Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited December 2013

Marty..Your surgery must of got moved from Dec. 5th..Heal well!!

Betsy...I hope things will be even when all swelling is gone. I'm pretty sure you can add more after the tattoos. Dr. S. removed some from my left breast and lowered my left nipple. And that was the day after my tattoos. It's crazy how the fat doesn't want to stay when they inject it. It sure wants to stay when we eat it!!! lol

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2013

Swelling is pretty much gone... So we'll see what Dr D says if I even see him. How did Dr S know to make a revision? Did you have an appt afterward already planned?

• Russell1
    edited December 2013

I made an appointment at 3pm with Dr. Sullivan & 3:30 appt. with Vinnie. I wanted Dr. S to look at my butt crack (Sounds terrible lol) From compression it creased further up. They took my pictures before I even got in there with him so he had already noticed my left nipple was lower than right. He got our his marker and marked me up & said "Ok, when are we doing this?" I said, "um...next year..because we are leaving tomorrow". He asked what time we were leaving. Our flight was at 3. He said this was minor stuff so he could get me in at 7am and have me on the flight . I wanted to cry!!! That was so awesome of him. He also noticed that my left breast was a little rounder on top than right, little dog ear on right, dog ear on left hip & lipo to inner thighs and some outer. He said the lipo will tighten things up:) Everyone has their body parts they don't like. Mine tough area has always been my legs. I used to work out alot before all this happened to me and I still had bigger legs....so the lipo is a bonus for me. I hope my skin bounces back. I haven't seen any sagging as of yet. Dr. S said to still do the tattoos with Vinnie and the 2 of them discussed it. I am so grateful to both of them. I would do the same thing Betsy. Make your appt. with Dr. D. first. And make sure you have ample time after in case of revision. :)

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

I do have ample time... not a problem... I asked Jeanine to ask Dr D about seeing me... so seeing if he is available. My appt is 3:30 on a Thursday... so I will ask to see if he can see me at 3.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2013

Russell and Betsy, I am taking notes.  Thanks for paving the way and sharing information on how things work.

• Russell1
    edited December 2013

Zenful ...I was so appreciative of the information I learned from these awesome ladies. I am happy to do the same for newbies:) & you

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2013

Morning, ladies! OK, so I am done, had few if any complications and now, now of all times, I seem to have an issue. Surgery was 11/13 and the scar under my left arm where Dr. D. did some work, is red, angry and a rash seems to be spreading from it. Scabs are all gone, sutures are all gone, I am healing well and now this. Sent a photo to the Center to ask. Think perhaps it might be an allergy to Mederma or something. Anyone else have this happen?

Gotta say, I am so happy with the girls -- have flashed them a couple of times and people are amazed. Looking forward to the 6 week mark to get out of compression, but may take at least one of the Marenas along for my January trip to England and South Africa. Stoked!!

Maggie1

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Hi Maggie,

Actually, I had that in that same location in January. That skin just did not like the Mepiderm or whatever its called. I am using it again now, but if it starts to get rashy, I will need to stop.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2013

YEAH!!!  drain free....she let me pull it this morning...now to keep up the compression

Maggie-2

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

Hooray for being drain free Maggie!  I am doing the drain free dance with you. (That's DFD for all you acronym lovers)

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2013

Hi Ladies,

Well surgery was Tuesday and came home to my parents house today.  This has not been as bad as I thought it would be.  Waiting for the first BM (that should be fun!). Everyone was correct - don't ring much with you.  The care at SCH was beyond excellent!  Well worth the money and piece of mind!!

Good Luck to the next person and Merry Christmas to all!

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

vw...so glad you made it through the first round.  may your healing go well

To any of you that have had gap and then the body lift....how long did you wear compression after the last drain was pulled.  My body is protesting the compression starting last night.  I have become extremely uncomfortable in it the last couple of days which is unusual for me as I have been in it since March so you think I would be used to it.  My belly is just a little bloated right now which is probably part of the problem but I was just curious as to what your doc has recommended for you.  I feel like a stuffed sausage...MEH

Maggie-2

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Maggie... Rule of thumb is wearing compression for one week after drain pulling.

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

thank you Betsy...I still have it on as I only lost the drain on Thursday morning.  I will suck it up and give it time...no more pseudo bursa here!!!

Maggie-2

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

So I am working on scheduling my stay in NOLA for my Stage 2 in February.  I am leaning toward the Homewood Suites based upon the comments on this board.  Will we need a car?  I thought I recall someone saying it is close to the trolley line?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

No need for a car at Homewood.  It is easy to walk to the trolley, Mother's for breakfast, Harrah's, French Quarter, Garden District.  Cab fare is minimal if you don't want to take the trolley (like post lipo).

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

I concur... No need for a car. Streetcar is 2 blocks away. Quarter is 5 blocks away or a $5 cab.

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

Perfect.  Homewood Sweets it is!  Thanks, ladies.

• Russell1
    edited December 2013

we really liked Homewood Suites!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2013

zenful,  February has Mardi gras in it.  Prices of the rooms are very high....no discount for the breast patients...this was for I believe the last 2 weeks of February.  I booked for the week of February 24th (Mardi gras) but a few girlfriends are going with me, so the price of the room will be as cheap out of pocket as if it were just hubby and I for a regular priced week.

Also, I believe NOLA will send a car for you to take to/from the center/hospital.  Contact Alicia. 

Pat

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of my NOLA sisters. Enjoy your families, heal well, and stay healthy. 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Mardi Gras is March 4 this year.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2013

yes, Mardi gras is March 4th.  But there are 2 weeks of parades and such, the price of the rooms are jacked up.

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

Pat

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Oh.. I know. I am headed down in April during French Quarter Fest, and last summer went during Essence Fest. And last January was there during Mardi Gras/Super Bowl. My timing hasn't been great. Luckily, I used to live there and have friends, so I stayed with a friend in January and flew out the day before the Super Bowl, so I was ok.

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

I chose the first week of February to avoid Mardis Gras.  Sure hope I can avoid the high room prices, as well.  Merry Christmas to all my breast friends!

• kelleyb
    kelleyb Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013

Merry Christmas everyone!  I'm having stage 1 surgery with Dr. Sullivan at SGSH on January 8.  I don't see anyone on the schedule that week - anyone going to be there?

• Russell1
    edited December 2013

Merry Christmas to all my sisters!!!!

Kellyb...you will love Dr. Sullivan!

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.... Love you all.

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2013

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas & is having a quiet relaxing holiday week.

I had a stage 2b surgery 2 weeks ago with Dr. D. Everything went so smoothly, as per usual with the center and Dr. D.    Starting yesterday, I've had some new bruising on my left breast and have had discomfort/soreness in the arm where my lymph nodes were taken during the mastectomy. I'm going for an ultrasound today, as the center thinks it may be a hematoma in my left breast.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with hematomas - what do they normally do to treat these? I am praying for a non-invasive solution and making myself nervous and crazy via Google. I'm shutting down the internet research portion of my day, and hoping you ladies can shed some more realistic light.

Thanks so much...

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Well two things. Do you still have drains? If so, it can drain through the drain tube. If not, then either you can wait for it to reabsorb naturally or have it aspirated. The risk of doing nothing and waiting, is if it takes too long to reabsorb, then scar tissue can form around it and cause a pseudobursa. If it were me and I didn't want an aspiration, I would just wait it out for a month or so. But I have had aspirations, and they are really easy so that would be my vote. Ask them for a script for an ultrasound guided aspiration. You go to the local radiologist.