Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wardrobe pics for boobless days

Options

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited July 2009
    Options

About seeing the big boobs hanging out in the summer....my head goes "moooooooo". hehehehehe

I now see them as sloppy and they ruin the fit of clothes!

• Raye99
    Raye99 Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2009
    Options

Oh, I know that top is so beautiful and it won't be on sale until fall. bah. Ralph Lauren you need to lower your prices.

hehe - Barbe - when I contemplate recon., which is not often and mention it to my mom, she says, why would you want those things anyway???

OK - checked out the Express site and found this cute dress which may work w/o forms.

http://www.express.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=20074&parentCategoryId=2&categoryId=22&subCategoryId=243

• Raye99
    edited July 2009
    Options

I forgot to mention in response to Mom's remark about being at the pool. I know exactly what you mean - boobs galore! Like Cathi, I always ask my husband before going out to the pool or beach, "can you tell"?

• JudyNaomi
    JudyNaomi Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2009
    Options

Dear all, I have started following this thread. I am 40 years old, I had a bilateral mastectomy in March and am having chemo now. I finish at the end of July. My reconstruction did not work, and now I am not sure I can face more surgery after all the treatment. I would love to feel better about myself and how I look - any words of encouragment would be really helpful. I cannot even stand the fact that I have lost my hair, but at least that will grow back. I have bought a mastectomy bra, but find it uncomfortable at the moment. I am hoping that when I feel better it will be more comfortable. Would love to hear from you.

• Raye99
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi Judy,

I am so sorry to hear that your reconstruction did not work. How disappointing that must be. Is that why your mastectomy bra is uncomfortable? You still have soreness from the reconstruction?

Not having hair and breasts is hard. Easier said than done, but try and think of it this way - focus on your goal of getting done with chemo; you are almost there. You will start to feel better physically and your hair will start growing in.   In the meantime, know you are not alone. Maybe try a wig or if you are not a wig girl, maybe a funky hat or scarf or go topless. Put some makeup on and since you cannot wear your mast. bra yet, maybe find something comfortable that you feel attractive in to wear. Surround yourself with supportive people, people who you feel good about yourself with.

Hang in there honey - I know it is tough - I was about your age when dx'd; I was fortunate to have a caring husband, family and friends, as well as the ladies on this board. We are here for you.

Raye

• JudyNaomi
    JudyNaomi Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2009
    Options

Than you so much Raye. I am just finding this whole experience so difficult. I cannot even face the last two treatments. I am really hoping that I will begin to feel better when the treatment is over. How long did it take you to start feeling more normal and to be able to eat normally etc. I keep on telling myself that once I feel physically better I will be better equipped to cope with the physical changes in my body. I am still a little tight around my chest from surgery and the strap of the bra rubs on my port, so I just thought that I would wait till I feel better and the port is removed.

• Raye99
    edited July 2009
    Options

Judy - I sent you a PM - check up under private messages at the top of the screen.

• 1Cathi
    1Cathi Member Posts: 58
    edited July 2009
    Options

Judy - XOXOXOXOXOX You are at such a tuff point right now,  so much is happening at once,  chemo and all the SE from that, the Recon failure, it is all overwhelming,  you are not alone and all the emotion that you have now is sooooooooooo normal. I won't lie and say I believe things ever go back to being "the way they were" before BC, but I do believe it gets better,  I am 3 years post DX and almost a year post MX and I still have MY DAYS,  thats why I come to BC.org,  I have the best DH and family but the friends I have made here,  the love support and knowledge can not be measured. 

Prayers -  Hugs and Love to you my friend.  XOXOXOXOXOXO

Ladies I have the dress shots (several) I'll be posting them soon.  

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

This is one of the dresses Ed bought me for my B'day he used to be able to shop for me on his own,  now its harder for him so he took me out on my B'day I saw this on a manaquin as I walked in the door and loved it,  but of coares the managuin had boobs  - so I walked right past it,  a few minutes later Edsays hey what about this one, I was NO IT WON'T WORK,  my rock my love said why not just try it on -  and YEAH - Think it looks pretty good.

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

This dress I have had for at least 6 years,  when I had boobs, thought I would never be able to wear it - well imagine my surprise -  I can (by the way sorry about the hair  - just finished swimming)

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

Another B'day dress,  this one did take a bit more getting used to, really a flat appearance, but wear it out all the time,  very light comfy and cool for FL summer

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

This is a top I bougt a few years ago - Always a favorite - same thing,  well I can never wear that again - SURPRISE!!!!!!!! I CAN

• mom2two
    mom2two Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2009
    Options

Oh Cathi those pics are beautiful!!! You look totally great in those dresses. I"m telling you, it looks like you have boobs!

Judy ((((((hugs to you)))))). Just come hang with us girlfriend. We're gonna get the hang of this boobless thing together and look smashing as we do.Wink

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thanks mom - the first dress (B'day one ) has some gathering in the top,  and if yeah stand up straight and walk tall and proud the chest just  just seems to follow. THANKS

xoxoxoxoxo

• mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

The black one with the ruffles is beautiful too. And today I bought a top with the ruffled layers like the dress Raye showed us and it was great for the look we need so I know she will like that dress.

