Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited July 2013

Mags...how is the lymphadema swelling? Still way better?

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2013

arm is fabulous.  I have run out of visits the insurance will pay and just got a bill around $3000 for visits over the alloted 25 but still have more to go...dang cancer is expensive.  Hoping Dr M's office cuts me a break in the charges.

Mags

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2013

Hey ladies, thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. I am home now and feeling ok. The surgery took about 4 hours. I can't really tell yet at this point how all this will look cause I am so swollen and bruised. He went into my left breast and did some fat injections, but he pulled the flap over to cover more of the chest wall. Right now my left boob is much bigger than my right, but the right side had a lot done to it, so I am sure it is really swollen. He lifted them both again and cut the nipples to match, so I have the nipple cut, the incision from the nipple to the bottom of the breast and then the incision on the bottom of the breasts on both sides. Then my backside is cut on both sides from the hip down to my butt crack...lol (for lack of better words). Mine is not the heart shape that I have seen others have though.

But, I had two breasts drains and they will pulled yesterday and he did not put in drains for my backside...YAY!!

I now know that I am allergic to steri-strips thoughl. I had 4 of them and I have blisters where they were and it itches like crazy. I sent pics to Laura and she told me to get them off and take benedryl and if its not better in a couple days to call her back.

Thank you all again for your support, encouraging words and prayers!!

Oh, Dr. D sold his Maserati :( He now has 2 Ferrari's

I am exhausted, so I think I am going to go lay down for little while.

Hugs to you all!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2013

2 as ( in two ) Ferraris. wow. vroom vroom.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2013

About lipo... I saw results quicker the second time around... it takes a while to see results and its slow in coming.

About what to ask for... Dr D made all of his suggestions, and then I pulled out my list to see if he missed anything. In the end, he got it all, but I did request my inner knees to be lipo'd which he has done twice now. Love that man. Even if he sold his Maserati.

Mags... I suggest you get massage on the butt scar to break up the scar tissue. You will be surprised how much better it can get.

• mags20487
    edited July 2013

I will ask Dr M about the massage. Last time we spoke she did not want me to touch it too much as the massage can stimulate fluid....such a never ending battle. I still cannot believe my body is gonna b lipo ed wowwwww! The only perk to our treacherous journey.

Mags

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013

Michelle, glad your home. Nothing like it huh?

Mags, I'm happy for you & your arm. I'm still totally amazed the things they can do!

Melanie, a little over 2 weeks out & riding a bicycle! You give me such positiveness...is that even a word? Well you give me hope I can heal so quickly.

Marty J, sorry about your hubby. Hope all goes well.

By the way could anyone remind me of the magic potion of miralax & whatever else we should take 3 days before surgery to help keep our bowels happy. Geez how quickly I forget.

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Mags..so awesome about the arm!!! I have a friend who was radiated on both sides and has lympahdema in one arm. I am telling her about your surgery:)

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013

Who has he ovary removal or hysterectomy with stage 2? I thought it was something that could be combined and now I'm being told no. Any thoughts???

• Russell1
    edited July 2013

Barbma...Take the miralax 2 days before surgery. You can start the stool softner in the hospital. I believe they give you that.

• ssla01
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the pm's!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2013

Sharon, I'm having a hysterectomy and oophorectomy with my 2b in September and haven't been told it would be an issue.  In fact, the Center is handling all of the arrangements with Dr. Von Almen (the ob/gyn they refer patients to), billing, appointments and everything.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Sharon, where are you doing Stage 2? I believe that she can only have the GYN stuff done in NOLA and Charkeston, but not Chicago.

• ssla01
    edited August 2013

Marty, stage 2 will be in NOLA.

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Thanks Sharon.  Not sure why she can't have it done then, but maybe if your Stage 2 is extensive then she needs you all to herself.  You mentioned that you were trying to avoid having more surgeries after Stage 2 so it could be her focus.  Call the office and talk it through to see what is really up.

• Audrella
    edited August 2013

Definitely let us know what they say Sharon.  I thought the hysterectomy/oophorectomy isn't a big deal because its going to be done laparoscopically?  Will yours be laparoscopic as well?  That may be why if its not, particularly if it's going to be abdominal because that's a significant surgery.

• bdavis
    edited August 2013

I know of at least 2-3 people (including Tracy) who have had the oofrectomy during stage II... I agree that you should investigate more about this. I looked into it as well. Decided not to do it yet, but it wasn't a question of if I could.

• ssla01
    edited August 2013

Thanks everyone. I got a couple of p.m.'s. that were very informative. I gave the Dr.s office the name of the surgeon that does it there. Hopefully, it will work out.

• bdavis
    edited August 2013

So my surgery date was moved. It is now November 21. I will be flying in November 20 at night and surgery is 8am. Pre-op is right before. So a little tight. And then post op is Monday. And fly out Tuesday. I am now feeling like I have too many days in NOLA but want my post op. Has anyone seen the doctor on the weekend for a post op? Dr D probably doesn't come in on the weekend, especially if he is now not available for a Friday surgery.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2013

Betsy,

Not the same surgical group, but my surgeon scheduled pre op as same day as discharge. This was fir a Stage 4. Anyway, I had complications and ended up having a true pre op appt in his office a few days after discharge and then another a few days after that.

