Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2013

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while but I had my pre op today and want to know if anybody is sorry they decided to do a plication?

I told the dr I would tell him in the morning if I decide to do this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Also do they need to use a mesh when the do it?

Thank you and hope everybody has a wonderful weekend

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013

Congratulations Maggie!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

Marcie, I don't know about plication but there were discussions on this thread about it in the past. If no one responds in time, do a search for it and look at the posts in this thread. Best wishes for a smooth procedure tomorrow!

• Marcie47
    edited August 2013

Thanks LA, going to hospital soon, i did some reading last night, will decide when I get there,

Just as nervous as stage 1 but know it will be over soon :)

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2013

Marcie..let us know what you decided and how it went.  thinking of you today.

Question for anyone: after Stage 1 DIEP, did you lose any weight?  Did your clothes fit for the ride home or did you bring clothes a few sizes bigger to accomodate swelling and bandages?

also, does anyone know....when this is all over, when all the stages are complete....are the boobs ours forever, without complications or will there always be the possibilities of necrosis and open wounds and scar issues, etc.

Happy Friday all

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013

feeling pretty good today...had breakfast and now we are going to walk for just a little bit and ck out Charleston.  Not taking pain meds as the pain is very minimal as she wanted to do a minor tweak this time and next one will be more extensive.

Maggie

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Marcie, sorry this may be too late. I had plication and it was a little rough at first and I do get an occasional bloating feeling, but being almost a year out of my stage 2, I don't regret it. I do know that there are some on here that wish they never did it. The bottom half of my abdomin was so weak and messed up from multiple surgeries and the last one being my hysterectomy, I was excited to have the mini-tummy tuck and plication. But, it's really a personal decision and I'm sure you did some research on it. Thinking about you today!!!

Mags, sounds like you are doing well!! So happy for you :) Safe travels home!!

As anyone heard from Barb? Hope you are doing well. I've been thinking and praying for you!!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2013

Thinking of you Marcie!  No advice on the plication, I'm having it next month, so anxious to hear what you think about it.

Hooray Maggie, glad to hear it went well and was uneventful.

MAPBB, Immediately after stage 1 and 2, I had a LOT of fluid retention and my weight was very much up...15 pounds at the highest if I recall correctly.  I brought mostly elastic waist clothes...yoga pants, knit skirts, etc. so it all fit the same before and after.  Once I was recovered, and the swelling subsided, I did end up a pant size smaller. Same thing happend after stage 2, dropped another size.  

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2013

Meant to ask a question of my own.  I'm having surgery on a Tuesday that will include a bilateral lift, revisions, fat injections, plication and a hysterectomy/oophorectomy.  For those that have been there, do you think I might be up for a 12 hour + car ride home on Saturday?  Really don't know what to expect in terms of recovery this go round with the hysterectomy and plication especially.  Last time was a cake walk with the lift and revisions alone.

• mtpeteacher
    mtpeteacher Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2013

Could I ask what plication is? Is it done in specific situations?

Thanks to all of you who help others with your stories and your encouragement! This site is so valuable on our "journeys"! I made sure my local support group (Bosom Buddies) knew about this resource.

You all give me hope and strength as my DIEP date approaches :)

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

mtpeteacher - plication is where they repair the abdominal muscles that may have separated.  It is not usually done until Stage 2.  Following my Stage 1 I developed a pooch right above the middle of the abdominal incision.  Dr. M fixed it with a bit of a plication.  I worked with a trainer and a PT to learn how to use those muscles again properly.  Not sorry she did it at all.  

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

MAPBB, my understanding is that, once the surgeries and healing are done, the flaps are not in any danger of failing or having more complications. There might still be issues of lymphedema and cellulitis, but the breasts themselves should be permanent and done. Dr. Stolier even told me earlier this week that the main blood supply could be cut off and the flap would still survive because it regenerates its own blood supply when it is established. Fascinating!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited August 2013

Whew! WHAT a summer! I haven't been able to get to the computer to check the forum and now find more than 800 pages!! I have some catching up to do. Fortuntely, the B&B will slow down a bit for early September (can't believe I am writing that month, either!) so some rest is in order. What's the saying? Be careful what you wish for as you might just get it!! Well, we got B&B success -- in spades!

Spring, I am having Stage 2c on November 13th if you would kindly add this slacker to the list. Hoping this is the last one with just some minor tweaks that Dr. D. wants to do. 

Made some big decisions while I have been off-list -- divorce became final, though my ex and I are business partners in the B&B and doing really well -- perhaps better than when we were married!; the university granted me a sabbatical and at the end of the sabbatical, I will retire -- it was time. Not an easy decision as I love the university and my work, but it was time. The past three years have taken their toll and I didn't have the heart for it any more. There is a new/dear old friend in my life who love even the "patchwork" Maggie! Simplifying ...

Hope to find some time to catch up on my reading. In the meantime, for those having had their procedures, healing thoughts. For those heading in for theirs, you are in the best of hands so persevere. And for the "old" regulars here, great to be back to meet good friends again!

