Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited February 2014

Momof5kids - I'm certain that Dr. S. will work his magic and you will be happy with your Stage 1 results! You'll be in great hands during and after surgery.

Mother -  I knew that I wanted to have a BMX but I was one of those that wanted the BC out. It was ER+/PR+ and I opted to have a lumpectomy the week after diagnosis. I had a positive SN that led to AND at the time of lumpectomy and then found out that I would need radiation. So, I had Lumpectomy, chemo and radiation then went to NOLA. However, if my tumor had been TN, I would have opted to have SNB and chemo first. Some MO are treating TN with DD AC followed by Taxol and Carboplatin now. There was a study presented at ASCO in Dec that showed patients with TN BC had a higher pathologic complete response rate when Carboplatin was added. The studies were small but it's definitely something to discuss with the MO. I don't like the idea of a MO giving a patient a choice between DD or "regular" chemo. They should make a recommendation based on evidence based studies. Here's the link to the info on carboplatin in TN BC.

http://bcaction.org/2013/12/13/sabcs-2013-triple-negative-breast-cancer-and-carboplatin-trials/

I hope that you're friend receives more guidance from the Hopkins MO.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2014

best to all the ladies that are up for surgery this week and next. 

As a TN girl my thoughts are that your friend should find out if she will need radiation.  This would most likely be determined from the SNB.  Docs love to treat TN with chemo first.  She should definitely get a couple of opinions from the professionals who can help her decide which path is best for her.  I had  surgery first then chemo then rads.  She can ask the docs if they feel that the rads after recon could damage the results.

Maggie

• motherandchild5
    motherandchild5 Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

Thank you ladies for your  thoughtful opinions... I'm writing it all down.  I had seen the study on dose dense chemo and thought it was outstanding news.  She does have some heart issues I guess... murmur, arrhythmias at times... I'm not sure if that will rule it out...I am guessing they will do a full cardiac workup... 

Good luck to the ladies having surgery... I also had a sense of calm the morning of... It was actually so comforting to be at peace with your decision.  NOLA has a way of making you feel right at home.

xxoo

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2014

Cant wait to hear from momof5kids! Zen good luck tomorrow!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2014

Thinking of you Momof5kids and Zen!  

Update on my Aunt.  She went back for additional imaging and said her Dr. didn't think it was anything to worry about and recommended she come back in 6 months.  Good news, I suppose!  Does make me wonder if she should get a second opinion, though. My grandmother (her mother) had breast cancer at 45, and me at 35, so I'm really concerned for her.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Thanks for the loving thoughts. It will carry me through surgery tomorrow. Waiting at the hospital for preop stuff. Thinking about momof5 who is in surgery now. 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2014

My thought is chemo before surgery for triple negative, to be sure the chemo is working.  I don't recall if you said how old she is.  When patients are younger they seem to like chemo first anyway.  I did not have heart trouble but still got a heart work up before starting DD AC/T.  I did not have a choice on my chemo (I was 39 when diagnosed).  But my MO is pretty aggressive and not wishy washy.  I'm glad your friend is getting a second opinion.  It will be useful to have the BS and RO opinions when she goes to see the MO.  I met with my MO before surgery at my request (no chemo was slated until surprise node and tumor found during surgery) and I'm glad I did.

My scans were not very accurate for my tumors and positive nodes.  My last surgery resulted in 10 positive nodes, the largest being 3cm.  Scans showed only one positive node at 1.5 cm.  So.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2014

I would remove the cancer, but leave all the breast skin and nipple for recon time if done locally. Just take the tissue all out and evaluate that tumor. If this could be done in NOLA, that would be ideal because they'd put in implants. I had my BMX done in NOLA and implants put in as "placeholders" to get me through radiation. Substitute chemo in this case. 

Then chemo

Then stage 1.

I did chemo first, then surgery, and we never knew the extent of the tumor, which always bothered me. It sounds like her tumors are small-ish. 

I would be afraid to wait on chemo for too long, OR to get the cancer out, one or the other.  Just my thoughts...

• mags20487
    edited February 2014

So I cancelled my March 5th "assaversary" surgery for stage 2c.  I just have too much going on right now to deal with another surgery and recovery.  My hubby and I purchased an existing business and on top of running the one I already have and running this new one I am exhausted.  I got sick this week as my body just cannot take these 15 hour workdays without something giving.  I am now waiting until July 29th to have some more work done on the girls and my behind and body.

Maggie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

Maggie I did the same thing.  Cancelled 2d in March.  Just needed some time not to be between surgeries. Nips are the last thing and I am torn as to whether to do it or not.  I don't want the high beam look, but would like something small there.  Conflicted.

• Zenful
    edited February 2014

Had a wonderful dinner at Emeriil's last night. Waiting to go into surgery. Dr. D said he is going to make me "swimsuit ready". Love, love, love him. Maybe I will be brave enough to post pics.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014

Goodluck zenful! When do you go in?

So I did it. Unfortunately one half of my tummy was good, the other one had a funky looking vessel so he ended up not touching my stomach. I have hip flaps and a small implant. Not sure of the size. But, from my "birds-eye" view they pretty close to my old/original girls (minus a nipple) on one side. They are smaller than I expected, but some of that may be that I'm used to 580cc implants that don't move. Oh, my favorite thing...they are warm!!!

They had to remove that pain pack...I normally have low BP and the constant medication drip made it too low. So, when. I woke this morning I could feel the incisions burning. I also didn't think I'd be sore up to my collar bone. 

I also have pounding headache, but the nurse was nice enough to get me my first cup of coffee in two days...that plus Tylenol, I am hoping that does the trick.

