Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Keeper
    Keeper Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

I had a double mastectomy July 5th, 2013.  My Cancer Doc at that time said I had a muscle and skin issue that needed to be dealt with.  My Plastic Surgeon chose to go ahead a place an expander in and said he would deal with my problems at the time of implant exchange.  Finally after a month of terrible discomfort my girlfriend insisted I see her Plastic Surgeon.  He took one look at me and insisted I go immediately to The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery.  He said "If you cough the expander is going to come right through my skin".  So, I am laying low waiting for my surgery scheduled Jan.28, 2014.  I am anxious not knowing what surgery is possible until I meet Dr.Trahan on the 27th.  We are hoping for a hip flap, no implants, restore skin and tissue, take my nipples, tattoo and be done with it!

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2013

Betsy - thank you for the quick response. No drains, so yes, I guess it would be an aspiration or let it heal naturally.  I don't like the idea of additional complications, and if I can take care of it proactively, I'd prefer that.  So, aspiration may be the answer.  Did it require anesthesia?  Pretty painless it sounds like?  Is there recovery time?  Thanks again - I'm so thankful for these boards...don't know what I would do without the wealth of knowledge on here.

Keeper - Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you've been through all of this.  The Center at NOLA is amazing.  You are in fantastic hands.  I had the hip flap and it was the best decision I could have made.  These doctors are unbelievable - I really feel like they can do anything.  I met a woman who was having her stage 2 as I was having my Stage 1 - we met at the hotel prior to our surgeries.  Prior to her Stage 1, she had been through a previous surgery and other procedures that left her with some major complications, including very delicate skin from radiation therapy.  They were able to work wonders.  I can't tell you how amazed/happy I was when she explained that she had already gone through Stage 1 - she looked like a million bucks and, prior to hearing her story, I thought she hadn't had anything done yet.  This is a testament to how well they make you "whole" again.  It really set me at ease going into my Stage 1, seeing firsthand what the outcome might look like.  Everyone from the nurses to the anesthesiologists  - these are just top notch professionals and so kind and caring.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2013

Sydgrace... No prep, no anesthesia and no recovery. Just don't take aspirin the day of the procedure. I am sure you've had an ultrasound... Same thing. You go in, and while they do the US, they use a needle and draw out the blood. Put a bandage on and you are done. I suggest a little compression on the site for a couple of days so the hematoma doesn't return. Its like a 15 minute procedure.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Keeper... You will love them. And I also think they can do anything. Miracle workers.

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2013

Thanks again Betsy - I talked to the center a few minutes ago and we'll see how the ultrasound goes tomorrow.  Hoping for the best.  

• Pamiam45
    Pamiam45 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

I hope all of you lovely ladies had a nice Christmas! Thanks for your input on where to stay, I hadn't even thought of vrbo.  I'm thinking I may want to just be in a hotel and have the luxury of having someone come in and clean up the room and stuffLoopy. Which places through VRBO would you recommend. I'm looking at either Hotel Monteleone or the Bienville House any input? I though I may as well stay somewhere kind of unique to NOLA instead of a place like the Marriott (which is nice), but are pretty much all the same.  I'm so happy to read that many of you are doing well with your recent surgeries! I'm in a Facebook group where some of the gals were talking about some disappointment with the outcome of how things looked at the site of liposuction. Have any of you had problems? Sorry so many questions...guess I'm getting a little nervous!!!  Thanks in advance!

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Hi Pam... I have stayed at both the Monteleone and Bienville House. Location is the same ( a block or so apart), but I like the Monteleone more. But the Bienville House is cheaper and includes breakfast. So its your call.

I personally do not have any issues with lipo location, but I know some women do complain about it... or skin not rebounding.

• Pamiam45
    edited December 2013

thanks bdavis! Breakfast would be nice to have for my hubby! Also, we will be needing to go to the airport to get my sis in law (or my husband will), is it worthwhile renting a car while there, or should we just get a cab for that kind of thing?

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Parking at the hotel is like $20 per day. And both of those hotels are very centrally located. I would just have the sis in law catch a cab.

• Pamiam45
    edited December 2013

that's what I was thinking, didn't think parking would be cheap!  Thanks again!  

