Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2013

Maggie - so very sorry for your loss.  

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

my left side is improved with the recent lymph transfer and removal of scar tissue for sure....right side looks like a mini boobie itself...had 1 node removed on that side and def do not want anything that would upset lymph system..think enough has been done on that end

Mags

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2013

Bothers me that the Radiologist hasn't read it yet even though she has family history of BC.

Keeping your family in my thoughts

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

Mags..so sad and sorry to hear about your loss.

All went well with my Stage 2 except I did get a drain on left hip:( I was told I might get it out before I leave. Haven't seen Dr. S to find out why. D. Trahan was in this morning and said I looked great, I told him "I had just put on some makeup and that was why." He laughed . I think he meant my surgery looked great. Lol

I decided against the implants for now. Dr.S agreed . It could be added later if I wanted ,but hoping not.

It's really weird that I'm in more pain on backside now than at Stage 1.

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Melanie - we're just glad it is over and you are sounding great!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013

Wow Russell you sound great!!!! Can you see all that was done? Are you swollen everywhere?

I had originally been scheduled for yesterday but changed my date to the end of August, wish I was where you are now and on the other side :))

Keep up the great healing and same to you Ann alive.

Hope all are doing well and enjoying your summer 😘

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited July 2013

Just received my packet in the mail from NOLA.

I had emailed them early last week, then received two phone calls on

Friday. One for description of surgery and the other from insurance person.

I almost fell in the floor when they said my insurance policy was one of the best coverages they have ever gotten. Surely there is a mistake! My insurance is the laughing stock in my neck of the woods...apparently the out of network newer type surgeries pay very well!

Still awaiting to hear from local DIEP in Regards to surgery coverage, she has had 3 weeks to get back to me.....and NOLA did it in under ONE!

Decisions, decisions....but so greatful I have them.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Marcie47 ..I haven't seen them without a bra yet. That wil be tomorrow. I don't feel swollen as of yet, but I'm very sore on my backside. Burning pain. I'm back in hotel room and resting.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me !

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Pattysmlles...You can't go wrong with NOLA!!

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Melanie - did he do any lipo on the backside?  That could be the burning pain.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

I am so sorry your bottom hurts Melanie....I can sympathize with you indeed.  I hope you can get some rest and begin to heal. 

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

I had lipo on my flanks and thighs. Dr. S told me the flanks is probably why I'm so sore and the butt lift makes my skin feel so tight .

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2013

Melanie it is so nice to hear your voice. Glad all went well. Sounds like you are tender, but it will be worth it.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

I have a question for the drain warriors. I am 3 weeks out from surgery and still have both hip drains. One is lightening up pretty good. The other is still very, very dark. Should I be concerned?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2013

Pattysmiles -- they probably just haven't had enough experience with out-of-network surgeries to have figured out the most legal way to deny them. And if it's a small network, they probably have zero alternatives in-network. Lucky timing for you.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013

Melanie, so glad you're all done. Now is the time to rest & begin the healing. You'll be awesome!

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Ssla.. I had my drains in for a little over 6 weeks. If you are concerned call them and they will put your mind at ease.

Thanks everyone for the kind words😬

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

ssla....I would call them...that's what they are there for.  I have had my drain now for 7 1/2 weeks.  On week 3 I had one of the drains go way up in fluid output and it changed to a murky yellow.  Infection....I am doing good now 4 wks later.  are your drains on opposite sides??  Gotta really pay attention to our bodies don't we?

last 2 days drain was 37.5 and 35 yesterday...only 20 so far today

Melanie...how long does he want to keep your drain in...did he say why he placed it?

Mags

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

My drains are on both hips. Output on both is usually in the 70's, so I will have them for a while yet. I'm just concerned because of the drastic difference in color of the output. I'm supposed to talk to Dr. M. tonight. I'll ask her about it then.

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Sharon - I had my hip drains for a bit more than 3 weeks.  Glad you will chat with Dr. M this evening.  Anytime you are really worried, text her.  She usually responds quickly.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Mags..he put in 1 drain because he ended up bringing incisions together on the backside. Dr. S said around 4 or 5 days. We shall see. Glad yours are going down.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

Hope it is out for post op! Dr M said we will prob be able to pull next week. Today was 32cc! She also reassured me that Aug surgery will be an "easy" one for me. I know there are never any guarantees but her words always calm me

Maggie

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2013

So glad to hear all went well Melanie!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

Mags, hope that drain comes out soon and so glad to hear your next surgery will be easier!!

YAY Melanie!! So glad everything went well and hope that drain comes out quick :)

I know this topics has been discussed a million times over, but it has been awhile since I have had to think about it. I am getting close and know I need to start taking something to help with having a bowel movement after surgery. I rememer taking Colace before and after and it didn't help much and I can't handle prunes or prune juice. Any advice would surely be welcome. I can't believe I leave in a week...YIKES

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Chelle - get Miralax. You can take it daily, but I would skip it the night before surgery. I usually take magnesium citrate tabs every night. Works differently than Miralax, both good.

• chellehump
    edited July 2013

Thanks Marty. How soon before surgery should I start? I am still a little over a week out. I don't have have a problem except when on paid meds :(

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

Sorry, forgot that part.  Miralax can take up to 3 days t work.  Some people say to take it once, 3 days before surgery.  Last surgery, I started about 4 - 5 days before and then stopped the day before picking up again the day after surgery.  It is not something that will hurt you to be on it for several weeks. 

• chellehump
    edited July 2013

Thank you again Marty & sorry for all the questions.  I have to go to the store today, so I plan to pick up what I need. Is it available in a pill? For some reason I think Miralax and think powder that is mixed with a drink.

• MartyJ
    edited July 2013

It is a powder and mixed with drink.  You remember well.  Keep well hydrated as that will help, too, not that it is easy to do in this weather.

• chellehump
    edited July 2013

Thank you so muchMarty!! Have you or anyone else tried Dulcolax? I was just curious since that is available in a pill...I am not sure it does the same thing.

I have very bad memories of Miralax, but I know I had to do it in a mass quantity before my open abdominal surgeries including my hysterectomy. It was a day of bowel cleansing Frown I am horrible at keeping hydrated and that is one of my big downfalls for recovery.