Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013

Pathology is back on a spot Dr M removed on Wed--ALL CLEAR!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2013

Great news Maggie!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2013

Has anyone ever had a suspicious MRI after their DEIP? My onc ordered a baseline MRI last week. Her nurse called me 30 min. ago to tell me she didn't like what she saw on the left breast. No mass, but an area. My onc is very aware that my tissue is from my belly. She wants me to have an ultrasound within a week. I am pissed that I even have to go through this already. I had this done to avoid all this crap. I am confused, pissed, and emotional. My next surgery is in 3 weeks.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Sorry for ranting.

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

Oh ((((Cherrie))))...praying that it is nothing...maybe it is just necrotic tissue.  Mine had some calcifications in it that showed on the path so that could be it too.  Sorry you must deal with this

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Do I need to let Becky know? My surgery is in 3 weeks. I feel stuck and don't know what to do. My US is next Wed. And they should be able to let me know by Friday the 6th. I really can't mentally deal with this right now. Damn!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Cherrie - Call Becky or Dr. M and let them help you with this.  It will make it easier on you.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

I sent an email to both so they would get the same info. I am so tired of this. Around we go. I have been sooooo positive through this, but I feel sucker punched.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Dr. Massey called my oncologist and then me. I love her. I definitely need the ultrasound but Dr. Massey is having me get it this week instead of next week. ( just in case I need a biopsy) It is uncommon to get cancer at this point, but not unheard of. It did happen to 2 patients of Dr. M's in her 10 years of doing DIEPS. Say your prayers gals. It is this Thursday morning. I am sure I will have to wait until Monday to find out. Or later as it is a holiday weekend. That sucks and we have all been there. I hate this.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2013

So sorry, Cherrie! Praying!

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

I am so glad she called you. This does suck! We are here for you

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2013

Cherrie - so sorry that you're back in the waiting room, especially on a holiday weekend. Just thought that I'd add that Dr. LaGarde, my BS at NOLA, told me to send copies of all my breast MRI's so that she could review them. She also warned me before my 1st post reconstruction MRI that places that don't read a lot of MRI's on women who have had flap reconstruction often read the area that has increased blood flow from the vascular anastomosis as a problem area. Here's hoping that's what's going on with your study!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Cherrie - so glad Dr. M got involved.  I am sure she will see the results rather quickly and talk with you over the weekend.  I will be thinking of you!

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Thanks! I will get through this and I will have a glass of wine tonight too!🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013

Maggie, happy that your news was good.

Cherrie, praying hard for you Sistah! Only good thoughts!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2013

Stay calm, Cherrie. You have a lot of people praying for you!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

Cherrie, I had some suspicious aspects of my MRI and was lucky to have a trip to NOLA already planned.  Dr. Stolier reviewed the MRI and said that nothing indicated cancer.  He said that they do not recommend any imaging for flap reconstruction patients because no one knows how to interpret the images relative to flap reconstruction.  It could just be a bit of necrosis that you never noticed before or a fatty oil deposit like I had.  Fingers crossed for you that it's nothing of concern.  You are a Flapper -- you are unique and none of those folks have seen anything like you!  

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Thanks LA and all those who have responded to me. You ARE my support group. I think what worries me most is the lack of experience with reading MRI's on women like us. I don't want a biopsy on my brand new breasts. Dr. Massey is very involved and has requested my images and report. That makes me feel better. I am doing much better today. Keep your fingers crossed.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited August 2013

Hang in there Cherrie! Sometimes folks just need to be "eddicated"!

Glad of the good news Mags!!

Maggie 1

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

Good morning ladies! I'm back. Not that I ever left. I was reading but not posting. Stage 2a was brutal for me. Not physically ( had lots of lipo, fat transfers, lift and reduction - originally an A/B, was a C after stage one and now seem to be more of a nice B which is what I wanted), but hard emotionally. Not sure why this was but finally I'm totally back to feeling like me again and liking what I'm seeing. Still have one drain but in no hurry to pull it especially after developing the seroma after stage 1. Should be out in next few days.

