Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2014

Think - pm me or bdavis and we can add you to the group.  It is a Nola group, mostly those who have been but some who are interested.

• KooKoo621
    KooKoo621 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2014

Just got my date for Stage 2. Will do pre-op on July 10th and surgery on July 11th. 

Think pink - I was just at the Center on Monday for follow-up, and they told me they would be in touch with dates for surgery. Today's Wednesday, so I think that should give you an idea of how they work. I know everyone's situation is different, especially where finances are concerned, however, I looked at this surgery as something positive I would be doing for ME after all the treatment I had been through. I feel like if I have to pay $100 a month for the rest of my life (extremely unlikely) to have the type of reconstruction I want by the BEST docs In the BEST setting, my money will not be wasted. Just my opinion.  

I pray you will soon have clarity in whatever decision you make.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2014

Pamiam and KooKoo, I added your surgery dates to the listing above.

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2014

I'm so scared to schedule stage 2. I'm not even fully recovered from stage 1. When will all of the scabs be gone? KooKoo you are inspiring me since you were there at the same time as me for stage 1.

• tlbradyful
    edited May 2014

OK, I've returned from my panic attack about stage 2. I have it scheduled for July 2 in NOLA. I am so lucky Dr. Massey and her staff put up with my anxiety and are so willing to work out what I need. BC has made me feel so over-whelmed and out of control for the past 1 1/2 years. It is nice to have some reasonable outlook for a finish date.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Terry - I had an anxiety attack over my 2d and cancelled.  If I had kept it I would have finished in March.  Now I will get nips and my last fat grafts in August.  What's a few months when having fun!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2014

I just posted an updated photo on the forum with tattoos, but also showing my left outer breast being a little flat. I will go to NOLA for a June 26 tweak with Dr D. Basically I think he'll be doing a little lift.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

So ladies, I had Stage 2 about 13 weeks ago and am still wearing stretchy bras. But now that things are settling in, I have an underwire picked out. Is it okay to wear an underwire now?  I never bothered to ask the question but there are certain outfits that might look better with a bit more support. 

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

yes you can

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

Thanks Betsy!!

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Zenful. Dr M doesn't like underwires but I wear now. I also like the Anita athletic bras. Well engineered without underwire. They hold you without compressing. 

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

thanks, Marty. I will check out the Anita bra. I have a sports bra that is really comfortable but still has a bit of the uniboob look. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2014

Ladies, can I tell y'all that you are just wonderful??!!  I've had a really good day today.  Probably the best day since getting the news of DX #2 on May 1st.  Y'all are so supportive and I truly appreciate you all!!!  

I heard from both Dr. Massey's office AND the Center today. The Center is trying to get me down there on Monday for a consult with Dr. Sullivan, and Dr. Massey's office is trying to get me set up for a phone consult.  

I must admit that I'm a little mixed up now and not sure which one I'll decide on.  I'm curious to know what each will quote my out of pocket costs to be, and payment arrangements. I have BCBS of LA, and I do have out of network benefits.  Either way it goes, I'm confident that my outcome would be good with either one of these very skilled surgeons, and that puts my mind at ease....

One love,

tp4ever

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

Great news, Pink!  You can't go wrong with either of these fabulous doctors!

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Zen - I have been wearing #5524.  Runs between $54 and $60.  Definitely not a uniboob look.  My girls look really good under a t in this one.  I also like my Marie Jo underwires.  Yes, I know they are pricey, but they fit better than any of the others.  Ah, life in bras.  I am now making up for 28 years of bra spending I avoided with the implants.

• thinkpink4ever
    edited May 2014

I can't wait to get to the bra part, but I can't absorb all that right now. (Slow down, Toni!)  Trying to focus on getting to the other side first.  In other words, I wanna be like y'all when I grow up....and I hope to get there soon!  I think I'm delirious tonight, but I'm really pumped up about my consults in NOLA!

One love,

tp4ever

• tlbradyful
    edited May 2014

Zen and Marty J - I visited a bra fitter that works with BCBS yesterday. They pay for 4 bras per year even after reconstruction. She is going to have several options for me next week (no underwire, some high cotton content for post stage 2, strapless) . I can't wait. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I'm loving my Soma no underwire vanishing back bra. It has molded cups and tons of support underneath without the wire, $44. Dr. M doesn't like underwire and so far, I'm still a compliant patient. :)

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Terry - just remember all will change after Stage 2 so you might want to save a couple of those "free" bras for after.  I can't believe you are bra shopping at 5 weeks.  Way to go!!!  Wish I could get bras covered somehow.  I'll have to check on it.

• bdavis
    edited May 2014

thinkpink... good luck with the consult. You'll love them.

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

Marty. I love that the Anita is a sports bra. I wore an underwire to work today and have decided that I only want to wear soft comfy bras now. Sports bras seem to be the answer for softness and support together. 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2014

I also liked the Soma wire free vanishing back.  I always wore underwire before but decided to forgo underwires after recon due to lymphedema risk (everyone is different).  

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited May 2014

As God is my witness, I will never wear underwire again (or pay more than $40)!!!

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2014

Bali makes a pretty comfortable wireless bra.  Here is a link to a website that sells them...I think you MIGHT find one of those styles in Kohls , but don't quote me on that!

http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=...

If you fpgo to the home page a coupon might pop up.  Sign up on their website and they send coupons.

If the link isn't working go to www.barenecessities.com and in the search box type in Bali no wire bras

• galiarific
    galiarific Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2014

Terry, I also have BCBS and was wondering if you could tell me how you found out that they cover post-recon bras. News to me, but sounds lovely to go to an actual bra fitter! (obviously not until I'm out of the post-surgery bra, but eventually...)

Paula, I grew up in St. Louis. :)

• tlbradyful
    edited May 2014

At the suggestion of the breast cancer navigator at my hospital, I called and asked BCBS what my coverage was for post-mastectomy bras (4 per yr), silicone inserts (1 set every 2 years), wigs (I can't remember, but I never maxed out), post-surgical drain camisoles (I ordered 2 per surgery), etc. I was shocked to find out how much they covered at 90%. I had delayed reconstruction. To get the bra benefit, I have to go to a BCBS provider. We have two in my city and two in a nearby city. One is a rehab place and the other is a prosthetic place. I could order any wig from any place and submit the bill.

• thinkpink4ever
    edited May 2014

Good to know, tlbradyful!  I will definitely check into the benefits that I may have for the bras and post surgical drains cami's.  

One love,

tp4ever

• tlbradyful
    edited May 2014

NOLA Girls - I love all of the information on the DIEP board, but really am looking for advice specific to the Center doctors, Massey, and SCSH. I am scheduled for stage 2 July 2 and want to know what you all did in stage 2 and how the recovery was. I know there are probably great surgeons elsewhere, but I want to know how it is where I am going.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Terry - I had my ab incision lowered and dog ears removed (2 drains).  We rotated one side and shaped both plus removing some old dog ears from the breast incisions (mine went around the back - old school).  She lipo'd the flanks and reinjected the fat into the breasts.  Because she had to open up both breast incisions, I had 2 drains there as well.  That was for the first, big stage 2a.  Dr. M will just turn you around and around and mark all over you with her purple sharpie.  You will look like a smurf.  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

My stage 2  was similar. Dog ears removed, incision lowered, breasts lifted, fat grafting from flanks, and my hooha lipoed too. I had four drains. The two breast drains were in for a short time. The hip drains were out two weeks later. Much easier than stage 1. 

• thinkpink4ever
    edited May 2014

How do they lower the incision?  That's pretty amazing...

One love,

tp4ever