My surgeon lo longer does surgery on Monday unless special case.

Wouldnt hurt to ask though you may get a different doc.

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

My surgery was on a Friday and had my post op appt with Dr. S on Monday and left Tuesday.

• bdavis
    edited August 2013

My post op is scheduled for Monday to then leave Tuesday but now with a Thursday surgery those extra days seem excessive. Especially for a stage IIc. It's more like a tweak than a surgery. I guess I will just need to enjoy myself. Darn.

• Barbmal5
    edited August 2013

Where is everybody?

Bdavis - what a sacrifice! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! There's lots of fun things to do in New Orleans especially if your feeling good. Might be a little blessing in disguise.

Russell, Michelle how are you ladies doing?

MartyJ best of luck this week!

• Russell1
    edited August 2013

Barb..I'm doing great:) just waiting for the sticthes to fall off of the nipples. Does anyone know how long that takes?

Thinking of you MartyJ!

How are you Chelle?

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Thanks Barb & Melanie - i wish I was as calm going into this one as I was for 2a.  I know my husband's situation has me unnerved.  We have his brother on stand-by if needed.  My BFF will pick me up at my hospital (if I spend the night) and take me to his hospital where she will stay with me until he is out of surgery then drive me home (spending the night if needed).  Otherwise, if I am released Tuesday afternoon, I will go to the hospital with my DH when he is admitted and she will meet me there for the day. Too darn complicated and so many loose ends. Ativan for sleep last night.  May take another today and tell Dr M when I see her for pre-op.  This is all so iffy and not good for a planner.  Especially since my DH is not his usual self and he really didn't focus on the fact that the thigh lipo is worse than the flanks.  Y'all may not hear from me for a few days til I return to the planet of the sane and walking.

• Barbmal5
    edited August 2013

Melanie, did you have nipple reconstruction?  If so I'm no help but I swear I actually pulled out a stitch from my belly button at about 6 weeks post-op! It was about an inch long! Crazy.

Marty I can't believe what you will be going through! You must have the strength of a superwoman.  Don't try to do it all.  I know you want to be there with him but don't get hurt in the process.  Maybe you can get some really good drugs and a bed in recovery right next to him.  After a while the nurses will think you're a patient there too and start to take care of you, bring you dinner and more drugs....  I'll be praying for you and sending you positive and strengthening thoughts.  Best of luck ( to your hubby too) and keep us posted.

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

Marty..all the best to you and the hubs.  Hoping it goes so much more smoothly then you are imagining!

Just got a notice today that BCBS has denied the appeal from SCSH for my gap in March...that is leaving me with a 6 digit bill that I could not possibly pay for.  Wonder if I will get a letter or phone call from them now.  Just as I am going in 16 days for stage 2....errrrr!   Well at least the hospital in Charleston is IN network

Maggie

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this.  I've felt a couple of small lumps on my DCIS side.  I'm pretty sure that they were not there a couple of months ago.  I saw my onc today and he thought they might be related to the necrosis I have on that flap.  The necrosis has been there for a year and the lumps are new and much higher than the flap, with one on the chest wall above my breast.  Has anyone ever heard of necrosis spreading or have found lumps related to necrosis that were not near the original necrosis?  I feel that they are unrelated.  I will be seeing Dr. D in 2 weeks for a consultation.  My onc wants me to ask if he feels that they are related.  If not, we will schedule an MRI.  I think I'd like one anyway, but I suppose I should take advantage of the fact that I will see Dr. D soon and can get his input on this.  Should I worry about waiting a few weeks?  

Maggie -- I hope you can get that sorted out.  My insurance company and I have appealed 3 times but my insurance is refusing to pay for a large portion of my Stage 2 surgery.  SCSH said that I would not be charged for this surgery and a lady in billing said that means that I will not have to pay anything, but it's still nerve-wracking.  

• Audrella
    edited August 2013

Good luck to you and your hubby, Marty.  Hoping for smooth surgeries and recoveries for both of you.

Maggie, it's so stressful to receive the daily bills/denials/appeals/insurance communication.  I've been told repeatedly that I won't be responsible for the remainder that goes unpaid, but I really feel badly about it.  My stage 1 from back in October still hasn't been settled yet and apparently my insurance company has stopped returning the Center's calls :(.  Oddly enough, stage 2 has been all paid and taken care of and my stage 2b is all pre-approved.  So odd this insurance business is!

LeeAnn, I don't have any first hand experience with the necrosis issue as mine has been pretty consistent from day one.  But, I think I would be inclined to move forward with the MRI sooner rather than later.  I don't think Dr. D will be able to tell you what it is without seeing imaging.  You could post your ? on his ask the Dr. forum and get his general thoughts that way.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

Good idea, Audrella!  Thanks!