Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2013

Marsha, that totally sucks.  You've been through a lot, and you deserve to feel crappy about it and grieve for as long as it takes. In time you will find your way. I am so sorry. they always say there are "risks" with any surgery. I am so sorry that you had this happen to you. 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Marsha..I know you will keep us posted. I'm glad you are on top of things. Healing thoughs coming your way!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Marsha, I'm so glad you're proactive & didn't just ignore things. You're a very strong woman, Look at all you've accomplished. Stay strong for your son & vent to us, we're here for you!

Got all smurfed up today by Dr D. What a fun guy! The driver said the ladies call him Dr Shoe because of his fancy shoes. I kept looking down when he was talking to me, probably thought I was falling asleep. Nice shoes though.

Heading in at 7 am tomorrow. I'll try to touch base when I can (from the other side -finally!) Thanks for all your support.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Barb... Its funny cause we have often talked about his shoes... I even told him 2 years ago how we talk about his fancy shoes... Lately, we have talked about his fancy cars.

About TSA, I also sort of welcome the swipe of the bulb... I am a "better safe than sorry" thinker.  Small price to pay for safety in the air.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Barb- We are all thinking of you. Keep us posted.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2013

Audrella...hope you and the others in Oklahoma are safe tonight.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

ssla01...thank you for checking on the Okies around here :)

I'm in Tulsa and we were completely spared.  Sadly, Moore, which is about an hour southwest of us got hit HARD.  Two schools, neighborhoods, 31 square miles were impacted.  The death toll is 51, 20 of which are children :(  The death toll is expected to rise in the coming days. It's so incredibly sad to see the devastation..entire neighborhoods literally flattened. What's worse, is this is the SECOND time that Moore has been hit by a catastrophic tornado.  14 years ago, a tornado touched down there that killed 36 and caused more than a billion dollars in damage. 

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

Thanks everyone for your acknowledgment. I am moving in to accepting that my vision loss is permanent. I left a message with an occupational therapy group that helps people adjust to low vision with adaptive tools, exercises and such. I'm moving into problem solving mode, which is what I do best.

Barb, hope all is going well with you. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

I pulled my last drain today. I stopped my pain meds 3 days ago and I'm just on ibuprofen.

My son missed the bus so I had to walk him to school. I don't feel it's safe to drive until I see the eye doctor again, but I did learn that I only need 20/40 in one eye for a drivers license in Virginia. However I'm still afraid to drive. The total walk was 1 mile and I stopped and sat on a curb to rest for a while on the way back. It sucked, but I wanted to know I could do it. I figured I was supposed to be walking anyway. My son instinctively grabbed my hand as we crossed the busy streets and I told him that he needed to watch out for me and he did.

My sleep is all messed up. I could not sleep in the hospital, then slept for 17 hours, then could not sleep all of last night. I'm going to try switching my prednisone to the night time and see how that works. I zonked today after I took half a dose but only for an hour.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Marsha, your son sounds like a sweetheart! I still treasure the thoughts of my son's (who is a Marine and has been in Iraq twice - so not so little!!) hand walkiing with him. And, so poignant to think he listened to you so well to watch for both of you!!! You must be a fantastic mom! AND I gotta tell you, I might just have let him stay home from school, so that gets even more Kudos!!!! One mile, so close to surgery - you are one tough cookie!

I know this does not compare (nor could anyone compare to or with) to your ordeal with your vision, but one of my BFF's had a cataract removed, she panicked, they didn't sedate her enough, she moved her head and her arm as a needle was going into her eye to sedate it or whatever they would do to stick a needle (can't imagine that even) in her eye and bottom line, she lost vision in her eye. It devastated all of us (there are 6 of us that are BFF's since junior high) and especially her. That was 2 years ago. She has, however, taken the bull by the horns and has done what you seem to be doing - making the most of a terrible situation. The only reason I bring this up right now is that her fear of driving was up front on the list of things she was upset about. She had planned a trip with one of the other BFF's and it was to the NorthEast (she lives in AZ) to look at the colors of the leaves. She was supposed to do the driving. It turns out that with a lot of practise and patients she is able to drive and just learned to compensate for the eye that the Retina has been permanently damaged. I hope that info is helpful in knowing that the driving probably will be scary at the beginning but you are such a strong lady that it will become easier and easier each time you do it!

Thank you for sharing about your son's hand crossing the street, it brought back my memories of my son's little hand and that is a good thought for the day! How precious!

Praying each day becomes easier for you! And, wow, just Ibuprofen!!!! I'm almost 6 weeks out and I'm just ditching the pain meds so I can drive if Hospice calls and tells me I need to get there quickly! You are truly an inspiration!

Big hugs

Catie

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Oh such a bittersweet day!! Thinking of Oklahoma and the devastation. My oldest is graduating today and I got both hip drains out. Laura gave me the ok yesterday but waited until today and my local ps pulled them. Didn't hurt at all! Was so glad about that.

Marsha... I am still hoping that you will get some vision loss back. You are strong an have support with us! Thinking of all of you and so thankful for this board and all of you!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Marsha.. I'm sure the steroids are messing your sleep up. My friend had to take them for along time during her treatment for cancer and had to take sleeping pills because they kept her awake and gave her mood swings.:(

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

Had my pre op nuclear lymph sscan an visit with dr m...wow she is hot!!! She is going to try to fix my bum first..seroma is getting hard and skin is purplish color...then as long as no complications she will proceed with the lymph transfer. Return ofthe drains. Will leave surgery with 3 and hopefully 2 willbe gone before we get home...will be flying with a drain...yuck! Will ck ba k in as soonas I can

Marsha..your son is a doll baby!

