Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Pattysmiles..sorry about your hematoma. Glad you are feeling better!

Mags..I am waiting for your MRI results.Hope they make it stat so you can put your mind at ease.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

Pat,

I just now added your Oct 2 surgery above, but see you're doing well! (Sorry, I missed it in my PM list somehow). 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Patty- sorry about the complication, but you are sounding well. Sending healing ((((vibes)))) your way.

Thinking of you Maggie. Did Dr. M get involved? Sorry you have to go through this. My MRI is Tuesday!

I am "up north" on the west coast of Lake Michigan. Rainy, but oh so beautiful.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

Marcie47, I added your Stage 2a date with Dr. D above, on Dec 11.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

She is involved in that as soon as the results come in she will know. I asked my care cooridinator if it did turn out to be something if Dr M would take it out for me as I do not want any other doctor touching what she and I have worked so hard for! Today was a good day...busy lunching with hubby...getting blood work for MRI...never had to do that before then dinner with daughter and chillin out by the water until the sun set. The odds really are in my favor on this so trying to focus on that!

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Maggie, that is a great focus. I am trying to do the same thing. I predict good news for both of us. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2013

hey Ladies, just checking in with you - back from an emotional week in NOLA with my cousin Carrie who had surgery with Dr. S and Dr. Stolier last Friday - truthfully she had a very tough time for the first few days, mostly around her pain management. I don't have anything to compare it to other than my recovery and I feel terrible that I had an "easier" time than her and that she was comparing her recovery to mine and feeling "behind" - but we helped every way we can and got her through the worst, she lost 3 drains at post op and he home today and very happy now. On the plus side it was great to see all the Docs, PA's, nurses, etc - love them all! Plus they put Carrie in one of the suites over the weekend - swanky ;-)

We got to see Pat and her husband the day after her surgery and chat for a bit which was great! Pat you looked fantastic, sorry to hear about your "hiccup" but it seems like they resolved quickly - hope you are feeling stronger and stronger every day!

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

Denouement....sorry your cousin had a tough time. Thanks for the update. She is truly blessed to be in the best of hands and have a great supporting family!!!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2013

Thank you spring for adding my date :-)

I have been a lurker lately but want Everybody to know what a supportive group you all are and I feel blessed to have found you.

While we are going through the valleys of the horrors of this disease, we don't think we will ever see the peaks.......

Life is good and I continue to put one foot in front of the other and before you know it, life blossoms :-) this is not to say you forget, in fact I just had my 2 year check up and was worried as hell but all is well.

The journey of life is hard but having the support and love (whether it is in cyberspace or in your own home) we can't travel this journey alone and I want to thank you all for carrying me when I didn't have the strength to carry myself.

Keep up the good work and sharing your journey with others, it REALLY does make a difference

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

denouement...Dana. I enjoyed the brief visit. Thank you for stopping in. It wasn't a bar with a nice martini or Hurricane but it was as enjoyable as could be given the circumstance! You look phenomenal...giving me something to aspire to down the road and your cousins ability to be walking as upright as she was gives me hope for the near future.

I get set free from the hospital today. I was able to shower myself (who would think a shower could be exciting) and had assistance to redress the incisions. No binders...just a front closing bra.

Looking forward to watching my body transform.

Pat

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2013

Ladies, This is really about my DIEP reconstruction which I had done in July of 2012 but something that has developed since. I'm just curious-has anyone developed any type of abdominal/inguinal hernia secondary to their DIEP flap reconstruction? I was told by my surgeon(post-op) that I had very thin/weak abdominal lining and it was difficult for them to bring it all together when closing without it tearing. Now I have developed this inguinal hernia & I am facing yet another surgery for repair-UGH!

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this! Thanks! Katiejane

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Katiejane-I am so sorry you are going through this. I can't help you here, but am interested if others have had this too. When is your surgery for this? Was your DIEP done in NOLA?

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited October 2013

Cherrie, I haven't scheduled the surgery yet since I just had a bout of sepsis and cellulitis which put me in the hospital for 5 days. I am so, so sick of hospitals! :). I do want to get it done before the end of the year since I have met my annual deductibles w/ insurance.

My DIEP was done in NOLA and I also have a strong family history of hernia's. Yes, I do wonder if others have had this problem. Katiejane

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Katiejane- You need to feel great before scheduling another surgery. Maybe December. That would give you time to heal and you won't owe money due t deductible being met. That is why I had to finish my surgeries this year. I totally understand. Let us know how you are doing.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2013

katiejane, check out this thread regarding hernia repair: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/709073?page=3#post_3611520

It discusses a hernia repair done by a PS and gastroentologist in New York. It sounds like a promising non-mesh technique that they are willing to share. Might be worth looking into then sharing with your PS.

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2013

It has been a long time since I posted anything here. You have all been in my heart and thoughts but this comment about Dr. D. Just cracked me up. He is just so cute! We always refer to him as Dr. Damm

When I recently mentioned that I might go back for 2b there was a family feud started as to who gets to go with me.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2013

Pat - was great to see you albeit briefly. I agree it would have been better at a bar! How did your transition from the hospital back to the Hope Lodge go? Hoping you are doing better and better each day. Carrie also had a hernia issue when they redid her belly button last week and Dr. S said they would fix during stage 2 - not sure about the details but hope that helps.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2013

Before I bug Jeanine or Dr. D, thought I'd post my question here. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery and have some significant bruising still on my abdomen. Right where the bruising is, it's tender and swollen. I know the bruising can take a while to resolve, but the rest of my bruising doesn't look nearly this bad, and it's not swollen or tender. What say you all....just needs time to resolve or is something going on?

