Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2013

Ann, Plication will not help our bulge for a long time. I swear, it took over 2 years, maybe three, for me to recover from plication. All that surgery in that area causes bulging, and for me, plication made a worse bulge for a long time. I really think it just takes time and no more surgeries or "action" in that area to recover. I found that abdominal exercises would cause a reactivation of the bulge for a long time. But that's just me. Try it and see for yourself, because everyone is different. I did the exercises anyway, but I noticed it. I am still struggling with abdominal exercises. I had plication only up to my navel. what he did down below is hard as a rock and firm and works well. But there seems to be a disconnect between my upper abs and lower that I am struggling with! ugh. 

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2013

Thanks for your comments on plication. I have my stage 2 on Wednesday and it feels so weird not knowing what I'll be having done. I was thinking that maybe plication was in my future but now I'm thinking that maybe that's not the perfect answer. Because of insurance I have to be done with all stages by Dec 31.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited August 2013

Plication wasn't bad for me and I haven't had a real problem with an exercises. Honestly the lipo he did to my upper stomach is causing me more pain and swelling than the plication did and that surgery was a year ago. My stomach now is so swollen and I looked much better before my stage 2b in that area.

I'd talk with the doctors and weigh out the pros and cons and go from there.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2013

Spring, I made a note in my head months ago that you had said plication caused you an extra-long recovery, so I still want to avoid it. And hearing how temporary it is, it seems like a risk. I searched in Dr. D's Ask the Doctor, and found a few mentions of plication and abdominal bulge. He suggested with any weight gain after DIEP, there could be fat in the omentum -- around organs -- causing bulging, and that losing weight might help. He also agreed with some exercise such as planks.

Chelle, I think I had some lipo to my upper belly at stage 2. I still have swelling/bulge there too, and also didn't ever see much change after lipo to hips/thighs 8 months ago and again 2 months ago, but they say it can take a year. I feel I need at least a year with NO surgery now. I've had a few issues with the breast flaps too, but my ongoing concern is the annoying belly.

Klanders, just in time for you to ask more questions at your pre-op appointment next week. Wink

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2013

I want to share my belly experience. I went to physical therapy right after stage 1 immediate DIEP for loss of range of motion. My PT worked on my whole body. I was shocked to find I was doing my ab movements all wrong, over compensating for weak internal core. My PT said I needed to relearn proper movement for my abdominals, because the surgery cut the muscle memory pathway. So I started with the smallest of movements, movements I'd never seen before (former college athlete here!). Even though I am still overweight I don't have that barrel belly, and I attribute it to the PT. though I don't really know (it could be my long torso or eating gluten free). I think seeing a PT or personal trainer certified in cancer patient rehab can make a world of difference.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2013

I, too, would like to say that pliction was not a problem.  After the plication at 2a, I waited 8 weeks and then began working with a wonderful personal trainer who totally understood the situation and what was needed.  I also worked with a PT for 6 weeks on ROM for my arm, but got her to work on the core as well.  She used Pilates in the therapy (all the equipment right in the hospital PT suite).  Both talked to me about the need to refire the muscles after so much abdominal surgery.  We worked in stages, but after 8 more weeks I really think I am better for the plication.  I had to stop my personal trainer after 8 weeks (2x/week) because of 2b.  The plication did take care of the bulge above my abdominal incision quite nicely.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2013

Paula & Marty, thanks for your input. I went to PT in January for my left arm ROM after stage 2 and they did a nice job of flattening the axillary scars. Motion is still a little tight, but I haven't continued enough exercise. I think I must have an order to get PT, so will check on that. Last time they didn't like an "out of state" order. Am I asking for abdominal/core work?

Paula, I read on FB about your path report. Praying that you can handle new decisions and treatment, telling family, etc. I was surprised to see you comment here about "belly experience" when you suddenly have other concerns. Thank you.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited August 2013

slowly but surely....that is what I keep repeating in my head.

I have been trying to nail down a DIEP with a local doctor that specializes. It is out of network for my insurance. The office "girl" apparently works with insurance, as well as receptionist...is trying put it through as "in network with an exception" ...I have given up hope with her, as she kept saying call at this time, then at another time....etc.

