Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2013

yes Cherrie....have worried about you all day today...Have a wonderful weekend and visit with your family

Mags

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Maggie, we did rent that place in Vero Beach for February. We have to get together! Thanks for thinking of me. I am interested in what Marga says about your US.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

So happy for you, Cherrie. Both in one week! Enjoy the family.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

thanks Zenful! I am doing great. How are you healing?

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

Cherrie, healing well, thanks. Three weeks out and doing most normal activities, although still tire easily. Walking is my exercise. Still have two hip drains, but I am hoping to lose them within the next week. I think things will feel better once I am "untethered".

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2013

Cherrie -- so relieved for you!

Heal well, Zenful! There is nothing like losing that last drain!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Zenful- we will do the freedom dance when you do. Until then, they are doing their job! Yay!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

Mtaspen, I added your Dec 6 surgery to the list above.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2013

Yea, Zenful!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited October 2013

Ok so I have to vent...This month has been so hard not thinking about Breast cancer and it returning! I know October is breast cancer awareness and we all deal differently with how we cope. I am a very positive person and don't even like talking this way. Also because I have my MrI coming up. Also my left cancer side flap is kinda achy at times and my arm. I'm always stretching my arm. I also had radiation on this side. It's like my collarbone done to under my armpit gets achy at times. Freaks my out!! Anyone else have this? Of course my radiated side is firmer. I can't wait until this month is over and My MRI is over...just want to forget about cancer for a day:(

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2013

Russell,

I have Tottally the same problem and never heard any body complain about it so thought it was just "my new normal"

I stretch every morning and every night but under left arm always tight.

I think it is probably residual radiation effects.

I try not to think about it even though it is constantly there.

I am scheduled for a cat scan tomorrow to look at spots on my liver that they saw before surgery to rule out anything.

Hope all goes well for us :)

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

Melanie...first of all big hug for you. My rad side seems to always hurt too. Of course I have LE on that side so maybe you have a minor case of LE too?? Even when nodes are not taken I think it is a risk from rads and all the surgeries. I pray that your MRI will be just fine. It is so nerve racking to have any scan or test anymore.

Spoke to my ONC today about the US results and she says do not biopsy it...leave it alone and if it is still there at my next surgery I am sure Dr M will take it out as it is a hard lump...I was soft breasts o_o!

Maggie

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

thanks Marcie & Mags!

Marcie hoping those lesions are cysts. I have those on my liver and was told by my onc that many people have cysts on their liver but never know it because they never have had scans. I wish they could give us results immediately after tests!

Mags...that is a good sign that she wants to leave it alone! Thanks for the hug!! As for the lymphadema. I don't have any swelling in my arm or hand or trunk. Just numbness and tightness:/ another thing I should address.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2013

thanks Melanie, I am keeping positive thoughts because I think that the spots on my liver were probably always there like you said :) just want to get it over with ;)

Hope everybody is having a great week :))

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies,

I had been posting on the DIEP 2013 board, but hoping that this is the place that I will finally belong. Long story short, I had implant reconstruction earlier this year and hate how they look and feel. I tried a local teaching hospital in MD to see about an sgap, and they told me I was "too thin". I am not a candidate for DIEP. I know I am not "too thin"...slender, yes, too thin, that was 5 kids ago.

Anyway, I never thought about leaving the state because of the kids and finances, but the ladies on the board really encouraged me to get more opinions, and provided so much information on ways to make the trip to NOLA (or elsewhere) more affordable. So, after talking to DH and my older kids (one is a hs senior, one attends a local college, and the oldest is out of the house), we are (somewhat) comfortable with leaving them in charge of the younger kids. I have no idea what the house will look like when I returen, but, they can cook and drive, and dial 911, sooooo, I guess it will be ok ;)

I contacted Dr. Massey's office and was very impressed with how quickly they responded. By the next day I had chatted with her "care coordinator". I have filled out all the forms and sent in a bunch of photos and have a consult with the doctor in a little over a week. I was nervous about her being able to determine if I was a candidate just from photos and records, but the "care coordinator" reassured me, and said she has only seen one person, who was extremely thin, not be a candidate.

I am not sure what to expect from here, and am a bit nervous. I have met my deductible for the year (yikes) and was hoping to get in by the end of this year. I am not sure how feasible that is. How long from consult to surgery for those of you that have used Dr. Massey?

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

momof5kids...congrats on moving forward.