Do I need to request to be added to the page with the pics?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Pam go to the breast Recon forum.  The second thread covers the pictures and what to do to get access.  It is a bit of a process, but well worth it.  It may take a while as the number of posts on BCO is a factor.  It helps them maintain privacy and prevent giving access to lookie loos.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Yes, you need to PM nowheregirl and ask... but she screens people and looks for lots of posts here.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2013

Keeper,

I just had a left mastectomy and bilateral DIEP and can not be happier.  The care there was first class and I am so happy with my outcome so far.  They are truly miracle workers!  Best of luck to you!

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

So I have been updating the NOLA / Charleston FB group... Add your surgery details to our doc ... which kind of surgery you had (GAP, DIEP, implants added, etc)

• kelleyb
    kelleyb Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013

Sydgrace, where you too thin for a tummy flap or did you purposely want the hip flap surgery?  How was the recovery?

• kelleyb
    kelleyb Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013

Russell1 - Dr. Sullivan seems very thorough, I'm exhausted already from all the pre-op hoops!  How did you and he decide on what procedure was right for you?  I have plenty of fat to make two new breasts from my tummy or my hips, was wondering what kind of input or guidance he gave you.  I'm having surgery soon and am really nervous about the abdominal incision.  Also, when you woke up, what kind of garments did he have you in?

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2013

Hi all. I've been missing in action on here for a while. I've been on "cancer overload" with my BIL diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and a very close friend in treatment for breast cancer. I had to step away from the boards for a bit to compartmentalize cancer on the back burner for me. 

I'm heading back for stage 2b and a hysterectomy/ooph on Jan. 10th. Pre-op on the 8th and hopefully Dr. D can work some miracles with my back side. I have a huge puffy section kind of above my butt crack (I call it my third cheek) and some very hard areas along my scars. that's the main reason I'm going back, but there's no telling what all will be done. I have to admit....I'm not at all excited about this surgery. I had hoped to lose my extra chemo 30 pounds (didn't happen) and I thought this would be an exciting finishing touch. Now, I just kind of feel like I am going to be a "patient" forever and I'm sick of it. My MO recommended the hyst/ooph,  so I am at least glad that I will have that surgery in NO, where I know the care is excellent.  I'm looking forward to seeing Jeanine again, so I suppose I will get excited soon enough. 

I tried to catch up with what I've missed, and it seems lots of us are nearing the finish line. 

Betsy- I was so sorry to hear your tough personal news, and I hope your holidays with the kids went well. I hate you've had to go through this--you really are such a positive force on this board and I admire your strength. 

I'll check in again after I get the blue pen treatment-- if only he could lipo 30 pounds away!!! :) 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Hi Dianne... Thanks for your kind words... About the puffiness, I had that and Dr D did a great job fixing the problem. He actually moved the whole incision up all the way across the top of the butt crack. No puffiness now and my pants stay up better too. I had it done at my stage IIb as well. Recovery will be quick... so try to look forward to the improvements.

Kelleyb... The doctors determine where you have the best viable fat. Abdominal fat has better vessels, and so if you have belly fat, they will usually go for that first. If you don't have enough, they move to the buttocks... or both sometimes. If you have a GAP flap, you will wake up in a girdle. For a DIEP flap sometimes you have a girdle and sometimes you don't. I don't know why its different patient to patient. The GAP flap is easier to recover from, but getting a tummy tuck is a nice perk...

• Weaveshear
    Weaveshear Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013

Hello, I found this thread while googling Dr. Sullivan in NOLA. My wife has an appointment with him in early 2014.  We are hoping to finally get somewhere after four years of battling the effects of radiation on her reconstruction.  She has been through so much and endured so many surgeries that I was thrilled to hear that the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery is supposed to be the best of the best.  Going out of state is going to be hard, especially since we have two young kids, but worth it to give my wife hope of a result that can make her at least content.  I was very anxious to  learn, though, that neither the doctors nor the hospital are in our insurance network.  Having heard horror stories about "out of network" financial disasters, and having narrowly avoided one myself years ago, I am hoping to find some reassurance from someone other than the doctors and their admin people.  I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has used these doctors and their hospital despite being out of network.  Thanks,

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

weaveshear. You and your wife will not be disappointed with these doctors. They are miracle workers. But in addition, are completely aware of the financial burden that a surgery like this can have. The insurance women will research your insurance plan, out of network coverage and then give you a price. If you can't afford it, they will work with you. Before surgery, you will sign a paper on your agreed amount to be paid. I have never heard of anyone paying more than they expected to pay. They are totally worth it!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2013

Weave, I can't speak to the out of network, but I am happy you found the NOLA docs and this board.  Others will weigh in with valuable information.  Bless you for being so supportive and proactive.

