Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2014

To chime in on Homewood Suites: I've made 4 trips to NOLA and stayed at Homewood after surgery for all of them. I've been extremely satisfied, until this past trip 2 1/2 weeks ago. When we checked in, our room had no AC and the couch was torn in shreds over 2 thirds of the couch. I'm not one to complain...EVER...but I couldn't deal with the stifling air dealing with post surgery queasiness. We asked to switch rooms, and when they brought us to the second room her comment when we walked in was "oh good, only one hole in this couch." I kid you not--she was impressed with only one rip in the couch!! (this was the concierge lady--can't remember her name, but she's always there and loves us NOLA ladies. my husband thinks she's creepy. I think she's just lonely) 

I was stunned at how the hotel had gone downhill in the 11 months since I had stayed there last. Made me very nervous for cleanliness post surgery, and I will not be staying there when I return for tattoos in July. 

I didn't feel like dealing with management and complaining again, so we sucked it up, but seriously this was not the same hotel I was very satisfied with a year ago. Strange, really. 

Sorry to give bad news, but I wanted to give a recent perspective. 

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2014

thanks I think I will stick with the homeward, I might call back about the 2 bedroom suite. Believe it or not I got free rooms at Harrahs for the few days before surgery. So after my doctors appointments for first 2 days I will be playing some slot machines. lol Marty thanks for the food recommendations and vwbordeleon I will keep that in mind. 

Patty yes I am going for stage 1..... I had called Dr. Marga's office several times during the last year knowing from my research that she would be my best bet due to my lymphedema but I kept thinking I couldn't leave my kids for that long. They are young and I've never left them for more than alittle more than a day so when the surgery date was open around the time they were out of school for winter recess I jumped on it cause at least I will get to be we them the last 4 days. Im sure it will be hard with them there but at least my husband can take them out to the aquarium, the zoo, a movie. I'm definitely having separation anxiety :(

• betny22
    edited January 2014

wow Diane, thanks for the heads up!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

a word on the concierge at Homewood- I really wasn't sure about her at first, but she was very helpful.  She served in the Army as a medic in Iraq. She saw things and is partially disabled from her service.  My husband spent a lot of time talking with her to be sure she was receiving the proper Benefits.  She does try hard and will do anything for us NOLA girls.

VW I agree about Mothers food, but it was my first goal for a walk.  Served its purpose.  And my guys love the idea of eating debris.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2014

DianneNC, that is so sad about the HomeWood! We stayed there 4-5 times through 2010, and it was fab. Too Bad!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2014

I'm practically one year past stage two and all done.  Every morning when I wake up and look in the mirror I am still in awe of the two beautiful breasts I have thanks to Dr. Sullivan.  He took a bad situation (brca positive, PBM in the setting of ovca) and gave me a beautiful, improved body and self image along with complete reduction of my anxiety regarding one of the diseases that was threatening me. I am sooooo grateful. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

I am booked to stay at the Homewood Suites next week.  Maybe I better look for something else...

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Bummer.  I just checked Hotel Monteleone's website and they don't have any rooms.  Well, I will let you know what the Homewood is like when I arrive.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2014

Zen, be sure to ask for another room if yours isn't up to par. We should have insisted, but frankly I was just too exhausted! I had stage 2b and a complete hysterectomy the day before, the last thing I wanted to do was schlep all over the hotel. If enough people complain, they'll get on some renovations. The hotel is too convenient to slide so far downhill. 

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2014

BetNY22...how old are your kids?  Mine were 4 and 9 at the time of my stage 1 and there is no way I would have been able to recover properly with them around.  Is there going to be another caretaker with you besides your husband?  Especially for a stage 1, there is a LOT for the caretaker to do.  Pain meds around the clock, drains, etc.  It's really a huge undertaking and I don't think my husband could have cared for me and the kids....and he's been a stay at home dad before and currently works from home, so kid care taking isn't something that's new to him.  I would have insisted he focus his attention on the kids and that would have been to my own detriment.

I just worry that with kids there, you will push yourself too much and have complications as a result.

• Springtime
    edited January 2014

BETNY, I added your Feb 2 surgery to the list. NOLA? or a different Dr. M location?

