Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Daylekbraca2
    Daylekbraca2 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014

Hi I am off this coming week for Stage 2 in NOLA with Dr Sullivan (stage 1 left mastectomy and bilateral DIEP 1/21/14.)Looking for words of wisdom on what to expect, what to bring and length of recovery. Thanks 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2014

Dayle.... Maybe I will see you... but with stage II usually you get discharged the day after.

What to expect? Depends on how much they lipo. If they go to town on you, you will feel sore, like you worked out too much at the gym. The good news is that you will recover quickly. Just plan to lay low for a few days. Not moving around helped. Sitting on the toilet was very sore, but I had a butt lift (DIEP and GAP revisions).

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2014

I just added a September date to the list for M1970, for tattoos.  September already!! 

• Daylekbraca2
    edited April 2014

thanks

• Rivkyw
    Rivkyw Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014

hi everyone, I am brca positive scheduled to have pbm in nola July 29. Super nervous!

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2014

Rivkyw - you have come to the right place. These women have helped me get through the waiting (the hardest part). They are a tremendous resource. I had bmx a year ago. There are some things to get through, but you are in great hands.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Welcome rivkyw,  as the saying goes that has been used by many:  "You don't have to be brave, you just need to show up."  The docs at The Center are the best, which you have obviously already concluded. The magnitude of the surgery can seem overwhelming, but it's really not as bad as it seems.   Everyone is different, but I had very little pain. It was "uncomfortable", but not really painful. If you have any questions, everyone here is very helpful and will share their experiences.  We are here for you!

• Rivkyw
    Rivkyw Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2014

thanks so much! I live in cleveland so it is hard for some people to understand why I would go outside the cle clinic for this type of thing but I am convinced that this is the right choice. Especially after going and meeting dr. Sullivan, and definitely, the waiting is the worst!

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

I live in Toledo, so I completely understand your thought process. The best hospitals don't always mean the best doctors. They can't possibly be the best in every specialty. Not everyone will understand why we made the choice we did, but if we follow our heart, it is the best choice for us. 

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited July 2014

I know dr studinger, Rebecca does dieps in Michigan. I have heard she is really good and trained with dr. Allen.  I did not have a diep though... so, I didn't use her.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2014

Sgcam, I added your Aug 23rd surgery to the listing above.

Aug 23 - sgcam - NSP BMX w/ DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA.

Rivkyw, I added you too

July 29 - Rivkyw - PBMX, BRCA pos. 

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2014

I had my PBM one and a half years ago.  Today I had ultrasound and fine needle biopsy of a lump on my chest wall seemingly above my breast but the breast surgeon says there is breast tissue all the way up to the clavicle,  she and I are hoping it is just fat necrosis/oil cyst.  Did anyone go as far as a needle biopsy after the ultrasound? Thanks.

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2014

This post is for you ladies that have had implants, and had them removed to do a DIEP, GAP or PAP flap.

I had to have my implants removed on 2/13/14 after 4 infections.  I never thought that the implants were uncomfortable while they were in, but now that they are out, I can't believe how good I feel! 

I'm considering giving reconstruction one last try.  Both my PS and my ID Dr. agree that I should not have implants again...they feel that my body did not like having the foreign objects in it.  The best tissue donor site...based on CT scan...is the back of my thighs.  So I'm considering a PAP flap.

So, my question is:  How different does a tissue transfer breast feel vs. an implant?  Meaning how will it feel inside of my body.  Can anyone explain it?

Tami

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Tamiami, I never had implants, but my flaps feel like natural breasts. They are soft and bouncy. They are from my abdomen and hip fat.   Are you sure you aren't a candidate for diep?  They can usually find some on your abdomen even if you don't think you have any.   Is it because of the vessels that they chose your thighs?

• Tamiami
    edited April 2014

Thanks Zenful!  I have had a previous tummy tuck, so unfortunately I'm not a candidate for DIEP.  Best available blood vessels are in my thighs.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2014

I had implants. I had hip flaps done with Dr. Sullivan. Much better when sleeping on your tummy or working out. Very perky now!

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited April 2014

I should have said I had implants before the cancer. Had bmx and expanders were placed. During the expander phase, I had infections and had to have expanders removed. 

• Tamiami
    edited April 2014

Thanks Russell1!

• Daylekbraca2
    edited April 2014

HI All

Getting ready to leave SCSH after Stage 2 yesterday. Eating, drinking ,taking only Tylenol at this point and took a shower. 

I visited with Terry (Kookoo ) in the waiting room on Tuesday at our preop appointments. Just left her room where she is sitting up the recliner and looking great after surgery yesterday. 

