Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Greetings!

I am checked into Hope Lodge.

Thank you to those who had written of asking for a hospital bed.

I actually remembered to ask. At the time they had assigned my room there was none available...but because I asked, and there was availability I got one!

Also took care of the rental car.

Enterprise was only 4 blocks from the Homewood Suites, so we picked up our car there (they would have picked us up but all that walking we've done over 2 days what was 4 more blocks!). We can drop the car at any Enterprise. This alleviates a huge stress as to how hubby was going to get from Point A to point B...we also have a friend somewhere in the New Orleans area that can use a visit, (he has been ill) so I am hoping to try that too.

Thank you ladies for telling your stories I've learned a lot.

Pre-op tomorrow....one step closer.

Pat

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited September 2013

Thanks soooo much. It has been one hell of a day.

My MRI is on Oct. 8 with a follow up on the 11th with the doc. It has to be good news. I think the word dementia threw me the most. My mother suffered from this. I think I can deal with hearing aides, but it pisses me off at my age. I will be 59 on the 12th.

Maggie- I was wondering how you were doing too! Can't wait to see you in February.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2013

I still do not have my skin biopsy results/report from Univ of San Fran Med Cntr.  Was told it could take up to 2 more weeks but the local path report was inflammation - that sounds GREAT, right?    That is my story and I am sticking to it.  

I will be in NOLA for BRA day.  Will anybody else be there?  

• Jane123
    edited September 2013

Cherrie, You are in my prayers.

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013

Cherrie - oh my goodness, what a day you had! Something as simple as wanting a hearing eval then to hear words like MRI, tumor, and dementia after just getting off the roller coaster ride you were on is nuts! I don't know a one of us that wouldn't have felt a need to reach out. Well this is definitely the place to come & vent cause we get it & we really do care. Sounds like they're just covering the bases. Unfortunately they don't realize what all that info does to us. Hang tough and know we are there for you.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2013

cherrie...I am doing ok...going through some emotional turbulance right now.  Physically I am good and I am not sure why I feel so disconnected from everyone.  My hubs has been so amazing through all of this but I feel almost like I am pushing everyone away.  Everything irritates me right now and I cannot tolerate more than a 10 minute conversation. My BFF who is also my SIL is going through some serious marital problems and has found herself alone after 34 yr of marriage and I am trying my best to keep strong for her but inside I want to scream.  I know that this too shall pass and is part of the healing process. 

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

great...while doing mld last night i found a hard lump in leftie--the original cancer side.  it is very close to the surface and is really hard--just like the original.  I just happened to have an appt today with my onc but i am sure she is going to want to get some pics on it.  I cried myself to sleep last night---there is no way i can jump on this train

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Aw Maggie, I am so very sorry.  I am going to pray for necrosis!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Maggie- I just went through this a few days before my surgery. Have Dr. M talk to your oncologist. My area was surgical changes. I had am MRI and an Ultrasound. It can be an area of blood engorgement, necrosis, vascular changes, etc. all this worry we have to go through. It gets weary!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Ok I'm saying a prayer for all of us ladies right now!!!! Sounds like we are all fighting something right now:( We will stay strong for each other and carry on!!!!! Big Hugs!!!!!

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2013

Mother, so sorry to hear stage 2 was so rough! I guess I got of easy because I've lost so much weight (not on purpose) that I didn't give them much to work with. My lipo was in outer thighs and the bruising was really bad. I can only imagine how miserable you must be with so much lipo. And to think - some people do lipo "just because." How are those drains doing? I can't believe they let you go home so soon. But I guess we were telling you how easy it would be - sorry! Hopefully every day is a little easier. I was told compression for 2 weeks. Dr M told Cherrie "forever." What has Dr D said? I'm a month out and I'm still wearing my girdle most days. My stomach poofs out when I don't wear it. End result - hopefully you'll love it. We had some friends over last week and I was basically told (by a friend's husband) that my stage 2 was just vanity and in his view I should be done with surgery. Open mouth insert foot! He might feel differently if it was his wife! But I am done. I have nothing left to give.

Cherrie and Maggie - extra hugs and prayers for you. We still need to have a West Michigan get together when you are feeling up to it Cherrie.

Thought for the day - Life - plus cancer - isn't for sissies!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Klanders...Wow! some nerve of that man!

Mother..each day will get better:) so sorry this has been tough for you.