Anyhow, in touch with NOLA and had out of network price quote in a week. A good chunk of money, but I guess I am worth it! (Isn't college for kids overrated anyway! Lol)

I think I am being assigned Dr. Sullivan? If it is based on who reviews photos. Extended DIEP flap procedure...is that a nice way of saying I have more fat to get rid of? Lol

Now I need to nail down a surgery date in October. I can't wait, I need to plan my life! Before, during, and after surgery! Woo hoo!

Thank you all for this thread....I never would have known I had options!

Pat

• klanders
    edited August 2013

Patty, I had the extended DIEP with Dr Sullivan. He had to extend it because I'm thin and he needed more fat so he got rid of my love handles, too. :-) I'm pleased with my results. My BMX was at the same time as my reconstruction. Wednesday is my stage 2. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. You are in great hands and it is worth every dime. I had a high deductible so I have to be done by Dec. 31. This thread saved me from implants and I'm so thankful for all these ladies and their advice.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2013

Hope everybody is having a beautiful holiday weekend 😀

I am 9 days out from stage 2 and have a couple questions ....

Did anybody cut there cut there nipple protectors down alittle?

I am a Uni and it is very uncomfortable going outside 😳

Also in regards to the binder/girdle, did anybody NOT keep it on 24/7 for the full 2 weeks, I don't know how much more I can take with the tightness of it and the heat we have going on here in California 😜 😰 😩

Thanks for any input

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2013

I think a lot of ladies have to cut their nipple protectors down a little. They are huge!!! I kept my compression garment on almost always, but I was afraid not to after 8.5 weeks of hip drains after stage 1. A little break is prob not too bad if you don't have any swelling.

• Marcie47
    edited September 2013

Thanks LA,

I decided to buy an off the rack girdle to use for a couple hour break and then I go back to the binder, it is a great break.

I'll probably cut the protector at the end of week 2 if u still need it.

Thanks again

• Marcie47
    edited September 2013

Hey has anybody heard from bdavis?

She sounded a little down the last time, Ii hope she is feeling better, I know she shares her knowledge here for the others going through it.

She helped me with questions I had along the way, as did lots of others in this great sight.

Have a great Labor Day 🙋

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2013

She may be busy with the beginning of a new school year...

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

And getting her kids to college as she is now an empty nester.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2013

Here I am ladies... Yes, I sent my youngest to college last week (sigh), and then went away for the long weekend to the beach. Plus some husband issues.... I didn't bring the laptop for a little reprieve.

Marcie... yes, go cut those protectors down. And you are wearing a girdle or binder? I wore my girdles 24/7 for 2 weeks and then another 4 weeks during the day.

• Marcie47
    edited September 2013

Thanks Betsy, glad you had some time away, hope it was good.

I had the binder on after surgery, and they sent me home with the one cuz I had my other 2 from stage 1 and they were still good. I bought 1 marina stage 2 girdle that I have been wearing in between the binders. I think I was just having a bad day cuz I only wore the off the rack one for a couple hours 1 day and have been wearing the girdle/binders 24/7 since surgery.

This Friday will be 2 weeks since stage 2 and I am doing pretty well, one more week off since I do lifting at my job.

I haven't cut my nipple protectors. I probably will this week, how long did everybody wear them before not using them anymore?

Thanks and hope the day was a good one.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2013

Marcie... I wore the nipple protectors for 3 weeks... and I believe you can't lift for 4-6 weeks... so check on that.

• klanders
    edited September 2013

I'm at NOLA. This place is really busy today. I feel so sad knowing what all these women (and 1 guy!) are going through. Some you can tell must be heading into stage 1 just because the emotions seem so raw. :-(

Great news for me! I kept my skin/nipples at stage 1 and Dr. Sullivan is really pleased with how I look. This should be my only stage 2 and he says it will take less than an hour. Just a little scar revision, a little bit of lipo/fill and fixing the area around my nipples a bit so my headlights aren't so big. I'm happy with how I look now. Hopefully it will just be even better when he's done. So no plication, no drains, and I should be able to walk onto the plane on Saturday instead of being in a wheelchair - although I might use it anyway. My surgery has been backed up so now we get to sleep in a bit. Being picked up at 7am for a 9am surgery.

Looking forward to being pampered by the NOLA staff. Stage 1 was pretty rough for me (understatement) - and I had an extended stay. I just get one night this time.

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

Kristen, sounds wonderful!  I so hope it works out for you.  That skin/nipple sparing is the best way to get natural looking breasts and it is wonderful it was an option for you!

