Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

mags, I am praying for you. It's something we all fear. I have a breast MRI in September and I worry they will want to go digging. Sending hugs  

Pink, sending gentle hugs and healing vibes  your way. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

Zenful- Will your insurance cover the MRI? Mine is only covered because they are "watching" an area. Otherwise it is a screening  and not covered. I can't afford if it doesn't. Mine will be in August. 

ThinkPink- hoping for fast healing and good results.

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, good point. I hadn't really thought about it because it was always covered before. I will have to check with my insurance company. Thanks for the heads up. 

• dixie60
    dixie60 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2014

I think if you have a history of BC, insurance covers ongoing screening, but of course every plan is different and I am certainly no expert!

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

My colonoscopy was not covered. I am appealing. Apparently 2 family members that have died of this and one aunt currently fighting it wasn't history enough. As it turned out a polyp was removed so next time will be covered. I am learning to call and check everything out. My screening at dermatologist wasn't covered, but hope the mole they removed two days ago is. I have history of pre- melanoma. So tired of the insurance thing. 

Lesson: check before doing any procedure

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, do you mind telling me what insurance you have?  I'm in MI too and just switched insurance companies June 1st, and I'm hoping it's not to a company that doesn't cover these important tests!  Good luck on your appeal!!

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

I am BCBS of Michigan for retired teachers. 

• tlbradyful
    tlbradyful Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014

{{{Mags}}} my heart hurts for you! 

Cherrie - you may ask the dermatologist to recode your visit since it ended up being diagnostic (since you required treatment). Same with colonoscopy if they found something. Sometimes adding abdominal pain as a complaint before colonoscopy will get it covered. I find often insurance denies at least once unless you send additional information. That's why insurance companies are so rich. Did I mention my husband works in insurance??? Still, I hate the business side of insurance companies.

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

Thinking of you Mags.  ((Hugs))

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2014

thanks ladies...still have not heard from the breast center to schedule the biopsy...gonna light a fire tomorrow and get some action.  I feel stupid cuz I texted Dr Massey and asked her if there were any special precautions to protect the "girls"  for the biopsy.  Stupid because I would hate for anything to happen to them now after all it took to get them when I really should be worried about so many other things!

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2014

Interesting Cherrie...we always hear the BCBS is so awesome.  I like the idea of having those tests recoded!  Good luck!

• tlbradyful
    edited June 2014

Mags, they are important! Do call Dr. Massey and find out how to best protect them. You can worry about both the biopsy and the breasts.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Mags- Dr. Massey will call your Dr. She did that for me. My RO wanted a biopsy, but Dr. M asked to see the films first. She talked to the Dr. And told her it was fat necrosis and that I should have a follow up MRI in 3-6 mo. I would definitely get in touch with her and talk to her. Call Becky too because she knows her schedule. She is in the Chicago office now. 

Tlbradyful- I suggested that to my derm, but it didn't sound hopeful. I think in the future I may not preschedule and come in to have something looked at. We'll see. Thanks for the hints. It's all in the wording and what you put down on paper. That is how they code it I believe. Keep those hints coming. For my MRI in August, my MO said watching an area in the left breast. That makes it medically necessary. It should be covered. 

Tamiami- My coverage with BCBS while working was wonderful for myself and the whole family. It is much different as a retired person. Now I understand that there is a problem in America with how we take care of the elderly. I would think prevention would be key to the insurance company to save money in the long run. I accused them of this in my appeal. I have not heard back from them. I just started the process a couple of weeks ago. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

My June 5th surgery went well. Drs. Stolier and Sullivan did an amazing job, and the staff did a wonderful job at managing my pain, and I had no nausea whatsoever. I haven't found out yet exactly how many nodes were taken, but the prelim reports stated that they were clear! It was a good experience to wake up with breasts. 

One of my besties from high school is a CRNA at another well known hospital in NOLA, and she has friends that work at SCSH.  She asked them to take extra special care of me, and boy, did they ever!  They put us in a suite, and my daughter and friend were both able to stay the night with me.

I was released from the hospital on Sunday evening, and even the 70 minute drive home was comfortable. I was expecting every bump to cause me pain, but I did well. So far I'm very happy with choosing the Center and going with the DIEP flap, and I don't think there will be any regrets...I am truly blessed!

One love,

tp4ever

• mags20487
    edited June 2014

Dr M wants me to have the biopsy.  Said no special precautions at this point.  Just had to have a freak out on the phone with the Diagnostic center here in order to get in this week....such a pain in the butt!!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

Thinkpink - so glad everything went well!  Sounds like you had a fantastic time (if fantastic is a good description) at the spa.

Mags - sorry about the biopsy, but it will be good to know for peace of mind.  It will help you meet your July 29 date with Dr. M.

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

All this biopsy talk is making me nervous for my breast MRI in September. Has anyone here had an MRI after DIEP that appeared normal, or do they always reveal oddities?