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Maggie - you sound wonderful!  So excited about the success of the BnB and the changes you have made.  It is good that fall will bring some relaxation and a few tweaks.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2013

I've been off for awhile! Back to playing co---ed softball on Friday nights and slowly working out. I'm so sore!!! I feel as if I need more lipo on my legs to even out my upper half.. Anyone else feel this way?

Audrella..thinking of you sweet friend!! Can't wait to hear from you. You car ride will be fine! Just take those pain meds and sleep:)

Hugs to all going in for surgery and the rest of my sisters in healing!!! xo

• Marcie47
    edited August 2013

I am out of the hospital and back at the hotel, I am sore but know it will get better soon.

Took a shower this morning, now just tired. It is time for my nap.

• mtpeteacher
    edited August 2013

Glad you are doing well and could shower.  Thanks for the update, Marcie47. 

• mtpeteacher
    edited August 2013

Thank you for the explanation, LAStar!  Our bodies are amazing!

MartyJ: your explanation on plication helped....never heard of it before....I like to know what could happen before a medical person tells me they need to do it on me :)  Thank you!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2013

Thank you all for your great comments. I have been on vacation now that chemo is over. We flew from Ohio to Oregon where our son lives, rented a car in Oregon and drove back across the country seeing many sites along the way. ROAD TRIP! I finally spoke with The people at NOLA, and just as some of you have suggested, if there is a chance that I may need radiation (and because I haven't had my lymph nodes biopsied yet) they would do the mastectomy and node biopsy and place temporary implants until they learn the results of the permanent section pathology. I am scheduled to see my general surgeon here on Tuesday ( because he and the PS still think they are doing the lat flap on September 25) so I will advise him of my new plan and ask him if he will do my node biopsy so I know what I am dealing with. I don't want to have an additional surgery if I don't have to. I am so absolutely thrilled to have found the NOLA doctors and this wonderful support system, and now feel relieved that I won't have to sacrifice my muscles. I am supposed to talk to someone at NOLA in the next couple days to schedule things.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited August 2013

Yay Zenful!!!

• mtpeteacher
    edited August 2013

I agree totally with saving the muscles! Good for you, Zenful!

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013

Good for you Zenful. I had my lymph node surgery downs locally so that when I got to the "big" surgery it would be easier to plan. Best wishes.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited August 2013

Having stage 2 px mx in sept. had mastectomy on other side in 2010. Want to get the nipple reconst. redone on the 2010 side (flatened) and the nipple reconst. on the px side after my exchange. Am considering lipo with redistribution of fat in areas where the implant didn't exactly fit the chest wall -looks okay just upper pole hollowness.

How long did it take you to get into NOLA for something like this: nipple reconst. and lipo with fat redistribution.  My PS isn't all that exp. in this.  I want a minimal number of surgeries so I want an expert at NOLA. 

thanks

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2013

Zenful - I had my sentinel node biopsy first - not that I was being smart but because that's just the way my surgeon did it. When he postponed my mastectomy it gave me time to do some research and find this group and NOLA. I'm thrilled that I went this way as my original PS would only do implants.

Vicktoria - my stage 1 was "urgent" because of the active cancer. It was under two weeks from when I first called NOLA until my combo bilateral mastectomy and DIEP surgery. My stage 2 I scheduled about two months out. I'm not a good example for you but just want to encourage you and let you know you are on the right path.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013

home sweet home

gotta unwrap my arm, shower do some mld then rewrap arm and go to bed.  I officially hate compression.  One drain out of rt breast that is going to be gone soon!

maggie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2013

Maggie 1, it is so nice to hear from you again. Sounds like a lot of good changes have been happening in your life. Even good changes can be very stressful. So happy your B&B is successful. Where is that again? Stay connected and let us know how you are doing. My 2c is Sept. 19.

Yay zenful.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Marty, I walk 3.5 miles yesterday and biked 7.5 today. Now if I can just stay motivated. I know how this will help with my surgery and healing.

I have yet to buy a decent bra for my new foobs. I still wear those wonder bras. My new boobs have no cleavage at all. Maybe a good bra would help. Any ideas out there?

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Cherrie - good work. Just keep it up til mid-September. We walked 1.5 today as it was high tide and I biked 7 miles. Then I told Dr. M and she sort of indicated she wasn't ready for me to sweat a lot yet. Oh well! Summer in the south.

I was never comfortable in the wonder bra and got some Bali comfort bras. They are t shirt knit and just cover no support. I bought two wacoal at Nordstrom, but Dr M doesn't want me to wear them. they are regular bras but have a band from the center front to the top of the cup. Because she was grafting to the upper pole she didn't want anything to press on the area so I either wear a tank with shelf bra, the Bali or go without. I am going to delay bra shopping again until we are done. It is just not worth the expense and agrivation.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Good idea Marty as I will be having fat grafting done also. I will wait on the bra.

So, are you saying we shouldn't be walking and biking for a while after thigh lipo? I've come so far and don't want to compromise anything.

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Well, I am not sure.  I didn't ever ask how much exercise, but I think she was concerned with the sweating while the incisions were healing.  I will be at 3 weeks tomorrow and didn't begin biking until I passed the 2 week mark.  You will need to ask her for her suggested timeframes.