Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2013

Hi Althea! Thanks for stopping by!

Mags, I updated your March 5 2C surgery with Dr M. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2013

thanks Spring

I agree this thread is amazing.  I could never have made it to where I am without all the help and advice you have all provided.

Mags

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2013

Hi Ladies,

I am 2 weeks out from bilateral DIEP and left prophylactic mastectomy,  I am feeling some swelling in the lower side of the left breast.  I think it's fluid because it makes an intention when I push.  I spoke with Laura on Saturday and she said to leave it alone and wear bra.  Any of you experience this?  What did you do?

Thanks and Happy New Years to all of you!!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2013

weave...- mine was out of network.  I have excellent double insurance And I did not need to pay anything up front.  The only thing I ever paid was a copay to the breast surgeon and a small amount to the anesthesiology group.  If you want to know everything I would ask about that so you have nothing to worry about.  Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled with my results. (PBM).  Also excellent, calm and thorough care.  I had a breast surgeon at home "on call" for any unexpected issues but did not need her.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2013

vw... The breasts will be swollen for a while... like months. And with swelling (edema), you know its swelling because when you push on it it does indeed leave an indentation. Very very normal. As the swelling starts to subside, things will look different, so don't be startled as you move through the process.

• vwbordelon
    edited December 2013

Thanks Betsy,

I am so pleased with everything so far I don't want any complications.  One drain left and all is good other then the swelling.

Happy New Years!!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2013

debdylan ...I think I have seen you on the DIEP board?  Did you reach out to NOLA.?  You can email directly via their website and they get back VERY quickly.  I had an answer to my costs within a week.  Be prepared to send phtos (can be emailed).  Here is their link.  http://www.breastcenter.com/

Wishing you the best.

Pat

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited December 2013

Pamela 44 - what is double insurance mean?  Are you saying your

spouse has another insurance?

thanks,

stix

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

deb - sounds like mostly revisions so you won't be in NOLA as long as if you were having stage one.  You won't be out of work as long either.  You mentioned that you didn't have NSM.  The skin sparing gals usually have the best outcome so be sure you compare to like procedures.  Having had my original MX and recon many years ago, the shape will never be the same as the original girls. Though I look way much better than I did 13 months ago.  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

PM Marty for the names of docs in Charleston. They have a lot of experience and I believe all patients are in network. This could save you a lot of money. 

Also, I don't know where you are from, but if you are looking for just revisions, Dr. Massey does these in Chicago, Charleston, and NOLA. She does not accept all insurance. 

Kat-Ski is going to Texas to PRMA. all patients there are n network also. You would have to ask her about it. 

There are more and more docs getting experience in these procedures.

• Pattysmiles
    edited December 2013

deb, I hate to say it is "only" a $2,000 difference from the $5k you were discussing in your prior post.  It is a large amount of money. (I paid more!)  They do offer payment plans (at least I think they said that).  Call and discuss with Vicki, she is the "money girl".  Also look into the other options Cherrie mentioned.

Also keep in mind they can most likely get you into Hope Lodge (run by American Cancer society) so you won't have to pay for hotels.  And I believe they still offer free transportation to their appointments.

Don't give up hope.  

Pat

• Pattysmiles
    edited December 2013

oh Deb, I'm sorry to hear that.keep those options open, something is bound to work out.  There are many women here who waited years to get to where they are now.  I know that's not the route you want, I don't know what else to say.

Hugs.

Pat

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Deb... Flights to NOLA re around $220-300.. so not horrible. You have a niece there, so no hotels. Did you tell them you could only pay $5k? They are very willing to work with people. And last, not sure the nipple would need to wait. Usually they do the nipple at stage II, which is what this is. I would

a) Call Vivki and try again

b) Call Massey, Kline/Craigie and PRMA and ask for their price as well.

I know you are unhappy and this is the first step to being complete. Get this part in place and the rest will follow.

• Springtime
    edited December 2013

I added Lisa's Feb 18th Surgery to the list. She's new here. Pls welcome her! 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Lisa- Welcome to this thread. You must have a lot of questions. Ask away. You are in great hands with Dr. S. He assisted with my surgery. Great guy!!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014

I haven't been posting much but I still check in on this thread. Two weeks ago I had perfect post Stage II breasts. I'm a little sad to say that 2 months out and it seems not as much fat remains from the fat grafting as I would have liked. They still look great but the perfect symmetry is gone again. Hopefully, I won't lose much more!

I want to wish each you, at all stages of this journey, a Healthy New Year filled with joy!

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2014

Hello ladies! As Springtime had noted, my Stage 1 is set for 2/18. I'm not sure what procedure I will have (I think that one of the NOLA people mentioned a hip flap, because I was told by a local surgeon that I don't have enough tummy fat for two breasts). Are you involved in that decision at all or will the doctor make the call? I won't meet Dr. Sullivan until the day before my surgery, but I have full confidence in his work.

In fact, I was just on the phone with the ladies in NOLA yesterday, discussing Stage 2 dates. I have to admit, this surgery is overwhelming, but I'm looking forward to having it behind me. I'm BRCA+, so at this point, the mx is prophylactic as long as my MRI is still clear. 

Without knowing it, you have all helped me immensely, learning about the procedures and what to expect...so thank you. I suspect numerous others have been helped in the same manner. But now that this is all 'a go,' I wanted to come on the board to say hello.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2014

here us to a wonderful, safe and healthy 2014 to all you beautiful women who helped me heal in 2013... I love you girls!!!!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Welcome Lisa!  I also didn't have enough tummy fat, so I had a bilateral DIEP and GAP, but the decision wasn't made until the day before surgery.  They have a good idea by looking at your pictures, but need to see you in person before making the final assessment.  Since your local PS saw you in person, I would suspect you will have both DIEP and GAP flaps.  

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

welcome Lisa. And yes, you have a say, but Dr Sullivan will know best. I went into surgery thinking I was having both abs and butt but came out of surgery and he had only needed to go GAP. So I would just trust his judgement and be prepared for anything.  I then a month later had DIEP due to an issue on one side so for me preserving a donor site for the future turned out to be a blessing. 

• Springtime
    edited January 2014

Hi Lisa! :)

DianneNC, I added your Jan 10 2b date to the list above. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

If any of the newer ladies want to be part of the NOLA/Charleston Flap FB group... please let me know.

• vwbordelon
    edited January 2014

Betsy,

I would like to join the Facebook group.  Please let me know how.

Thanks

• Stix
    edited January 2014

I am curious of anybody had implants at NOLA?  And, what doctor did they use?  I know

they do a lot of microsurgery..... but, not sure if they do a lot of revisions on implants  thanks

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Stix... there are definitely women who get implants in NOLA... I just think they aren't posting here cause  most get flaps. But I have met a few women who got implants there. People who travel there though are getting flaps most of the time, but local women get implants. And there are women who have had implants added to their flaps as well.

• Stix
    edited January 2014

THANKS I APPRECIATE IT. STILL WAITING TO HEAR ABOUT MY COVERAGE. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. MY BEST CHANCES OF GETTING ON WITH MY LIFE SOONER I BELIEVE IS TRAVELING TO NOLA. BUT WILL SEE RE  COVERAGE.

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014

I would like to join the Facebook group, please  

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Maggie and vw I PM'd you

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

I got everyone who requested the FB group except VW... Try friending me ( I sent you a PM)... My page is visable... not sure what happened when you tried.

• maggie85
    maggie85 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014

For those of you who stayed at Hope Lodge ... can you tell me if there is wifi available? My caregiver that is coming with me is asking, and I don't find any information on it on their webpage.