Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

I thought of that option today...waiting for her input. She may be able to do enough with the flaps and belly scar. Leaving the decision to her if she thinks its worth the wait. Was hoping to be all done this year not just for piece of mind but for insurance reasons, but not going to happen....just looking ahead to great things!

Maggie 2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2013

If she is lowering the ab scar, I am pretty sure drains are required.  I believe that is what she told me and sure enough, I woke up with hip drains.  Don't want to be a downer, but you have had so much big surgery since November a bit of time might be a great thing.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

Your not a downer maybe just realistic. My body and soul may need the break. =)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2013

Betsy, I had Dr Stollier and Dr. D., and was told by Dr. D., that they took the Fascia, FYI. let me know what you find out.

Mags, I had ab scar lowered (and I am VERY happy I did it, made a HUGE difference!) and had drains fer sher, FYI.

July!

July 8 - BDavis - Consult with Dr. D., NOLA.

July 10 - AnnAlive - Stage 2b, Dr. S., NOLA.

July 12 - Russell1 - Stage 2. 

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

how long were the drains there for the scar revision?  Wonder if she can do both out the right side and spare the left.  There is so much lumpiness/hardness in leftie I can't wait to have that fixed

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Maggie - my breast drains were out at 5 days.  The hips at 11.  But then, I am not as juicy as some people seem to be Wink.  To remove the dog ears, she extended the incision about an inch on each side and the drains came out about a half inch beyond the end.  Some docs apparently place the drains in the pubic area  following DIEP so that could be an option for you if it can be done after the scar is lowered.  She could also just work on the breasts.  Might be an easier surgery with some lipo for fat grafting?  Whatever happens, our wonderful doctor will do an excellent job.  

I so understand about the hard lumps.  I had a large one left from the hematoma.  It softened a bit over time and then she drilled some holes in what is left (I know that sounds odd, but that is what she said).  There is still some lumpiness there, but I have a feeling that I may be feeling some residual scar tissue from the capsular constricture.  Apparently the scar tissue was pretty extensive and will effect the final outcome in some ways, but I will have my own wonderful boobs.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2013

Thanks Dianne. I sent info on to my DD. She is having an ultrasound tomorrow. Deep breathing for sure.

My belly button is off by a half inch too. Oh well. I'm letting it slide.

Maggie, I am sure you are tired of all this. You have a great attitude.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2013

Thanks Beverly.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

To all the girls coming up wishing all the best!

Bdavis--I admire your strength to get the results you want! I am kind of in the wanna quit phase in my mind but you give me courage to finish what I started..thanks from me to all of you here

Maggie

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2013

I cannot remember how long the drains were there, but agree with Marty. Some people are very "juicy" and others are not. I was not, my drains always dried up and came out early. I have two friends whose doctors told them they were "juicers". A long time with the drains! 

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Aw Maggie... I know how you feel... Believe me, I have had very bad days. The day I was told I had a blood clot which gave me a bacterial infection all while my breast was leaking profusely and I had hip drains, now THAT was a bad day. But putting some time between those days and now helps to keep me focused on the end result and what I want.

Looking forward to seeing my favorite doctor next week... I do hope he tells me good news, like that he can absolutely even me up and add projection to the left breast (without an implant)... we shall see. Other than that visit with Dr D, I will be enjoying the city (heat and humidity aside). Flying to NOLA tomorrow!!

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

Safe travels Betsy...may your doc give what you ask!

Mags

• Cherrie
    edited July 2013

Just wanted to thank you for the many responses concerning my daughter. She had her breast lump ultrasounded today. The tech said it didn't appear to be a mass or a cyst, but a swollen lymph node. Of course the radiologist hadn't read it yet. It still makes me nervous, but my daughter feels comfortable. Has anyone ever heard of this???

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Lymph nodes swell for many many reasons... A virus in your system will make them swell... I had a node that was always swollen in my neck... But it turned out to be nothing.