• barbe1958
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Cathi, you look GLORIOUS! !! You got the 'tude girlfriend! You ROCK! Kiss
  • jbau
    jbau Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2009
    Options

Wow, Cathi! You look so great. This has motivated me to try to find some clothing that will work. I seem to be so bony and have a hollow place on one side so can't wear anything very low. I love the black dress. I'll try to find something like that.

Judy, I, too, had a failed reconstruction. It is still difficult to think about even two years later but you just keep going and it gets easier

Jennifer 

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

That dress is pretty old too, in fact  thats what I have on in my avatar, sometimes now I wish I had not rushed to get rid of so many cloths after MX surgery,  but you recall those days/emotions, some stuff though I just could not part with and so glad I didn't.   I almost think it looks better w/out the boobs -  more slimming (not that I ever was well endowed anyway).  You must find your camera, we need pics,  its so much fun getting ideas from others.  .

• mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

Barbe why havent you posted some pics, I know you have some great outfits!

• mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

I just hate to go out and buy an new one when there is a perfectly good one just laying around somewhere but might have to.

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thankd Jennifer,  I have a few "issues" with chest contour espically on the left side,  the black dress ties around the neck ( they all do) I find that works good because you can tie them up as tight/high as you want and feel comfortable,  when I wore the black one W/Boobs,  I would have it a bit looser for the little bit of cleavage I did have.

THANK YOU BARBE - XOXOXOXOXOXO  Funny thing is I used to always have slumpy posture,  my mom,  my friends,  even Ed would say stand up straight - I did not have big boobs either  - just a very small B

• barbe1958
    edited July 2009
    Options
    MOM! Go back a couple pages! I was the first one to post pics.....Laughing
  • mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

Do any of you feel like your ribs stick out way more since your surgeries? My tummy too, sometimes I think my posture has changed for the worst.

• mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

ooops, I knew i'd seen those pics somewhere before.

http://www.best-of-web.com/_images/080508-215101-282007.jpg

• barbe1958
    edited July 2009
    Options

Mom, if you have 'fat' on your ribs, that is what they call a 'fat shelf' when they talk about mastectomy. My surgeon told me I might have more problems going flat than a slimmer girl would. Gee thanks!

Your ribs seem to stick out because you don't have anything on top to balance them out. I felt like I had a 2 year olds profile when I first got done.

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

Barbe I heard that fat shelf expression before  - but never quite knew what it meant.  I think we notice our ribs and tummy (no tummy comments Barbe - LOL) becuse we are flat if your looking straight down at yourself,  the boobs big or small would block some of the view.  We just have to BELIEVE we are beautiful,  thats all it is.  I had "ugly" days before MX,   hated my boobs when I had them - LOL.  Then of coarse our butts are big,  our thighs are wide,  it is endless  - we are woman thats what we do.  I'll never  be 20 again,  and inf act I am in better shape now than I was then. 

Say it LADIES " WE ARE BEAUTIFUL"

• barbe1958
    edited July 2009
    Options

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL! (with an exclamation mark!)

I find my left profile is much smoother than my right. I have quite a bulge under my right rib...liver?

• 1Cathi
    edited July 2009
    Options

I have a bulge at the top of my R side (towards the top),  but my concaveness is all on the left (rads),

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL !! (2 EXCLIMATIONS)

• BoobsinaBox
    BoobsinaBox Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2009
    Options

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL!  I have a concave left side and a little tissue left on the right side.  I dug out some camis I bought last year just before I ordered the PALs.  They have the little, thin foam piece, which helps me look more symmetrical.  I was too sensitive to wear them last year (2 years out), but they don't bother me now.  I have not been willing to put my photographs on a website, so I'm trying to figure out if there is any other way to post them here.  I was still working when I had my bilat in 2006, and nearly all my pictures were dressed up.

I discovered that I had what my dad called his "lower chest muscle" after my bilat.  I hadn't seen it before.  It motivated me to get back to the Y, which worked to get me a little flatter, but I still have a major lower rib on the left and a good sized one on the right.  Or maybe the left just looks bigger because of the concave area above it.  Anyhow, I really worked on my posture and stood up very straight.  After I got forms, I began to slump again.  I don't know why.  Now I'm working on getting myself back up straight, with the big smile to pull their eyes up!

Cathi, those are fabulous dresses - on you!  This is the thread I was waiting for, I guess!

Dawn 

• mom2two
    edited July 2009
    Options

Dawn my bilat sounds very much like yours, concaved on the left side and a little tissue on the right.  The physical therapist tried to tell me it was just my pec muscle but if it is its a bit flabby. I worried about it because I didn't want anything resembling breast tissue left. Wonder if its because the surgeons stand on one side so they get that side really well but they then reach to take the other side out and the job they do isn't as effective as the side that is closest to them? Just wondering. hmmmmmm