Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

Wow ladies.... lots going on.

Audrella... About the bruising. I think it is very common, even two weeks out to be bruised. But by all means email a picture to Jeanine so you feel better about it. I sent pictures all the time. They like to get them as it makes them feel in the loop.

Jenlee... hmmm.... I am going to say that the US probably is seeing necrosis or some DIEP related tissue. Doctors are not used to looking at our kind of reconstruction. So breathe... But I do agree that some sort of surveillance is good. My doctors don't believe in it, and its kind of frustrating.

Melanie... I saw your Fb picture of your foot. Looks much better.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

thanks Bdavis :)

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2013

Jennifer, I think waiting for those results are the worst times. I'm sending out vibes for peace during the wait.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

had my 1 week post op today. 3 of 4 drains are out. I asked them to have hubby do one as he will be removing the final hip drain at home. Dr.Sullivan obliged. Hubby did a good job. I feel better going home with the one drain.

Pat

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

I'm sure that was a relief to get those out! How are you feeling?

• Pattysmiles
    edited October 2013

I am feeling pretty good. Went from the "hit by a truck" feeling and "Groucho marks" walking to felling a mostly numb belly and almost upright. One week difference and I can get in and out of bed so much easier too! Today we leave Hope Lodge, and the wonderful hospital bed (wish I could bring it home) and head home.

I do have muscle aching in my back, probably from all the compensating.

Pat

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2013

I will be in NOLA next week, Mon. - Wed. Anybody else going to be there for BRA day or any other reason? Tamara

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Pat - you sound terrific. See if you can get the center to give you some flexerill for your back. Works like a charm on the muscle spasms from overcompensating. Drive safely!

• Pattysmiles
    edited October 2013

ok, my head is spinning.

I received a call from Dr. Furhman, he did the mastectomy part of my surgery.

He asked if I had gotten my pathology yet, to which I replied no.

He told me there was additional cancer in the original breast so I should not doubt my decision. Nothing except fibrous changes in the left...and I don't care about that. I wasn't thinking about what this means. I asked him to forward a report to my oncologist.

After I got off the phone it hit me...what the HELL does this mean? I just finished chemo in July. How can they "find" cancer. Shouldn't it have been killed off? Do they find "traces of what WAS cancer?" I tried calling back and their nurse is out to lunch. I tried my nurse navigator and she is off today. I already had an appointment with my oncologist for Tuesday....so I have to wait til then! Anyone have a similar experience or input as to what this might mean? I can't even remember if he said 9mm or 9cm...big difference! But again, shouldn't there have been nothing if I did chemo?

So I am sitting in hope lodge lobby, waiting 3 more hours for ride to airport and trying to figure this out. Not feeling very "hopeful".

Pat

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

Pat, can you try to get him (or the PA or nurse) back on the phone? Can you request that an electronic copy of your pathology report be emailed to you immediately? I'm so sorry that you have gotten this news on your way out. It would have been better to review this at your follow-up appt. Did he tell you anything about staging? I'm glad you have the oncologist appointment already set, but Tuesday probably feels like forever at this point. Take a deep breath and try to rest your body on this big travel day. You did make the right decision and you can be so thankful for that. My thoughts are with you!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

Patty....so sorry....hate it when they throw a bone out there and dangle it in front of us. hoping you get some answers before you board your flight home.

My MRI results are in and it showed that the "mass" is likely related to surgery and not of a malignant nature!!!! WOOT WOOT. Such a relief.

Cherrie--any news?

Maggie

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Maggie - Y. E. S. !!!!

• lastar
    edited October 2013

Whew, Maggie! I know a weight has been lifted!

• Pattysmiles
    edited October 2013

Maggie, congrats!

The Doctor himself called me back. He was so kind to explain himself...to this crazed woman.

He said it means "nothing" except that there was additional cancer. The margins were good. He believes my choice (mastectomy) was the correct one as he doesn't think radiation would have been useful in my case do to the multi focal...this was additional 9mm of cancer, but again, hidden so well that mammo/ultrasound did not find it and neither did MRI.

I feel better now.

Meet with my oncologist on Tuesday and she will have my report by then. At least I feel I can breathe again.

Thank you all for listening!