• mtpeteacher
    mtpeteacher Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2013

Good news, klanders! Hope you have a short surgery/nap and love your new results even better!

• ssla01
    ssla01 Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2013

Congratulations Klanders! Great news. Hope everything goes great.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited September 2013

Ladies I'm typing this from my phone so please forgive any typos, but I need advice and opinions.

First, I did not have hip drains this time and I have a dime size incision opening on my right hip and yesterday a pea size opening happened on my left hip. I sent pics and they aren't infected but Laura called me back and said they were sending mesupplies to do wet to dry bandage. Soaking gauge in saline and applying it to the wounds and then putting a dry bandage on top of that and changing it twice a day. Had anyone else done this before?

Second, I just spent 2 hours at my primary care doctors office 😔

I don't feel right (getting dizzy and lightheaded) and overall very fatigued!! I've had 3 surgeries in 14 months and my hubby says its just taking a huge toll on my body and its taking me longer to bounce back this time. My blood is ok, but blood pressure is on the low side 100/60. I just don't feel like myself and those who know me, know I was working out 3-5 times a week and some workouts were 2 hours long....I can't even get through the day. My last surgery was July 26th. I do agree with my husband, but this just makes me mad. I feel huge, but apparently I am really swollen in my hip stomach area cause I've only gained 1 1/2 lbs. sorry for the rant, but I'm hoping I'm not alone in this.

You are all amazing and supportive!!!

Love and hugs!!!

Chelle

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2013

Klanders, I'm glad this surgery looks like it is going to be easier for you. Good luck!

Chelle, congrats on making it through your second surgery. I do think the surgeries and the rest of it take a toll. I felt like my node biopsy really drained me, and the rest just piled on. Maybe there is something fixable, but maybe you just need to give yourself some time and rest. (Easier said than done, I know!).

Question...I have a friend of a friend who was told she had to wait 1 year after radiation to do a DIEP. Anyone heard that? Does it depend on the PS? I'm wondering if it was the PS that said it or the rads onc. I'm meeting her next week and I thought I'd do some research.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited September 2013

Oh Cherrie, so happy for you!

Marcie, I pm'd you:)

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Chelle I had to do wet to dry when I had openings in my incisions with my expanders. I hated it and felt like I needed a nurse. It was to debrid the wound and then he re-stiched. I hope yours close up on their own. I'm thinking you are over-whelmed and stressed over all this and it is causing your issues. You have come so far!!! Give your self time to heal and relax as much as possible. I've learned to listen to my body when I'm tired. It's so hard to do when you were working out so much and now you have to scale it back! Rest:) hugs!!!!

• Russell1
    edited September 2013

Marsha..I know they do like to wait sometime after rads to do reconstuction. 6 months or more.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2013

Hi Chelle.  I completely empathize with you. Each surgery seems to take a bigger chunk out of you. The good news is that eventually you do feel better...and you do lose the surgery weight.  I think the body sort of goes into shock and stores fluids all over the place (completely unsubstantiated thought).  I had 4 surgeries in 9 months and it probably took me about that time to feel 100% myself again. That doesn't mean I didn't feel good and active but I just wasnt back where I started from.  Swelling wise too (hate to say this) it took awhile for things to totally go down. But when it goes down it looks great. Don't worry about the bloating - it really does go away too. The negative thing is that it doesn't happen as quickly as we hope it will.  But in the end it is all worth it since you'll have your gorgeous body for years to come!

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013

Klanders - I'm so happy for you! You deserve an "easier" surgery after your Stage 1 battle.

Michelle - hang in there girl! You've been through too much & come too far. Do they know why the openings happened? It's not infected so that's a plus. It sucks when things are so hard then finally get good then the sucky sneaks back in.

You've done it before you can do it again, you're one tough chick! I'm praying for you.

• MartyJ
    edited September 2013

Michelle - we are about a week apart on our Stage 2b.  I think you had a bit more done this time than I did as Dr. M knew my DH was having bigger surgery the next day.  I have had 3 surgeries in 9 months.  Some days I feel fantastic, but on days like today I went to the doc with my husband and the grocery (out for 3 hours) and came home needing a 2 hour nap.  I really think you need to give your body time to heal and get rid of the anesthesia.  I hope you are drinking lots of fluids to flush and rehydrate.  Keep your chin up.