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2014

When my hubby & I stayed at Homewood suites for Stage 1 & 2 it was great. However, I did notice the couch ripped in our room too. They told us all the couches were defective and they were getting new ones. Their beds are so comfy & the food is pretty decent for it being included. 

Good luck to all ladies going for surgery! You will be restored

• betny22
    edited January 2014

thanks spring...yes Nola:) 

Audrella, my kids are 5 &10 so they are almost same age as your children when you had it done.  My mom will be here for part of the time they are here but for the last 3 days we are alone....I figured he can take care of my drains and then take the kids out for awhile, Probably a mistake but I just can't go without seeing them that long. Dr. Massey thought it would be ok if it was at the end of my stay. Very interesting, you had your mastectomy on the exact day I did. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it :)

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Bet - I took care of my own drains after the first couple of days.  I love my hubby, but needed to do that to feel in control of something.  It is not hard to do and great to keep you focused.  My DH's biggest role was supervise shower so I didn't fall or faint when the compression came off and to take me on walks as I didn't feel steady enough to do it on my own.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

I also took care of my own drains with my tt several years ago and then again with my BMX.  Like MartyJ, I really needed my husband more for making sure I was ok in the shower, and for walks.  I am sure it will be the same this time around.  

I must be a bad mom, as I am secretly looking forward to getting away for a bit.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

For those of you who had  stage 2 already, how long is the recovery period?  I am taking 6 weeks for stage 1, and if I need to take time for stage 2 I do have STD.  I am hoping to be able to book stage 2 when I am down there.

• betny22
    edited January 2014

thanks Marty and Mom- Lol Mom- not a bad Mom, I came home from my work yesterday and after a half hour of listening to them arguing I thought-I should have stayed at work till they were in bed

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

BetNY22 - you made me laugh.  I have often joked that I work JUST so I can sit and have a hot cup of coffee...in peace :) 

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2014

my mom drove me when I was on pain meds, did some grocery shopping and cooking, and laundry.  That's about it.  She would have done more if I needed, but I like being independent.

I'm taking 2 weeks total for stage 2.  I'll be back at work Monday but I could work today if I had to.

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

I posted to the FB group as well, and two weeks seems to be the winning number :)  So I guess that is what I will plan on.  I may do one week off, and then work at home for a week where I can be more comfy.

• MartyJ
    edited January 2014

Bet - the good thing is that if they are having kid snit-fits after your surgery, you can simply take drugs.  That should knock you out while your DH and Mom deal with the rascals.  

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited January 2014

Does anyone know how long it takes NOLA to get back with you once you

send them pictures?  They already have my insurance info.

Any comments are appreciated

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2014

Hi Stix--I heard from Nola within 1-2 weeks after sending my pictures. The Center has a process and you will speak to many helpful people along the way. My surgery was with Dr. D. and I spoke with his nurse, Jeanine when I had any questions. 

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard-Iberville and I loved it! It was remodeled and is attached to the Ritz. The rooms are designed so you can close the door to the bedroom (King Suite). It was affordable and in a good location in the Quarter. I stayed at the Homewood Suites when I flew in for my consultation but I did not like it as well. I stayed at the Marriott for both surgeries and definitely recommend it!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2014

I submitted on a Monday and had my answer by that Friday.  Perhaps it depends on how busy they are?

Pat

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

Hello ladies... It's been a few months.  I recovered nicely from my Stage 2 DIEP in October... Was shocked since it was much harder than I thought it was going to be... Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a Stage 2b... I have a little dog ear under my armpit/side boob area that really needs to be tweaked... and my right breast is fuller than my left... enough so I wouldn't mind Dr. D fixing it.  I hate to do it... but I probably will at some point.

Regardless, the reason I am here tonight is to ask for any insight from the ladies who actually went to NOLA with a cancer diagnosis.  Since I was prophylactic I am not familiar with the process when a patient has cancer.  A very good friend and neighbor of mine found out today that she has a tumor in her right breast... It is triple negative.  The mammo/ultrasound say it's about .8mm... but she will be having an MRI tomorrow to get better results.  It's apparently near her chest wall.  What's tragic is this tumor was first identified a year ago.  She has had two follow-up mammos and they decided that it was finally time for a biopsy.  I am devastated for her.