Believe it or not...I'm having bunion surgery next week or close. It is 100% covered and my plan is going away because of Obamacare:( I'm not looking forward to this at all but it needs done.

Cherrie, Mags, and mother..sending positive energy:)

• Jane123
    edited October 2013

klanders, Some people...

My dermatologist called today to tell me the diagnosis:  psuedolymphoma.  I just need to give up a bit more flesh and monitor my overall health and that is all, thank goodness.   I will have a bigger chunk taken out in Dec - he said it is fine to wait until then - since I am not up to any more surgery right now.  

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes!  I hope the other lumps we are hearing about turn out to be of no real concern and I will continue to pray for you all. 

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

gyn wants me to see onc for the lump.  have appt late thursday morning.  Will keep ya posted :(

Mags

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Maggie - holding my breath for you!

Jane - sounds so much better.  Although don't google images, just saying.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

LAStar, I have turned the corner, indeed. I almost feel guilty for having done so well after hearing everyone say Stage 1 is the worst. My law department at the corporation where I work has honored me at the Komen race by naming the team after me and using my situation as the face of this ugly disease. They were so supportive of my situation, that I felt compelled to show up at the race nine days after surgery to cheer them on. Never imagined that I would be feeling well enough to do that!

Although now I'm wondering if maybe Stage 2 might not be the more painful part with the lipo and all. Mother, hope you are feeling well soon.

Cherrie, I continue to pray for you. Don't be afraid to ask for a prescription of Xanax ahead of your MRI. They will only prescribe one or two. One under your tongue a few minutes before the test should do the trick. If not, pop the second one. They deal with it all the time.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Great news Jane! so happy to hear the "pseudo" diagnosis. Sorry you have to undergo more surgery, but you are tough. Hugs.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2013

Awww ladies...lots of bad news on here :(  Cherrie, hopefully the Dr. was just being overly cautious.  Sometimes I think they don't realize that we literally hang on to every single word they say.  Mags....I can't even imagine.  Definitely thinking of you.  Melanie...good thing you are getting this in before your insurance goes away, but another surgery probably seems daunting right about now.

I seemed to have finally turned a corner.  I'm not taking pain pills anymore and I'm betting I lose my last drain tomorrow.  First time I've lost my drains this quickly.  My previous surgeries they've stuck around for weeks.  I'm so glad to have this surgery behind me and be feeling better.  I recovered so quickly the first two times, I think I thought I was some sort of miraculous healer lol.  I was definitely put in my place this go around. 

• Barbmal5
    Barbmal5 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2013

Thinking and praying for all you girls. This ride certainly isn't for the faint hearted.

Klanders are you kidding me?! What the heck is that guys address! I'm coming over right now to "educate" him. If it were his penis or testicles I'm betting he'd be on about stage 8c by now. I do know how you feel though. Sometimes it's so much easier to nod your head, smile and walk away. If I end up needing a stage 2b I'm not telling anybody. I'm just making it into a family vacation so nobody but those that get it will even know.

Mags, wish I could come over there and give you a big hug ( then quickly leave). It's so hard going through all this especially when it seems like it'll never end. But seriously when I look back at everything you've been through & what brave choices you've made and how well you've done, I just know you'll pull through this too. Just go into your room close the door and have a little me time, dance, scream, cry, holler, swear, then put on your super woman outfit (or in our case our compression garments) and face whatever needs facing that minute. One minute at a time. I'll be in your pocket.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Zenful and Audrella!  Hopefully Mother will be joining the club soon.

Maggie, glad you are getting in soon.  A few of us have been a little lumpy lately.  If you have any imaging done, see if Dr. M might have a look too.  My local docs recommended biopsies, so it was nice that Dr. Stolier could definitively say that it was oil deposits from the necrosis on that side and save me the pain, stress, and trouble.    

Klanders, good grief!  What a doofus.  I love when people take positions on things that THEY KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT.  Barbmal, I LOL'd over his Stage 8c penis surgery!!! Laughing

Russell, good luck with your surgery!

Cherrie, I hope you are hanging in there and taking your mind off things once in a while. Don't over-google!

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

emailed Dr M and she is recommending a biopsy with ultrasound.  Will see what my Onc thinks tomorrow.  Trying to remember how to breathe.  I hate this so much

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Maggie-I am glad you are getting in quickly. LA is right. Have Dr. M look at the CD. She got my results and consulted with my oncologist. Thinking of you for sure.

