Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2014

Anyone have any tips on the nipple recon? I had them done a 2nd time and am hoping they don't flatten out completely again. I wore the silicone protectors for about 9 days, then switched to the brown ones. Those I'm supposed to wear for 2 weeks, 1 week down already. I did this last time and then some and was so disappointed. Does the tattooing really make a difference and how long after the recon until I can do tattoos? Also the scar on the right side under my arm pit looks pretty raised I've never had that before, I hope that goes down? :(

Wouldn't you know it, I came home from revision in NOLA and my position was eliminated at work a couple days later. So I'm losing my insurance the end of this month.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2014

Maggie, see if you can find a PT that does "soft tissue mobilization."  It's more aggressive than myofacial release.  It really gets down in there to the adhesions.  I love it.  I get relief from it.

Betsy, big hugs.  Big hugs.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

Betsy- I know you have been dealing with this for a long time. I am sure it is still very hard, specially with your day today. I wish I could give you a big hug in person. You have a great attitude. Go live your life as you have so much to offer and it will all be good. ((((Hugs))))

Maggie- That was wonderful news to hear. I am so happy for you. We now have our place in Sebastian and I will not go to Mo Bays until we go there together for crab cakes. We will be back in November through April. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2014

Thanks ladies for all of your support. It really does mean the world to me. And Leigh Ann, I wish I were headed to a Greek Isle... but not this summer. JUST after settling up the bills with the soon-to-be ex, Honda told me I needed 3k of repairs. I did find a cheaper alternative, but that wasn't exactly how I wanted to pamper myself. I am away this weekend for my daughter's college graduation and son's birthday. So even though my husband has left the house, we will be spending the weekend together, mostly.

And yes, my GAP scars are great except for the most recent incision, but it isn't lumpy or ropey, just a little red. I have my tweak with Dr D on June 26, so I will ask again about the compound. Jeanine offered it up when I told her about my marital woes... She of course wants me prepped to date. LOL.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2014

What is this compound, can I call and ask the center for it? I had my revision 2 weeks ago and they sent me home with kelo-cote or something for the scars.

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Its some formula that Dr Sullivan discovered. It comes from a specialty pharmacy I think.

• Cherrie
    edited May 2014

I have used Kelo-cote, scar tape, cocoa butter etc. on breast scars and left tummy scar alone. It is my tummy scar that looks the best. Go figure! Remember to keep SPF ON THOSE SCARS for at least a year. That does the most damage. 

• koalabear
    koalabear Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2014

hi all - I'm 6 days post Stage 1 nipple sparing DIEP with Dr S. Feeling pretty good overall. Scars are healing nicely and I'm gaining strength every day. Sides of foobs are quite swollen and I've got the swelly belly. Skin is a bit yellow in some areas. Post op appt is tmw and I have a lot of questions. My parents are blown away with the level of care received and the quality of the hospital. Will post more tmw. 

• m1970
    m1970 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2014

anyone know the name of this magic compound?

I am not disciplined to do kelocote 2x per day.  I've been trying to do laser scar removal but the first place was jerking me around.  They canceled my first appointment, then called to confirm my second one month later.  I came in, they took my payment, made me wait an hour, then told me they couldn't do it.  Apparently they rent the machine and need a certain number of patients to make it profitable.  I've scheduled with another place and hope I have a better experience.

Dragonfly, I'm sorry you lost your job.  That sucks. 

My marriage ended 3 years after my first diagnosis too.  Interesting statistic.  My sister said the other day this is the happiest she has ever seen me.  It's been 4 years since my separation and 3 since my divorce.  

Right now I have no desire to date.  Everyone bores me. However I have made a project of sprucing up my body just in case I meet anyone intriguing I want to show it to.  The weird thing is I feel uncomfortable when people gush over how great I look.  Im happy with my cosmetic results but I don't know if ill ever feel like this is my body.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2014

you sound great, Koala!  Much better than I did 6 days out! Keep us posted on how your appt. goes. You are in excellent hands. We all love it there. They make it all so much more bearable. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2014

M1970 - find a good dermatologist who has a strong cosmetic practice.  They will have the appropriate laser.  The magic cream everyone was talking about was formulated by some docs and a compounding pharmacist in NOLA.  Like kelocote or mederma or any other treatment, you have to be disciplined enough to put it on by the directions.  I often forget.  I have tried a couple of preparations, but not the NOLA one as Dr. Massey wanted to see it in action longer.  Just remember with laser it will take 3 - 6 visits.  I see that in my future, once we are done.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2014

m1970 - Thanks for sharing and yeah it does suck about the job. I'm trying to figure out what to do or where to go from here. 

