Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited December 2013

Some opinions needed.  I just finished my exchange 3 months ago. I thought my surgeries would now be completed. But, I am not happy with the symmetry of the two breast. As soon as I got done with the exchange I started applying for new jobs.  Well, I have some interviews set up - but, according to federal guidelines you have to be at a place of employment for 1 year following a leave.... My job now does require some lift and pushing patients in a hospital. My new job likely won't require that.

Has anyone changed jobs while doing the above and what was the outcome? How much time did you need off from a revision?

Any opinions would be helpful. Thank You

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2013

STIX.. all of my revisions were for DIEP/GAP breasts and donor sites, which I am assuming is more intensive than implant revisions, involving lipo etc.... And I was able to return to work one week post op... but usually took 2 weeks.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited December 2013

thanks Betsy. Appreciate your response.  One hangs differently- so, I image there will be some stitching and pocket work. I am not an expert at this though... Do you still think about two weeks for what I just mentioned

..  I have an appt. in feb to see another PS and am sending my med. records elsewhere.  I just need as few surgeries as possible- and I am willing to travel (as long as my insurance covers it)- so that I can get on with my life.

thanks. stix

Any other responses would be helpful! 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

I don't know what pocket work entails... But I would imagine any revision would keep you down for a week or two.

• Pamiam45
    Pamiam45 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

Hello ladies! I am getting excited for my stage 1 surgery jan 22! Where do you recommend staying? We would like to stay in a hotel vs the Hope Lodge. I got the info from NOLA about the options, but just wanted your input as to what you'd recommend. Thanks ladies!:)

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2013

Hi, Pamjam -- lots of us have stayed at the Homewood Suites. You can get a suite with kitchenette and separate bedroom so the caregiver has some space to hang out while you are resting. They have free breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and it's a reasonable slow walk or quick taxi to the French Quarter. When I was there, I had groceries delivered from Whole Foods and enjoyed some of my favorite simple meals (which saved money for nice meals) as well as the kefir and prunes one loves when taking lots of meds. The bathrooms are really large for drain-stripping and rebandaging, although those floor-to-ceiling mirrors were a shock post-surgery!

Every one of us brought too much -- you don't need much! I did enjoy having my iPod, a wrap-around dress in thick cotton, and some really thick soft-soled shoes for slow walks. Good luck with preparations!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2013

I loved the Bienville House, a boutique hotel right in the French Quarter. It is charming, clean, feels like a bed & breakfast and we could walk or take the streetcar to ... anywhere! The staff are so kind to us "Gals from the Center" & price is very reasonable with our Center discount. I also really liked eating at the Royal Oyster Bar for chargrilled oysters, Alberto's in the French Market for vegetarian sandwiches (you have to ask him to make it - it is a special secret), and The Southern Candy Co next door to Bienville House for the everything Smile.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2013

Another good thing about Bienville is that there is a Walgreens within a short walking distance on Decatur Street. www.bienvillehouse.com

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

I have stayed at Homewood, Bienville, Monteleone and Omni Royal plus the Hope Lodge, and for stage I recovery, I vote for the Homewood Suites. When you return for stage II, the boutique hotels are great due to their location and atmosphere... Bienville also includes a breakfast, but Monteleone and Omni do not. I am headed back in April for tattoos and will be back at the Homewood due to cost. The boutique hotels the week I am there are over $300 per night. Happens to be French Quarter Fest week.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2013

bdavis, you are going to be soooo thrilled with the vinnie finish line, Sooo glad I found out about Nola and was able to swing it, I feel like my old self again and it is a wonderful feeling :))

Good luck to all the women who are still going through the process.

Have a great weekend to all you lovely ladies

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2013

bdavis, you are going to be soooo thrilled with the vinnie finish line, Sooo glad I found out about Nola and was able to swing it, I feel like my old self again and it is a wonderful feeling :))

Good luck to all the women who are still going through the process.

