Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2014

Best wishes to the women having surgery this week.  Nola is an incredible place to have the flap surgery. The doctors, nurses and staff are amazing!  I had two surgeries (a pbm, DIEP and revision) within the last year and it was the right decision for me. Happy & Healthy New Year to all of you!

• kelleyb
    kelleyb Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2014

Thanks, girls, this is all such great information!   Looking forward to seeing my surgery buddies there.  Safe travels to all.  Smile

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies!  I hope all of you had a wonderful New Year!  I was off for two weeks, and spent little time online, so I am trying to catch up on all the posts.  Always such good information.

I can't believe that I am flying out three weeks from Friday!  I go for my pre-op tests/lab work this Friday.  I also have other testing being done for other issues (more like a wild goose chase) on the 17th; I pray they don't find anything that would hold up this surgery. I have always been healthy...but for the past year I feel like every time I step into a doctor's office they find something else.  My BS told me to just stop going to doctor's (he was joking of course), but I am at that point.  Saw my onc and she talked about doing scans, but agreed to wait until my next appt.

I did ask my onc about the lumps on my one breast.  She said she was not 100% sure what they are.  She said it could be stitches (odd though that I have four on one side and none on the other), but since I was going in for surgery in NOLA she just told me to have them look at them and send it out for biopsy.

I know some ladies were asking about not having enough fat...I guess they don't think I have enough fat on my hips to make a b/c cup, so Dr. S will be doing a bilateral hip flap with implants to replace what I have now. I am very hopeful that they will look and feel so much better than the rocks I am carrying around now.  I do have my pics on the picture forum and will be posting my "after" flaps when I get back.  

I do have a question about stage 2.  What exactly will they do at that point?  I had a SNS BMX, but post-op I lost (well, I know where it went) a nipple so on one side I have an areola without the nipple.  I am assuming I have to wait until stage 2 for them to do that? How close will it match the real nipple?  Also, how long will I have to stay in NOLA for Stage 2 (can I go alone, or do I still need DH)? 

I am really nervous about flying out for surgery, and leaving my younger kids in the hands of the older ones. I have to sit down with my older two and make a schedule to be sure the younger kids are taken care of and being chauffeured to CCD, sports, etc.  I froze some food for them already, but plan on hitting up Costco for some things so all they need to do is heat stuff up.  

edited: for numerous typos!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Mom - this is a wonderful opportunity for your older kids to prove to you just how responsible they really are.  You know they try to hide it from you now.  Re: stage 2 - that is about aesthetics vs Stage 1 which is about getting a good blood supply to the flaps.  You won't be in NOLA anyway near as long - maybe 3 - 4 days, again depending on what is done.  You could take a girlfriend as DH will be much more comfy after Stage 1.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2014

Mom... yes, they will make you a new nipple at stage II and it will not be a perfect match, but very very close. And with tattoos, you probably won't know the difference. About duration, it kind of depends if you want a post op appt. If you don't, then you can leave a couple of days after surgery. Personally, I like the post op appt, so I always stay a little longer. About traveling with someone, regardless, you cannot lift your luggage etc. So be prepared to have an airline attendant do this for you... utilize the wheelchair at the airport etc. And you will need to ask them if you need a person to discharge you. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. So best to ask them ahead of time. Of course, if they say, no, and then your stage II is more extensive, then you'll want someone, or they may want someone. Can you bring a friend as Marty said? I brought my mom to two of my stage IIs and my daughter to one as well. I am all about including my family in my surgeries... LOL.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Mom, Yikes!  I saw your post and realized it is close for me too!  My surgery is the day after yours, but I am only scheduled to stay one night, assuming everything goes as planned.  Is it okay if I pop in to visit?  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2014

2013 Surgeries, for the record. This will be bookmarked in the information at the top of the page. 

----- 2013----

Jan 10 - Sydgrace - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Jan 11 - Zandy - Stage 1 hip flaps with Dr. S., NOLA

Jan 17 - 4my4babies - PBM and Stage 1 DIEP with Dr D., NOLA

Jan 30 - Pamela44 - Stage 2, NOLA.

Jan 30 - BDavis - Stage 2B, Dr. D., NOLA.

Feb 5 - Kkemp2211 - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA.

Feb 6 - Paula_Kay - Consult for Stage 2 with Dr. S.

Feb 19 - Harmony Sun - Stage 2, Dr. M., Chicago.

Feb 20 - Audrella - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Feb 21 - willy5js5 - Stage 2b, Dr. M, Chicago

Feb 22 - Cherrie - Stage 2; Dr. M; Chicago

Feb 22 - DianneNC - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA

Feb 26 - Kim_L - Stage 1, Dr. D., NOLA.

Mar 1 - RunningForSanity - Stage 2, NOLA

Mar 5 - Mags20487 - 2C. Dr. M., Charleston.

