so I can look at it later and see how far I've progressed. I did it after the shower when all the tape comes off.

They said I could go home Saturday or Sunday. I am going to see if they will let me stay through Sunday and discharge in the morning.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Marsha - I know how you are feeling.  I had a hematoma and had to go back into surgery.  While I was under, they gave me 2 units of blood.  I felt like a whole new person when I woke up.  Sounds like you have progressed remarkably well.  You really need to clarify with the nurse - I don't think that they will let you go home when you are discharged.  I think they probably mean Hope Lodge or a hotel.  

Cherrie, baby - soooo sorry about the nausea.  I tossed my cookies all night after Stage 2a.  I hope you are feeling better this morning.

Maggie - Dr. M loves her lymph node team at one of the Chicago hospitals.  I am so happy that she is going to go ahead and get that behind you.  Long drive, though.

Linda - nice hearing from you on the board.  Been a while.  You have been having too much fun.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Rough night! Couldn't hold down anything. Feeling better now. Will try water and see how that goes. Cross your fingers.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

I'm gettin a blood transfusion today.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Hope this makes you feel better Marsha.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013

Marsha - I had 3 units of blood day after my stage 1. (Blood pressure was 60.). It helped immensely. Looks like you'll be staying a while longer? My surgery was on a Wednesday and they finally kicked me out Sunday evening.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2013

Hey ladies.... Cherrie... hope your pain get's under control..... Marsha... I'm so glad you have gotten pics.... I have taken a lot and am hoping some day I will be brave enough to post on the picture forum.

Anyone know what the number is to call NOLA off hours.... thinking I can pull a drain.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

for me Betsy it is part of my everyday life to have to wear compression arm sleeve and glove.  No hot baths which I beyond ad ore with a good glass of wine too.  Everywhere I go I stared down from my sleeve thing.  My left arm always hurts and feels like it weighs 100 lbs.  If I did not have these symptoms daily I really would not think about doing the surgery.  Some PT's have never heard of it--in fact many docs have never heard of it.  If you continue to have problems with it and as you mentiond QOL diminishes that I would say go fo it.  Dr M does them on people born with lymphedema too.  Some studies have shown the success rate for imporving the QOT is 98% (ie no need for daily compression)  Perhaps you can take some info to your therapist about what the procedure is and it's benefits.  She would prob appreciate the info

Cherrie---sorry you feel so yucky.  hope it passes soon

Maggie-2

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Marsha, good luck with your transfusion today.  So glad that the hematoma was dealt with and you could resolve the problem!  I brought a mix of my favorite serene transcendental tunes that I had put together for my first biopsy, and after Stage I, I remember hallucinating vividly to it!  All of the music was growing like plants in my mind and I felt I had attained a personal connection to Bjork's Biophilia album even though I've not listened to it.  Yay for good drugs when we need them!

Chelle, I'm planning a winter surgery and found myself just wanting to get it over with!  I'm going to stick with winter though since BC so rudely stole the summer of 2012 from me.

Cherrie, I hope you turn the corner soon!  Best wishes.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Cherrie...happy healing thoughts and hoping for no pain!!!!

Marsha..you are on one "trip" with the meds! Your posts make me laugh!!!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

emailed Laura yesterday again regarding my little hole. She called me in an antibiotic just to be safe. I hope I'm not immune..seems like in the last 2 yrs. with all these surgeries, Ive had way too many!!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Mags... I don't really have LE... but had cellulitis and want to avoid it. I do have some fluid buildup, so technically I guess it is LE, but I don't feel it. I think bringing info to my PT is a good idea.

Booked my plane for November. Flying in the 20th, out the 26th.. I will get home in time for Thanksgiving.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

I have an abundance of chocolate. Any lurkers checked into SCSH should make themselves known so I can send you a gift.

Everyone says my color looks better since my transfusion. I got a compression binder Today. Wearing my "Betsy pants" from target, they feel so good.

Had an excellent shamanic journey last night with HemiSync music. Fun stuff. I hid my ambien until I was done and took it later and slept in.

I want to schedule stage 2 after Jan 10. Who is with me! Lets make it a party!

