Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

As much as I like this place I'm totally ready to get out of here. My mom & I are getting cabin fever. I'm laughing so much I think I may blow a stitch. The nurses think we're nutty northerners.

Karen I hope to see you tomorrow, best of luck! I don't think I know Zandy's full name. Maybe I could just stand in the hallway & Marco Polo her - just kidding Zandy. Hope things went well & you're feeling comfortable.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Ksue... I had ab lipo (twice)... I think its a good thing, but its a personal choice. The second time was better than the first... Its looking good now.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

Mags...Hang in there:)

Got back from ps and squirted fluid on him showing him how it's coming out! So imbarrasing, but he laughed and handed me some gauze:) he said to keep compressing and wants to see me back on Tuesday. So lucky to have his care! I told him Mags trouble with getting a dr. To help and he said that's not right.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2013

HA!  You have a good one, Russell!  

You are sounding good, Barbmal!  

Hang in there, Maggie! 

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2013

Russell - I am glad that you have someone to help you.  Nothing worse than not being able to have someone you can trust to help when you need it. 

Barb - glad to hear you are doing so well.  I am up at 9:00 in the morning.  Dr. D expects surgery to take 4 hours.

Getting a little nervous but ready to get it done.  Going to take a Xanex and go to bed!

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Sleep well and looking forward to hearing from you on the other side ksue!

• zandy
    zandy Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013

Hi NOLA ladies!

I am here at SCSH...not sure of the room number as I haven't left the room yet!

I would guess those of you that are here may well have seen my husband Andy roaming the halls :)

Had stage 2 of my bilat hip flap this morning. All went well according to Dr S and I'm not *that* sore (we'll see about that tomorrow when I'm up and about). Hips/butt are are sore but breasts aren't at all...and NO DRAINS!! I don't need to tell you how thrilled I was about that!

maybe see you in the halls tomorrow?

Suzanne (my actual name!)

• KSue
    edited May 2013

Yeah, Zandy (Suzanne).  I am up this morning.  Hopefully, we can touch base.  I am also getting ready for Stage 2 surgery this morning.  Better sign off and get with it.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Thinking of you KSue.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

KSue - thinking of you.  Rest well!

Zandy - sounds like you are havig a great recovery!

Maggie - 8 hours?  Wow, did y'all do lunch?  Glad all went well.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Russell, kudos on the local PS!!!! I had one that kept telling me I'd be deformed forever and thats why he didn't do that kind of surgery - so not going back to him!!! I am in the land of Trams!

Were you able to confirm with the PS that it was okay to shower with your leaking problem and open drain hole??? Just to make sure? I know I had to wait until it was closed before getting it wet so used one of those bandaids that was waterproof but big enough to cover the whole area that was open - just for the shower, then took it off trying not to get any water in it, but your PS may be different - so just wondering!?

Marco Polo sounds cute

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Catie...He said I was fine to shower:) Just no baths:) Just keeping my fingers crossed I don't get seromas!!!

Zandy..you are sounding great!

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

Russell, it would sound like you wouldn't get the seromas if the fluid is leaking out of you! That makes it not contained inside of you!!!! Might be a blessing in disguise? I don't know. I've had seromas and they are doable - just the fear of getting them is the hard part. Now, Maggie has had a painful large (420cc) one, so I'm not talking that mine were that big when first aspirated (and I think I have the right name and quantity, forgive me if I don't - so many names, so many numbers LOL). So, I wouldn't worry about it, just take it as it comes, but if you are doing everything they say to do, hopefully it will be avoided.

So glad you asked the PS. They know best and don't want to gunk it up at this stage!!!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Hi all,

I have been away for a few days, turned to my side for the first time and ended up getting vertigo in the middle of the night. Wow is that ever trippy!!! I am just now starting to get it under control, I start back to work on Tuesday and hope my 4 day week isn't too bad.

Good luck to the girls going in next week and the girls who made it to the other side this week sound great, keep up the good work :)

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

By the way, now that the swelling is going down on the flap side it is getting smaller than my other side.

I am ok with the smaller side but want to know what wil the dr do to even it out?

Will a lift on my opposite side be enough without having to put any fat into the flap side?

I want as little tweaking as possible to make it symmetrical. Any ideas/suggestions?

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

I'M FREE!! They called the hotel & got an ok for us to check in early. I scooted out around 11 so sorry I didn't get to see you NOLA gals. I did ask a gentleman walking around if his name was Andy but he said no.

I started getting those strange vibrations in my breasts. Glad a few of you talked about it earlier or I'd still be fumbling around for a hidden cell phone. Weird!

