Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Hey there ladies,

I've been off the radar for a few days. I am doing ok, but I'm still sore and very tired. I am not sure how things look cause I am still pretty swollen and bruised. Some have said Dr. D now pulls the scars that were on the butt cheek to go up to the top of the butt crack almost looking like a small heart. I thought that's what he was going to do, but he didn't. He cut out the "ropes" but the scars are in the same place.

Also, has anyone developed a lump in an area that was lipoed? He said he worked my stomach over cause he couldn't find one area that had enough fat, but I now have a small lump on the right side that is sore. Just curious

Marty, good grief. You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck to all the ladies up next.

Hugs to you all!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2013

Oh my gosh Marty. I just read all posts since July 25. You have a lot to deal with right now. Take one day at a time and accept help from others. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chelle- Hope you are healing well. I see that you were nauseous for the first 48 hours. I did that too. So sorry you had to go through that.

Melanie- how long does your doc want you to wear compression 24/7? That will be my next surgery in five weeks. I am following your healing. Hoping to be able to ride in a car for 6-8 hours 3 weeks after. Did you have this done at Fairway?

Betsy- Will you be back home for Thanksgiving??

LeeAnn- I agree with Audrella. Get that MRI. You will feel better about knowing what it is.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2013

I did have my nipples done at Stage 2. It's been most 4 wks (Friday will be) Pretty much all glue and sticthes are gone except for around the nipples. I have stopped compression except for at night. Dr. Sullivan told me after 1 week I could switch to spanx but I don't have those and don't want to spend the money so I wore the garment given to me for 3 wks. Should I wear it still? I am healing good and only sore when I get off my exercise bike. Getting in and out of the car I feel sore too. But at 3 weeks you can do alot just not vigorous exercise yet.

Good to hear from you Chelle. I had a lump on my flanks from lipo and its gone now. Don't worry about it. Glad the ropes are gone and I know you are going to recover well:)

Marty..hope hubby's surgery goes well along with yours!!!

LaStar..I would get that MRI also to put your mind at ease.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013

Stage 2 scheduled for Sept. 9. Seems funny right now since I still have hip drains....going on 7 weeks :-(

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited August 2013

Ssla01, I'll be down there the 12th, hopefully for tattoos. Maybe we'll get to see each other again. Hope you get those drains out soon.

• ssla01
    edited August 2013

That would be great Judy! Grrrr. These drains!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Hi all.  Thank you for your kind wishes.  Ativan is helping keep me calm.  Had a great pre-op with Dr M this afternoon.  First time that we've been able to get it in before the day of surgery.  She is going to use fat from my inner thigh this time instead of hips and outer thighs.  She said that it will be a bit more forgiving pain-wise since I will be in the caretaker role once my DH gets home from the hospital.  Otherwise, she is trying to fix a divot that is an ongoing challenge left over from my 28 years of implants. It is right in the cleavage so it shows.  There is another divot under the right breast.  She will be filling in a large hollow on the upper pole of the left breast and sculpting it to reduce side boobage.  She is also going to inject the scar on the left side as it is raised enough that it shows through clothing.   We will do nipples, fat grafting and outer thighs/hips/buttocks in December.  Talk with you all soon.  Off to the first hibiclens shower.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

Wishing you a smooth procedure, Marty!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2013

Marty, Good luck with your surgery today and I hope you and your husband both have a speedy recovery.'

Chellehump and Russell1, I hope you are both healing well.

So its been 3 months since my DIEP, and I'm not scheduled for Stage 2 until January 22.  I finish chemo in October, and I decided to wait until I have more sick leave before going back for more surgery.  I'm likely going to take my full 6 months disability this year, yet I still keep hoping that I will rebound and be able to work between chemo treatments.

Now that I have no swelling, I can see that my radiated breast with the skin graft is about a cup size smaller than the other breast (I had both done).  Also I am wearing a B cup bra although I was told I would have a full C.  Before I was a DD.  I actually like the size I am as I feel it makes me look younger (I was a B cup in my 20s, C in my 30s before pregnancy, and a DD prior to surgery).  If I wear the prothesis I had to for my lumpectomy it looks just about even -- but of course the idea was not to have to wear a prothesis!

Other than my off-center and slightly outie belly button, I'm pretty happy with my abdomen.  There is one place right in the center that could probably be smoothed out a little.  I hope that he can plump up the one side enough with just the lipo fat.

I am wondering if I'll be able to get nipples next time.  Anyone else need to correct a cup size difference and get nipples at the same time and happy with the nipple placement when everything settled?

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

Marsha...I had size difference. My left radiated breast was higher and fuller on top. He placed fat to the right to even them out. I did get nipples. I'm only a little over 3 wks. out but so far they are looking even:) Everything will be fixed up for Stage 2. I'm so sorry you have to wait so long and that you are going through this. I know when it's over, you will look back and know that you kicked cancer's ass and you have a rockin body to show for it!!!!

• lastar
    edited August 2013

Grrrrr... Dr. DellaCroce is now not available on the day of my appointment.  It just cost me over $700 to change my tickets in addition to the price of the original flight.  So frustrating.  I really can't afford this.  However, Jeanine is helping me by recommending to my local oncologist that I get an MRI before I visit them.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

Marty, I never heard of anybody here having the inner thigh flap, let us know all about it!

