Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

Maggie - have you scheduled for December yet?  I am on the 5th.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013

Yes...I am on the 4th! My sister is coming in too...she was going to surprise me and her daughter spilled the beans. They are the type of people who need you to entertain them so not sure how I feel about it. I know DR M will not be so easy on me next time as there is still so much to do.

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

So, let's try to get together this time.  Where are you staying?  Getting your beach time in?  Rates should be good.

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

have not made the reservation just yet.  We were in N Charleston last week.  My hubs is hooked on Embassy Suites with their free happy hour.  It was certainly an easy drive in to town and to beaches.  Would like to be closer this time if we can afford it.  I had to order a custom sleeve and glove today...Dr M's request --this BC is so expensive!  I really want to do a carriage ride...may have to force him into it.  Sister will be right on E Bay st.

Maggie

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2013

I have a question for the gals who have have the "ropes" on the behind corrected. (Mags, Michelle Humph?)

Did it help?!? Mine seems to be getting worse the more time that goes by. I'm not scheduled for revisions until January, but some days it is just unbearable. I have the painful ropey scars on each cheek, and the part above my butt crack gets really swollen and puffy. I've done the lymph massage, but it really doesn't seem to help. Quite the PITA, literally and figuratively!

So does it get better? Or am I destined for a painful, puffy behind? Is it worth financial strain to get it corrected before January?

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

I have not had the "ropey" (just made that word up) scar fixed yet...for me Dr M fixed a pseudo bursa that formed from the seroma that I got.  I am hoping she will start on the behind in December...It really is a pita.  I hate the daily pain but (no pun intended) she ass-ured (again no pun intended) me that it would get better once she works on it.  I have the puff on top of the crack too...errr...cannot imagine this on both sides....looks like a bunny tail.  Mine does not change so I know it is not fluid just the way it was tied back together.  I would ask the center about it.  Let them know about the pain and that it is getting worse.  Hope you get some answers

Maggie

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Dianne, I know what you are feeling and I am SO sorry!!! :( I lived with it for months before my stage 2b and mine was really bad, so I would say have it addressed at your surgery in January and not put additional financial strain on yourself.
    While I waited for my stage 2b, I made sure I had something to sit on and made sure I moved around and adjusted positions to avoid sitting on one area for any length of time. Some days were just unbearable and so painful & I hate to hear someone else feeling it. From what I was told, removing the "ropes" helps most people and I pray it does for you!!!

But, I would still call the center and let them know now though. I waited way too long to say anything.

I am only a few weeks out, but it looks like my body is reacting the same way again. Dr. D wants me to do kenalog injections to help break up the scar tissue back there.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2013

Thanks, ladies! I emailed Jeanine, so hopefully I will have some answers soon.

Michelle, are the shots something you will do locally? Let us know how that works and if it helps. I know you've had a rough road, too!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

MartyJ, New-Girl, and MAPBB, I added/removed your surgeries per your PMs. Edits on this list are hopping lately...

Dianne, OUCH. I didn't have that. Can you move your surgery up closer??

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited August 2013

Springtime..have a great vacation and Thanks for all you do:)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited August 2013

Thinking of you Kathryn! You will do great.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

Peace to you tonight Kathryn.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited August 2013

Thanks everyone.  Had my Blue Marker appt today.  Makes me nervous and excited to finally get my stomach fixed. And of course Dr. S found more things to tweek. Love him! I'm scheduled for 9AM. 

On another note, I am alone this trip and a friend of a friend was coming to get me out of the hospital on Friday. I spoke to him a week and a half ago but now he's MIA.  I'm hoping her turns up tomorrow. But if for some reason he doesn't, does anyone have a friend in NOLA that might be able to pick me up sometime on Friday and take me to my hotel in the French Quarter. Hopefully I won't need it but trying to get a back up plan in place.  (I can give them some money to do it.)  Thanks for any help.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

You were all right!! Radiologist came in and feels it is a fat necrosis related to surgery. I burst into happy tears. I have a repeat MRI in 6 mo. Thanks everyone, I truly felt you in there. You are my breast friends.

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2013

Wonderful news Cherrie! My happy thought for the day. Go celebrate!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited August 2013

Yay, Cherrie! So relieved for you! Whew!!!!

• mags20487
    edited August 2013

Yes yes yes! Wonderful news!

My friend is also out of hospital now...was infection in the port which they removed. Maybe now she can get on with treatments. Doctor had told her 100% sure it was a tumor on the lung and then backed off and said no...false alarm....not sure if I wojld trust them and would be getting another opinion

Maggie

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Yeah Cherrie!!!! I was praying so hard for you and so glad the news was great news!!!

Kathryn, your going to do great but I don't have anyone available to help. I know there are some ladies on here that are from there and hopefully can help if your friend am doesn't show up. Sorry you are having to deal with that.

Dianne, yes they said a dermatologist would be who I need to contact. Dr. D doesn't want me to start until I'm 6 weeks out so I plan to start putting things in motion next week to hopefully begin them right at the 6 weeks mark, but its still a few weeks away. I will certainly keep you all updated on how it goes and Dr. D wants updates too.