I think my right nipple may make it. I really think it's looking better. Unfortunately they cut big holes in the bras for the nip to pop out & have no pressure on it. I feel like a burlesque show gal. My hubby will probably want me to keep them.

Have a comfortable day.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

Got released from hospital today. Then straight to dr m office for therapy. All looks good...she really had to work on my butt. Sudabursa I believe she called it. Related to not being able to wear compression to save the flap last time. Hurts to sit..but standing ok just still woosy from meds..therapy everyday til I go home next week then more once home. Arm is wrapped like a mummy. This hospital was def not at all like st charles..we get spoiled there.

Time for a nap

Maggie

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

My heart is so sad. My dil's aunt gave birth to a baby girl on monday which is fabulous. Last friday she found out she has bc. It is a very large tumor at almost 10cm and has gone to her lymph nodes. She is starting chemo next week and is getting a pet scan too. Wth!!!! It is not fair!

Maggie

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Oh Maggie... so sorry. Makes you wonder if pregnancy and all the hormonal changes may have encouraged the cancer. Prayers your way.

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Catie...yes that's a good thing for now but ps says those holes will eventually close up. I keep pushing fluid out of them if I'm pretty active.

Mags..praying for your dil's aunt. No it isn't fair:( So curious about your lymph node transfer and hoping it resolves your lymphadema:)

Barb...Yay for the right nipple and your story about the bra is cracking me up!! Yes save it!!!

• Catie2013
    edited May 2013

Russell there is a correlation IMHO to activity and fluid in seromas and it seems in your case the drain exit site! Hoping yours heals w/o the seroma SE!

Maggie so sorry about DIL aunt - will include her and her family in prayers as well'

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Mags,

Good to hear from you so soon and with good spirits. The pain we so bravely endure really stinks, but you will have a beautiful butt in the end. (sans the damn seroma, too)

I'm sure no hospital can compare to NOLA. Were you able to get a private room?

Being an LNT patient myself, I'm curious how that part of surgery went? How does your neck donor site feel? Where are your four drains? Is your arm wrapped 24/7, except to take off to shower everyday? Does a PT-CLT do your daily massage or Dr M?

Sorry so many questions especially so soon and the narcs probably making head fuzzy. Rest and take care!

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

I have a drain in my neck alomg the donor site..not real painful anymore..just irritating. Underarm also has a drain...same as neck..m7nimal pain the other two drains are in my hip from the extensive work she did in there. Had my bottom not been done this would be a piece of cake. I am wrapped. I can unwrap to shower then go to office to see Meagan for mld and rewrap. Dr m requests a private room so I did have one

Mqggie

• Russell1
    edited May 2013

Geez Mags...you are so amazing & strong!! Big hugs !!! 😘

Catie.. ..thanks!!!

• bdavis
    edited May 2013

Quiet on here.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2013

Happy Holiday Weekend everyone!!

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Feeling better everyday. Walked around the city yesterday..down Michigan--lots of people spending lots of money. Walked to office today for my appt...just over two miles r/t. Takin only tylenol and motrin. Cant wait to play this week in the city. My lymph flap is doing well so far...staying soft! Dr m says my arm already looks better!!! 6 more nights and then home! Have a great weekend!

Maggie 2

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

Where are you staying Maggie? Are you shopping? I love the big 3 story bookstore. So much to do there, but expensive.

My DIL accepted a job in Seattle, WA. My son will be on the west coast and my daughter lives in Chesapeake on the east coast. I am having a very difficult time with this. Cant stop the tears. I guess my grandchildren won't be running over to grandma's for milk and cookies. So sad for me. Both places are nice to visit, but I won't be moving there.

Dr. M called me today. I didn't expect this as it is a holiday weekend. 24/7 compression for two weeks, then night only for two weeks then I can skip cores scion all together. I have been compressing for 13 weeks straight already. I am doing well and my drain site is closing.

• KSue
    edited May 2013

Hey, everybody.  I feel like I am back in the land of the living.  Stage 2 was Friday.  We left the hospital after dinner on Saturday and moved to the Homewood Suites.  Stage 2 pain is definitely different than stage 1.  The pain pills were making me sick to my stomach so I have just taken prescription strength tylenol today and have done okay.  Pretty much just laying around in bed.  If I lay still, the pain is not bad. 

Barb & Zandy - sorry I didn't see you.  Hope you are both continuing to do well.

Mags - glad to hear that you are doing well! You deserve it.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

We are at the embassy suites on state st. Hubby loves the free 2hr open bar!

Sorry your babies are moving cherrie :( Compression is crappy! I asked her how long yesterday and her reply was--for you....for freaking ever and laughed ...I like seeing her everyday without being in the hospital!