Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2014

VW... I would start a list. As something comes up that bothers you, write it down, even if you think it might improve. And don't be shy. Never hurts to ask. Look at anything under the neck, and ask yourself where you want improvement. I had inner knees lipo'd. Twice. Ask away. I was looking for the whole package. In the end you want to look in the mirror and be thrilled. And for me, Dr D brought up the knees, not me, and I went with it. Cause if he sees it, then it must be so. I had a list, but let him talk first. And he hits on everything or most of my concerns before I even look at my list.

So make a list, but listen to the doctor first.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2014

momof5..I'm curious how your implants with the flap are doing. Are you on the picture forum? I was considering implants for more projection. I didn't do it because Dr. Sullivan  got me big enough. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Melanie... her surgery is in February.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Hi Russell1 - Feb 5 is the big day.  I am curious to see how the implants with the flaps will look/feel as well.  I am secretly hoping he can find enough on my hips to NOT have to use the implants. The ones I have are soooo uncomfortable. But, from what the center has said, the ones they put in will be a fraction of the size (these are the Natrelle 410s 580???) I have now, which are way too wide for my frame.

I will definitely be posting on the pic forum after stage 1.  I have no doubt they will look, and feel, 200 % better :)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Betsy, Maggie, Marty, how are you all doing? I miss "talking" with you. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Hey there Cherie!  You leaving for Florida soon?  I finished my 2c in December.  I could do more and was scheduled for March and August, but cancelled March.  I need to let these girls settle a bit.  Dr. M got my incision scars a bit more even, though not where she really wanted them.  The dent at the inner side of my righty doesn't seem to change no matter what she does.  And, I am tired of surgery every 3 - 4 months.  So, we'll see where I end up.  I might go to see Vinnie in Maryland in a couple of months.  Still working things out in my mind.

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Hey Cherrie... I am here... Today is my birthday and I am sick as a dog....

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday Betsy!  Sorry you are sick.  The rest of the year will be much better!

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Can only get better, right?

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday Betsy.  Hope you feel better soon.  Did you get that awful flu?

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2014

Betsy, I was just singing to myself the other day "it's getting better all the time"

I've got to admit it's getting better(Better)
    A little better all the time (It can't get no worse)
    I have to admit it's getting better (Better)
    It's getting better
    Since you've Ben mine

I just looked up the lyrics and I don't like the whole song, but I'll let the chorus stick in my head as a theme song.

I arrived in New Orleans last night.  My mom and I are staying in a rental and sightseeing.  We will check into the Hope Lodge on Monday.  We went on a riverboat cruise today. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Lynn... No, just a nasty head cold

Marsha... jingle away.

• m1970
    edited January 2014

I've developed a chest cold and in so worried it's going to get worse and I'll have to postpone my surgery. I'm at urgent care in Nola. I forgot to bring the list of meds I'm not supposed to take before surgery. I've emailed Laura but it's Sunday. If anyone is able to sent me a soft copy of preop instructions please pm me your email. My instructions were sent secure mail and are no longer available. 

Anyone have to cancel surgery because of a chest cold?  Mine have been terrible I believe due to Herceptin. It's not bad yet and I'm afraid they won't do anything for me. 

Thanks

• m1970
    edited January 2014

I found the preop instructions from my first surgery, so never,ind about sending them

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

They will only cancel if you have a fever

• m1970
    edited January 2014

they moved my preop up to Monday which is fine... But I have plans to go swing dancing Monday night and not happy about being all marked up which will show in my dress. I MUsT get this last bit iof dancing in because I don't know how long I'll be out of commission! 

Cough seems to be gone but I have a z pak. May come back when I'm vertical. 

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Marsha - they may not mark you up two days out.  The markings won't last.  I have had my pre-op 2 - 3 days out and we discuss what will be done, then got marked up before surgery.  You may get to swing dance without looking like a smurf.  You won't be out of commission anywhere near as long as Stage 1ThumbsUp.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Marty, I know what you mean. My divot in right breast has been lost to reabsorption twice. I am going no further with it. It was a long year for me with 4 surgies. Enough. I see Marga in April for post pics that I decided to do as a favor. Leaving for Fl tomorrow morning. I took off my compression last Monday after 4.5 months of 24/7. I just didn't want it in FL. I think I did well and literally no one else wears it as long as we do. Trying not to feel guilty, but thrilled at the same time. I hope to see Maggie as I will be near her. We may be going through Charleston on our way back to Virginia. (Either Feb.28 or March 1) Sure would like to see you if we do.

Betsy- it is not fair having a cold on your birthday. I think of you often and know you are going through a lot. Hang in there. 

Marsha- have fun swing dancing. Sounds like fun. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Cherrie... Thank you :)

Marsha. I was once marked up two days in advance... maybe ask them to take off the ones that show after pictures.And they told me not to scrub so they wouldn't have to re-do... you'll be fine either way. Dance away.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

I guess the marker didn't stick so well to my body.  The purple stuff came with 2 Hibiclens washes for 2a.  For 2c, she used a regular sharpie - that stuck.

Cherrie - I would so love to see you again.  We should be in town.  Do not feel guilty about removing the compression.  I am not sure any more time would be helpful.  Sort of think Marga says 6 months in an attempt to keep us on it for more than a few weeks.  I am 5 weeks from 2c and went to 12 on and 12 off at week 4.  I had to, my body was rebelling and it wasn't adding to my mood. She only did a bit of lipo on the outer thighs this time.  I think she was leaving fat available if we needed to do more work.  Now, if I could only get my face done.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited January 2014

Celebrate the week for your b-day. Happy birthday

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Thanks Stix

• Stix
    edited January 2014

yep!

• Stix
    edited January 2014

BDavis- I have that head cold.  I am popping Claritin (generic) twice a day - even though its only once a day. I got an old Keflex  script filled- I know its likely viral .... but, I have it on hand now in case I need it.  Plus the saline nasal lavage with motrin.  Its miserable...but getting better. 

Better yet betsy..... celebrate every Saturday and Sunday for the next month for your birthday!  Spoil yourself.....  you deserve it!

stix

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2014

I am sixcweeks out from 2b and stopped wearing compression.   She has not lipod yet just did lift on gap side.  It still always hurts there too...compression or not.  I was hoping it would heal and the pain would be gone but guess not

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2014

stage 2 in NOLA next month.  Do they provide transportation for this stage like they did in stage one?

Pat

• m1970
    edited January 2014

patty, yes they provide transportation for stage 2.  Contact Alicia.

My stage 2 surgery is tomorrow.  I didn't think I would be able to get nipples this round but Dr S said that its possible I might so they are marked.  Crossing fingers.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2014

Starting Over, I added your Stage 1 DIEP surgery with Dr. S to the list above. Welcome! 

Patty, YES, they always provide transportation, even just for appointments. (Dr. S, Dr. D., Dr. T, I am not sure about Dr. M, she may not). 

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2014

Welcome Starting Over! I'm heading to NOLA for Stage 1 shortly after you. You'll find everyone here so helpful. I've been given great advice and comfort. Best of luck to you! :)

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2014

thanks Ladies, I will reach out to them tomorrow.  Hmmm, I will be traveling with 4 people...wonder how that will work!   And departing on Saturday, when there are 3 parades in the area!  I didn't notice the 4:30 parade...I thought they ended earlier....should be fun getting out of NOLA!