Marsha

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Marsha you sound great. Your humor is back. My pain is not an issue anymore. In fact I am halving my Dilauded from 2 to 1 every four hours. I had some Vernor's and crackers a while ago. So far so good.

Maggie you are so fortunate to be in the hands of your doctor who has been doing these transfers. Many people have never heard of it. I hope you get the relief you're looking for. May should be a nice time in the Windy City.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Cherrie...you sound better...hang tough

just got back from er here in town....they drained off the seroma...woot woot.  I took a chance that they would do it not knowing as they are affiliated with the hospital that kicked me out the other day.  I was in so much pain and it was pressing on my lower back (felt like my spine) so I had to go.  The doc there was willing to call Dr M and talk to her about it and poof...30 minutes later 420 cc out of my butt--youch!  I feel so much better now. Tomorrow I will know if we are going north the following week....whew...never a dull moment

Marsha---glad I am NOT there right now.  I would be coming in and stealing all your chocolate ;)

Maggie-2

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Cherrie & Marsha, so glad you both turned the corner for the better. I thought for sure I wanted the pain med regime Jennifer was on but Marsha yours sounds just as great! Maybe they'll let me alternate. And I don't think it's weird at all with the pictures. I'm going to do the same thing. It's important for me to remember. I'm going to try to journal a little too.

Maggie, do what you feel in your heart. You've been through soooo much you should not feel you are settling. And you know your going to the best in the world.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE!!!!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Chocolate!?! Marsha just let me know what room number your in & hide it under the bed, I'll sneak in & get it when I'm there on the 21st!

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2013

Cherrie sorry for the delayed response. Yes I feel 100% two years out. I felt 100% 6 months out and then I had stage 2 done and started over. Stage 2 was way easier for me. Today it all feels like a distant memory. One that i remember very well. I recall the post op days when I thought I would never stand up straight again!

To all in the midst of treatment.......hang in there it will get better.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

Last night was rough. My pain is NOT under control and they are going to make me leave today. They got me comfortable the first night when I felt like this with Demerol but now they won't give it to me and say I'm going to hurt. I am mobile and did a bunch of laps trying to loosen up my bowels because my belly is distended. I'm afraid I'm going to get all torn up. My head, back, belly, and incisions hurt and I am terrified.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2013

Be sure to ask for warm prune juice to get things moving! So sorry the pain is not controlled. Hopefully someone can chime in with suggestions.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

Marsha, I thought these folks were really good at pain management. Are you still in a lot of pain even with good meds?  I hope you turn the corner soon.  

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Marsha - have you called your Dr to help with either the pain or extended stay until pain under control?

I cannot imagine them sending you on your way on that much pain!

Hoping you can contact your Dr ASAP !

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Marsha

I was kept an extra day due to pain issues from Stage 2. Your doc just needs to justify to insurance.

If you cant stay, you should get a detailed plan of pain control.

What are the med profs suggestion for constipation issues which will be consequence of taking pain meds. Hoping you get everthing resolved so you can start healing comfortably.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

YOu should ask to see the doctor on call....I got an extra night after stage I due to a fever... I am almost 100% sure this has to do with insurance. After stage IIb for me, I wasn't ready to leave and they said I could stay but they couldn't gurantee insuracne would pay for it... and then that would be an issue for me... so I left. I was fine.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Marsha..I am so sorry that you are in so much pain...that ab incision is a doozie for sure.  Part of the belly swell is from the surgery and your lymphs trying to figure out how to recover.  The prune juice can be magical.  Hope they find a pain med that will take care of you

Surgery MAY 22nd in Chicago.  No more LE!!!  I almost cannot believe this is happening so quickly.  Dr M explained that we should do this surgery 1st as I had that terrible cellulitis infection in the skin around the flap after the last surgery.  Stage 2 may do the same thing if my LE is not more controlled.  Made sense to me so I am scrambling to find hotel and such....so expensive in the big cities...ah well did I mention NO MORE LE!!!

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Maggie, where in Chicago is your surgery? Masonic?? Try Rays Buck Town B and B. We almost stayed there.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

My nausea and pain is gone. Don't even need pain meds, however I am sooo sleepy. Can't keep my eyes open. What's up with that??

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

*LIKE*

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Yay Cherrie!!! Marsha so sorry!!!