Betsy, I updated your Nov date. I'm sure you'll fill the time!!! :)

LA Star, when they changed my surgery times after I had booked travel, they reimbursed me the difference. Maybe you should ask Katie (is she still there?)

• lastar
    edited August 2013

Thanks, Springtime -- I will ask Katie.  

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Yeah Katie is still there. LA, I definitely ask about that. Dr D has been making changes including the time he starts his first surgery (I'm sure depending if its a stage 1 or stage 2), but mine was scheduled for 7:30 to arrive by 6:30 and the day of my pre-op it was changed to 9 am to arrive by 8. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Marty, thinking about you and your hubby!!

I drove today and had to run a errand or two and I'm definitely feeling it. I'm so sore. I am a bit worried that my breasts are really going to be uneven now. He focused so much on my left side and it looks great that my right breast is smaller and seems a bit saggy. Plus, I don't think he lifted my backside and he just removed the ropes and fixed the scar. I'm not sure if I should even say anything to Jeanine cause I guess what is done is done. Guess I'm feeling a bit emotional today as I'm hurting more and I'm tired. Just needed to get that out.

Hugs to you all!!!

Chelle

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2013

I am 2 months Post Stage 2 and my tummy gets really swollen and uncomfortable by the end of the day.  It feels like I feel everything I eat and drink.  It wasn't this way post-op Stage 2, but it has gotten progressively worse.  WAs told by PT to discontinue girdle because my muscles were not coordinating.  She has me doing lower abdominal exercises.  PS just acted disappointed that I am having problems, and *you should be okay by now.*  Soooo tired of hearing that from PS's. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Hi all! I feel as if I m

Have been horseback riding of about 3 days. Pain pills help. I haven't really been able to look but I feel like the sunken area is much better. No nausea, but staying overnight as a serious precaution. DH will drive to hospital tomorrow and I will meet him there. More later.

• lastar
    edited August 2013

Good luck today, Marty.  I hope you and your hubs have quick recoveries!

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

Good to hear from you MartyJ!!! LaStar...they will reimburse you for flight changes! My first surgery was moved 1 week and Katie took care of it all.

Chelle...I'm sure you are really swollen still...give it time:)

Yesterday, I was applying lotion to backside and I felt a release of the scar line..Anyone ever felt this before? Hoping my butt lift didn't Fall!

Heavenschild..I seem to remember ladies saying they had swelling in the abdomen for quite some time after surgery.

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

Miss Betsy..Where have you been? :)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2013

Sorry. Just dealing with some stuff in my life. Job. Marriage. Kids. I am a mess.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2013

Sorry to hear that Betsy.  I hope things get better for you,  I really look up to you and all you have been through and how far you have come.  Sending a hug and prayers your way for better days!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2013

Leann...definitely call Katie and let her know that you had to change your flights and what the cost of doing so was.

Chelle...you are so fresh out of surgery it's impossible to tell how things are going to look once the swelling has settled.  If he worked more on the left then its going to be more swollen than the right side. Try to be patient.  It's hard, but your body just needs time.

Glad to hear an update Marty!

I hope things get better for you soon Betsy.  I sure miss you!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2013

Betsy,

I thought of you this week as I wore my Betsy capris --so comfy

Job, marriage, kids. ...

Ditto to my current life mess. Having breast cancer surgery on top of this has many ingredients for stress. May your friends and virtual BC friends help you through. Mine have been a Godsend, but still needed doc to up xanax Rx.

You have been given much needed support to others here, and appreciated by many.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

Michelle, I agree with the others.  If he did so much work on the left it's going to take a little while to heal, de-swell (I just made that word up) and then things will look better.  I remember after my surgery I expected everything to look awesome right away, geez was I surprised!  But of course as I continue to heal I'm really starting to see everything is looking pretty darn good.  Too bad we can't just zoom ahead to the final look.  I am happy to hear those darn ropes are GONE!

Marty - you are a superwoman! Glad they made you stay overnight.  Tell them to get that bed next to your hubby made up.

Russell - you made me giggle thinking of your butt coming detatched and sliding down!  Probably just scar tissue breaking up which is a good thing.

Betsy - hope youre doing ok today.  Remember you can use us to vent, we get it.  Besides we need your continued input and wisdom.

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2013

Russel1 - thanks.

MartyJ - praying for you!  You have been so encouraging to me.

Betsy - Miss you on DIEP 2013, we get kinda lost when you and MartyJ don't visit as often.  (((BETSY)))

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

Thinking of you Betsy!!! Yes you are a world of knowledge and support for us!! Hope things settle down and resolve quickly!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2013

Thanks ladies.

• ssla01
    edited August 2013

Betsy, I think of you every day as I still have these drains. I surely don't want to take your longest drains title! Lol. It will be seven weeks Friday.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2013

Thinking of you Betsy! You have always held us up. Hope we can return the favor. (((Hugs)))

Marty- hope all is well and hubby does great too! Wondering what type of compression Dr. M put you in after thigh lipo? Why did you need to spend the night? What all did you have done? Sorry for all the questions.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013

group hug with Betsy in the middle of us all!!  We love you Betsy.  

MartyJ...hope you and the hubs are doing well on meds together ;)

13 days and counting...breathe breathe breathe....

Mags