Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Marsha, might be a drug problem with the not seeing from one eye, but disturbing to me - have you told your doc this? I have never heard of this side effect and at the very least would call your pharmacist and ask if there was any inter reactions that would cause this SE. Very serious stuff i would think??

Hope you make your connections and are seeing again soon.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

One drain pulled Cherrie! Yay!!

It feels good to know we seem to all have naked pics😄

Mags...this one is going to go smooth!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013

I'm cutting back on fiorecet to see if I can see better. Have not mentioned it. Afraid they are going to cut my pain meds. I'm allergic to so many things and I feel no pain.

Ahhhh in my own bed. Flight was delayed 2 hours due to weather so couldn't see my baby tonight. Will see him tomorrow after school and go to Cub Scout advancement ceremony. I am a den leader but I will not be standing up front. Screw that ugly uniform. I am wearing something with cleavage.

Only problem is AC is not cooling upstairs. Called my worthless warranty co to charge my AC unit . You think there is a hole in the line? Naaaaa could not be, only the 5th time called out for this. Maybe 8ll call someone else. Might be cheaper to get them to fix it.

First order of priority tomorrow...get naked photo off of iPhone.

Don t need that showing up,on the Apple TV. I wonder if the center will send me my photos they took. I deleted my before,photos and I regret that now.

I have some ugly bruises. I think one of my breasts is larger. The one they drained the hematoma. Still looks pretty awesome and I know it's too,soon to tell. I love love love them. I love the size, the shape. They'd are so pretty. I can't wait to go bra shopping. And pants shopping when swelling goes down.

I managed the bath in my claw foot tub. Kept water under my incision line and dumped with cup from tap. Feel pretty good. House looks great. I arranged my housekeeper to come while I was away and my lawn service. I love it when I come home to a clean house. All sorts of spring flowers In bloom.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2013

Fabulous!!!

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013

so I posted on here several months ago about my 25 year old daughter, Emily, who was diagnosed with BC in both breast two weeks after her wedding.  she underwent a bi lateral mastectomy, did 6 cycles of chemo, 25 rads.  She is heading to NOLA on June 7th for a June 11th reconstruction,  I hope and pray she has enough fat for them to do it, she went from 120 to 109 during chemo, is up to 115 right now.  her husband will be with her during and after surgery, but has to leave before she can come home, I will be flying in on the 15th to bring her home on the 18th. 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited May 2013

djfrro -- She'll be with the best. My daughter, too had cancer (before I did) but was fortunate and only had chemo, rads and lumpectomy. Best wishes to you all ... keep posting. This is a forum of great support, humor, compassion and wonderful stories. 

Maggie-1

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013

Hi Ladies,

I still have hip drains going on my 7th week which have been producing an average of 30cc's for the last 4 days. I've had no real complications other than one of my drain sites feels a little irritated but looks ok.  I chalk that up to keeping up with a very active 5 year old. I called Dr. S's office and was told I could pull both on Monday.  I read that some of you ladies still have drains even though your daily output is under 30cc's (I think I read that right).  I wondered why I was given the ok to pull drains when some you were advised to keep yours? 

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Djfrro, best of luck to Emily.  In a likelihood she will have enough fat from somewhere, and if not, they can stack the flaps from multiple donor sites.

PerryDawnB, I think it not only varies from doc to doc, but patient to patient.  I was told after both stage 1 and 2, that I could pull them when they were producing less than 20ccs for two days in a row, or at 4 weeks, whichever is first.  Both Jeanine and Laura said at 4 weeks they need to be pulled no matter what they are producing.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

I took your advice and asked about the vision and Laura said to see an eye doctor. The eye doctor wanted me to come in right away and in waiting to be displayed. I can not see anything out of my right eye under the bottom 80%. It's like a curtain is over it. I'm terrified I've lost my vision. Wtf. This is just too much.

It might be related to the migraines I developed the night of my surgery. I never had them before and the fiorecet helps them.