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Cherrie, I had a swollen lymph node in the axilla about 2 years after my BMX.  It was not the side they took all of the nodes from.  My BS checked it and watched it.  Swelling went down a few weeks after and never bothered me since.  Glad your daughter is okay!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2013

When I was younger I had a lump in the axilla, gyn assumed it was swollen lymph node and was probably from a manicure or from a cut on my finger. She said call me if it's still there in 2 weeks.  It went away.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2013

Thanks for helping put my mind at rest. What would I do without my breast friends!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

Cherrie I am cheering for you and your daughter!! We are always here!!

Hugs all the way from Atlanta Smile

Safe travels Betsy!! Enjoy your visit to NOLA and I hope Dr. D can figure something out for you. My bet is that he can.

Chelle

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

dang drain spiked to 72.5 today...it has been 50 for almost a week errrrrr

Mags

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

So sorry Mags!!!! Hang in there. You've been through so much and are such a trooper!! Hugs!!

Pre-op done today and all my results will be faxed over by Monday. Hard to believe I leave in 3 weeks...yikes!!!! Talked to my doctor today and he will write the script for PT and said he will will do whatever he can to help me which made me feel better about that part. It's Georgia law that PT scripts have to come from a GA doctor, but said he would talk to NOLA and get the details and make it happen for me.

We were supposed to go to the mountains for the holiday, but I canned the trip due to the weather here. So I hope everyone has an amazing 4th and healing thoughts to all those recovering.

Chelle

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Cherrie, so glad your daughters news was good. Hopefully the lymph node will go back down quickly.

I'm still playing the drain game too. Dr. M. took one out at post op and I had the second breast drain removed today (day 12). The breast drains weren't very juicy. The hip drains are a whole other beast. I will likely have them several more weeks. I am feeling good and so happy with my results so far. I can't wait for all of the swelling and bruising to go away.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013

Have a great trip to NOLA Betsy.

Mags don't get too frustrated with those drains. As bad as they are the seromas are worse. I'm STILL waiting to get mine aspirated!

Cherrie, praying things keep heading in this positive direction for your daughter.

Chelle, thinking of you & your upcoming surgery. They'll fix you up beautifully!

Have a great July 4th everyone!!

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2013

Hi Everyone

I have n

• marcypt
    marcypt Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2013

Sorry hit the send button prematurely lol

I have not been on the site for a while and was trying to catch up.

I am heading down tomorrow to NOLA for my stage 2 with Dr .M was looking to see who may be down there

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

Betsy let me know what he says about the projection. Nice that you get to go down and enjoy yourself 😬😊💥💥💥HAPPY 4th EVERYONE !!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

Cherrie.. Hoping its just an enlarged node! I had those on my non cancer side and report read "benign appearing enlarged nodes" I had them biopsied because benign appearing wasn't 100% to me:: they were benign after biopsy ☀☀yay!!

• bdavis
    edited July 2013

Hi ladies... I arrived yesterday, July 3... Staying at the monteleone ... Love the location. We are in an executive suite, so there's a bedroom and living room. Very nice and love the rooftop pool.

The Quarter was crazy tonight. There is a music festival happening, so the city is quite busy... We walked thought the festival tonight which was on the river, but then went to grab dinner and missed the fireworks. Oops :(

Marcy. I PM'ed you. Good luck with stage 2. I assume it's tomorrow.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2013

Those dang drains! Our best friends, yet our worst enemy. They won't be in forever and we will have a freedom party here for you all when they come out.

Betsy, we stayed at the Monteleone too. Loved it. It is one of the most haunted hotels in the city. ((Boo!!)) interesting reads about the lobby and restaurant. Enjoy your time. I had a few cocktails on that roof top pool.

Sharon, are you still in NOLA? Say hi to Dr. M if you are.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Hi Cherrie. No, I am happily home. I left on July 1. I'm healing good ( I think ). I'm down to the two hip drains.

How is your daughter?

• galiarific
    galiarific Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2013

Hi all, I am new to this site (was recommended to this forum by the BRCA Sisterhood on FB). I'm scheduled for my PBM with hip flap reconstruction at NOLA on July 17. If anyone else will be there around the same time, thought it would be nice to chat in advance and/or meet up. Smile

Thanks!
    Galia