• Weaveshear
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the quick response, Ladies.  The woman in insurance did give me the price and, although it will take a while, it is something we can absorb.  My worry is if the financial aspect of all of this does not go according to plan, then we could be on the hook for much, much more.  It sounds, though, like these folks are honest and I can rely on their representations.  It will be good to put the money part of this to rest, not have to worry about losing our home if something goes wrong, and focus on the more important thing--maximizing the chance to get my wife the best outcome there is to get.  You are really helping me out, here. Thanks, again.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2013

I can chime in here on the financial part buy repeating what has already been said. The price they gave you over the phone is exactly what you will pay to the doctors and not a penny more--- regardless of what insurance pays or how long it takes. There is a separate amount paid to the hospital, but they will give you that amount up front also. This amount tends to be very minor; mine was $230.

Also, the hospital will let you spread your payments to them over a year with no interest. They try really hard to  work with each patient. There are many stresses to this process, but unexpected expenses are not one of them. 

Best of luck to your wife!! 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

weave... do note, that if they quote you a number, it is the number for THAT surgery. There will be a new number for the second surgery (much smaller) or any unexpected surgery. BUT... they are very fair and honest, and especially if its out of pocket, they will take this into consideration I would presume. I had my stage I MX and GAP flap surgery and a month later needed to have a wound surgery and DIEP flap and spent two weeks in the hospital. This is what I mean by unexpected. Although rare, it does happen. But I had already met my out of pocket for the year so that whole ordeal cost me nothing. They did of course bill the insurance company and were paid most of the bill. I was not balance billed. And because it was a complication, the doctors paid for my plane ticket, my companion's ticket and hotel when discharged. For them, this is a small price to pay in the big scheme of things. Its good for business. And very much appreciated by me, the patient. Its this business model that makes them a top notched practice, and for me took the fear away from traveling.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2013

I had a complication on my night of the stage 1 DIEP, went back into surgery for them to fix hematoma.  No extra charge.

Pat

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2013

I paid exactly what was agreed. I was not balance billed and this is what I heard from others when I researched it. 

I don't know, however, what would happen if there was a complication that required transfer to another hospital. For example heart failure where you would need a cardiologist. You might ask about their transfer plans. There are at least 3 hospitals near there and one of these might be in your network. SCSH can handle most expected complications, but you just never know. I had a very rare complication that required a opthamalogical neurologist. If I realized it before I was discharged I would probably have been transferred because they don't have one of those on staff. 

• Weaveshear
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the help, Ladies!  This is exactly the response for which I was hoping.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2013

Weave - I concur - the price agreed upon is the price you will pay. For me - I knew that I had to be done in one calendar year or I would be paying more.  My mastectomy was at the same time as reconstruction and I ended up with a 2nd surgery a week after so that Dr Gray could get clean margins. I also had a second hospital stay with that surgery but never had to pay more than the agreed upon amount. It was the flat fee plus there is a separate doctor's office visit each trip so that did cost more... I think around $350.  These docs are excellent and compassionate. 

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited December 2013

The physicians sound like great people. They actually care about the patient beyond the incisions..... I am very impressed!

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited December 2013

Hey Springtime, I'm so happy to see this thread is moving and grooving YEARS later!  I'm surprised the sheer volume of pages hasn't made the program crash.  lol  This many pages must be some kind of record!

I don't post here much anymore.  I traveled to NOLA in 2005 for my surgery.  I had my unilateral mast with immediate reconstruction.  All these years later I'm still very happy with my results.  I am forever grateful to this forum for its existence and all the support I received here.  

I remember like it was yesterday how I felt the moment I requested the information packet from NOLA.  I felt an immense weight lift from my shoulders and peace of mind came over me.  I am so glad I listened to my own heart and not my local doctors who were scaring me to pieces over my decision.  NOLA gave me the best medical experience of my entire life.