As for the scar treatment, I remember to put some of the kelocote on the scars after the shower but that's about it. Guess I can't really complain then if I'm not committed huh? :( My new scars are on my sides near the armpit area and they are strange, every once in a while I get a burning/stinging sensation in them. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2014

Well, it's final!  I'm scheduled for surgery at the Center on June 5th - one week from today!  Drs. Sullivan and Stolier will be the major players on the team.  I'm excited to be closer to the other side of this, but am also getting very nervous.  Yikes!

One love,

tp4ever

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2014

You are in great hands, thinkpink4ever!  Such a great team -- you'll do great. One week away means not long to sit and wait around.  You'll be busy tackling your to-do list and packing and will be on the other side of this in no time!  

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Yeah Toni!!! So very happy for you.  A weight lifted.

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014

Hi there!  Just looking for anyone that has United Health One and has used it for surgery in NOLA.  All information is greatly appreciated!

Tami

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

Tami... You should call Liz and ask her (or Vicky) to look into your insurance. There are also many companies who use third party providers, and the rate is much better. For example, I have Aetna, which is out of network, but I also happen to have Three Rivers, which processes the claims for Aetna, and they have a contract with the NOLA doctors. I had no idea I even had Three Rivers, but Nola looked into my insurance and discovered this for me. So it all worked out. Had I just read that Aetna was out of network and not started the process with them, I never would have known I was covered.

• Tamiami
    edited May 2014

Thanks Betsy!  I emailed them prior to selecting this insurance, hoping to get some guidance, and unfortunately they weren't very helpful.  They just said no, they are not a provider.  I'm pretty sure it was Liz who emailed me back.  That's why I'm asking here...just to see if it's worth trying again.

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

My suggestion is to call Vicky who does all insurance. Her number is 504-529-6750. She can contact your company and let you know what the coverage is. Then they make an arrangement prior to surgery, and whatever the quote is is firm... you wouldn't pay more.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2014

the center was so amazing working with me for not just my initial surgery but for the redo on leftie a few months later...they have never asked for another dime from me than what we agreed upon in the beginning.  My second visit there I ended up staying there for 2 weeks instead of the anticipated 5 days and they still have not billed me.  Such an amazing place with amazing staff!

Maggie

• Tamiami
    edited May 2014

Thanks Betsy!

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Eva- I received your book today. It is the next book on my list to read. 

• koalabear
    koalabear Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2014

hi all, I'm now 2 weeks post op and surprisingly well. There were a few dark days last week - feeling down, wondering what the heck I've done to myself, feeling like my swelly belly was going to burst - but it is a bit better now. I still wake up feeling like my foobs are heavy and tight and swollen. I'm in a coobie bra (so comfy) and today's the last day for a girdle though I may get some light spanx. We are also headed home to SF today. Doc says all is well. He called in the prescription for the scar compounding formula - I guess it's a special pharmacy that makes the compounded formula to order. Dr S said it's the original formula but adjusted with other stuff.  Not sure my insurance covers or not. They also gave me a small tube of kelocote. Will post more as I recover. Thanks all. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

I had my US last friday and saw my Onc today...they are recommending a biopsy.  My heart has sunk to a new level of despair.  Not sure when yet...they will call me to schedule.  They better not mess up what I have fought so hard to get and keep.  will keep you posted

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2014

my fingers are crossed for you, Mags

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2014

Maggie I am so sorry!!! Fingers crossed and tons of prayers going up for you!! 

Koala, you sound great!! Keep resting and taking one day at a time :-)

Hugs to you all!!!

Chelle

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Sh#t Sh#t sh#t Maggie!      I am sure things will be fine but it stinks that you have to wait for a date, procedure, and results. No one can understand this except us. You know the drill, pamper yourself, keep busy, and get something to help you sleep. I am so sorry you have to go through this. We are all here for you Maggie. Thinking of you!!!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2014

hugs and prayers, Maggie.  The waiting sucks.

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

Surgery tomorrow at the Center with Dr. Sullivan and Dr. Stolier.  Let's do this!  I am so ready...

One love,

tp4ever

• MartyJ
    edited June 2014

Maggie - {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}!

ThinkPink - We'll look forward to hearing from you after your nap when you join us on the other side.