I know nothing about treatment of triple negative cancer... I do know chemo is non negotiable.  Can she still be a NOLA patient?  What would be the process?  How soon do they get active cancer patients into St. Charles?  Is it always a mastectomy with triple neg cancer?  If she's interested in a DIEP... would that be done?  Would she have to wait until after chemo?  Is radiation common with triple neg and would that affect her reconstruction?  I'm just not sure of the order things happen.

Any info you gals could offer would be good for her.  Of course by the time I found out today it was Friday evening... Now I'll need to wait until Monday.  My friend is a mess but I have her insurance info and test results... I was hoping I could contact Liz and navigate the process for her... God I'm terrified for her.  The Onc today said something like... "I'm surprised you're still alive and this tumor isn't massive since this was seen a year ago... "... Who says something like that?  Geez.

Thank you so much for any info that I can pass along to my girlfriend this weekend.  I'm not sure she can make it to NOLA... She just wants it out ASAP... it's going to take some convincing on my part if you all think it's the right place for her to go.

Take care.

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

After doing some reading, I see a good majority of TNC is treated with chemo before surgery.  This certainly makes sense.  I would love any other info or insight from anyone out there who knows a little something about this.  Thanks again.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2014

I went to NOLA with active cancer.  I recall it took maybe a week from my first contact to scheduling surgery; surgery was 2 weeks later.  I think it was less than 3 weeks total.  I understand Dr S keeps Tuesdays available for active cancer patients.  What I had to do was send all of my cancer records to NOLA.  And then they sent results to my local docs.  Local docs took care of all my other treatment.  I knew when I contacted NOLA that I had to have MX on cancer side and I opted for BMX due to atypical lobular hyperplasia in the other side,

I don't know what having a tumor close to the chest wall does for surgical treatment.  She may have to have radiation.  Then surgery wise she may end up either getting an implant to hold the skin's place while getting rads and then doing DIEP.  Or they may 'overstuff' the breast to allow for rads shrinkage and do Stage 2 after rads.  These are things the PS and breast surgeon in NOLA will consider based on all the findings.  And yes, she may need to have chemo first.  It may be hard for her to wait to have the cancer surgically removed, but her MO will explain the reason for their recommendation.  Having the treatment plan before contacting NOLA is best, IMO. 

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2014

motherandchild, I had surgery at Nola with active cancer.  I arranged it very quickly and I know others on this thread who did it quickly.  I pushed the surgery out so I could take a 2 week vacation, then work for 2 weeks to tie up loose ends.  They could have fit me in much earlier. I also opted to get a sentinel node biopsy at home instead of doing it all together only to learn I need to radiate the axilla which could make the flap fail.  This is not a standard approach.

Most cancers are an "emergency of the mind" and don't need to have surgery like tomorrow.  Some, though, are very aggressive and really do need to be treated right away.  She will need to know what her situation is.  The doctors comment was insensitive, but I deduct that the tumor is probably not fast growing.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2014

mother...I am triple negative and many doctors do treat TN with chemo before surgery.  Some TN's are resistant to certain chemos so they do this to see if it is reacting and shrinking.  She needs to get a couple of opinions before proceeding.  In my area the surgeon insisted on surgery first then chemo then rads....then months later recon.  This worked for me well and I have no regrets as to how everything was handled as mine was also metaplastic TN and with that the protocol must be surgery first

Mags

• Springtime
    edited February 2014

MotherandChild,

I had active cancer. They decided to do chemo first, before removing it, because it was large. This was a blessing because during this time I discovered NOLA for reconstruction. I didn't know about NOLA initially. It was a thread like this that helped me discover that option. Between Chemo and Radiation I went to NOLA and had bilateral mastectomy. At that time, Dr. D. put in temporary implants to get me through rads. The concern was I had so little fat, he didn't want the radiation to shrink it. After Rads finished, I waited 6 months, then went back for Stage 1. The implants were removed and I had stacked DIEP/GAP on both sides. Then Stage 2 and Stage 2B came later.

They will do whatever it takes. They have dealt with everything. As others said, I was worked in very quickly because I was an "active cancer patient". I actually got a date almost 2 weeks earlier than I got locally. (The options locally were quite limited, as you can imagine!)