Klanders- I can't believe what your friends husband said. How did you hold your cool? What a donkey!! Some people just don't know how to keep their mouth shut. I am going to VA. Iam hoping to get together in early November. I can't wait to meet you!

Zenful- Hey surgery partner. I also had an uneventful recovery after the first couple of weeks. Hurrah! Don't feel guilty, be thankful. Stage 2 is easier. Lipo isn't fun, but it is short lived.

Audrella- so happy that you are healing and feeling better!

LAStar- thanks! It was the doctor that gave me research on dementia and hearing loss. I wish he hadn't. It threw me.

I do have a prescription for 2 pills of Valium for this brain MRI on Tuesday! I refuse to believe there is a problem there. I could not handle it so I choose to believe that it is all fine and I am sure the odds would support this.

Have a great day everyone!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2013

Hi Ladies,

Its been a while since I posted on the board. September 26th was my 1 yr anniversary of my Stage 1 (PBM w/ hip flaps). Life has been eventful in lots of ways. I decided to take on a new career path in February. I feel that going through this experience last year gave me some extra courage to try something new. I have had the opportunity to run 2 half marathons. I got emotional at the starting line b/c I was just so happy to be partaking in this kind of event. I have really pushed myself to keep positive as it is not always easy...I find myself feeling empowered and other days still taking in what happened over the last year.

My younger sister (26 years old) just found out she is also BRCA 2+. She has a 2 1/2 toddler and is a single mom. She wants to have surgery asap. All those feelings from last year came rushing back and I just wish she did not have to face this. She is handling it well and I know I need to be strong to help her through.

My husband and I just returned from NOLA to celebrate the 1 yr anniversary from surgery as well as our 8 yr wedding anniversary. It was a fun trip and emotional too..but in a good way. We did a 5k fun run. We saw the run last year as we were driving home from the day I was released from the hospital so it was fun to run the same race the following year. I decided to really step outside my comfort zone and got a tattoo while we were there as well! I got a small fleur de lis tattoo on my ribs... ouchh!! I still can't believe I did this but it helps me remember the journey and the special place that NOLA is.

I told myself that I would come back recharged and stronger to help my sister. We meet with an oncologist next week and then it will be flurry of appointments.She has never had a mammogram or MRI so she will be going through a lot of new things in the near future.

To all the ladies here- You are all very brave and strong. This is such a wonderful site with a supportive group of women! Maggie, you are one tough lady. I will being praying for you.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Kerry - thank you for sharing.  While concerned for your sister, your positive year has made my morning.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

Waving from my hospital room. I made it through and am wondering if anyone got the number of the bus that ran me over!

Had a complication and was back in the OR last night....large hematoma. Took about an hour to fix it up.

Got out of bed today after 1:30...they "took it easy on me" due to the late night surgery. Coughing is a real bitch. Trying that machine, I'm not liking it, but know I need to be doing it.

I am already feeling way better having moved out of bed.

Pat

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Aw, Patty, so sorry.  I had a return engagement 2 days after DIEP.  I am hoping now that you will be good to go!

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

so MRI and US are scheduled for Monday morning.  Doc (ONC) said that it feels like a lump in the middle of a "hole" or "crator" .  I know that Dr M lipoed out some extra fluff from there in Stage 2 6 wks ago so maybe it is the dust settling.  I really hope so cuz I know I do not want to do this again. 

Maggie

• Jane123
    edited October 2013

So sorry, Maggie.  I am hoping for the best.

• harmonysun
    harmonysun Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2013

hello....thank you gals for your answers...how awesome the variety of ladies on here where one gal will ask pertinent questions...another share experiences...and another give great support.....i am going to see dr massey tomorrow...i havent seen or talked to her in several months and ive missed her....i am nervous and scared as much as i try to convince myself otherwise....i did not have lipo so wouldnt be from that...i thought the chances of a recurrent breast cancer is very small from a mast?....also, if there was cancer there, how do they know if it spread, and with lymph node involvement if there already was a snb?....arghhhhh....thanks for listening....

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2013

To see if there is more cancer after BMX they do imaging (ultrasound, mammogram, MRI, CT, bone scan, PET). They won't do all imaging necessarily, but based on judgement of what symptoms are presenting. The additional imaging is always based on symptoms or poor pathology result, not just because. If they find something on imaging they do a biopsy. If a biopsy is positive then treatment discussion starts.