Mar 13 - KBodie - Stage 2B, Dr. S., NOLA and St Charles Surgical Hospital.

Mar 15 - Paula_Kay - Stage 2, St. Charles Surgical Hospital, Dr. S., NOLA.

Mar 18 - Marcypt - Stage 1, NOLA.

Mar 20 - Elizabeth1959 - DIEP with Dr. M., NOLA.

Mar 26 - Judy_63 - Stage 1 DIEP, NOLA.

Apr 3 - MillerJ - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA.

Apr 5 - Sharon1942 - Stage 2, UTSW - Dr. T

Apr 8 - Chellehump - Consult with Dr. D. on possible 2B surgery, NOLA.

Apr 9 - Downey30 - Stage 2B, Charleston, Dr. M.

Apr 9 - gmp300 - Stage 2b, Dr. D., NOLA

Apr 9 - PerryDawnB Stage 1 bilateral reconstruction with hip flaps, Dr. S., NOLA

Apr 12 - Russell1 - Stage 1 Hip Flaps (planned), Dr. S., Fairway Hospital, NOLA

Apr 12 - MartyJ - Stage 2, Dr. M in Charleston

Apr 16 - Marcy47 - Stage 1 hip flaps, Dr. D., NOLA.

Apr 16 - addidas1120 - Stage 1 SGAP, Dr. S., NOLA.

Apr 18 - Louisianagirl40 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Apr 19 - 4My4Babies - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Apr 24 - Klanders - Stage 1, BMX with Dr. Stollier, recon with Dr. S. NOLA.

Apr 30 - Motherandchild5 - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA.

May 8 - Marsha1970 - Stage 1, BMX with immediate bilateral DIEP, Dr. S, NOLA

May 10 - Cherrie - Stage 2b, Dr. M, Chicago.

May 21 - Barbmal5 - PBMX, Dr. D., NOLA.

May 22 - Mags20487 - Stage "1C" with Dr. M.

May 23 - Zandy - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA.

May 24 - KSue - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

June 17 - Judy_63 - Stage 2,St. Charles, Dr. T., NOLA.

June 20 - Maxine - NOLA for Dr M (appt June 17)
    Correct a badly conceived stage 1 diep flap for right side that was
    performed locally in PA. So this next step looks to be stage '1 and
    1/2", Laughing.

June 21 - Ssla01 - BMX, Dr. M., NOLA

June 26 - PerryDawnB - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA.

July 8 - BDavis - Consult with Dr. D., NOLA.

July 10 - AnnAlive - Stage 2b, Dr. S., NOLA.

July 12 - Russell1 - Stage 2.

July 25 - Chellehump - Stage 2b with Dr. D, NOLA. (SCSH)

Aug 6 - MartyJ - Dr. M in Charleston for Stage 2b.

Aug 14 - Barbmal5 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Aug 19 LAStar - Consultation with Dr. D.

Aug 21 - Mags20487 - Stage 2a, Dr. M., Charleston

Aug 21 - KimL - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Aug 23 - Marcie47 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Aug 29 - KathrynLA - Stage 2c, Dr. S., NOLA.

Sept 4 - Klanders - Stage 2a with Dr S., NOLA

Sept 5 - SRoberts - Stage 1, bilateral SGAP, Dr. M., NOLA

Sept 9 - ssla01 - Stage 2 with Dr. M.

Sept 10 - mtpeteacher unilateral mx and bilateral DIEP, Dr. M., NOLA.

Sept 19 - Cherrie - Stage 2C, Dr. M., Chicago

Sept 19 - Zenful - BMX with immediate bilateral DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA

Sept 24 - Audrella - Stage 2b, Dr. D., NOLA.

Sept 26 - Motherancchild5 - Stage 2 with Dr. D., NOLA.

Oct 2 - Pattysmiles - mx of both with DIEP, with Dr. S., NOLA.

Oct 21 - TTay - Stage 2a with Dr. T., NOLA.

Nov 7 - Toomuch - Stage 2b with Dr. S.

Nov 13 - Celtic antique (Maggie) - Stage 2c, Dr. D., NOLA.

Nov 21 - Bdavis - Stage 2c with Dr D, NOLA.

Dec 3 - Russell1 - Tattoos with Vinnie, NOLA.

Dec 4 - Mags20487 - Stage 2b, Dr. M., Charleston

Dec 5 - MartyJ - Stage 2c with Dr. M, Charleston.

Dec 6, -Mtaspen - Stage 2, Dr. M., Charleston.

Dec 10 - Maxine58 - Stage 2 with Dr. M., SC.

Dec 10 - Sydgrace - Stage 2(b) with Dr. D, NOLA.

Dec 11 - Marcie47 - Stage 2a, Dr. D., NOLA.