I did not use Dr. massy so I cannot speak to how quickly they move, can't hurt to call and ask when they are booking next....for me, in NOLA they offered me the same month I contacted them! Was too early for me so I opted for a month later, when it worked for me. Just in case ...Have a date in mind that is "good for you" in case you have an option when they call....then you can grab it. I was so grateful my whole travel/surgery/ recovery fell when it did. I hope you get a date that is good for you.

Pat

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2013

A lot of people try to squeeze in surgeries at the end of the year because of the OOP thing, and Dr. Massey only does stage 1 surgeries in New Orleans (not sure if she's scheduled to be there in Nov-Dec), so you may have trouble scheduling before the end of the year. You never know though.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi Pat! How are you feeling??? I am sure you are happy to be home in your own bed. I am excited to talk to Dr. Massey, and hope that I can actually do this. As far as dates, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas days, they are all open for me. Work is flexible, the kids don't care...and DH will probably work remote. I just hope the consult goes well!

Jeskachi - so true about everyone and the out of pocket expenses. But, I guess stage II would be in 2014, so, it may not matter anyway. I have one of those high deductible plans with and HSA...used every penny in that account this year. I wonder if Dr. Massey does a payment plan so I could spread my new deductible throughout the year? Does anyone know?

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

momof5kids- Call Becky (personal Coordinator) and she if you can be " penciled " in. However your second stages will be in 2014 so you will meet it again. That is what happened to me.

When is your consult? Mine was a couple of hours! How exciting for you.

• mags20487
    edited October 2013

Hi Momof5kids...welcome....

I have surgery Dec 4 with Dr M in Charleston. I do not know if she will be back in New Orleans for stage 1's after Nov. For me it was 4 1/2 months from consult to surgery. Dr Trahan assisted on all of my flap surgeries there in NOLA--with a special assist from Dr Sullivan on my diep as there were some unforseen things going on then. She is a very compassionate surgeon who I absolutely adore. I hear from the others on this thread that all of the Docs in NOLA are fantastic. Becky is very knowledgeable about the process and can certainly answer any questions you have about scheduling. Ask away here....someone always has an answer

Well ladies tomorrow I leave for a 5 day vaca in the mountains and may not be on for a bit. Have a great rest of the week....I know I will :)

Maggie

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi Cherrie - thank you for the advice...I will email her and see if she is able to pencil me in. My consult is the 26th, she had a full schedule this weekend. It is amazing to me that she is taking the time on her weekend to talk to me. There are not many doctors that would do that. I don't know why I am so nervous. I don't think I was this nervous going in for my BMX!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Thank you Maggie! I did email Becky to see if she had insight into Dr. Massey's surgical schedule in NOLA. But, it's sounding like it probably won't be happening this year. Oh well, I waited this long. Just gives me more time to plan ;)

• Zenful
    edited October 2013

momof5- great attitude! For many of us, the most important thing is knowing there is another way, and that we were fortunate enough to have found it. I'm happy you followed your heart. The rest will fall into place.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Mom - I waited 9 months from consult to surgery, but that is highly unusual. The good thing is that it will happen for you. You will love Dr. M. She is delightful and very talented. I am having surgery with her in Charleston on December 5th and know she will be here through the 18th. Don't know if she is going to go back to NOLA, but the wonderful thing is that she knows her schedule and will give you a date on the phone. Do not worry about not consulting in person, she can see everything she needs to see from the photos. My Stage 1 was in November 0f 2012, with Stage 2a, b, and c in 2013. Dr. Sullivan assisted in my surgery and Dr. Trahan did my post op. So very exciting.

Cherrie - I guess you are safely in Chesapeake with the grand baby!

Glad everyone else seems to be doing well!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Dr. M will be in NOLA on January 5 for 8 months. You will meet your deductible with the first surgery.

I absolutely love her. Dr. M's bedside manners are wonderful and her skills are amazing. You will be in great hands. Have they accepted your insurance???

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

yes Marty, I am inChesapeake and playing with my grand daughter. So nice!!!!

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

welcome Momof5! You have found the right place for sure! These Doctors are the best. I too was really nervous about Stage 1 surgery. Once I got there. A sense of calm came over me. Then after meeting with Dr. Sullivan and staff, I knew I was in good hands. You will do great!!

• Russell1
    edited October 2013

mags.. Have a great time!!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Cherrie - She told me she would be there for 8 months next year, but I didn't realize continuously. I hope she is breaking it up a bit in Charleston and Chicago.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2013

MoMo, i too was told locally that at a big famous medical center that i did not have enough fat, or maybe I could get two A cups. I went to NOLA and have near C cups. You're in the right place!