I'm only 43. This is just ridiculous. I Just took a vallium but I am not calm.

• m1970
    edited May 2013

Dialated not displayed. Damn autocorrect

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

djfrro,

The NOLA docs shouldn't have any problem reconstructing your daughter's breasts even though she is so thin.

I went to another reknowned microsurgeon in U.S.  He was able to create a B cup for me, and that is because I chose only to have an SGAP -- no stacked flaps surgery, because I didn't want to have scars in front and back.   As thin as I am, a B cup is proportional and comfortable for me.

At the time of my first surgery, I weighed 118 lbs, and am 5'6" tall.  (During radiation, I was down to 113, but was able to gain 5 lbs before surgery).  Of course we all carry our fat differently so surgeon will know what is best.

Your daughter will be in great hands, and the NOLA docs will find the fat/tissue to make her beautiful breasts.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2013

djffro...the best to your family!  She will do great

perry--think it depends on the procedure you had too.  My gap flap drain was removed at 7 1/2 weeks and was producing too much but doc said pull due to infection risk.  That is where my huge recurring seroma comes from! My diep drains last Nov last year were only in for 4 wks and no problems at all with seroma.  Guess my behind is just juicy-haha

Maggie-2

• PerryDawnB
    PerryDawnB Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013

Audrella, thanks for the input.  I am actually dreaming about getting these drains out.  They have been the worst part of Stage 1 for me.

Maggie-2, LOL!!!  My husband says the same thing about my butt. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2013

It's the little things. Last night Dr. M said to pull one drain. I had that sucker out within 5 min. Today, I had my last Lovenox injection. I think my husband likes to give those. Hoping to pull next drain by the end of the week to fit in a nice dress for a wedding.

Marsha- let us know about your eye. I am glad you went in. Is Valium being taken on top of pain killers too. Be careful. Drug interactions can have SE's.

DJffro-please keep us posted on how your daughter is doing. We're all cheering for her.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2013

DJffro, like everyone said, I bet they'll find fat somewhere. I am so sorry such a young woman has to go through all this! Honestly. I have two daughters. 21 and 24 this summer. And their Aunt on my husband's side was dx'd at age 27. We are very torn about what to do in terms of survallience. There are 2 places in the US that now have Contrast Enhanced Spectral mamorgrapy (CESM) and one is in NC, but that would still mean radiating young breast tissue, it's like a mammogram but with contrast, so you can see a lot more, even dense tissue, and is supposedly about 10% the cost of an MRI (that would have no radiation). ugh.  

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited May 2013

I'm at almost 5 weeks with my hip drains. I have Dr. Sullivan. The right one has produced under 20cc for 2 days..I want to pull this SOB!!!!! Should I pull it? Help!!!

Marsha..I had blurry vision from the patch behind my ear and the pain meds. It went away after the patch was removed and meds were given less. Try and take less if you can.

Djfrro..Your daughter will get beautiful breasts! She stll has some time to eat really fattening food before she goes to get back to her 120lb. They will find the fat:)

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Russel--I would wait for doc to say to pull....this coming from the girl with the big a** seroma.  (sorry) ;)

Maggie-2

• m1970
    edited May 2013

I went to see an ophthalmologist who said I had Optic Neuritis. He referred me to an neurological ophthalmologist who won't see me until Monday. It's unknown what causes this. It could take 12 weeks to resolve. They will give me steroids. I'm afraid I don't know how long I've really had it because I was so out of it before them. I started to notice when I was more active the day before I went home. I'm afraid I'm going to loose my vision. They did dial ate me and said my retina was not detached. I don't know why this stuff happens to me.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everyone on this thread. Between the drugs and not really being able to see fully and so very tired. This is just crazy.

I want to get retested for lime disease. There is a special lab for it. I've had IBS for a year and every test imaginable and they don't know what it is. We looked up this eye thing and it came up as a possible reason.