Has any one had to do a breathing treatment? Last night I started getting tight in my chest, and feeling like I had to cough something up, but it's too sore to get a good cough going.  My nurse had me do a breathing treatment around 3am. 

I am excited to get out if bed and into my own pjs. I am even more excited to get a good look at the twins 😄

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2014

Hi All,

Momof5kids, Zen and Starting Over - thinking of you all this week.  Sending positive thoughts, energy and prayers.  I can't wait to hear about your amazing results on the other side.

Someone asked earlier about meditation and I wanted to weigh in.  I used a meditation cd/MP3 before my Stage 1 and I think it really helped.  It's specifically geared toward surgery.  The woman's voice takes some getting used to, but after awhile I found it very soothing.  She calls up some very soothing imagery that is happy thought-inducing and calming.  I highly recommend this.  I just listened to it a few times prior to my surgery and think it helped calm my nerves a great deal.  It is also supposed to promote healing...  

http://www.healthjourneys.com/Product_Detail.aspx?...

Thanks

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2014

Oops - just realized this meditation cd was on the top of the page and already recommended!  Well, I am endorsing it :)

• betny22
    edited February 2014

so excited for you momof5- it must feel great to be on the other side of that huge surgery, I was so happy to see your post and know you were ok. Check in later and let us know how you are doing with the breathing. Marty I can't wait to be thinking of whether I want nipples or not :)

Thinking of Zenful today! 

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

I have had two cups of coffee and am up walking...couldn't wait to get out of bed! Next I need to get dressed. I hate being in the gown. I'm tired, since they check you every hour the first night, but so happy to be here! 

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014

congrats momof5!  

I believe they give everyone a spirometer to breathe into.  They wanted me to practice that on a regular basis...I too felt "something stuck" when breathing and coughing was a pain! Literally!...keep a small pillow on your tummy to clutch when coughing.  I DID cough up a lump of ick at some point.  I was told to continue the spirometer for a number of days..,which I did. Ni believe it gets things moving and "prevents" pneumonia .

Pat

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

besides the spirometer, I was given some medication in the oxygen that was called a breathing treatment.  Then when I went back into surgery two days after my DIEP the anesthesiologist cleared my lungs somehow.

• mags20487
    edited February 2014

Mom...congrats on being on the other side.  I did have many breathing treatments when I had my gap to replace the failed diep side.  I was bed ridden for 8 days so the treatment was a must for me to get things moving in the lungs.   I hope that you really love your newbies. 

Zen all the best to you!  Happy napping and see you soon

Starting over....best to you tomorrow too

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2014

mother I had stage 1, then chemo, then stage 2.

• Zenful
    edited February 2014

Well, I am up in a chair.  I am going to walk and shower soon, as soon as they are sure I can stand up without falling over. Lol.  I'm still a bit dizzy.  The girls look pretty good from what I can see.  Most of my pain seems to be the areas that had lipo.  I have three drains: one in each breast and one in the right hip, but hopeful that they will all be removed on Monday.  Dr. D said he was going to make me "as slick as a sports car", so I will let you know what it looks like when I get a chance to "lift the hood". 

• Pattysmiles
    edited February 2014

Smilezenful....

• betny22
    edited February 2014

good to hear from you Zen :) hope you are thrilled with the results-I'm sure you will be....feel better! Mom, how you feeling?

I'm a bag of nerves today- I leave in 2 days and still can't believe I'm leaving my kids that long-hoping this snow stays away and there isn't any delays!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2014

You sound great, Zenful!  Rest well.

• vwbordelon
    vwbordelon Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2014

Rest well ladies and let "The Center" do its magic!  Don't forget to take a few walks around- most important!  Here's to you and the new ta ta's!  I will be NOLA tomorrow if anyone needs anything!  

• Zenful
    edited February 2014

I got to see everything when I showered yesterday, and I am pleased, indeed.  Can't really tell how my butt is going to look just yet, but I'm sure it will be wonderful.  My birthday is Monday, and how many people can say they got perky boobs for their birthday?

• LuvSnow
    edited March 2014

I'm tired so I'm going be lazy and copy and paste the update I put on FB:

"Was discharged today...I can't get comfy, but I know that will subside. On the bright side, no real pain. The gals are so swollen, they look like I did when I was nursing ;) I have to give myself shots since I had a blood clot after my laparotomy (due tamoxifen??) in July, but better to be safe than sorry.

Dr Massey came to see me last night. She is such an awesome lady. I'm not even her patient! She referred me to Dr Sullivan and assisted in surgery.

I'm exhausted but all in all things are good. AND, the icee machine was working so I was able to get one to go😃 We are going rent a car and I'm hoping to see some sights before we leave Thursday.

Question, I have a pain in my chest, feels more like my rib/sternum. Has anyone had that?"

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited February 2014

Momof5kids - I had chest pain after my Stage 1. It was on the left side of my sternum and that's the side that the anastomosis was done on. I had worse pain with deep breaths and they were concerned about a possible clot so I had a w/u for that. Fortunately, it was just musculoskeletal pain. It's probably nothing but if you didn't tell anyone at the center about it, maybe you should. I hope that you can find a comfortable spot soon!

• Pattysmiles
    edited February 2014

momof5kids...congrats on feeling good!  The pain in the rib/sternum might be surgically related.  I do believe they remove a part of a rib ....ask when you do the post op consult.  I still have a small bit of tenderness in that area, most noticeable when I lay down on my stomach for Pilates (something new to me!) or if I catch an elbow from one of the kids....my stage 1 was October 2nd.

Pat

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2014

zen and momof5, good to hear from you and hear of your progress.