Have a great weekend to all you lovely ladies

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2013

Pamjam, the Center also has discount codes for a lot of these places. They are listed in the section on travel or accommodations.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2013

Well ladies packing for NOLA. Going in tomorrow to have some time with my family. Tests on Monday and surgery on Tuesday. I am so ready to get this over with! Read all of your posts every day. This board has helped to to prepare so much. Thank you to all! Have a great weekend!,

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

you are in good hands VW Bordelon. As said before, you just have to show up.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2013

vw..safe travels and you will do great

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2013

Pamiam45

I am coming up the weekend before and staying at a Vrbo.com rental. In fact I need to choose a property this weekend. I'm traveling with my mom and prefer to have a separate bedroom, and it's nice to have a living area, kitchen, laundry, and sometimes a porch. I wish we could stay there all week but we can save a lot at the lodge.

I use vrbo everyplace I travel where I will stay more than 2 days. Especially if it will be a whole week. It's often so much more comfortable than a hotel and not as expensive as you think.

Marsha

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

I did VBRO the last time I was there for one week. It was one block from groceries and pharmacy. Also, on the street car line and it stopped right by the Center for my post op. it was private and nice. Cheaper than hotels. We did it for $100 per night. We didn't need a rental car.

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

Just spoke to Dr M on the phone and she put the kabosh on my hopes of being drain free. She said she just does not want to risk any fluid build up on my hiney given my history. The wound is most vulnerable she said at 2 weeks as the glue and monofiliment stitches work they way off. SIGH. I really wanted to wear jeans this week....waaaa waaaa. Well maybe next week ---you can do anything for a week right? I have an endometrial biopsy on the 23rd and hope its out before then. Other than that I feel pretty good. Energy levels returning but holding back on too much activity til that drain is gone!

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

I know a week sounds like a long time, but it will fly by this week, Maggie. You are such a trooper. It will be out soon and that is the bottom line. Hang in there like you always do. I will be in Vero Beach for the month of February. Can't wait to see you again.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Maggie, I heard that Dr. Marga was giving a symposium in Florida while I am there. We should find out where this is going to be and attend.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Maggie... Today I went compression free for the first time in 3.5 weeks... I have been wearing jeans with compression, but oh so much more comfy without. I have been drain free for 1.5 weeks and kept that baby til it almost ran dry. I feel your pain, but also know what having a pseudobursa means and fluid in the butt.... Stay the course.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2013

Betsy, yay for compression free! Congratulations!

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

thank you ladies...I know you all understand it all too well. I just should not have gotten it stuck in my head that she would let it go yesterday. With my history we have to be extra cautious or I am liable to end up with fluid there again....no repeats. Today I woke feeling better and know that I can do this for another week. I have been in compression since March so it is not like I am not used to wearing it. It was more the thought of not having to take any antibiotics as my body is reeling from them as I was on them before surgery for the bout of cellulitis in my arm. ah well....what is a week in the big scheme of things---It is now only 6 more days ;)

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

that's the Maggie we know and love!!

Marty ((((((hugs)))))

Betsy- Compression free! I am at 12.5 weeks. Will make to the middle of January. Then I am in FL for 6 weeks and I am NOT wearing it there. I think 4.5 months will do it.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2013

((((((Marty))))))

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited December 2013

Good luck vw...you are in good hands:) Did I miss something with Marty? Betsy..How's it all looking? I still need to put my pics up on the forum>Hubby needs to take pic and we have been exhausted. I've been wearing a little compression at home for my legs..but it's hard when he doesn't want my butt compressed. Any suggestions?

Mags....one more week will be over before you know it:) Hugs!!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

hi all! Thank ou for your good wishes. Surgery lasted about 3.5 hours. Dilaudid handling pain. Vomiting seems to have cleared the acid from my stomach. Ate dinner. Hoping for uneventful evening. Melanie, this was 2c. One to go.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013

Melanie... Things look good, but I think the fat grafting he put on left breast went away... Still much better, but seemed better right after surgery. I do have a limit though. So unless he can add some fat while I am there for tattoos, I guess it won't happen. But we'll see.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Marty- glad to hear you are out! I am sure you will have an uneventful night. Heal well and take it easy for a while.

• mags20487
    edited December 2013

congrats Marty for being on the other side. May the next few days be kind to you. Sleep well my medicated friend

Mags