Cherrie - hoping what they are seeing is just the new DIEP norm. There's just so much they don't know yet. Makes me not want to even bother with any follow up. Will be praying for you.

Maggie you're sounding great. Keep it up but don't overdo!

Michelle, sometimes our bodies have a mind of their own. Sucks. Hoping the injections work well for you.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

couple of questions: can we ask for another compression garment? Currently wearing a Veronique mid thigh with bra attached, zipper/hook & eye but its getting a little loose, Yeah!

How do we know if we need a stage 2b? Is it based on just our wants or do we send pics & get input from the docs? Does it cost more than a 2a? Is there a time frame it needs to be done?

Thanks for input.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2013

congrats Mags!!!!!! :))))))

Cherrie...I have an MRI scheduled for dec, and I am thinking that it will come back suspicious because it is my radiatied side and I know it has areas of necrosis. This just sucks!!!! Totally thinking of you!!!!!

Does anyone know about dermarolling for your scars on the hips? I am going to ask the Dr. D on the forum.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited August 2013

Hi. I haven't posted much due to traveling, school starting, work and all the other stuff that makes up life.  But I find myself sitting on a plane hurling towards NOLA and feeling surprisingly nervous.  It's my 4th trip down (consult, stage 1, stage 2 and 2b) so you think I'd be much calmer, but I'm really a bit shakey. Maybe it's that this time I'm going it alone (although a friend of a friend is going to help out post-surgery), but it feels a bit surreal.  I love the NOLA people and know they'll take good care of me, but I'm not even sure what they are going to do - lipo, open me up to get out scar tissue? A mystery.  Well, it's not like anyone can do anything, but I thought if anyone would understand, the women here will. Thanks for letting me share.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited August 2013

Barbma15 - Honestly, I think you know when you are done. I remember asking myself the same question. For me one breast created a sort of cleavage line, while the other didn't and that bothered me. Also, I had huge swelling in my stomach (I did hip flap and they threw in a tummy tuck) that just wasn't right.  I'm heading back today because even though they fixed the stomach it's been almost 2 years and it still bulges out more than before the surgery.  So I'm going to give it one more try. I know in my heart that whatever the outcome this time it will be it.   But I tihnk you can go until you feel that you are the best you can be and/or you just can't take any more surgeries. 

Oh yes, I did send pix to the doctor and they agreed it didn't look right. I also showed them my before photo of my stomach.

I hope this helped.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2013

thinking of you KathrynLa...! We do understand:)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

Celtic, Russell, and Marsha, I added your dates above per your PMs. I hope they're up there correctly. 

All, I am out of town on vacation so not checking as often. But I will get to it! Thanks for taking care of each other!

Spring.

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

Kathryn...hope you get the results you are looking for!  Still feeling good physically.  No sleep last night.  Our family friend who was dx on the Friday b4 Mem day and gave birth on Mem day is in the hospital with fever. She is still in the middle of chemo..no surgery yet as mass was too big.  They think a spot may have been missed on her pet scan on the lung.  Should know today what is up.  I just do not understand how this could happen.  How could that get overlooked?  I keep hoping for the best for her and her family.  Makes me feel guilty for my good news.

Cherrie...Dr m is on the case!!  I love her so much...we will be here waiting to hear

Mags

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Oh Maggie I am sorry about your family friend. She sounds quite young and it just seems so unfair. Stories like this can make us feel guilty, but you have fought hard. Now you will be there for your friend.

Yes, Dr. M is in my pocket. She always comes through and it made a huge difference in my attitude. Of course my glass of wine helped too.

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

good news---they told her it was a false alarm??   The bad news is they cannot get the fever down and she is on 3 different iv antibiotics.  I feel bad for her family having to ride this roller coaster horror ride.

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Maggie- I would say I can't imagine, but we know she has been through the wringer. A false alarm?? My thoughts are with your friend and hope today brings her some peace. What is causing the fever?

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

they do not know the cause...they assumed infection.  She has finished Ac portion of chemo and is 4 weeks into 12 weekly taxol. The docs are now just kind of scratching their heads as the AB's she is on are not making fever go away and it has been 7 days now.