Dec 11 - Minnesota (Eve) - Tattoo! High Noon! NOLA.

Dec 17 - vwbordelon - Left prophylactic mastectomy with DIEP, Dr. T., NOLA.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

three cheers for Spring keeping us all straight!  Thank you.

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

YAY SPRING!!!!!!!!!!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2014

Right-o, Marty!  Thanks, Spring!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Thanks for everything you do Spring!!!!'m

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Thank you MartyJ and Betsy - I am hoping to save money on travel with stage 2. Plus I know DH will not have a lot of vacation time after our two weeks in NOLA next month.  I don't have family around (and no sisters or mom) and this is going to sound awful, but I have three friends, and only two I would be comfortable taking with me.  But, they all work. I guess I will see what the folks at NOLA think. I definitely think I would feel better waiting for a post op appointment, like you said Betsy.  

As far as the kids, you are right, MartyJ, it will be time for the older ones to show how responsible they are.  And, really, they are great kids.  My oldest is out of the house; graduated, found a job in NYC, and is on his own.  The other son is in college and one is in HS.  They both work, get good grades - have never been an issue.  My worry, and this is going to sound stupid, is my 11yo.  He will be 12 in may.  But the county rules say he can only be alone for something like 1.5 hours at a time.  I paranoid that with the other kids and their schedules/work, that he will be alone longer, something will happen, we will be the bad parents on the news...LOL.  I normally am not a worrier and this is probably silly to worry about. I know at his age my mom worked...and I was home with my younger brother - no one thought twice about it, and we all survived.  But times are different I guess. 

Ok, so I am back to the nipple.  The one side has the areola...and the center (where my poor nipple should be) is colored like the rest of the areola (so it is dark).  Do you know if they will do the "origami" thing from the areola (or bring in skin from someplace else)? If so, would I need tattooing on the nipple (it would be dark) or just the areola to even our distortions (I am assuming, from what I saw online, that doing the "origami" thing will distort the areola, making it less of a circle).  I know it is silly, but with all the stuff going on this year I have for some reason become obsessed with this nipple. 

Zenful!!!  I forgot you are the day after me. Absolutely stop by!!!  When are you getting into NOLA?  I have never been, and it has been one place I have really wanted to see, so we are heading out the night 1/31.  That gives me and DH 3 days to do some site seeing.  As we get closer I will send you a PM with my cell, if you don't mind.

So, I emailed Dr. M, who I originally called for a consult, but who ended up referring me to Dr. S.  She wanted me to let her know my surgery date, if I decided to go with Dr. S, so she could come see me if she was in town (which I thought was incredibly sweet! My own ob/gyn here in DC, whom I have seen for years, has never even picked up the phone, even after finding out I had BC, or when an U/S showed a mass in my abdomen.  So, it really stands out that a doctor, that I have never met, whom I am not a patient of, would go out of their way to see me.).  Well, not only is she in town, but her assistant said she is available to assist with the surgery! So I went ahead and emailed Liz to request Dr. Massey as the assisting surgeon. I feel like I am getting the best of both worlds!   

Now, when I spoke to Dr. Massey, she saw the nasty scar and my very messed up belly button, from an emergency surgery I had this summer. It is around 10" and I am so annoyed that I have it (though it was not the doctors fault, she did what she had to do) and no belly button (well, it is there, but more of slit along the scar line).  Dr. M said that she thought Dr. S may take care of the for me...can he?  Even if it's not related of the boob surgery?  Has anyone had experience with anything like this? 

Springtime - you are awesome for keeping up with this board!  I don't know that I could do as good of a job.

Darn, I am long winded!

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Mom - loved the long winded post.  Couple of things.  Do you have a neighbor you can alert to the situation who can check in on the 12 year old?  Just for back-up.  Don't worry about the nipple yet - that will be stage 2.  One of the beauties of the NOLA docs and Dr. M is that they do "other" things and know how to write/code so all is covered.  They will find a way!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

We have one neighbor, that my husband more talks to than me, so we will probably let him know what is going on, just in case.  Sad, we really don't know many of our neighbors...it is more "hi and bye".  Some, I don't know their names.  Growing up on LI we knew everyone around the block...and they knew us!  People don't come out any more.  Have we gotten that busy?

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Mom... About the nipple, they will use the areola skin to make the nipple, so then just tattoos later to even it all out. And about the belly button. Yes, I am sure he will fix it, but maybe not til stage II. They are all so great at taking care of the whole picture. I know of women who get teh tummy tuck at stage II after hip flaps. I know Dr D asked me if I wanted that when I didn't initially get the DIEP flap. He wasn't sure it would be worth it to me, since I didn't have a ton of ab fat, but he offered. Your kids sound great, and I think you could even enlist a teacher to follow up with your 11 year old daily.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

mom, remind me where you are in the DC area.  There may be a former patient closer to you than you think.