Next doors to her  was Terry (tlbradyful) who had surgery the same day as KooKoo and I. She is also up in her relicliner looking quite alert and comfortable. So great to connect her in NOLA. 

I will stay in touch. This board has meant a lot me if if I don't post that much. 

With love DK

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Dayle - thanks so much for posting the update.  It was fun to "know" 3 gals having surgery the same day.  Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

• tlbradyful
    edited April 2014

Dayle - It was great to see you today! Thank you for updating. I am back in the recliner this evening. We are all very excited with my new warm breasts! I am happy to hear Terri KooKoo is doing well too. We are next door, but haven't met yet.

A word to those waiting - YOU CAN DO THIS!

• MartyJ
    edited April 2014

Terri - time for you to stroll the halls!

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2014

Hi Ladies, Sorry I haven't posted, I have been lurking here and there. Im so happy to hear of all the successful surgeries. At 4 weeks out from my diep my incision opened on my belly- the opening is quite big (the grossest thing) I had to go to wound care and at first it was getting worse and not better. I have developed terrible anxiety to take a shower each day since I must look at it and take care of it. They say it can take 8 weeks to heal. I was supposed to have stage 2 done at the end of April and even though the doctor thought I should go ahead I decided against it. I will wait till the fall since the only thing she could do was fix my boobs if I did it in April...After all I walked around with a half full tissue expander for 1 1/2 years. I would like to complete everything next time which would mean I wouldn't do nipples...for those who just did tattoos without nipples are you happy? 

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited April 2014

I just got my tattoos Tuesday and I love mine.  Vinnie did a great job on them.  Everytime I have to doctor them I keep expecting to feel nipples, they look so real.  I'm not sorry I didn't do nipples, but each of us are different.  This was my plan from the beginning just to get tattoos, no nipples.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2014

Hello ladies

So yesterday I met Teri and Terri and both are doing well. After my hellos, I went next door and Dr D and Vinnie consulted together with me on my tattoos and a small small revision Dr D will do later, maybe this summer.  Vinnie then did my tats, and as expected they look fabulous. It truly is the icing on the cake. And even though I have regained some sensation, I didn't feel a thing. Even with a small tweak ahead of me, I feel that my journey has come full circle. And there isn't a day, good or bad, even with prior complications, that I regret my decision to have a BMX with flaps....  And I am so thankful to have found such wonderful doctors and staff to guide me through. I have always felt in such capable hands.

Also Jeanine is getting me the scar compound that a couple of women have mentioned. I will report back on that...

And I topped off my day with a yummy dinner at Revolution. True celebration of completion. 

• tlbradyful
    edited April 2014

MartyJ - I walked all the way to the end of the hall last night! I did get to meet KooKoo. She's hanging in as well. 

I didn't end up having a GAP. She was able to do an extended DIEP and get all 3 flaps from the front/side of the abdomen. I am very pleased about that. The expander that was half full and in there for over a year (like you BetNY) made me not have to have skin on the R. She was able to go in through the mastectomy incision around the bottom of my R. No new scars on that side and she saved the nipple. It looks like a normal breast. I will post photos soon. The radiated side did have a lot of skin transplanted. It is also bigger because it's a flap and a half. She said she didn't want to throw any out. It will be easier to match up the R sizewise in stage 2. Does any of this make sense?

• MartyJ
    edited April 2014

You are making perfect sense.  Better to go bigger and remove than try to add through grafting.  

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2014

BetNY22, that sounds like a really difficult process!  I hope it starts healing soon.  Did Dr. M have any thoughts on why it happened?

Glad to hear of so many getting through stage 1 and doing the slow walk around the halls!  

Yay, Betsy!  Happy for you to have that finished feeling!

• MartyJ
    edited April 2014

betNY22 - I know you have Dr M involved.  Keep her posted.  She will be inCharleston in August so you should ask if you can do Stage 2 here.  That might move things along a bit for you.  It is an easy flight from NY.  Eat lots of protein - I mean lots as it will speed the healing.  My last surgery will be in mid August in Charleston - getting nips.

• Ashira
    Ashira Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2014

BDavis;

Congratulations to you! It is wonderful to hear of your satisfaction with your choices and your results. After all that you've been through, you deserve to celebrate. :-)

You were the first person to speak to me of the flap and your experience. It was because our conversation that I decided to keep reading and move forward. My phase 1 had moved up to next Thursday (charleston) and I have an odd combination of fear and excitement. 

Janet, as usual your gratitude and for the whole thing is infectious. I'll have a caregiver upon discharge, but will be traveling and facing my surgery on my own. I am hopeful that when I awaken, I feel even a portion of the wonder you describe. 

As always, thanks to you all for sharing your experiences and helping me to feel supported through all this.