Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2014

Judy... your tattoos are two days before mine.

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2014

Thank you for all the replies. I've worn a compression garment decades ago for lipo, and I recall that it was not fun. A late May date for Stage 2 will still allow me to get the surgery in this insurance cycle. My new year starts July 1, because I'm a teacher. 

How long do we wear the Stage 2 compression garment? Will I be in bondage all summer? The scheduler told me that she thinks that I'll have hip flaps, but doc hasn't yet asked for pictures, so I'm not really sure if he can do the diep.

• Davy
    Davy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Betsy (or anyone else who has had scar revision),

You noted a few weeks back that your PS moved your GAP scar to the hips? Did you have a SGAP incision in the middle of the buttocks? Dr. K wants me to wait two years and I don't think I want to wait that long...my scars are bad. But I want to do my research to know exactly what to ask for before I go back. I've seen some general before and after pics of scar revision and I feel like there is definite room for improvement with where I currently stand. Any input is certainly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Davy

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Davy... My initial scars were not in the middle of the cheek, but higher... After my butt lift revision, they were higher still, kind of running from hip to a couple of inches from the middle... So I had about 4 inches between the ends of each scar... But this created a puffiness above the crack so in January I had another butt lift, and this time he moved the scar to above the crack, and the two meet.... So since I had Gap and DIEP, I have a 360 degree scar. It is still low enough though that I can wear a bikini. I had a hip flap.... Not sure what the difference is between sgap and gap, except which vessels are used. All I can say is, now my pants stay up and no puffiness. So all is good. 

• Davy
    Davy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Thanks, Betsy, very helpful to know. I need to explore all options at this point. My SGAP scars are in the middle of the cheek. Fine for a bathing suit, but not a thong. After my butt lift the scar positioning didn't change, in fact it added two new vertical scars on each side if the crack. 

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2014

Davy,

Obviously, we all have different anatomy, as well as heal differently from scars. 

My SGAP scars are more like hip flap scars and higher up.  Now, 18 months post surgery, the red scars have FINALLY faded to white and are thinner. Not sure if they will ever disappear completely like the more fine scars on breasts.  My right breast which was massively damaged from implant failure, radiation, and botched revision by two prior plastic surgeons is another story, so very doubtful those scars will be invisible.  (Feedback appreciated from patients further out from surgeries if DONOR site scars completely disappear).  I never used any creams that are supposed to speed scar fading. 

I don't think the revision dates Dr. Kline has given you are set in stone. I would continue to email him updates and pictures and be sure to speak your mind. 

I wonder if the PAP flaps Dr K and C are now doing since our surgeries is the way to go for least noticeable donor site scars ... will be interesting to see how popular PAP becomes in future ... 

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2014

If I could go back in time, I would have gone to Nola for the masectomy & hip flap together. If you are new to this board...Nola is the best!!!!

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2014

I waited almost 9 months before I went back for revision surgery. My body had a long chance to heal and recover. My second experience was also great! The Nola doctors are quite impressive! Whether you wait 3 months or longer--you will be so happy when you are done and your results will be terrific!

• lisa214
    lisa214 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2014

Thanks, ladies, for the information. As usual, you're great! 

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Lisa214 -Did NOLA contact YOU to schedule your stage 2?  I am doing my stage 1 on 2/5 and no one has contacted me about stage 2.  

I received a copy of a letter sent to Dr. S asking for a bunch of documentation; I guess they have not formally approved my surgery??? That is making me nervous.  I emailed the center to ask, since I they told me they had confirmed all my benefits and I was gtg prior to my booking the surgery, airlines, hotel, etc.  I am sure it will work out, it is just making me nervous that this is not done/approved.  

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

So, I just found out that my insurance has not yet approved the procedure!  I was told, prior to scheduling, that my insurance had been verified and that 1) I have one of the few insurance companies that the hospital and doctors are in-network on 2) the procedure is covered 3) I would only be responsible for my in-network copay/deductible.

So, I scheduled surgery, scheduled hotel, etc. Even went Friday for pre-op.  IF this is denied, I am out the $$ (I have a high deductible plan) for the pre-op work, and, the airline tickets. I have never been scheduled for a surgery that was not approved beforehand.  No one told me that this was "tentative, pending insurance approval".  I am sure it will work out, but I was just told by the center that I  "must have misunderstood"....no, it was not made clear that I am making all these plans for a surgery that is not yet approved.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2014

oh momof5 I am so sorry to hear that.

There is time....don't totally panic.  I would definitely be upset too. Can you call the insurance company and ask what is holding up the process?

Pat

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Hi Pat,

I don't think it is the insurance company....the center did not even submit a request for the surgery to be authorized until 1/6, and I guess they did not include enough information.  I am not sure why they would wait so long to submit.  I am sure it will be fine in the end.  I just don't get it.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Mom, they generally don't submit til 6 weeks before surgery.  There was a logical reason for it, but I can't remember now.  Apparently insurance usually says that they need to submit more info.  I had this happen and was freaking out.  By the time I got to NOLA all was well.  Please be patient.  

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

I can see 6 weeks, but they submitted 4 weeks prior.  Cutting it close.  But what bothers me most, was that I was led to believe I was gtg.  I was told the procedure was covered, they take my insurance, the whole nine yards.  I am trying to be patient, but so far, dealing with staff, has been like pulling teeth.  I don't feel like any one down there has been forthcoming with any information. I have to constantly ask questions...and the only reason I know to ask, is because of the wonderful ladies on this board. 