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

mom... are you on our FB group?? There is another mother of 5 from DC in the group who went to NOLA... How coincidental!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

No Betsy, I am not.  How do I join?  And that is a coincidecne.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Mom, have you told your older ones about your concerns/fears with the county laws?  If they know about it I am sure they will be extra vigilant. You raised good kids!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi MartyJ - I am south of DC in Prince William.  I have to schedule a sit down with the boys to go over schedules and stuff in the next few weeks.  I will let them know then.  I am sure they will laugh and think I am being paranoid :)  I mean, I know there are kids in my neighborhood that are alone after school, or on weekends, much longer.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

know it well as I went to HS in Springfield.  If you need help I can get in touch with a girlfriend, retired cop, who is part of a first responders network and she will probably know some one close to you who can check in.

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

mom... friend me on FB Betsy Schreier Davis and I will add you... In the meantime, motherandchild5 is the other mom of 5 kids from DC... PM her maybe?? She just had surgery this Fall in NOLA.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

MartyJ - Springfield is not far at all.  When I first moved down here I did display work for JC Penney in Springfield Mall.  I was just up at Mike's All American not long ago...and the Total Wine store not far from there :)  

Actually, I like your idea of your friend knows anyone down this way.  If you need more specifics as far as local I can PM you.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Mom - PM me with your name, address and telephone number.  I will email her and see if she knows anyone near you who can help.  Or, she may actually have a better handle on whether you have anything to worry about.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014

Hi Ladies,

My surgery was 3 weeks ago and I am wondering what you have used to put on the scars?  

To all who are getting ready for surgery - prayers are heading your way.  I can not tell you how happy I am  with my care at the hospital and the clinic.  I know in my heart and mind that I went to the best place available.

Best of Luck to you all and thank you for all of the sharing!

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

I wouldn't worry about the scars til after stage II... They will then give you scar treatment, which you start at the 4 week mark... What happened with the FB thing? Try looking for me again... Others have found me.

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2014

Momof5kids, I had an 8" scar from a previous laparotomy oopherectomy just above my pubic bone that was hideous and you could still see where the staples were.  Dr S took care of this in the surgery -- just lowered the section cut out for the flap.  I don't know where your scar is, but if it is in between your naval and pubic area it can probably be included if you are having a DIEP. I also asked to have my scar revised under my armpit from a previous axillary node dissection and he took care of that too.  It looks so much better and isn't as painful.

Speaking of throwing in other procedures, I keep thinking how great it would be to have a neck lift but I'm afraid to ask.  I talk myself out of it saying that's silly.  I'd be so embarrassed if anyone knew if had it done, and it seems a bit greedy of me to ask for it.   Seems like I would need to pay extra for that if he would even do it.

My stage 2 surgery is 2 weeks away.  I'm having my annual open house party this Saturday with about 50 guests.  I do this every year to celebrate my birthday which is Friday.  Did I mention I'm single and my son is 9?  So it's just me entertaining all these people. Work is crazy.  It's cold as hell in my 120 year old drafty house.  52 degrees in my hallway this morning.  Heat doesn't seem to be working downstairs.  I'll need to turn the emergency heat on for my party if the hvac guy coming over tomorrow can't fix it.  I have my disability squared away and travel arrangements, but really have had no time to think about what to bring.  I'll figure that out the morning of my flight in the 17th.  There is a million things I should be doing, but I can't bring myself to get out from underneath my electric blanket in the only warm room in the whole house.  The last thing I want to be doing is grocery shopping.

I'm anxious for my MO to call me.  I sent her an email demanding that she consent to my port removal.  I went to interventional radiology and they were able to access it but it felt like torture.  I will not allow anyone to use it again and I want it out.  It's not needed for Herceptin.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

MartyJ and Zenful - sent you both PMs.

marsha1970 - I am not a candidate for the DIEP, so they will taking the flaps from my hip.  My laparotomy scar runs from above the pubic bone to about 2" or so above my belly button.  I don't know what my gynonc was doing, but where it ends it looks like a second belly button (maybe she was making up for the fact that she messed up the original, which is now no more than a slit within the scar). You would think with all the other stuff going on I would not concern myself with this stuff - but it is ugly LOL (and maybe I am vain - I keep hearing that Carly Simon song). So, I guess I will see what happens when I am down there. 

You are a brave lady entertaining 50 people!  But good for you!  Birthdays should be celebrated.  I am sure you will have a wonderful time and hopeful the body heat from all your guests will warm the house. 52 in your hallway...YIKES!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2014

momof5kids, I bet he will help you out with that scar.  Definitely ask in your presurgery consult.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2014

vxborden,

I was told to not do anything with the scars as they would likely be touched for stage 2.  Reach out and ask, each patient (and doctor) are different.

Pat