Seriously this shit is just not funny anymore. I have a job I need to return to and a little boy to raise. I am 43 and single. I don't know why this stuff happens to me.

Sorry for the rant. I know this is off topic. Just my life apparently.

• mags20487
    edited May 2013

Marsha--sending a big virtual hug to you.  The complications can really wear us down for sure.  I am so sorry that you must deal with this on top of everything else.

Maggie-2

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited May 2013

Sorry to hear that Marsha. I hope things get resolved soon...... You can rant and rave anytime.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

djffro... I remember when your daughter was diagnosed and you hoped she would come to NOLA if it came to that.... I am sure it will all work out. As you know they are the best. Are you guys sharing surgeons? I can't remember who you had...And I will miss you by a couple of weeks. Summer of 2011 was a blur for me since I was down in NOLA so much... did you have your surgery in July or August?

Marsha... sorry about your eye.. bummer:(

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013

Djffro -

I think you'll be amazed at how creative skilled micro surgeons who do free flaps can be in finding fat in very tiny people. Pink was tiny and it has worked for her.

I have finally persuaded my little sister (BC, lumpectomy and rads 6 yrs ago at age 39) to consult with my surgeon this summer. This surgery is a long process and not an easy one, but I personally am so grateful to have had it. Like your daughter, my little sister is very tiny, runs marathons and never eats sugar, so I have the same concerns as you. But we're keeping our fingers crossed. I will keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.

• Catie2013
    Catie2013 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2013

Marsha, so glad you got to the eye Doc for your eyes. I've not heard of anyone having that as a side effect of the surgery or Meds, so very glad you had it checked out.

I am hoping this is all happening at once and that you can soon put ALL of it to bed and that it can get ALL better quickly! You are headed in the right direction going to get it checked out by the Opthamologist for sure -

I was 46 and a single mother, so know the feeling when I had my first go round with BC - this too will pass and hoping you have many better years ahead of you!!!!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2013

PerryDawn - the length of time for drains does differ surgeon to surgeon.  I had Dr. D and kept one drain in for about 8 weeks and one for 8 /2 weeks.  I hated it but I didn't collect any fluid after removal so they served their purpose.  I sure hope that they come out sooner after Stage 2!

Marsha - hang in there!  I am saying a prayer for you and sending some healing vibes/stength your way!

Russell - call the center before removing to get the okay!  

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013

Hello wonderful NOLA ladies!  I have a tummy question.  My stomach has been tight since SX, but in the morning I would be okay and it would only get really uncomfortable if I ate a big dinner or drank a lot of water.  Now, when I get up it already feels as if I have already eaten a burrito dinner and is VERY uncomfortable and tight.  I have lost weight (just a couple of pounds) since the original DIEP four months ago and am walking now.  THANK YOU!!!

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Could you have a seroma or a hernia? You may need to go to your helper doctor and get this checked out. Are you wearing compression? Please get this checked.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited May 2013

Hi ladies - I'm back from lurking for a while.  I had the SNB and decided the local surgeon wasn't going to work out.  (Thanks for the staph infection!).  I have talked to several groups and Doctors.  I have decided to go with Dr. Massey at NOLA.  Surgery date is June 21 for BMX and reconstruction.  Here we go..........

Sharon

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013

Cherrie - thanks!  I don't think it is seroma since I am almost 4 months post-op.  When I see my GP for pre-op clearance I will ask her if she feels anything funny.  At least it keeps me from over eating! 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013

Heavenschild... could it be lymphatic fluid that is trapped by your incision? Perhaps some LE massage by a PT... This is my latest solution to many woes.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2013

Welcome Sharon! You will be in the best of hands with Dr. Massey.

Have you booked flight and lodging. If you have never been to New Orleans go early and have some fun. I really enjoyed my before surgery time. (Bourbon Street (once is enough), Steamboat on the Mississippi, swamp tour (personal favorite), great restaurants, WW 2 museum, etc

The Center is in the Garden District on the cable car line!