Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

All this MRI talk has my head in a whirl. The PA at my oncology office wrote a script for an MRI " to watch a suspicious area". It must be medically necessary until those insurance companies understand there is no other way to screen women who have had a DIEP surgery. Mammograms are out. What can we do? I too have a letter from Dr. Massey. That was to prevent my BS from ordering a mammogram she thought I should have. I can't afford to pay for this type of screening every year or two. I am appealing a colonoscopy they said was screening. 

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2014

I'm still confused about follow up after my BMX. There is a possibility of recurrence, albeit slim. But I have my skin and nipples and there can be residual tissue.  I did the MRI for peace of mind and I thought I'd been told no more mammograms. BCBS declared it not medically necessary and said it was investigational so not covered.  Dr Sullivan wrote me a supporting letter and said no mammograms because I had dense breast tissue and my cancer couldn't be seen on mammogram before my BMX.  I should find out soon if my appeal was approved. It wouldn't matter - DIEP or implants. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

if you have a moment, jump over to drmarga.com.  Our own Cherrie is the mermaid of the month.  Great story!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

Marty, thanks for directing us to that story. 

Cherrie, what a beautiful story!  It's hard to let go of our PSs after thay alter our lives in such a positive way. Maybe you could visit with her occasionally when you are on your way to Florida. You sound like one happy mermaid. 

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Thank you so much. It was very hard for me to do as I tend to be a little reserved. She did so much for me and I wanted to share this. THANK YOU.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, you have a wonderful story!  I love a happy ending.  Smile

• sgcam
    sgcam Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014

What a wonderful story- I'm very happy for you Cherrie.  I am 7 weeks post Stage 1 today, I hope I can look back at some point in the future and appreciate the journey.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

sgcam- You will. It just takes time. We are women warriors!!!

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

Awesome story, Cherrie!  Thanks for sharing your journey, decisions, and outcome for other to learn from.  You are an amazing mermaid!

sgcam, hey neighbor!  I'm one week out today, and I'm coming along pretty good.

I got all four drains out yesterday, plus I pooped again!  Life is good.  Now I'm in the "guaranteed to ride up and slide up" ab compression binder for one week.  Also, got a Rx for Motrin, and will probably stop the narcotics as soon as I get the script filled today or tomorrow.  

Also, it looks as if I need to soon get into the world of post DIEP monitoring concerns and the MRI controversies.  Okay, at least now I know...

One love,

tp4ever

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited June 2014

Cherrie ....great story! I remember when you started this path to Dr. M. She is simply a jewel!!

Re...MRI follow up. I had a letter from Dr. M, my Onc , and my BS saying MRI after DIEP was necessary, especially since I had a positive node in the internal mammary node chain. BCBS still denied coverage:( 

Very frustrating. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

the radiologist said she believes it is scar tissue--WOOOOOOOO!!!!  She recommended an MRI for follow up then if something shows up to do a biopsy.  I am not sure if the insurance will allow it now as it has only been 8 months since the last one so we shall see.  I am sure she is right...scar tissue or necrosis

Mags

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2014

Great news, Maggie!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

Yea!  Maggie!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

WooHoo Maggie!!  Happy dance!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2014

I have had some luck with appealing Aetna's decisions. They denied my MRI, but I wrote to them and they covered it. And today I called them because they covered one tattoo, but not the other, stating "same procedure in one day"... so I said to the woman, two tattoos, two nipples... did they expect me to do them on different days? So she resubmitted.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Yahoo Maggie!!!!!! That is wonderful wonderful news.

Jaycee- Will you stop monitoring unless they pay for it?? I am appealing my colonoscopy now, but have a breast MRI in August. I can't afford these screenings. I didn't know this would happen. Argggggg!  Nice to hear from you again. 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited June 2014

Cherrie....well, It will be 2 years Dec 2014 since my last MRI. I think next time I will start early and try to get approval prior, rather than after the MRI. I know I will be unsettled with no monitoring whatsoever.  That is right about the time I go off Femara so I will be doubly on edge I'm sure.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Yes, the whole insurance thing is a real bite and even before Obamma care. They don't want to pay for prevention, which just doesn't make sense to me. Scary as I am no Spring Chicken. Gobble gobble. 

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2014

HI......is anyone at the FORCE conference? I am here. Late register. Life has been so busy. - even missed my surgery anniversary on may 11th. 3 years ago and all is going great. I check back to see if anyone else is here.

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

Eva, Dana, Galia and Dr Sullivan are all there.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited June 2014

we are here! Kbodie and motherandchild5. On our second bottle of wine.... Saw Dana at lunch 

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

Where was I when everyone planned to go? This is like an hour from me.

• tigsun
    edited June 2014

I saw Eva and Dana.  b.....I was just assuming you would be there because it is so close.  I had marked my calendar and then it slipped my mind until my reminder went off Friday.    I saw some from Nola.

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

I am so upset... I would have loved to have gone.. I was basically available today, but I have committed to a graduation party tomorrow afternoon... and then it ends, right? Tomorrow night? I am free Sunday, but I guess you all are leaving.

• bailey2
    bailey2 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2014

Cherrie--great story--you must be sooo happy to be finished!

Maggie--wonderful news!

• tigsun
    edited June 2014

Betsy - don't be upset.  There will be another one.  I am sorry it slipped my mind or I would have mentioned.  I had gotten so busy living life I hadn't been here for awhile.

• bdavis
    edited June 2014

No worries... hopefully next time. I am so glad so many of you ladies got to meet up.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2014

I have not been on here in a while but I received a bill from the center today.

I had some appeals that have been denied and I received a bill from the center subtracting our agreed amount and showing a very large amount still due :(

Has this happened to anybody else? I am very nervous because no way can I afford this amount of money and it shows this  amount due for stage one only.

Will these bills keep coming in for the other stages? I understood it that Vicki amount given was what would be due..:please let me know if anybody else has experienced this, I am so sad that I received this bill on a Saturday and have to wait until Monday to contact them on it :-(

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

Marcie...so sorry...is it a bill from the center or a notice from the insurance showing what was paid and what the outstanding amount owed is??  I am hoping it is just a misunderstanding.  I have a 6 figure bill still due from last March when leftie was redone and I had to stay in for 13 days, and have never gotten a notice from the center just from the insurance showing that they were not going to pay anymore.  Whenever an appeal is denied they send out a new notice.   HUGS to you and try not to panic until you can talk to someone

maggie 

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2014

hi Maggie,

I have been getting those bills from my insurance for a while but this one is from the center so that is why I am concerned. I am trying to keep busy and not concern myself until I can talk with someone from the center. I wish they had verbally contacted and spoke before just sending this out without any explanation. (I have immediatly forwarded all my insurance checks to them the very next day i received them) and with as much care as they put into everything it seems like this is so out of character. I will wait and talk with them tomorrow, thanks for your response and I don't want to put any unnecessary worry on anybody here, please keep up the good, hard work....the end result is soooo worth the struggles :))