I went into the office for the first time and they were all so sweet and happy to have me back, but I got very lightheaded and dizzy to the point I had to have someone drive me and my car home :-( now I also have a small hole on my right hip that just doesn't want to close and keeps bleeding. It doesn't look infected, so I'm painting it and keeping it covered for now. What a roller coaster we ride on huh? I'm going to work from home tomorrow and rest as much as possible this weekend and hope for the best.

You ladies are just amazing and I truly appreciate all your support!!!!

Hugs!!!

Spring, enjoy your vacation!!!!

Chelle

• MartyJ
    edited August 2013

Yay Cherrie!  So very happy for you.

• Cherrie
    edited August 2013

Thanks! I am doing the celebration dance that we all know. Yahoo!!!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2013

Yay, Cherrie!!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited August 2013

Two pieces of great new. First, surgery is over and went without a hitch and I am feeling woderful - although I've already dozed off 2s time while writing this. My stomach looks great - I think he did another pliacaionThe other good news is that my ride has resurfaced. I was so worried since no one copd  reac him.  But he called the hospital tonight spoke to a nurse for over an hour(I think he told her his whole life story.) Anyway, he is eager and ready to help and I am breathing ahuge sign of relief (into the breathing coach they give you post surgery  - so it isn't wasted).  And finally thank you all agein for help.  Time for another nap. :)

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2013

Yay, Cherrie! So glad it worked out for you. At least now they will have a base line MRI to compare future films.

I am having a sentinel node biopsy next week to determine whether I will need radiation. NOLA will schedule my surgery as soon as the results come back and we know which surgery to schedule. If nodes are clear, I can proceed with Phase 1 surgery, otherwise I will need temporary implants with the bmx and will have to delay Phase1 until after radiation. Praying for clear nodes!

I am so blessed to have found all you NOLA gals inspiring me to look for options other than lat flap surgery. I know it will still be a long road, but I am most comfortable with using my own tissue and sparing my muscles. It just feels right, and all doors kept opening, so I am convinced this is the path I am supposed to follow.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2013

Zenful, I had the body lift and am thrilled.  If you want you can read about my experience on the Center's website and see a pic of me in a two-piece in the patient testimonials (no visible scars!).  Just pm me if you want to talk more...  Peace, TamaraLaughing

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2013

Wow, Tamara. You look amazing! Reminds me of my younger body. I haven't worn a two piece in years, but who knows what the future holds, right?

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2013

Hooray for the fantastic news Cherrie!  What a relief.

I'm glad your ride came through for you Kathryn. My friend said to let him know if anything changes, he's willing to help however he can.

It sounds like you work with a really great group of people Chelle.  Hopefully the injections will do the trick.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2013

Anybody remember the protocol for the nipple guards? When we take the 1st one off and replace it with the new one, do we swab the new nipple and cover every 24 hours?

Thanks for any help, soo much information, it is hard to retain ☺

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2013

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about post-DIEP abdominal bulging, short of plication. I keep thinking it should decrease over time, but instead it seems to be increasing. I had DIEP stage 1 a year ago, followed by stage 2 five months later. I had a 2b almost 8 weeks ago. I had abdominal wound healing trouble after stage 1, with necrosis that required debridement at a wound care center. At my stage 2, that wound was revised, and also had an umbilical hernia repair. My belly button had been moved off-center at stage 1, was still off-center after stage 2, so was moved nearer to center at stage 2b. Thus, I have had my abdomen worked on 3 times in a year.

I'm so tired of surgery...don't want to think of plication EVER because of the extended recovery. I haven't tried abdominal exercises yet -- have to be careful because of osteoporosis, crunches not recommended. I'd like to take off at least 10 lbs, but I don't know that it will help this bulging. Clothes don't fit right and this is in no way like the benefit of a tummy tuck. Any ideas? I haven't asked at the Center yet, thinking the answer will be plication.

Thinking of you ladies recovering...

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2013

AnnAlive,  Sorry you are having trouble. There are other exercises besides crunches that strengthen the abdominal muscles that you could try.  Have you considered seeing a physical therapist (with your doctor's okay) or trying a yoga class?  Even cycling or rowing work the abs and strengthen the bones.  You could start with just sitting in a chair and lifting your (bent) legs while keeping your tummy pulled in.  I don't blame you for not wanting more surgery; I also was in the three ab surgeries within 12 months club.  I wish you the best!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2013

Jane, thanks for the tips. I have looked up more ab exercises and will work on those and maybe stationary bike at our neighborhood fitness room. Also thinking about a yoga DVD -- something. And lose a few pounds. My abdomen is shaped like a barrel since stage 2, and has worsened in the past few weeks (DH noticed but didn't want to say anything). I hope this can improve a lot. Please, somebody tell me you did this and it worked. Undecided  I am trying to overcome fatigue at the same time, so it will be more effort than I feel like doing.

Good labor day weekend to all.