• Pattysmiles
    edited January 2014

while it is great they have so many people working there it can be "not so great" too.  You need to find out the specific person who deals with submitting to insurance...is it Vicki?  Then call that particular person.  I did find that if I emailed the wrong person I never got a reply...poor business if you ask me, and Im sure if I found a supervisor to gripe to that person would have no longer do that, or perhaps be employed elsewhere!

The costs you were quoted will be the same regardless.  Again, sorry you are having this stress.  I'm sure you will have an answer by Friday, if not early next week.

Pat

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2014

MOM--my insurance requires authroization within 30 days of the procedure date.  I had to make my plans based on faith also.  please try not to panic.  They do know what they are doing there.  As mentioned call and get answers.

Maggie-2

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2014

Mom, I hope it all works out.  Surely it will.  The insurance game is absolutely stressful.

If it makes you feel any better, my insurance still has not paid for my initial surgery I had done in October of 2012.  They've paid for my subsequent two, but not the initial one. The Center has never pressured me for payment, but I do get the occasional copy of correspondence between their attorney and my insurance company. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Colonoscopy report came back and the polyps were not cancerous, but tend to be the kind that turn into cancer. I will need a repeat colonoscopy in three years. Happy to not have to deal with this for three years. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Good news, Cherrie!  That' s what we like to hear.  

Had my blood test last weekend, so now it feels like my Stage 2 is just around the corner.  I am too busy at work right now to be nervous.  I know that will come later...

• Pattysmiles
    edited January 2014

yeah Cherrie!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Okay, here's a weird question.  I want to get a massage, but I have still not laid on my chest.  Is it okay to lay on your chest about three months out from surgery?  I still feel as if I should protect them.   Anyone?

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Dr. Massey asked me not to be on my chest for 8 weeks. I think you are good to go. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2014

Mom.. I remember being nervous too, and asked when they were going to get approval, and they told me that they submit about three weeks before surgery. When you submit paperwork, they do an initial inquiry so they know what your coverage is, but they don't submit for authorization til about 3-4 weeks prior. It is very normal for them, and they do this all the time. I know when its YOUR money, you want answers and to be reassured. But do know that before you go under the knife, you will have an agreed upon, signed paper. And I have never heard the amount being anything other than what was quoted. Also, with my 6 surgeries and 25 nights in the hospital, I had to have faith it would work out. And with every surgery, Aetna pre-authorized it, but then got stingy on paying. And with every surgery, getting stingier and stingier. But the Center and hospital know how to get the bills paid, or go down fighting. BUT they will not come after you.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2014

Momof5kids...try to relax about the insurance stuff. Leave it in their hands. Trust me, they want to get paid and will not charge you more than what was quoted to you. Also, about Stage 2. You will not be able to schedule until after your Stage 1 is completed. You can schedule as close as 3 months after. My stage 1 was April 12th and my Stage 2 was July 12th. I just know it will all work out for you!!!! Hugs!!!

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2014

momof5, I'm sure you will get all do this insurance stuff worked out.  Call Nola tomorrow and ask what you can do to help it along.  Also I didn't wait for Nola to call me about stage 2.  I emailed my PA about it and she referred me to the woman who handles scheduling.  

Cherrie, congrats on the all clear colonoscopy.  

Zenful, I had a massage a few months after surgery.  I found a masseuse that specialized in oncology massage and she had a special pillow that had a hole for my breasts.  Honestly the massage was too gentle, since I was really pretty stiff, but definitely I felt safe.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Oh my Audrella....I can't believe that your insurance still has not paid for stage 1...smh.

Betsy - so they told you three weeks?  Good to know.  I think part of the problem, I am finding at least, is that they do not supply good, concise information from the get go.  Yes, they give information about the surgery, but that is it.  Everything else I have had to ASK for.  Seriously, instead of a small folder, they should be supplying you with a binder, outlining what happens not only before and after surgery, but in scheduling flights, transportation, how insurance is handled (when they submit), when payment is due, and...POC for each person that you may need.  I can not tell you how many times I have emailed for a POC for travel, insurance, for pre-op questions.  But, that is just my opinion.  I tend to like things organized, especially for a big "event" such as this.  

Yay Cherrie on your results!  I will be doing the colonoscopy and the endoscopy this Friday. My MO wanted me to go since I have been having other issues and my CEA has been elevated since my surgery in July.  I am not looking forward to the the prep Thursday....ugh!

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

Thanks Russel1 and Marsha1970!  I chuckled when I read "they want to get paid"...so very true!  

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2014

Hi Ladies,

Today I am 4 weeks out from Stage I.  I still have some swelling and a hard area on my prohy side, it has gotten better but not good yet.  Hopefully this will fix itself.  I scheduled my Stage II today for March 14th.  I was hoping some of you verterans can give me an idea of what to ask for, expect. etc.

Hope you all have a peaceful night!!!

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Mom-The prep is the worst part for sure. I hate it, but what is the alternative? 

My doctor finally got more money out of my insurance company for my first surgery 14 months ago. I don't believe she has been paid for any of the other three. The hospital, anesthesia, etc. has been. It has been a fight for sure. I doubt Dr. Massey will take BCBS of Michigan again unless things change. She has not asked me for any more money. I have probably put over $8000 into this. What is money???? Can't take it with you. LOL