Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

El--great article, thanks for sharing!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Re: that linked article above.

NativeMainer is a nurse. She has seen it all from the inside out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, my spirit is lifted. On my walk this morning, my SHADOW looked just like a TEENAGER!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Elimar - you got me sidetracked looking at shadow poems & quotes. What fun!! I'm going to be looking for my shadow this week.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Dianarose, nice to see you again!!! I remember when Marybe was really, really sick and her markers were up to like, 3,600. Is a small jump a true indicator of cancer or only of "something" happening in your body; low-grade fever, allergies, infection, etc?????

• elimar

MT, Those morning and evening walks make the most marvelous shadows. You wind up looking just like a fashion design sketch---about 10 heads tall. Shadowy svelte...oh, la la!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wow, I made 7,000 posts now. That's an average of 1,000 per year. Gotta break it down:

2,000 about how doctors let me down.

200 about how doctors did right by me.

700 where I mention Cheetos.

15 where I laugh about labyrinths.

1200 where everyone laughed with me.

600 where everyone laughed at me.

100 where I was teary as I was writing.

10 where people took umbrage.

5 where Moderators busted me.

965 where new Middies were welcomed.

10 final goodbyes (could have been way more.)

1,100 weird, wacky and wonderful pictures.

75 about hot flashes.

21 that were a little risque.

1 THIS one.

(I think that's about it. Now, get out your calculators and let me know how bad I am with arithmetic.)

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Barbe- I have tried to find documentation on what else could cause both markers to go up and nothing that indicates, allergies, stress, etc... Frustrating. I try to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I have no symptoms other then these marker tests. Went to 41, did it six months later and still 41, now one is 68 and the other 70. They claim it doesn't do any good to find mets before symptoms so why the hell to they look for them? So confusing. Hope you are doing well.

• barbe1958

Dianarose, I'm stage IV now. Like you say, why check with markers if they aren't going to make a difference? My new onc says we just have to watch to see where my cancer lands next. He hopes to get a year out of Arimidex before I'll have to change.

Prayers being sent your way, sweetie. Please keep us posted.

• Dianarose

Barbe- sorry about your stage IV 😢. Did you have symptoms? I hate this crap. I feel great but yet there is something going on. I am not a fan of scans. Haven't had one since 2013. If all they are going to do is change my meds why the scan. Thank Hod for Xanax

• barbe1958

I had a lump that was first biopsied as benign so I bought a car and changed my job. I asked for the lump to come out anyway, just for peace of mind, and two days after starting my new job I found out I was stage IV!!!

• Dianarose

Barbe- sorry, that sucks. We must be related. The cancer center gave me a MED certificate and 3 weeks later told me I was stage IV. Do theydo the tumor marker tests on you. Debating on continuing as they are so stressful. I don't like ct scans as I feel like I can't breathe so he ordered the PET scan. He said it is easier to get measurements with the ct scan. Does it really matter? Such a crazy life we live now.

• elimar

Barbe, Not that there would ever be any good timing as far as finding out about being Stage IV, but after the biopsy B9 determination you really got blind sided!

Dianarose, Well, the scans will tell you if you need to change meds or not. The markers really cannot do that. The longer you can keep the cancer at bay with one med. the better so you would not want them to switch you off of one prematurely. Just think of your scan as the most precise way of gathering information. I think it will be a good thing, in that sense.

• barbe1958

No markers and no scans without a symptom so it's less stressful. I can't get an MRI due to my pacemaker so a CT would be my next tool and the cancer has to be bigger to be caught so I know it will be more advanced when found. I am going to a cancer centre that the hospital does have a PET scan at, but don't know if I'd qualify. I've been getting some pretty bad head pain and vision problems but have had 2 CT scans already this year. A couple years ago they wanted to take my pacemaker out, do the MRI and then put it back in!! I said no. Now that I'm stage IV I'm not as worried about anything as the other shoe has already dropped. Weird that I'm calmer now than before the recurrence, eh?

• barbe1958

Oh! And in Elimar's honour, I had a colonoscopy last week and thought about her the whole time! hehehehehhe

No biopsies taken - there was some issues found on CT - a thickening/fold thingy, but wouldn't they have done a biopsy? Results July 14th or so. I'm not worried.

• elimar

Barbe, so you must have had "virtual colonoscopy" then, since you mention CT. Pretty sure that gets done by terrestrials. Aliens are all about the probe. Did not realize that you would have to wait for the results with that method. Does it take a whole month to get results, or you are just waiting til next time you see your doc to go over it?

It has been a while since my last probing but I will get one done in Fall and, if clear, I will graduate to the 5-year plan.

• Dianarose

Barbe-I totally get that about waiting for the other shoe to drop. You have so much anxiety because you know it's going to drop sooner or later. It's all crazy😜.

• barbe1958

I had a "real" colonoscopy, but the reason for it was findings on a CT from February and they wanted me to finish rads first. They thought to stretch out the abuse to my system over many more months than necessary.

• Dianarose

Had the PET scan today. Results on Monday. Stressed 😖

• nativemainer

{{{Dianarose}}}}

• barbe1958

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Diana Rose }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• barbe1958

I get frighteningly calm after a test/scan knowing I did what I had to do and it was all in the hands of the radiologist now. It's waiting for the test where I stress. We get it, though. Trust me!

• Dianarose

Barbe- they always give me a disk of the scan. I don't know how to read it so I don't look at it. It would probably scare me. I know have until Monday to stay in denial.

Native Mainer- hope things are going well for you! Where the heck is Etna?

• nativemainer

Etna is a bit south of Bangor. If you find Bangor on a map, and then follow I-95 south, when you get to Newport you are right next to Etna. Tiny place, doesn't show on most maps.

• Dianarose

I have a niece who has been living in Bucksport. Been there once. She just sold her house and moving my way😍. She sold her 3 bedroom house for 74k. You can't buy anything for that around here.

• Dianarose

Now kidney stones. This sucks. So painful

• elimar

Dianarose, Have you had kidney stones before? What is causing that? Don't they bust up kidney stones with lasers now?

So sorry you are in for a weekend of stones and suspense. Sad

• Dianarose

Elimar- had them once before but not as painful as this time. It is breaking up on its own. Passing little pieces. Could have been there from chemo. Zometa can cause it too. Before it broke up my urine looked like mud. Was full of blood. Now it is clear. On an antibiotic for a week too. Praying this is what made my markers go up.

• nativemainer

Dianarose--Bucksport is a beautiful area.Now you've got kidney stones? No fair!

• Dianarose

Native Mainer- I have a high pain tolerance. Had all my surgeries with not one pain Med. Kidney stones are a whole new pain. My dear hubby wanted to hold my hand or rub my back. Don't touch me 😖. Poor guy. My doctor said inflammation could have made my markers go up. I pray she is right. I am so stressed to find out the scan results on Monday. Everyone says don't worry. Hard not too even though I know it does not one bit of good. Picked a lot of strawberries and going to have dinner with the grandkids and strawberry shortcake for dessert 🤗. My daughter is visiting from California in 2 weeks. Can't wait to see her. For years she has had a lot of weird medical issues. Was told she had MS and other things. She finally went to a different doctor. Was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Probably had it since she was a kid growing up in Maine.

Have S great weekend and enjoy the beautiful weather 😎
  • loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Dianarose...wishing you only good results tomorrow...

• nativemainer

Dianarose--there are things other than cancer that can make the markers rise, hopefully the kidney stones were the cause. A painful cause, but at least one that will go away.