Pat

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013

Whew, Pat! Great news. Safe flight!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited October 2013

Dr. Betsy Davis, you were 100% correct, I got the call today and it was fat necrosis. So I ate myself into a food coma last night, all for nothing. Many thanks to those of you who sent words of encouragement, it meant the world to me.

Katiejane, my post op from stage 2 said that a hernia was repaired. It was in the exact spot where I had poor healing after stage 1. It feels like it's coming back, but I'll deal with that some other day.

As they say, "F" cancer! Wishing everyone fewer worries and better health.

xo Jenifer

• lastar
    edited October 2013

Yay, Pat -- you must be doubly relieved! Good margins and some sneaky cancer gone.

Good news, Jenifer! I just went through the same thing. Darn fat necrosis!

Now if we can just get some good news from Cherrie, I think we might have a worry-free weekend ahead.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Great news Pat, Jen, and Maggie. I hope to get my news tomorrow and it just has to be good, right?

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited October 2013

my guess is that it is negative

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2013

Jenifer... Glad I was right... Its so hard when you are waiting and worried. Our lives are forever changed as we now may see things as worrisome when before it was not.

Pat... Phew. I read your post (and my path was similar to yours in that I had lumpectomy and then chose MX). It is reassuring to know that you did choose correctly. I am sure when they did the lumpectomy, they missed some. Unfortunately chemo can't irradicate all cancer cells, especially 9mm... But who knows, maybe it had been bigger before chemo. I too had TC, and then the MX, and all my tissue was clean. But I have no regrets because I could have just as easily had cancer that was missed. I am happy for you that your MX was 100% justified AND that they margins were clean. All good.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

Oh geez!!! Reading through all this now and I'm so relieved its good news for all!! Cherrie you are next!!!

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

I too had multi-focal areas of cancer found after my masectomy. Also a speck was found in the other breast. I had chemo before my masectomy. It also spread to my nodes:( I then had to do radiation and chemo pills.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited October 2013

Audrella, I am so mad about your obgyn's comment about your surgery being "vain". Who is he to judge you? And what is wrong, exactly, for wanting to look and feel whole?

Living with the unsatisfactory result of my lumpectomy started to get to me after a while but I would never have wanted to give up the time to recover from another surgery when I was "done" with all that cancer stuff. But when I got the second diagnosis I knew what I needed to do and I knew I needed to invest the time to get it right. I know it's not the right choice for everyone, but I dare anyone to question my choices.

I booked my flight for my January surgery this week. Got a pretty good deal. I just hope we don't get some major snowstorm. I've had trouble with January travel before. I picked a flight transferring through Atlanta so I wouldn't get stuck in some place like Chicago.

Also I returned to work a few weeks ago and I am so much happier. I was actually a little sad when I realized Monday was a holiday. Last chemo is 2 weeks from now.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Marsha-I can't believe you are already talking about stage 2. Yay! So glad you are doing well. I will be in Chesapeake on Monday for two weeks, visiting my baby girl.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

Marsha :) you sound great!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

saw gyn today for my follow up and now the US report is in....it does not contradict the mri but says that the mass is a cyst with some debris in it and should be followed up. See surgeon in 2 weeks (soonest they had appt available) to see if it should be biopsied. The reports is not absolute in any direction and with history of BC doc says let's check it out....errrrr!!!!! Sent copies of reports to Dr M and will see what she has to say about all this.....so irritating.

Going on Vacation next week for a long weekend in the mountains. Been really looking forward to this for a while now. Will not let this spoil it!

yeah Jenifer and Patty!!!

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2013

Marsha so good to hear from you!

Patty... I thoroughly loved dr. furhman. I was his first patient this spring at St. Charles.... He was super kind and compassionate. Congrats on making such an important decision.

I have slowly come back to life. Two weeks since Stage 2. For me, Stage 1 was a breeze comparatively.... this only serves to remind everyone that these surgeries are so different for each of us.

I'm so glad to hear of everyone is doing well. I'm hoping to finally get some energy back and move forward.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

mags..curious to hear what Dr. M has to say. Have a nice vacay!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

Zenful and TTay, I added your dates to the list!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

good news today everyone! Thanks for prayers and support. My son is in from Seattle for the weekend. I leave for Virginia on Monday to see the rest of my family.