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

had my mri and ultrasound today...now the wait til I see the doc on Thursday then another follow up for blood work I had done with my gyn Friday. Been getting random periods but blood work showed me in menopause a yr ago so gotta see what she has to say.

US tech was a moron. When I took the gown off to do the test he looked at the flap and said "Oh no nipple? How am I supposed to describe where anything is? Why don't you have a nipple?" Idiot I just said back "double Mastectomy....inculding the nipples...that is how they do it. I am sure you can figure something out" ERRRR

Cherrie...I know your mri is tomorrow...will be thinking of you. They did put headphones on me but could not hear the music as the kinda fell off when I had to turn my head sideways. Did the doc prescribe you something? best of luck --will be waiting to hear from you

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

Mags...sorry you had that experience with MRI. Thursday can't get here soon enough. Hate the waiting.

Cherrie..thinking of you tomorrow.

I am having my bunion surgery tomorrow at 10:30 am. I'm not nervous at all after all the surgeries I've had! lol

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Cherrie, thinking of you today.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

Audrella, did you have lipo in the very tender spot? I had a spot that was lipo'd that hurt like heck, longer than any other spot. It was in my armpit, and Jeanine and Laura could tell that Dr. D had done a number on it. I wouldn't feel at all concerned about bugging Dr. D or Jeanine -- it's what they do. I hope you have some resolution on it already.

Maggie and Cherrie, I hope you will both get some good news soon.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2013

Hope all went well for you today Cherrie and Melanie! You are right Melanie, after what you've been through, you can certainly handle a little ol' bunion :)

LA...yes, I had lipo where the tenderness and swelling is. It's a very large area on my right ribcage and a small, marble sized area on my left ribcage.

I had a post-op appointment today with my local ob/gyn. Dr. Von Almen was not able to start me on estrogen replacement because he found endometriosis while doing the hysterectomy/oophorectomy. I left my Dr.'s office in tears today. He was flippant about my hormone replacement therapy and called me vain for having this most recent surgery. I couldn't believe how he was acting and felt like I was looking in on the appointment rather than actually being there. Had a good cry, and went to work today. Thankfully the day got progressively better. Feels good to be back into my normal routine....and my high heels :)

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

oh Audrella I wish I were there to give him a piece of my mind and a kick in his a##!! They just don't get it!!!!!! Ugh!!! Hugs!!!

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

my monster bunion is gone and in not in any pain!

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

Audrella...what a jerk! So sorry that he treated you like this. Perhaps a new doctor is in order

Melanie...glad it went well for you today. Take it easy on that foot

Cherrie...how are you?

Maggie

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Audrella, we just need to learn to talk back to these a$$wipes. (Sorry) They think they are so powerful. I too would get a new doctor.

Melanie- glad things are going well for you. How long is recovery?

Maggie- I did take a Valium and it went better than expected. Now we wait for results. I get mine on Friday late PM. I could not handle anything but good news. I am not kidding you. I have maxed out my bad news for the last two years.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Russell glad your bunionectomy was painless.

Cherrie - praying for all good news coming your way.

Audrella - your ob/gyn should retire now. What a crappy attitude. He probably thinks PMS is a made up thing, too. Find a woman doctor - at least they usually get it from experience.

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

thanks ladies for the well wishes ! My recovery is about 4-6 weeks .

Cherrie...I'm with you! I'm maxed out with bad news for the last 2 years also!! I'm going to ask for Ativan in my Iv at My MRI in November. They want me to get it before my tats in December. Hugs Ladies!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited October 2013

I just wanted to circle back on some previous posts about surveillance after our flap reconstructions. It seems that surgeons and oncologists are in agreement that mammograms aren't needed. Some, including myself, are getting breast MRi's. An exception is the breast surgeon that I chose for semi-annual surveillance. She sent me for the MRI in January (which was fine), but has been after me to get a mammogram and ultrasound. Her point is that with any revonstruction, there is still breast tissue left behind. Surprisingly, the mammogram didn't hurt at all. I was terrified, but it makes sense that it wouldn't hurt because there are no nerves there. Plus, my local breast center has new equipment since I was diagnosed two yrs ago, and they don't compress the breast much. The mammogram didn't show anything, but the ultrasound did show something in the axilla area on my former cancer side. Either fat necrosis, a cyst, or cancer. I begged them to do a biopsy immediately but they were booked for the next few days. Fortunately, the head tech intervened, so three biopsies later, I'm waiting for results. I almost threw up, I almost fainted, almost had a complete melt down. I will think positively and put on my big girl panties before my nine yr old daughter gets home from school.

The point of my rambling post is that you might want to take this into consideration when you're making your own decisions about surveillance, since my ultrasound did show something that the MRI didn't. And if you're adamant about not having mammograms, please do consider ultrasounds once or twice a year. I think a combo of Breast MRI's, Mammograms (but maybe not annual due to radiation), and definitely ultrasounds. At least with my insurance company, ultrasounds do not require prior approval.