Just found out my dil's aunt (who she is very close to) has bc. My dil and son come back from mexico tomorrow and will find out. Worst thing is she just gave birth to a baby girl yesterday--the aunt that is. So sad. Bc sucks!

Maggie-2

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Mags..so sorry and sad to hear about that..I had my drains removed yesterday and woke up this am and fluid leaked from drain hole all over. I'm worried! I go back to ps here on Thursday. He will aspirate if needed. ugh!! I'v been wearing compression 24/7. Is there anything else I should do?

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

Russell, I know you have probably contacted your Dr, but I have heard of that happening and subsiding pretty much on it's own. BUT again, we are all different - hate to think anything any of us say is taken without talking to your Dr.

I had 2 seromas from my SGAP last year and neither of them leaked on their own, they were aspirated by a local PS but with a needle. Thinking it might be different with a drain area?? Hoping it subsides soon!

Silly thing that I found with my seromas is that they seemed to get larger and annoying the more physical I was during the day!? If that makes any sense???

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Melanie... I wouldn't worry. The same thing happened to me. And only for a day or so. Its actually good that it came out the drain hole. If it were trapped, that is when you develop the seroma.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Hello from the other side!!! Today I walked around my room a lot, sat up in the chair for a few hours, drank a pina colada slushie (yummy), emptied my drains myself (spilled one all over), got rid of my cath & pain pump, Hooray! Was going to hit the hallway but don't want to overdo it. They were able to spare my nipples but rightie doesn't look too good & feels a little cold. They cut holes in my bra to let them "breathe". I'm hoping for the best. Having a damn hard time doing that stupid inspirometer, it makes me cough, but I know it's important.

This place really is wonderful! They're a little miffed on why Angelina Jolie didn't come here, especially since they have a home here.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Angelina will come when her implants need replacing... just wait for it.

Barb... you sound great. Don't push too hard. Slow and steady.

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Thanks Catie and Betsy!!! I haven't called ps yet because I see him tomorrow. I added spanx shorts over the garment I have from surgery. Hoping it does resolve. I walked alot yesterday at my son's graduation.

Barb...you are sounding wonderful and hoping your rightie will cooperate!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Melanie - Take a clean washcloth, fold it in half both ways and put it over the drain opening to add compression to just that area.  It should work better than the spanx.  It will also absorb any further leaks.  The wash cloth can either be washed in hot water with bleach or tossed.  I think most of us have needed a bit of extra compression in a leaky area and washcloths are really useful.

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

Marty - I went to Walmart when I was in for stage 1a and bought a dozen white (bleach able) washcloths and have brought them with me for every stage since! One if those 'gotta have' things for surgery for me. First needed them after wasn't able to have more than the first shower b/c of wound vac so had to sponge bathe and wanted more than supplied at Hope Lodge (also a bit of a germ- a-phobe then). But used (after washing them lol) to use under spanx type briefs just like you just told Russell!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Oh great idea! Thanks Martyj:)

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Hello all surgery was 8 hours. All looks good so far..just had pain med so getting loopy..staying an extra night. 4drains yuck

Maggie 2

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Question- my last drain was pulled last Sunday. I have a half inch wide slit that is still open. I put dry dressing under compression. My dermatologist says it is not infected and is healing. Can I take a shower with this open incision? I want to do this right.

Yay Maggie!! Hope all goes great for you.

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Cherrie... Yes... you can shower just no baths...

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Thanks Betsie! I want this to heal. 😄😄

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2013

Barb & Maggie - Yeah - you have made it to the other side!

Barb - My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning so hopefully we can see each other.

Zandy should be in today.  Hope everything goes great.

I met with Dr. D this morning to plan for tomorrow.  Lots of blue marker!  The breast look pretty darn good from Stage 1.  He talked about making an incision under the right breast to do a little tweaking.  Then he will add some fat on the top of each boob.  He is also going to attempt to fix my port scar.  To fix the rear will be the intense part.  He talked about lipo all the way around - thighs, love handles, abs.  Then reopening the hip incisions and pulling the bottom up and moving the scar up.  He thinks surgery will take 4 hours.  I am scheduled for 9:00 in the morning.

Question for hip gals - Did you have lipo on your stomach area?  If so, did you have any complications?  Any downside?  Thanks for sharing.

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Glad to hear from you Mags!!! Cherrie.. Fluid is leaking from my drain sites and I've been compressing and added a washcloth over site. I shower and then apply neosporin to opening just like before.

Good luck ksue and Zandy! I have the same questions ksue:)

Marsha.. How are you doing? I hope better and better!

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Thanks. I just sent pics in to Dr. M. I was told to keep it dry and compress until further notice. It is not sore or red. I have had company for the last three days and more coming in on Friday. They will just have to help a little. I may have pushed myself too much. Cooking, cleaning, beds, laundry, etc.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Have 4drains...my behind had some serious work...hurts like heck...keeping me in hospital another night..need some pain meds!

Maggie 2

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Glad to hear from you Maggie. Take the pain pills and drink lots of water. Sleep well.