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Zenful- I have had one MRI since DIEP. There was an area that they were concerned about. They had not done an MRI on a DIEP patient yet. Dr. Massey looked at the film and said it was fat necrosis and should repeat an MRI in 6 mo. for added safety. That will be in August. Let them know from the beginning what you had done when you go in for this.

Maggie- we just have to believe all is well. My fingers are crossed for you. It stinks that you have to go through this at all. Thinkng of you. 

• mags20487
    edited June 2014

I had an MRI last October...everything was normal then

Got an appt for Thursday.  US and biopsy back to back...major run around...thanks Obamacare!  The rules have changed and a biopsy can only be done after a consult with the doc doing the biopsy...so dumb.  Had I not cried like a baby on the phone I do not think I would have gotten in so soon.  Report says birad 4, Lobular irregular mass

Maggie

• sgcam
    sgcam Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014

I am about 6 weeks (April 23) post op Stage 1 NSP BMX DIEP- Dr. Stolier and Dr. Dellacroce. (along with Dr. Wise- who I never knew existed until he walked in my room- very nice guy- micro-surgeon.) Weeks 4 and 5 post op were the most difficult for me.  I probably had the most pain then due to the swelling in my breasts.  The breast bone hurt so much I couldn't have my bra touch it and the bras drove me crazy.  I ended up cutting into the elastic at the shoulders so it would drop lower below my breast- I must be long-waisted- and it kept riding up.  My daughter said it looked like Edward Scissorhands helped me put on my bra- great to have a sense of humor :-)  I also had one drain until week 6 and getting that removed was the best.  I had some difficulty with incisions on right breast and abdomen and slow healing with that but it has just recently started to show improvement.  I have not posted before but have found a lot of good info on this site and I appreciate everyone sharing their triumphs and their struggles.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2014

Zenful, I had an MRI in December of both breasts as follow up screening after my BMX last April. My blue cross blue shield did not cover it. I'm on my 2nd appeal and have supporting letters from Dr Sullivan and my oncologist. But I think I'm probably going to get stuck with the $1500 bill. :(. By the way, my MRI was all clear.  

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

Glad to hear of the "all clear" results.  Does insurance deny it because you have had a mastectomy?  Do they think it is unnecessary?

• NOLA504
    NOLA504 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014

tp4ever ... So glad to hear everything went well!! If you had still been there Monday I would have dropped in for a visit ... But I'm happy for you that you were able to go home : )

I'm very bewildered about the MRI's and ultrasounds and biopsies. I thought that the great thing about having a mastectomy was that we *wouldn't* have to ever worry about these things anymore??? I thought I was in the clear from now on. I currently have implants. Maybe I should just keep the implants and not do the DIEP?? If there's no breast tissue left then what are the MRI's and biopsies for?

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

My MO wants me to have an MRI one year after my BMX. It is to look at the chest wall, which has a very low recurrence rate, but says that is really the only place left to monitor.  Unfortunately, the radiologists see weird things on the MRI because they are not used to seeing DIEP breasts on MRI. I guess we are the "trailblazers".

• tlbradyful
    edited June 2014

Waiting right there with you Mags.

• mags20487
    edited June 2014

Klanders...that is crazy that they would not cover it...I have BCBS (affectionately called blue crap blue sh*T) and they covered mine when I had one last year.  I did have a suspicious spot then so perhaps that makes the difference

recurrence in the reconstructed breasts after these procedures is very rare.  We get lots of bumps and lumps that sometimes just need to be looked at just to be safe due to our histories.  It does not make a difference if you do recon with diep, gap, implants etc...the risk is still there. 

I am holding my breathe until thursday for the biopsy.  I feel like a chicken as the memory of the first one sits top of mind.  It hurt for 2 weeks until the beauts were gone.  Maybe now I am numb enough that i won't feel a thing.  Such a baby!!! LOL

drinking wine and chewing cheese to relax tonight....may go out tomorrow with the girls just to unwind a little.  Dr M wants me to take antibiotics for a few days due to my LE and risk of infection from it..bleh.  Therapist wants me to mummy up the arm (wrap)to keep any swelling at bay.

Maggie

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

good luck Maggie. I'll be thinking of you. My fingers are crossed. 

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014

Well, today's highlights for me -

• I made my first post-op bowel movement!  I was getting worried there for awhile. Took 5 days and plenty of Colace, Miralax, and Magnesium Citrate, oh, and patience, but it happened! Yay!
    • Dr. Sullivan's office called to change my Thursday appointment to tomorrow instead.  So, I hope to get both breast drains and 1 hip drain out. That will be major for me.
    • Dr. Stolier's office called to give me my path results - only 1 cm, and no cancer in the one sentinel node that they removed!

I'm really pleased with my results so far, and I know it's only going to get better from here. Those guys in NOLA do amazing work!  I'm really not in alot of pain, just some occasional stiffness and discomfort.  Probably will not take any more Hydrocodone after the car ride to and from NOLA tomorrow.

Y'all hang in there and let's continue to pray for each other....

One love,

tp4ever

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2014

nice pathology report!  And going the first time is such a relief!